Nicholatian

The LTT Forum’s CPU Buyer’s Guide [ UPDATED with Kaby Lake and Ryzen! ]

Posted (edited) · Original PosterOP

The Linus Tech Tips Forum’s CPU Buyer’s Guide

Are you not sure what CPU you should buy? Want to find out, but are too lazy to ask? Or maybe you’re tired of the FUD that plagues so many places—which LTT is by no means immune to—and want to trust a source that is peer-reviewed and maintained by a tecchie who knows their stuff. Or maybe you just want to fumble through a list and have us pick a CPU for you, without the hassle. If any of that sounds familiar, then this thread is for you.

This thread will go over what CPUs you should look at for your next build, and will cover a variety of common workloads and budgets. It will be continually updated—provided I’m still around, I don’t plan on leaving anytime soon—so you can expect recent advice here that makes sense with the current market. This guide will only go over CPUs in detail; we won’t be pairing you up with a graphics card we think you might like. You can check the Graphics Card section if you want advice on that. Furthermore, this guide goes off of general, price-agnostic gauges of the current market, and your mileage may vary a little depending on your country; mostly though this guide should work well for people in North America, most of Europe, and Australia.

What you choose from this buyer’s guide will depend on two factors: use case, and budget. To that end, it will be divided into a tree like so. This guide can be very helpful if you’re not sure how much to spend on a CPU, as it will only cover budgets that are reasonable for the workloads they’re for – that’s not to say that it will only go over “the best you can buy”, but it is to say you can expect options for both the low- and high-end of any common workload you would throw at a chip.

Use case: Gaming ( w/ dGPU )

Budget: between 75 and 150 USD

1. Minimum new: Look at the Intel Pentium G4600. If you are on a very tight budget or need something now and plan to upgrade in the future, this will work and provides a large upgrade path that leads all the way up to Intel’s Cannonlake architecture… not to mention it sports Intel’s SMT technology dubbed “hyper threading”. Do note however that Ryzen 3 is on the horizon, and will offer a true quad-core gaming experience for under $150. If you don’t need to buy until the summer or later, this is worth waiting for.
  2. Minimum existing: Your answer may vary depending on your existing motherboard socket.
    • AM4: Look at the AMD Ryzen R3 1100 (releasing Summer 2017).
    • AM3+: Look at the AMD FX 6300.
    • FM2: Look at the AMD A8-6600K.
    • LGA 1150: Look at the Intel Pentium G3220.
    • LGA 1151: Look at the Intel Pentium G4600.
    • LGA 1155: Look at the Intel Core i3-3220.
  3. Recommended new: Look at the Intel Core i3-7100. If you want something that performs very well for its price and provides a solid upgrade path both now and in the future, this is for you. Some major games will be limited by this CPU, however others will run quite happily on this thing. Do note however that Ryzen 3 is on the horizon, and will offer a true quad-core gaming experience for under $150. If you don’t need to buy until the summer or later, this is worth waiting for.
  4. Recommended existing: Your answer may vary depending on your existing motherboard socket.
    • AM4: Look at the AMD Ryzen R3 1200X (releasing Summer 2017).
    • AM3+: Look at the AMD FX 8350.
    • FM2: Look at the AMD A10-6800K.
    • LGA 1150: Look at the Intel Core i3-4150.
    • LGA 1151: Look at the Intel Core i3-7100.
    • LGA 1155: Look at the Intel Core i5-2500K.

