My friend is planning his first build and we need help!

Tadas

Hello everybody,

Like I said my friend plans to build PC and these are the parts he chose

Case NZXT S340

Motherboard Gigabyte ga-b150m-ds3h

Processor i5-6600k 6mb/3.5ghz

Cpu cooler cooler master hyper 212 evo

Ram kingston 2x4 2400 mhz ddr4 fury hyperx

GPU Gygabyte rx480 8gb

Ssd kingston 240gb hyperx

Hdd western digital desktop mainstream 1tb
PSU corsair c650m
It sums up to about €1050 could he change something to make the build better for a similar price, or even less? 

P.S Everything will be bought at our local shops Fortakas and Kilobaitas

don't get a unlocked cpu and a  b150 board also consider a better PSU that PSU is tier 3 out of 7. 1 being best 7 being worst

Edited by GDRRiley

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 3.0: R7 5700x @, B550A vision D, H105, 2x32gb Oloy 3600, Sapphire RX 6700XT  Nitro+, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 2tb rocket and 5tb Toshiba x300, 2x 6TB WD Black W10 all in a 750D airflow.
GF PC: (nighthawk 2.0): R7 2700x, B450m vision D, 4x8gb Geli 2933, Strix GTX970, CX650M RGB, Obsidian 350D

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6 Ubuntu 20. LTS

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Spirt  (NAS) ASUS Z9PR-D12, 2x E5 2620V2, 8x4gb, 24 3tb HDD. F80 800gb cache, trueNAS, 2x12disk raid Z3 stripped

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List     SSD Tier List     How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."

Camera Gear: X-S10, 16-80 F4, 60D, 24-105 F4, 50mm F1.4, Helios44-m, 2 Cos-11D lavs

2 minutes ago, Tadas said:

Hello everybody,

Like I said my friend plans to build PC and these are the parts he chose

Case NZXT S340

Motherboard Gigabyte ga-b150m-ds3h

Processor i5-6600k 6mb/3.5ghz

Cpu cooler cooler master hyper 212 evo

Ram kingston 2x4 2400 mhz ddr4 fury hyperx

GPU Gygabyte rx480 8gb

Ssd kingston 240gb hyperx

Hdd western digital desktop mainstream 1tb
PSU corsair c650m
It sums up to about €1050 could he change something to make the build better for a similar price, or even less? 

P.S Everything will be bought at our local shops Fortakas and Kilobaitas

Italy correct?

1 minute ago, Starelementpoke said:

Italy correct?

Lithuania

3 minutes ago, GDRRiley said:

don't get a unlocked cpu and a  b150 board also consider a better PSU that PSU is tier 3 out of 7. 1 being best 7 being worst

What would you suggest instead of these two? Is the tier bad becouse of it`s 80+ rating? And you are saying that unlocked cpu is bad with this board because of overclock limitations? 

1 minute ago, Tadas said:

Lithuania

You got a locked board, so get the 6500 instead of the 6600k. Make sure you get an AIB 480. Better PSU as well. Everything else seems fine.

Just now, Tadas said:

What would you suggest instead of these two? Is the tier bad becouse of it`s 80+ rating? And you are saying that unlocked cpu is bad with this board because of overclock limitations? 

no the PSU is not made that well check my sig for PSU list. You can't overclock a K cpu on a b150 board without using the base clock method and intel has really limited it I would only ever by a K cpu with a Z  chipset mobo

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 3.0: R7 5700x @, B550A vision D, H105, 2x32gb Oloy 3600, Sapphire RX 6700XT  Nitro+, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 2tb rocket and 5tb Toshiba x300, 2x 6TB WD Black W10 all in a 750D airflow.
GF PC: (nighthawk 2.0): R7 2700x, B450m vision D, 4x8gb Geli 2933, Strix GTX970, CX650M RGB, Obsidian 350D

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6 Ubuntu 20. LTS

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Spirt  (NAS) ASUS Z9PR-D12, 2x E5 2620V2, 8x4gb, 24 3tb HDD. F80 800gb cache, trueNAS, 2x12disk raid Z3 stripped

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List     SSD Tier List     How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."

Camera Gear: X-S10, 16-80 F4, 60D, 24-105 F4, 50mm F1.4, Helios44-m, 2 Cos-11D lavs

Just now, Starelementpoke said:

You got a locked board, so get the 6500 instead of the 6600k. Make sure you get an AIB 480. Better PSU as well. Everything else seems fine.

