Sleeving: Discussion and Gallery

PBaines

FAQ is being updated daily, patience.

Please post all of your sleeving build photos, sleeved cable photos, and also any sleeving relevant questions :)

F.A.Q
All credit for the photos used in this F.A.Q can be found at
http://en.mdpc-x.com/
http://lutro0-customs.com/

In This F.A.Q I hope to talk about everything that you may need to have knowledge of before you start sleeving. Please do not hesitate to ask questions, as I will more than happy to help :)

Tools
There are different tools that need to be used for sleeving, firstly let us talk about what you will need if you only plan on redoing your original PSU cables

This is your ATX pin remover (24-Pin Cabling, GPU Cabling, CPU Cabling etc) and is a must for any sleever. it is super simple tool to use too. Simply insert into the connector making sure each prong is on either side of the pin and pull it out. 

Take note: Sometimes you might be pulling and it won't come out. This can be fixed by 'pushing' the pin up into the connector more, THEN inserting the extraction tool.
Purchasing information can be found here 
http://lutro0-customs.com/products/original-molex-extractor
or
http://en.mdpc-x.com/mdpc-sleeve/sleeve-kits-tools/sleeve-tools/pin-remover-by-molex-the-original.htm
lc4_large.jpg?2327

Proper_Use_of_Molex_Tool_1_1024x1024.jpg

To cut your sleeve you have two options. Using Knipex Flush Cutters, or using material scissors. The flush cutters are really only good for small sleeve that you use to individually sleeve a cable, where as the material scissors are good for larger sleeve like SATA Sleeve. If you choose to use scissors, they cannot be cheap/nasty $2 scissors. You will have to go and pick some up that are very sharp and do not snag anywhere. Which is why material scissors that old ladies use to do their sewing are great because they are made to cut linen.
The scissors will look similar to this
Pakistan_Sewing_Scissors_Plastic_Handles

And here are the knipex scissors that are available here
http://lutro0-customs.com/products/lc-flush-cutter

lc24_1024x1024.jpg?2327

Something else very very essential is a lighter of some kind. when you cut any sleeving the end will not be seared so if you try and do anything with it all it will do is unravel the weaving.
Imagine you have beautifully platted hair, without putting a hair tie on the end as soon as you move a little bit the plat will become undone. This is the same as sleeving.
To sear the sleeve you will need something similar to this. Which is available everywhere.
bic-lighter-profile.gif

*will be adding a photo here to show how tomorrow*

This will be the number one thread for all sleeving discussion, meaning you shouldn't need to make another thread, eventually over time I will add a F.A.Q to sleeving. However let us share our sleeves!

IMG_7497.jpg

IMG_7706.jpg

thisonei.jpg

img4084s.jpg

img4133l.jpg

resize.jpg

Have you ever sleeved a non-modular PSU? Any tips? Lutro0 says to open it up and get it just on the inside of the PSU to get the best look.

i5 4670k | Sapphire 7950 | Kingston 120GB SSD | Seagate 1TB | G.Skill Ripjaw X Series 8GB

PB238Q | Steelseries Sensei | Ducky DK9087 | Qck Heavy

Build Log: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/44902-from-imac-to-my-own-creation/

Have you ever sleeved a non-modular PSU? Any tips? Lutro0 says to open it up and get it just on the inside of the PSU to get the best looks.

Lutro0 would be correct. I recently sleeved my HX650 And doing that cleaner and kind of easier.

@PBaines , I wouldn't mark it *OFFICIAL* until a mod says so.If they feel its worthy it will be pinned it's not up to you to decide what is and isn't official.

^That came across rather rude, I mean't it more as a suggestion.

Have you ever sleeved a non-modular PSU? Any tips? Lutro0 says to open it up and get it just on the inside of the PSU to get the best look.

I have sleeved quite a few non-modular, and personally I find them much easier. You do not have to measure the sleeve so specifically, as yes like Lutro0 says it is best to open up the PSU. 

Lutro0 would be correct. I recently sleeved my HX650 And doing that cleaner and kind of easier.