Budget: between 175 and 250 USD

1. Minimum new: Look at the Intel Core i5-7400. If you know your games need 4 Real Cores™ and you have the budget for it, this is your cheapest option. It will hold back a handful of games, however a lot of titles should do fine under this CPU. Do note, however, that Ryzen 5 will be released in a couple of weeks (scheduled for April 11), and will provide CPUs that have 2 more cores than the i5s plus SMT which they lack for the same price point, while bearing similar IPC as well for the sake of performance. This is worth waiting for unless you absolutely cannot spare the time. This guide will be updated to recommend Ryzen 5 for this case on its release.
  2. Minimum existing: Your answer may vary depending on your existing motherboard socket.
    • AM4: Look at the AMD Ryzen R5 1300 (releasing April 11).
    • AM3+: Look at the AMD FX 8370.
    • LGA 1150: Look at the Intel Core i5-4440.
    • LGA 1151: Look at the Intel Core i5-7400.
    • LGA 1155: Look at the Intel Core i7-2600K.
  3. Recommended new: Look at the Intel Core i5-7600K. If you want the least amount of bottlenecks in your games for the money, this CPU is for you. Overclocked, only very few games will saturate this chip, so in all likelihood you will be good to go with the latest dGPU from AMD or Nvidia. Do note, however, that Ryzen 5 will be released in a couple of weeks (scheduled for April 11), and will provide CPUs that have 2 more cores than the i5s plus SMT which they lack for the same price point, while bearing similar IPC as well for the sake of performance. This is worth waiting for unless you absolutely cannot spare the time. This guide will be updated to recommend Ryzen 5 for this case on its release.
  4. Recommended existing: Your answer may vary depending on your existing motherboard socket.
    • AM4: Look at the AMD Ryzen R5 1600X (releasing April 11).
    • LGA 1150: Look at the Intel Core i5-4690K.
    • LGA 1151: Look at the Intel Core i5-7600K.
    • LGA 1155: Look at the Intel Core i7-3770(K/S/T).

Budget: between 300 and 400 USD

1. Minimum new: Look at the AMD Ryzen R7 1700. This will bring eight real cores with SMT to your build with very respectable IPC compared to Intel, and at a fraction of the cost compared to their competing i7-6900K, which costs $1K USD. There’s no better time to build a PC with Ryzen in stock, and hopes for Intel to come down on their prices in the future as a response as well.
    • AM4: Look at the AMD Ryzen R7 1700.
    • LGA 1150: Look at the Intel Core i7-4770 or the Core i7-4790(S).
    • LGA 1151: Look at the Intel Core i7-6700.
  3. Recommended new: Look at the Intel Core i7-7700K. This will garner you a slight performance boost in poorly multithreaded titles such as CS:GO due to its massive clock speed potential and similar IPC to Ryzen… however it bears half the core count compared to AMD’s CPU in the same price bracket. AMD’s R7 1700X is well worth considering nevertheless if you have other things you need to do with your PC.
    • AM4: Look at the AMD Ryzen R7 1700X.
    • LGA 1150: Look at the Intel Core i7-4790K.
    • LGA 1151: Look at the Intel Core i7-6700K.
    • LGA 2011-3: Look at the Intel Core i7-6800K.

Budget: 400 USD or more

1. Recommended new/existing: Look at the AMD Ryzen R7 1800X. Sitting on AMD’s brand-new AM4 platform, this Zen-based chip provides plenty of breathing room for gaming and more with its astounding jump in IPC from its predecessors coupled with its massive core count, all at a very affordable price. Intel currently has no product that competes well against AMD in this price range.

Use case: Video/3D rendering ( + gaming, optionally )

Budget: between 100 and 250 USD

1. Minimum new: Look at the AMD Ryzen R5-1300 (releasing in a couple of weeks). At $175 USD it provides a stellar budget solution to an entry-level video editor’s system, and a larger upgrade path than ever before with AMD’s brand-new AM4 socket. Any serious rendering jobs in this day and age shouldn’t be limited by core count, and since the release of Ryzen it is now very affordable to make that happen for your tasks… provided you can wait a little bit. If not, the Core i3-7100 is probably the best you can get cheap from Intel right now.
    • AM4: Look at the AMD Ryzen R5 1300.
    • AM3+: Look at the AMD FX 8350.
    • LGA 1155: Look at the Intel Core i5-2500K.
  3. Recommended new: Look at the AMD Ryzen R5 1500 (releasing in a couple of weeks). Considering it is both overclockable and provides 6 unlocked and SMT-enabled cores to your PC, along with a hefty upgrade path as mentioned earlier, it would be a wise choice for anyone looking for good performance now and even better performance down the road… provided you can wait a little bit. If not, the Core i3-7600K is probably the best you can get in this price range from Intel right now.
    • AM4: Look at the AMD Ryzen R5 1500.
    • LGA 1155: Look at the Intel Core i7-3770(K/S/T).