What PSU would you suggest? And what exact board you are talking about? Sorry, I haven`t build a PC in a while so the little things just does not come to mind, I don`t even know what is out now to be honest :D

Just now, Tadas said:

What PSU would you suggest? And what exact board you are talking about? Sorry, I haven`t build a PC in a while so the little things just does not come to mind, I don`t even know what is out now to be honest :D

The motherboard is a B series board, which means you can't overclock with it. That in turn makes getting a K series CPU pointless. As for the PSU, anything from Seasonic is good.

3 minutes ago, Tadas said:

check my signature because I am not sure what is available  in your area. To overclock you need to have a  K cpu and a z series chip set. right now for skylake that would be Z170

12 minutes ago, Starelementpoke said:

The motherboard is a B series board, which means you can't overclock with it. That in turn makes getting a K series CPU pointless. As for the PSU, anything from Seasonic is good.

If we would choose not overclocable CPU and this board, would it be ok? and This PSU

If we would choose not overclocable CPU and this board, would it be ok? and This PSU

That's be fine. And that PSU is a good choice.

4 minutes ago, Starelementpoke said:

That's be fine. And that PSU is a good choice.

And if he would stick with K version which one of these motherboards would be the best solution? considering maybe upgrading cooler one day

And if he would stick with K version which one of these motherboards would be the best solution? considering maybe upgrading cooler one day

This one would be your best bet: http://www.kilobaitas.lt/Pagrindines_plokstes/Asrock/MB_Z170_S1151_ATX/Z170A-X1_ASR/Z170A-X1/CatalogStoreDetail.aspx?CatID=PL_660&ID=657805

8 minutes ago, Tadas said:

Thank you, is there anything worthy looking with 4 memory slots?

asrock pro 4 z170, asus z170-a, msi z170 m3, msi gaming pro carbon, just a few choices

27 minutes ago, Tadas said:

Thank you, is there anything worthy looking with 4 memory slots?

Pretty sure that board i linked has 4 slots.

14 hours ago, Tadas said:

~snip~

Hey there Tadas :)

The plan looks generally good and with a few adjustments you can turn this into a great and optimized build. What are you planning on doing with the build? If you are going for gaming what game and settings are you after? 

As the guys suggested, if you are not interested in OCing the CPU you don't really need an unlocked one, though in some cases they still provide better performance at stock speed with higher stock clocks so I'd check some benchmark comparisons and see if the price is worth paying. There's nothing wrong in having an unlocked CPU on a locked motherboard in terms of compatibility or potential issues. 

You could go for a single 8GB memory stick instead of 2x4GB for budget and expand-ability purposes as you shouldn't notice any performance difference in gaming. 

I would consider a SSD for the boot drive as it can dramatically increase the responsiveness and overall performance of the whole system and reduce the loading and boot times of the build, though it's not a must for a gaming build. 

Let me know if I can do anything else for you :)

Captain_WD.

If this helped you, like and choose it as best answer - you might help someone else with the same issue. ^_^
WDC Representative, http://www.wdc.com/ 

6 hours ago, Captain_WD said:

Hey there Tadas :)

The plan looks generally good and with a few adjustments you can turn this into a great and optimized build. What are you planning on doing with the build? If you are going for gaming what game and settings are you after? 

As the guys suggested, if you are not interested in OCing the CPU you don't really need an unlocked one, though in some cases they still provide better performance at stock speed with higher stock clocks so I'd check some benchmark comparisons and see if the price is worth paying. There's nothing wrong in having an unlocked CPU on a locked motherboard in terms of compatibility or potential issues. 

You could go for a single 8GB memory stick instead of 2x4GB for budget and expand-ability purposes as you shouldn't notice any performance difference in gaming. 

I would consider a SSD for the boot drive as it can dramatically increase the responsiveness and overall performance of the whole system and reduce the loading and boot times of the build, though it's not a must for a gaming build. 

Let me know if I can do anything else for you :)

Captain_WD.

Thank you very much. We might overclock CPU one day, my friend is buying this for gaming, basically he wants 1080p on atleast 60fps on recent titles, we`ll probably buy one 8gb stick too.and I forgot to put in ssd :D

20 hours ago, Tadas said:

~snip~

Well, if you do plan on OCing the CPU you would need to swap the motherboard with a different one.

All the rest seems quite good. :) You don't need to put your games on a SSD as this only affects their loading times. 

You can leave the custom CPU cooler for later if you have a stock one coming with the CPU. This way you may be able to save some funds. 

Captain_WD.

If this helped you, like and choose it as best answer - you might help someone else with the same issue. ^_^
WDC Representative, http://www.wdc.com/