@PBaines , I wouldn't mark it *OFFICIAL* until a mod says so.If they feel its worthy it will be pinned it's not up to you to decide what is and isn't official.

All right, have changed it :)

Hey, aren't u the same guy who created the pc desk with over 400 posts?

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

I'm planning on sleeving a XFX Pro 850W Black Edition. How would you tackle the individual, all-black wires that are in each cable? I'm just worried I'll get it wrong when putting the pins back into the connectors.

Folding@Home | BOINC

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X + Celsius S36 GPU: ASUS TUF RTX3080 

MB: ASRock x470 Taichi RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-2666 32GB 

CASE: Fractal Design Define 7 Panda STORAGE: WD Black SN770 2TB + WD Red Pro 6TB

dat sleeving *_____________*
SUBBED TO THTREAD
nice job mate!

Real programmers don't document, if it was hard to write, it should be hard to understand.
I've learned that something constructive comes from every defeat.

I'm planning on sleeving a XFX Pro 850W Black Edition. How would you tackle the individual, all-black wires that are in each cable? I'm just worried I'll get it wrong when putting the pins back into the connectors.

This is what I what I do after every sleeve job I do.

I complete sleeving all of the cables, plug the cables in (NOT INTO ANY COMPONENT) and jump start the PSU. I then use a multi-meter and measure the voltage of each pin to make sure that they are all in the right place.

Firstly, this here is a multi-meter which you can get for <$50 at any place that sells hardware like bestbuy or walmart etc

voltmeter-battery-pack1-005-320x332.jpg

Then, look at this diagram like this and ensure that the voltage being displayed is the same in the picture

atx-connector-20-24pin.jpeg

@PBaines I've already got the multi-meter. Is the process for sleeving the 6- and 8-pins the same then?

Thanks in advance!

Folding@Home | BOINC

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X + Celsius S36 GPU: ASUS TUF RTX3080 

MB: ASRock x470 Taichi RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-2666 32GB 

CASE: Fractal Design Define 7 Panda STORAGE: WD Black SN770 2TB + WD Red Pro 6TB

@PBaines I've already got the multi-meter. Is the process for sleeving the 6- and 8-pins the same then?

Thanks in advance!

The process is the same yes, just make sure you find a pin out diagram with the voltages listed like the above image and then check that against your cables once you've sleeved them to check them over :)

i kinda use the DMM first to OHM out the wire and position of wire in the cavity in

relation to the opposite end. this should prevent incorrect pin out issues before the

first volt runs through the harness. matching PSU output to device input. it is an

extra step, but shorting out the PSU breaker far too many times will render breaker

"un-reliable" for future use. and it is always one or two that are crossed against the

schematic you had made prior to tear-down.

i kinda use the DMM first to OHM out the wire and position of wire in the cavity in

relation to the opposite end. this should prevent incorrect pin out issues before the

first volt runs through the harness. matching PSU output to device input. it is an

extra step, but shorting out the PSU breaker far too many times will render breaker

"un-reliable" for future use. and it is always one or two that are crossed against the

schematic you had made prior to tear-down.

I do love the melty/burny smell when components short... :unsure:

Intel 3570k @ 4.4 GHz |Asus Sabertooth Z77 |EVGA GTX 660 Ti FTW |Kingston HyperX Beast 16 Gb DDR3 1866 (2x8Gb)

|Samsung 840 250 GB |Western Digital Green 2TB 2x |Cooler Master 850w 80+ Gold |Custom Water Cooling Loop |Noctua NF-F12 4x
|Noctua NF-A14 3x |Corsair Carbide 500R (White) |Corsair K95 |Razer Mamba |Razer Megalodon |Samsung SyncMaster T220 2x Computer Bucket List   Greatest Thread Ever   WAN Show Drinking Game  GPU Buyers Guide

2yorhop.jpg

2d7ikao.jpg

28jme1.jpg

2liwh7p.jpg

Just finished my cable extensions for my latest build :) red-black theme.

Is it safe to open up a PSU? Haven't looked inside one yet. I can't find a proper How To video and i am a bit concerned about this. :D

So with non-modular cables you just let one sleeve end hang into the PSU and only finish the side that goes into the connector?