Budget: between 300 and 450 USD

1. Minimum new/existing: Look at the AMD Ryzen R7 1700. It provides eight unlocked, SMT-enabled cores for your rendering workloads at an incredibly affordable ~$320 MSRP, making it ideal for any mid-range maximum-bang-for-the-buck rendering PC.
  2. Recommended new/existing: Look at the AMD Ryzen R7 1700X. It provides much the same as the R7 1700, plus a higher TDP to allow for better handling of thermals (important for overclocking), and a higher base clock speed as well.

Budget: 500 USD or more

1. New: Look at the AMD Ryzen R7 1800X. Considering the shocking value of this CPU, it is very difficult for me to recommend anything else in this price range… if you need more than what a single CPU can provide, I suggest looking into server equipment or perhaps considering horizontal scaling of your workload. The i7-6950X by Intel was terrible value long before Ryzen reached the market, and with its smaller siblings becoming a terrible value proposition it is now even more painfully evident… but they are there, I guess.

Note: If you need more power than what any of these CPUs provide, it may be wise to look into building a rendering farm using Xeon server chips, instead of an all-in-one workstation.

Use case: Software development / AoT compilation

Budget: between 75 and 150 USD

1. Minimum new: Look at the Intel Pentium G4600. With excellent single-threaded performance and a great out-of-the-box experience with compilers that don’t leverage multiple cores with their workloads, this CPU is great if you’re a casual developer or are a dev who doesn’t do a whole lot of AoT compilation. It will also prove great for users of Gentoo Linux, like most chips in this lineup. Do note however that Ryzen 3 is on the horizon, and will offer a true quad-core gaming experience for under $150. If you don’t need to buy until the summer or later, this is worth waiting for.
    • AM4: Look at the AMD Ryzen R3 1100 (releasing Summer 2017).
    • AM3+: Look at the AMD FX 4300.
    • FM2: Look at the AMD A6-6400K.
    • LGA 1150: Look at the Intel Core i3-4170.
    • LGA 1151: Look at the Intel Pentium G4600.
    • LGA 1155: Look at the Intel Core i3-3240.
  3. Recommended new: Look at the Intel Core i5-7400. If you know your games need 4 Real Cores™ and you have the budget for it, this is your cheapest option. It will hold back a handful of games, however a lot of titles should do fine under this CPU. Do note, however, that Ryzen 5 will be released in a couple of weeks (scheduled for April 11), and will provide CPUs that have 2 more cores than the i5s plus SMT which they lack for the same price point, while bearing similar IPC as well for the sake of performance. This is worth waiting for unless you absolutely cannot spare the time. This guide will be updated to recommend Ryzen 5 for this case on its release.
    • AM4: Look at the AMD Ryzen R3 1200X (releasing Summer 2017).
    • AM3+: Look at the AMD FX 8310.
    • FM2: Look at the AMD A10-5800K.
    • LGA 1150: Look at the Intel Core i3-4370.
    • LGA 1151: Look at the Intel Core i3-7300.
    • LGA 1155: Look at the Intel Core i5-3570.

Budget: between 175 and 250 USD

1. Minimum new: Look at the Intel Core i5-6500. Providing a significant edge against any Core i3 model you can find when multithreaded, you can expect any well-formed project to compile quickly on this chip. That said, it may prove somewhat slower if your project or compiler does not distribute its workload.
    • LGA 1150: Look at the Intel Core i5-4670.
    • LGA 1151: Look at the Intel Core i5-7500.
    • LGA 1155: Look at the Intel Core i5-3570K.
  3. Recommended new: Look at the Intel Core i5-7600K. If you want the least amount of bottlenecks in your games for the money, this CPU is for you. Overclocked, only very few games will saturate this chip, so in all likelihood you will be good to go with the latest dGPU from AMD or Nvidia. Do note, however, that Ryzen 5 will be released in a couple of weeks (scheduled for April 11), and will provide CPUs that have 2 more cores than the i5s plus SMT which they lack for the same price point, while bearing similar IPC as well for the sake of performance. This is worth waiting for unless you absolutely cannot spare the time. This guide will be updated to recommend Ryzen 5 for this case on its release.
    • AM3+: Look at the AMD FX 9590.
    • LGA 1155: Look at the Intel Core i7-3770K.

