PS4 and WII U stupid Slow Wi-Fi

Hey guys so i dont use my consoles very often other than certain specific games, so after getting some games on discount for my PS4 and WII-U (Killzone shadowfall and Xenoblade) it seems they require a huge update well not that so since one is 10gb (xenoblade) and killzone and other PS4 titles are arround 4gb, what bothers me the most is that i sold my soul for 200mbps connection (100mbps on wi-fi tested it with my laptop and other devices) PS4 show speeds like it was 2002 taking 15 hours to download a 4gb patch, and the wiiu took a full day to download and install the patches for xenoblade, it is painfully annoying to wait that long ive been told to get a ethernet cable, and i tried and the time went from 15 hours to 13.... in the PS4 and the Ethernet adapter i had for my Wii doesnt work on the Wii-u ive tried several "fixes" found on the internet to change the DNS to an open one or to googles, but it just makes it worse at all
pic related to my Ookla speedtest

blel.png

Main PC:| CPU: Ryzen 5 2600 @ 4.1, MOBO: Asus B350 PRIME , RAM: LPX Vengance 2400 16gb kit, GPU: 980Ti Poseidon Platinum 6gb
                PSU: SilverStone Strider Gold Evolution 1200w , CASE: HAF 932  HDDs:240gb EX900 HP NVME 6TB (2x3 Seagate Barracuda)
                COOLING: ThermalTake Contac Silent 12
Laptop:MSI GL62 7RD  CPU: Core i5 7300HQ, RAM: 16GB 2400mhz, :GPU GTX 1050 2GB: HDDs: 256gb adata NVME + 1TB HDD

love all brands, will go for whats cheaper for my needs

2 minutes ago, wrathoftheturkey said:

First: I'm drooling with jealousy.

Next: that'd indicate something wrong on the Wii's side, so I'd try downloading something else and see if that's as slow with ethernet... if not, it might be a software problem

Thanks thats why i said i sold my soul
anyways, it seems media streaming is fine since i can watch crunchyroll and Netflix at 1080p no problem, as far as it goes it is still painfully slow, just tried to download another game (bayonetta 2 demo) and it says will take 5 hours, i mean not even GTA V or Titanfall (both 60gb+) took more than 1 hour to download

Edited by Mauricio G. B.
typo

Main PC:| CPU: Ryzen 5 2600 @ 4.1, MOBO: Asus B350 PRIME , RAM: LPX Vengance 2400 16gb kit, GPU: 980Ti Poseidon Platinum 6gb
                PSU: SilverStone Strider Gold Evolution 1200w , CASE: HAF 932  HDDs:240gb EX900 HP NVME 6TB (2x3 Seagate Barracuda)
Laptop:MSI GL62 7RD  CPU: Core i5 7300HQ, RAM: 16GB 2400mhz, :GPU GTX 1050 2GB: HDDs: 256gb adata NVME + 1TB HDD

Adjusting settings won't help much, a lot of the data is being pass through/provided by Sony/Nintendo/Game developers servers so your speed is limited based on the overall load on those servers, which can be pretty constant depending on the time of day/number of active users.  Not every company can afford massive server farms like Microsoft or big MMO developers so it stands to reason that its slower. 

Then the console has to receive and decode that data, this should not be a major issue for the PS4 but the Wii U could potentially bottleneck if a lot of data arrives at once, it certainly happens on the 3DS.

Project Tank

CPU: Intel i5 4670k :: Motherboard: Asus Z87 Pro :: RAM: 2x4GB Patroit 1866Mhz Intel Extreme Masters Edition :: GPU: Gigabyte AMD Radeon R9 280X :: Case: Fractal Design Define R2 XL :: Storage: 1TB Western Digital Black,3TB Western Digital Green, 120GB Samsung 840 EVO SSD :: PSU: XFX Pro Series Black Edition 850W :: Display(s): LG 23EA63V :: Cooling: Corsair H100i Liquid Cooler.

7 hours ago, Puddleuk said:

Adjusting settings won't help much, a lot of the data is being pass through/provided by Sony/Nintendo/Game developers servers so your speed is limited based on the overall load on those servers, which can be pretty constant depending on the time of day/number of active users.  Not every company can afford massive server farms like Microsoft or big MMO developers so it stands to reason that its slower. 

Then the console has to receive and decode that data, this should not be a major issue for the PS4 but the Wii U could potentially bottleneck if a lot of data arrives at once, it certainly happens on the 3DS.

yea i know that, i wasnt expecting the full 200mb connection, but man, it as slow as a 1mbps connection thats a load of bull, even on the connection test it says like 5mb or even 1 at some times

• 2 weeks later...

all i can say bud is grab an ethernet cable and I feel your pain :(

The Wii U actually has legit slow WiFi. Not sure why. An ethernet adapter does help but it's still a bit on the slow side.

The PS4, PS3, Vita, and PSTV are all limited by Sony's servers. I get the exact same speeds regardless of whether any of these are wired or wireless and DNS settings do nothing. The Google DNS is already the default for my provider anyway. I have 50Mbps down but only get usually around 12-15 on PSN and the PS4 I've seen hit somewhere around 20 but very briefly. I'm still scratching my head as to why some people manage to get way faster speeds though. It has to be a location thing.

Because of Sony's slow servers, I completely quit using their video streaming services. It was too unreliable, yet using the same consoles (PS3 or PS4), Amazon Video plays 1080p movies with zero issues. The same goes for most other streaming services. Only Sony's has a problem.

On 24/8/2016 at 3:28 AM, B16CXHatch said:

The Wii U actually has legit slow WiFi. Not sure why. An ethernet adapter does help but it's still a bit on the slow side.

The PS4, PS3, Vita, and PSTV are all limited by Sony's servers. I get the exact same speeds regardless of whether any of these are wired or wireless and DNS settings do nothing. The Google DNS is already the default for my provider anyway. I have 50Mbps down but only get usually around 12-15 on PSN and the PS4 I've seen hit somewhere around 20 but very briefly. I'm still scratching my head as to why some people manage to get way faster speeds though. It has to be a location thing.

Because of Sony's slow servers, I completely quit using their video streaming services. It was too unreliable, yet using the same consoles (PS3 or PS4), Amazon Video plays 1080p movies with zero issues. The same goes for most other streaming services. Only Sony's has a problem.

well i found my old ass adapter from my Wii, and apparently it wasnt compatible with the WII-U, as for the PS4 i get the same download speeds, but now i get 89mbps upload and 8 download and im like....

On 8/26/2016 at 4:54 PM, Mauricio G. B. said:

well i found my old ass adapter from my Wii, and apparently it wasnt compatible with the WII-U, as for the PS4 i get the same download speeds, but now i get 89mbps upload and 8 download and im like....

There's cheap third party ethernet adapters that work fine on the Wii U. This is the one I got:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00CBD2X5E/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I was having problems watching Nintendo Direct on the damn thing until I got that adapter.