Also: It may be a bit more time consuming but i could save some $ on the multimeter and just do the wires one by one and stick them back as soon as i finish one?

If i am lazy can i just buy the corsair extension cables and stick them into and Sesonic PSU? Seasonic is the manufacturer for corair's PSUs right? Do the cables match?

who cares...

Is it safe to open up a PSU? Haven't looked inside one yet. I can't find a proper How To video and i am a bit concerned about this.  :D

It's not difficult. Just unscrew the 4 screws that keep your cover plate in place and take it of :) but be careful, there might be a cable connected to your cover plate or something. Just unplug this ;)

So with non-modular cables you just let one sleeve end hang into the PSU and only finish the side that goes into the connector?

No, you should definetely NOT do this. If you don't secure both sides, the not secured end will crawl up and will mess up the looks of your sleeving. Definetely secure both sides.

Also: It may be a bit more time consuming but i could save some $ on the multimeter and just do the wires one by one and stick them back as soon as i finish one?

You don't really need a multimeter to test if the cables are correct. If you pay close attention, you will not missplace the cables. You need a multimeter to make sure the cables are working. But that should not be a problem.

If i am lazy can i just buy the corsair extension cables and stick them into and Sesonic PSU? Seasonic is the manufacturer for corair's PSUs right? Do the cables match?

Not quiet sure about this, but I think they will fit :). They should. Google it up ;)

It's not difficult. Just unscrew the 4 screws that keep your cover plate in place and take it of :) but be careful, there might be a cable connected to your cover plate or something. Just unplug this ;)

Does this void my warranty? I usually don't give a fudge about warranty but with PSUs it's different, especially when you have 5 years of warranty.

No, you should definetely NOT do this. If you don't secure both sides, the not secured end will crawl up and will mess up the looks of your sleeving. Definetely secure both sides.

So how are the wires fixated in the PSU? I couldn't find a proper picture of a opened PSU. Can i remove them with the pin removal tool, that MDPC germany sells? or do they screw off?

You don't really need a multimeter to test if the cables are correct. If you pay close attention, you will not missplace the cables. You need a multimeter to make sure the cables are working. But that should not be a problem.

Yeah i can also label them or something. :D

Something else that came to my mind is: how do you sleeve cables that split up? My 6+2 pin PCIe cables for example have ribbon cales consisting of 6 cables but they split up into 8 at the very end.

Not quiet sure about this, but I think they will fit  :). They should. Google it up  ;)

I did. all just a bunch of assumptions, that maybe it will work because seasonic is corsair's manufacturer blabla. :D I'll probably go the costum sleeved route anyways. I think it's fun and more satisfying to sleeve your PSU yourself rather than buy sleeved cables. And it's a lot cheaper.

who cares...

Does this void my warranty? I usually don't give a fudge about warranty but with PSUs it's different, especially when you have 5 years of warranty.

Yes, this does void your warranty. Normally, one of the screws should be covered with a little sticker which says : warranty voided if removed or damaged.

So how are the wires fixated in the PSU? I couldn't find a proper picture of a opened PSU. Can i remove them with the pin removal tool, that MDPC germany sells? or do they screw off? 

The wires are soldered to the little circuitboard inside your PSU. You can not take these wires off. 

Something else that came to my mind is: how do you sleeve cables that split up? My 6+2 pin PCIe cables for example have ribbon cales consisting of 6 cables but they split up into 8 at the very end.

pcie6plus2.jpg

I suppose you mean this? It's hard to do this, but it's possible :). I'd reccomand making cable extensions. Make 6pin extensions if you only need 6 pins, 8pin extensions if you need 8 pins, obviously ;). That's the neatest solution.

I did. all just a bunch of assumptions, that maybe it will work because seasonic is corsair's manufacturer blabla.  :D I'll probably go the costum sleeved route anyways. I think it's fun and more satisfying to sleeve your PSU yourself rather than buy sleeved cables. And it's a lot cheaper.

Totally correct ;) it's very satisfying to see your results. Wouldn't say it's cheaper, but it looks way better.

Yes, this does void your warranty. Normally, one of the screws should be covered with a little sticker which says : warranty voided if removed or damaged.