Budget: between 300 and 400 USD

1. Minimum new: Look at the AMD Ryzen R7 1700. This will bring eight real cores with SMT to your build with very respectable IPC compared to Intel, and at a fraction of the cost compared to their competing i7-6900K, which costs $1K USD. There’s no better time to build a PC with Ryzen in stock, and hopes for Intel to come down on their prices in the future as a response as well.
    • AM4: Look at the AMD Ryzen R7 1700.
    • LGA 1150: Look at the Intel Core i7-4770 or the Core i7-4790(S).
    • LGA 1151: Look at the Intel Core i7-6700.
  3. Recommended new: Look at the Intel Core i7-7700K. This will garner you a slight performance boost in poorly multithreaded titles such as CS:GO due to its massive clock speed potential and similar IPC to Ryzen… however it bears half the core count compared to AMD’s CPU in the same price bracket. AMD’s R7 1700X is well worth considering nevertheless if you have other things you need to do with your PC.
    • AM4: Look at the AMD Ryzen R7 1700X.
    • LGA 1150: Look at the Intel Core i7-4790K.
    • LGA 1151: Look at the Intel Core i7-6700K.
    • LGA 2011-3: Look at the Intel Core i7-6800K.

Budget: 400 USD or more

1. Recommended new/existing: Look at the AMD Ryzen R7 1800X. Sitting on AMD’s brand-new AM4 platform, this Zen-based chip provides plenty of breathing room for gaming and more with its astounding jump in IPC from its predecessors coupled with its massive core count, all at a very affordable price. Intel currently has no product that competes well against AMD in this price range.

Note: if you seriously need faster compilation times than what an 1800X can provide, I suggest you outsource your compilation work to Skynet Artificial Intelligence. Never heard of that? Read this then. ;)

Use case: Home Theatre PC / Entertainment system.

Budget: between 50 and 75 USD

1. Recommended new: Look at the Intel Celeron G3900. At a mere 52 USD MSRP, it provides plenty of performance for all kinds of streaming, even including 4K. It is very good value for entertainment center PCs that don’t deal with gaming workloads.
  2. Recommended existing: Your answer may vary depending on your existing motherboard socket.
    • FM2: Look at the AMD A4-5300.
    • LGA 1150: Look at the Intel Celeron G1820.
    • LGA 1151: Look at the Intel Celeron G3900.
    • LGA 1155: Look at the Intel Celeron G1620.

Budget: between 100 and 125 USD

1. Recommended new: Look at the Intel Core i3-6100. It gives your HTPC a lot of breathing room for the future of cinema, and has an upgrade path that’s far from bottomed out.
  2. Recommended existing: Your answer may vary depending on your existing motherboard socket.
    • LGA 1151: Look at the Intel Core i3-6100.
    • LGA 1155: Look at the Intel Core i3-2120.

Use case: Basic home server / NAS server

Budget: between 50 and 75 USD

1. Recommended new: Look at the Intel Celeron G3900. At a mere 52 USD MSRP, it provides plenty of performance for serving files over your network and over the Internet. It is very good value for low-end server PCs that don’t deal with additional workloads.
    • FM2: Look at the AMD A4-5300.
    • LGA 1150: Look at the Intel Celeron G1820.
    • LGA 1151: Look at the Intel Celeron G3900.
    • LGA 1155: Look at the Intel Celeron G1620.

Budget: between 100 and 125 USD

1. Recommended new: Look at the Intel Core i3-7100. It gives your server or NAS a lot of breathing room for the future of storage, and has an upgrade path that’s far from bottomed out.
    • LGA 1155: Look at the Intel Core i3-2120.

If you have any suggestions or concerns about this buyer’s guide, or want to suggest a use case that you think is relevant, say so ITT and we can have some dialogue about it. Thanks for reading.

Edited by Nicholatian
Huge update with Kaby Lake + Ryzen 7, 5 and 3.

The one and only CPU Buyer’s Guide??owl??The LGBT CommunityPower user of Arch Linux

〜 Some day, we’ll all be free 〜 Some day, we’ll live as one family in sweet harmony 〜

【㆒ACTIVE】HENEN–NESW

CPU: Intel Core i3–6100 (CPUMark ~5,474)  RAM: 1× 16GiB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 DIMMs, CL12 @ 2400MHz  Motherboard: EVGA Z170 Stinger mainboard  Storage: Intel 535 Series 240GB SATA III SSD  PSU: SeaSonic® 400W 80+ Platinum fanless modular ATX unit  Display: 27” 1440p 16:9 ASUS PB278Q +  IPS LCD 22” 1080p 16:9 AOC i2267Fw IPS LCD  Keyboard: Qisan Magicforce 68-key backlit keyboard + Cherry MX Brown switches Mouse: Lenovo ThinkPad wireless laser mouse OS: Crunchbang-like Arch Linux x86-64

【㆒ACTIVE】SENUSRET (Lenovo ThinkPad Yoga)

CPU: Intel Core i5-4200U (CPUMark ~3,267) RAM: 8GiB soldered DDR3L RAM Storage: Unknown 128GB SATA III SSD Display: 12.5” 1080p 16:9 built-in IPS multitouch LCD OS: RemixOS (Android for PC), version 3.0.207

【RETIRED】TYRE

CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q8200 (CPUMark ~2,826)  Motherboard: Gateway/Acer OEM, µATX-compatible proprietary forme factor RAM: 4× 2GiB Green-PCB Generic DDR2 DIMMs  Storage: 500GB WD Green replacement HDD OS: Microsoft Windows Vista SP2

【㆒ACTIVE】WASET (Sony VAIO)

CPU: Intel Core i5–2450M (CPUMark ~3,404)  RAM: 2× 4GiB Green-PCB Samsung DDR3 SODIMMs  Storage: Intel 520 Series “Cherryville” 120GB SSD + WD Black 2.5” 750GB HDD  Display: 14” 768p 16:9 built-in TN LCD  OS: Crunchbang-like Arch Linux x86-64

wow thanks!

Mouse: Logitech g402 <3

Keyboard: Some Tenkeyless with blue kalih switches

Headphones: Logitech g430

Monitor: HP w2207h (1680 x 1050 @ 60hz)

PC Specs:CPU(AMD A8 6500 @3.5ghz), Mobo ( ASUS A68HM-E  FM2+), 1x1600mhz 4gb stick of ram, Random grey PSU, 920gb ssd

PhoneIphone 5 32gb

Tablet: Ipad 2 16gb

Laptop:Toshiba satelite with 8gb of ram a 480gb ssd and a mobile 2nd gen I3

interesting write up here

but here is my input for the cheap gaming CPUs

for the FM2 side with a dGPU the best CPU out there should look at the AMD Athlon 760K

for the FM2+ it will be the Athlon 860K or 880K

APU series chips are only best when you are running only iGPU.

Budget? Uses? Currency? Location? Operating System? Peripherals? Monitor? Use PCPartPicker wherever possible. 

Quote whom you're replying to, and set option to follow your topics. Or Else we can't see your reply.

Hmm, No very biased towards intel. I have to say.

I cannot agree with this in particular

"Use case: Video/3D rendering ( + gaming, optionally )

Budget: between 100 and 250 USD

1. Minimum new: Look at the Intel Core i3-6100. At $110 USD it provides a stellar budget solution to an entry-level video editor’s system, and a larger upgrade path than ever before with Intel’s upcoming Kaby Lake and Cannonlake architectures being built for the same socket."

The FX-6300 which is 100$ can out-perform the i3-6100 at Multi-threaded tasks + to add it can be overclocked to further open the gap. and 3D rendering and Video compiling fall into this category. Yes the i3-6100 will give you a better upgrade path.

ALSO The complete lack of xeons in your post.

the E3-1231v3 will crush any i5 in multi-threaded tasks and are pretty on par with gaming.

Please don't act like you are 100% right cause this will make newbies try to follow guides like this and fuck up.

I can tell you are biased towards intel by the fact you said 

"

1. Recommended new: Look at the Intel Core i5-6600K. Considering it is both overclockable and provides 4 Real Cores™ to your PC, along with a hefty upgrade path as mentioned earlier, it would be a wise choice for anyone looking for good performance now and even better performance down the road.