:( Had to check Linus' video on the G550 because mine's fan down but it is there. :(

The wires are soldered to the little circuitboard inside your PSU. You can not take these wires off. 

I do have soldering experience but you'd have to be very carefull not to rip one off i guess. So i basically shrinkwrap the cable sleeving somewhere inside the PSU?

Edit: Not that i want to unsolder and resolder them but i have some exp on soldering in case something goes wrong. xD

I suppose you mean this? It's hard to do this, but it's possible  :). I'd reccomand making cable extensions. Make 6pin extensions if you only need 6 pins, 8pin extensions if you need 8 pins, obviously  ;). That's the neatest solution.

I hat to power down and open my PC to check but yes the +2 pin cables are squeezed into the 6 pin connector. "It's hard to sleeve them" means that i want to do it. :D I don't want to work with extensions as  i don't want my PC's beack to get messy but predominantley because i want sleeving from my PSU through to the connmector and back! No weird like: here the cable is red and somewhere else it's black kind of cheating. :D

Totally correct  ;) it's very satisfying to see your results. Wouldn't say it's cheaper, but it looks way better.

I'll probably sleeve it around christmas or next spring when i have time and money to do it. Until then i have to rethink wethere it is worth to void the warranty or not.... Can't you just peel it of with a hair dryer and reatach it once you're done? :D

I recently thought about how much sleeve i will need for my PSU. 

I have:

1x 24 Pin 55cm (i assume it has 24 cables and doesn't split somewhere) = 13,2m

1x 4+4 Pin 55cm (same as 24 pin so 8 cables i guess) = 4,4m

2xPCIe 60cm á 6 cables and 2 negligible +2 pins = 7,2m

total: 24.8m so i guess 30m sleeve? I am not to sure if I'll mix red and black or go red only. @MDPC germany it's 9€ per 10m so 27€

And 3x30cm Sata sleeve = 0.9m but i have to buy ridiculous like 5m :D I am not too sure if I'll sleeve my sata. 6.5€ is still less than pre-sleeved Sata Cables though :D

Not too expensive after all. Corsair connector kits cost more + it's not available in germany so overseas shipping + extra duty blabla.

who cares...

My advice for anyone considering getting into custom cables along with sleeving.

• Id recommend heatshrinkless for beginner's, 90% of people can achieve great results with heatshrinkless, same cannot be said for those attempting the heatshrink method, it takes patience and you may not be happy with the end result.
  • Invest in a quality sleeve - MDPC / LC Teleois / Paracord (Do not invest in cheap sleeve, it will be visible in the end, and you will be kicking yourself for wasting hours sleeving)
  • Providing you have taken my advice above the only custom-wire you should buy is 16AWG 2.3mm Diameter Hook Up Wire - This achieves the best results than 18AWG or 16AWG 1.8-2.0mm Wire.
  • If you are serious about custom cables, my only power supply choice is the Silverstone Strider series, this lineup from Silverstone is a sleever's best friend, no double wires, no crossovers just clean lines.
  • Something often overlooked when creating custom wires, Smart crimping, before you crimp the terminal, think how the wire is going to bend, the terminal only goes into the connector one way, avoid having to twirl your new wire, just be smart with your crimping ;)

Akula  | Dimastech Test Bench | Watercooled | Tri GTX 680's | Build of the Week

Mercury | Caselabs Mercury S3 | Watercooled | GTX Titan | Build of the Week

Armada | Define R4 Titanium | Watercooled | EK Waterblocks | Newest Buildlog

How does @lutro0customs 's PET sleeving compare to the all mighty MDPC sleeve? 

How many feet approximately do you need to order to sleeve a full power supply? 

What tools do you recommend to an armature sleever? 

export PS1='\[\033[1;30m\]┌╼ \[\033[1;32m\]\u@\h\[\033[1;30m\] ╾╼ \[\033[0;34m\]\w\[\033[0;36m\]\n\[\033[1;30m\]└╼ \[\033[1;37m\]'

"All your threads are belong to /dev/null"

| 80's Terminal Keyboard Conversion | $5 Graphics Card Silence Mod Tutorial | 485KH/s R9 270X | The Smallest Ethernet Cable | Ass Pennies | My Screenfetch |

How does @lutro0customs 's PET sleeving compare to the all mighty MDPC sleeve? 

How many feet approximately do you need to order to sleeve a full power supply? 

What tools do you recommend to an armature sleever? 

You mean Teleios? I personally have not used that sleeve yet as it is still relatively new. In my next order from Lutro0 (for about 1000 ATX Pins hehe) I will get a few ft of the Teleious sleeve and see which I like better. I think from memory he said the main difference is the diameter. MDPC-X has a slightly larger diameter requiring more of a 'stretch'. And that the weave on the sleeve is the same.

Though as I said, I have not used it personally so maybe Lutro0 can help you there :)

To sleeve a full power supply I would recommend getting 40 meters (130ft) You will still have a couple of meters left over most likely but remember "it is better to have more, and not need it. Then get less, and then need more"

For an amateur sleever I would recommend these tools:

http://lutro0-customs.com/products/original-molex-extractor

http://lutro0-customs.com/products/lc-sleeving-tool

http://lutro0-customs.com/products/lc-flush-cutter

You could also get this heatgun here http://lutro0-customs.com/products/heatgun Or you could get one locally from your hardware store

You will also need a lighter (This  basically is to singe the end of the sleeve so that the sleeve doesn't untangle when you snake it along the wire)

To give some people a rough idea.

I just created & sleeved a smaller length 24-PIN Cable and i used a little under 25ft of wire & sleeve, i wasted roughly 2-3ft of wire & sleeve.

Now I';m stuck with a shortage of wire, plenty of sleeve although ._.

Akula  | Dimastech Test Bench | Watercooled | Tri GTX 680's | Build of the Week

Mercury | Caselabs Mercury S3 | Watercooled | GTX Titan | Build of the Week

Armada | Define R4 Titanium | Watercooled | EK Waterblocks | Newest Buildlog

Hi, I'm having trouble removing the pins from the 24 pin connector on a Corsair CX600M. I am using staples and/or a flattened paperclip. I have been successful on another psu and the 8 pin cpu connector but not on the 24 pin. Does anyone have any suggestions why I cannot remove it?

Thanks.

i7 4790k, Asrock Pro4 matx, EVGA 980Ti SC+, H60, Patriot Viper 8GB, Samsung 840 Evo 250GB, WD Blue 500GB, Seagate Barracuda 1TB, Corsair CX600M, Fractal Design Arc Mini, Ducky Shine 3

Hi, I'm having trouble removing the pins from the 24 pin connector on a Corsair CX600M. I am using staples and/or a flattened paperclip. I have been successful on another psu and the 8 pin cpu connector but not on the 24 pin. Does anyone have any suggestions why I cannot remove it?

Thanks.

the unorthodox way is to "gently bend" the sides of the connectors inward then try to get on either side of it. 

after its been sleeved bend the connector back into original shape.

once again this is the UNORTHODOX way....

anyone ever sleeve a PCIe extension cable? ;) might just spray it down with some plastidip 

http://www.amazon.com/HOTER-PCI-E-Express-Riser-Flexible/dp/B0057M0ABA/ref=pd_bxgy_pc_text_z

41VMmxg2OtL.jpg

Big Bertha3570k @ 4.5GhzASRock Fatal1ty Z777970 DCUII TOP EVGA GTX 780Swiftech H220 w/ NF-F1216GB RAM128GB Kingston HyperX 3K1TB Western Digital Black40GB Western Digital Raptor 10K PeripheralsMionix 3200 MouseCMStorm Quickfire Rapid w/ Cherry MX Blues2 x Dell U2713HM AudioAsus ROG Orion Pro HeadsetSony XB-500AKG K240Bose AE2i​Fiio E10

Samsung Galaxy S45.0" 1920x1080p Super AMOLED screen16GB Storage2600 mAh battery1.9Ghz quad-core Krait CPU2GB RAMCyanogenMod CameraNikon D310018x55mm NIKKOR VR Lens14.2 MP