"

Like really? yes AMD doesn't have 4 FPU's  but it still asks pretty darn good for multi-threaded tasks.

TLDR: Too Biased and more options on the intel side have not been shown.

Posted · Original PosterOP
1 minute ago, Nacho Marco Segui said:

Don't recommend the 9590, just don't. The 8370 or even the 8350 can be overclocked heavily to reach the 9590 performance.

I’m aware of the overclocking capability, however some people don’t care to go through the effort to overclock, and I have to recommend something beyond an 8350 if, for instance, they’re already on one.

Maybe a collection of footnotes would be a good idea, for things like this?

The one and only CPU Buyer’s Guide??owl??The LGBT CommunityPower user of Arch Linux

〜 Some day, we’ll all be free 〜 Some day, we’ll live as one family in sweet harmony 〜

【㆒ACTIVE】HENEN–NESW

CPU: Intel Core i3–6100 (CPUMark ~5,474)  RAM: 1× 16GiB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 DIMMs, CL12 @ 2400MHz  Motherboard: EVGA Z170 Stinger mainboard  Storage: Intel 535 Series 240GB SATA III SSD  PSU: SeaSonic® 400W 80+ Platinum fanless modular ATX unit  Display: 27” 1440p 16:9 ASUS PB278Q +  IPS LCD 22” 1080p 16:9 AOC i2267Fw IPS LCD  Keyboard: Qisan Magicforce 68-key backlit keyboard + Cherry MX Brown switches Mouse: Lenovo ThinkPad wireless laser mouse OS: Crunchbang-like Arch Linux x86-64

CPU: Intel Core i5-4200U (CPUMark ~3,267) RAM: 8GiB soldered DDR3L RAM Storage: Unknown 128GB SATA III SSD Display: 12.5” 1080p 16:9 built-in IPS multitouch LCD OS: RemixOS (Android for PC), version 3.0.207

【RETIRED】TYRE

CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q8200 (CPUMark ~2,826)  Motherboard: Gateway/Acer OEM, µATX-compatible proprietary forme factor RAM: 4× 2GiB Green-PCB Generic DDR2 DIMMs  Storage: 500GB WD Green replacement HDD OS: Microsoft Windows Vista SP2

CPU: Intel Core i5–2450M (CPUMark ~3,404)  RAM: 2× 4GiB Green-PCB Samsung DDR3 SODIMMs  Storage: Intel 520 Series “Cherryville” 120GB SSD + WD Black 2.5” 750GB HDD  Display: 14” 768p 16:9 built-in TN LCD  OS: Crunchbang-like Arch Linux x86-64

also another point to note about the FX 8xxx and 9xxx series

your AM3+ mobo need to have beefy VRMs to support the high power draw

AMD 970 with 8+2 phase or 990FX with 8+2 power phases is need for the 8xxx series but 990FX with 8 or more power phases is a must for the 225 Watts CPU

Budget? Uses? Currency? Location? Operating System? Peripherals? Monitor? Use PCPartPicker wherever possible. 

Quote whom you're replying to, and set option to follow your topics. Or Else we can't see your reply.

Just now, DannyRyu said:

Hmm, No very biased towards intel. I have to say.

I cannot agree with this in particular

"Use case: Video/3D rendering ( + gaming, optionally )

Budget: between 100 and 250 USD

1. Minimum new: Look at the Intel Core i3-6100. At $110 USD it provides a stellar budget solution to an entry-level video editor’s system, and a larger upgrade path than ever before with Intel’s upcoming Kaby Lake and Cannonlake architectures being built for the same socket."

The FX-6300 which is 100$ can out-perform the i3-6100 at Multi-threaded tasks + to add it can be overclocked to further open the gap. and 3D rendering and Video compiling fall into this category. Yes the i3-6100 will give you a better upgrade path.

Uh, no. The FX 6300 performs horribly if you need good single threaded performance as well (how many people here do only rendering?), has no upgrade path whatsoever, runs incredibly hot and requires much more investment in a better motherboard and better cooling, and is thus significantly worse value for the money. Cannot recommend that.

Also, try to remove the post formatting next time. Or better yet, use the quote button. ;)

【㆒ACTIVE】HENEN–NESW

【RETIRED】TYRE

5 minutes ago, AlexTheRose said:

Uh, no. The FX 6300 performs horribly if you need good single threaded performance as well (how many people here do only rendering?), has no upgrade path whatsoever, runs incredibly hot and requires much more investment in a better motherboard and better cooling, and is thus significantly worse value for the money. Cannot recommend that.

Also, try to remove the post formatting next time. Or better yet, use the quote button. ;)

In your own post you said. Video/3D rendering. some people have dedicated rigs. and gaming is shown as an option.

yes the FX-6300 is absolute shit at single threaded tasks but it WILL Out perform the i3-6100 at multi-threaded tasks.

you also forgot to mention Dual Xeon builds are viable. or even single xeons.

The used market is always good too.

Although besides these facts I completely disagree with using CPU for any kind of video rendering in the beginning my program uses CUDA Cores Much more efficently and my crappy GTX 960 can render quicker than any haswell i7. 

6 minutes ago, DannyRyu said:

In your own post you said. Video/3D rendering. some people have dedicated rigs. and gaming is shown as an option.

you also forgot to mention Dual Xeon builds are viable. or even single xeons.

The used market is always good too.

Although besides these facts I completely disagree with using CPU for any kind of video rendering in the beginning my program uses CUDA Cores Much more efficently and my crappy GTX 960 can render quicker than any haswell i7. 

1. GPUs are irrelevant in this thread and also this forum to a large extent – I went over that in the opening post.
  2. Dual Xeon builds are better done in a configuration running render farm software, which I also went over in the opening post.
  3. The opening post does not discriminate on whether something is new or used; it gauges the market judging mostly by MSRP and, for older models, common price points on Amazon and eBay.

Are you just here to argue, or what? First you come in and write huge, blaring spammy text right below my post trying to discredit me—which I can tell you, this thread took a lot of effort and thought to make—and call me out for having an “Intel bias” or whatever. The fact of the matter is AMD sucks right now, and until Zen changes that, I’m not going to recommend CPUs that aren’t appropriate for people’s builds. Right now the only submarkets AMD has any real business in are with APU PCs and low-end boxes.

【㆒ACTIVE】HENEN–NESW

【RETIRED】TYRE

Just now, AlexTheRose said:
  1. GPUs are irrelevant in this thread and also this forum to a large extent – I went over that in the opening post.
  2. Dual Xeon builds are better done in a configuration running render farm software, which I also went over in the opening post.
  3. The opening post does not discriminate on whether something is new or used; it gauges the market judging mostly by MSRP and, for older models, common price points on Amazon and eBay.

Are you just here to argue, or what? First you come in and write huge, blaring spammy text right below my post—which I can tell you took a lot of effort and though to make—and call me out for having an “Intel bias” or whatever. The fact of the matter is AMD sucks right now, and until Zen changes that, I’m not going to recommend CPUs that aren’t appropriate for people’s builds. Right now the only submarkets AMD has any real business in are with APU PCs and low-end boxes.

Okay. I'm not here to argue, We just don't need people like you saying "THIS IS BEST FOR THIS"

It doesn't work that way most of the time.

And in my 2nd post I'm in no way recommending GPU's that would be off topic. Just stating that fact.

Also you didn't mention Xeons any where in the opening post.

You forgot to even Mention any xeons. like REALLY?

255$ for a xeon E3-1231v3 brand new from newegg. (I've seen them cheaper)

it performs the same as the haswell i7's for like 50$ less.!! Oh and guess what, they run on the same socket.

My honest opinion is EVERY SINGLE GUIDE like this Regardless if its CPU's,GPU's SSD's or What ever are absolute rubbish.

Everyone looking to begin their first build (obviously who this topic is for) should do their OWN Research for their OWN needs.

No guide can cover your needs. All games are different, All Programs react to different hardware in different ways its an irrefutable FACT.

what if the Program they had regardless of a game or not happens to like AMD hardware more.

Although the majority of programs are not like this way and try to utilize both hardware to their fullest,it still happens.

Everyone getting into building a new PC should do their own research instead of someone shoving information down their throat and saying "THIS IS BETTER FOR YOUR NEEDS" or else you get fanboys. that think 1 way because that's they way they learned and they don't accept any other way.

And I DO Agree that intel is better with most things at the time, Why the hell would I have a Intel CPU in my own rig if I didn't think that and yes because they are better CPU's So far they have a better upgrade path. and the xeons are on Haswell so you won't be able to upgrade to any of the new fancy Skylake hardware.

but some people might not need to.

Everyone has their own needs which they need to figure out.

TLDR: Do your own research and don't rely on topics that tell you what to do. Look up each individual CPU in your budget for your task and compare them (Benchmarks etc) and what you are planning to do in the future etc.  Also just as a side note. don't just look up gaming benchmarks look up other benchmarks like Cinebench,etc.

Hi everyone!

It’s been quite a while since I’ve been active on LTT, but with my return comes the updating of this thread, my pet project! I’ve revamped the OP with recommendations ablaze with Kaby Lake CPUs from Intel and the hot new Ryzen lineup from AMD, so be sure to check it out. Thanks!

【㆒ACTIVE】HENEN–NESW

【RETIRED】TYRE

9 minutes ago, Nicholatian said:

Hi everyone!

It’s been quite a while since I’ve been active on LTT, but with my return comes the updating of this thread, my pet project! I’ve revamped the OP with recommendations ablaze with Kaby Lake CPUs from Intel and the hot new Ryzen lineup from AMD, so be sure to check it out. Thanks!

No mention of the Xeon E3 Haswell chips in your 'existing' recommendation. 

Xeon E3 Hwell/Hwell Refresh chips are AMAZING value new, hovering around $250US and being comparable to an i7 4770 or 4790 depending on the architecture. 

http://pcpartpicker.com/product/psR48d/intel-cpu-bx80646e31231v3

It's literally a 4790 clocked 100mhz lower

If I helped, hit the thumbs up icon below my post and pick it as 'Best Answer'

Quick Links: Recommended PC Builds | PSU Tier List | Mouse Sensors List | SATA 3 SSD Tier List | Keyboard Switches | 2nd Hand GPU Guide | Why Ryzen? (hella outdated) | Ryzen Memory Guide

Mouse enthusiast. eGPU guy. Resident EliteBook fetishist.  My specs and shit down below.

Spoiler

Apollo: i5 4670K @ 4.6Ghz, Corsair H100i, MSI Z87I, EVGA GTX 1070 SC ACX3, Corsair 250D, 840 EVO 120GB, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, SeaSonic 520W PSU. Planned upgrades: 16GB RAM, 480/512GB SSD, new HDD

Sputnik: HP EliteBook 2570p, i5-3360M, 16GB DDR3, 256GB 840 EVO - Running Win10/Sierra dual-boot.  Future upgrades: i7-quad

Comet (home server): Atom D2500, 4GB 1066Mhz RAM, 2 x 320GB HDDs, 350W PSU, HAF-Stacker ITX, dual GbE. Cost me $80. back from the dead (mobo failure) bois

Spoiler

Main peripherals

- Corsair Strafe RGB MX Reds

- SteelSeries Siberia 650

- SteelSeries QcK+ CS:GO Camo 

- SteelSeries QcK+ Na'Vi Splash (Secondary pad, used for second rig)

- SteelSeries Rival 700

- SteelSeries Rival 300 (Secondary mouse, used for second rig)

NO ONE SLEEPS IN TOKYO, ALL RIGHT CROSSING THE LINE, NO ONE QUIT THE RADIO, TOKYO IS ON FIRE! 

Just now, Droidbot said:

No mention of the Xeon E3 Haswell chips in your 'existing' recommendation. 

Xeon E3 Hwell/Hwell Refresh chips are AMAZING value new, hovering around $250US and being comparable to an i7 4770 or 4790 depending on the architecture. 

http://pcpartpicker.com/product/psR48d/intel-cpu-bx80646e31231v3

It's literally a 4790 clocked 100mhz lower

I’ll definitely look into that, thanks!

【㆒ACTIVE】HENEN–NESW

【RETIRED】TYRE