Autodetect for the spam chinese univeristy

Clanscorpia
2 hours ago, colonel_mortis said:

Detecting spam in a foolproof way is basically impossible, though we do have several technical measures in place already to make spam as infrequent as possible, and we are looking into additional options to reduce the amount of spam even further.

But spam is tasty.

Spam_can.png

/s

I know not that kind of spam. But idk the spam that I've seen has been pretty harmless.

a Moo Floof connoisseur and curator.

:x@handymanshandle x @pinksnowbirdie || Jake x Brendan :x
Youtube Audio Normalization

3 minutes ago, JoeyDM said:

You must be new here :P 

In 2014 kitchen and bathroom advertisements reined supreme! 

I joined almost two years ago, I remember the baba ji black magic voodoo love doctor spam the best.

a Moo Floof connoisseur and curator.

:x@handymanshandle x @pinksnowbirdie || Jake x Brendan :x
Youtube Audio Normalization

4 minutes ago, wcreek said:

I joined almost two years ago, I remember the baba ji black magic voodoo love doctor spam the best.

Oh yeah! The love doctor spam was awesome xD 

8 minutes ago, wcreek said:

still pops up occasionally

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

3 hours ago, intelCore said:

Might it not be possible to just exclude the chinese/arabic character set from the allowed characters?

Problem in that would be that it most likely would be forum wide ban for characters. So not in usernames, PMs, Build Logs etc. Its like banning umlauts like ü from charset. I don't get why you guys had to take rasism in to this. Its not even related to that. PMs can be done in any language you want. I've had several in Finnish, with umlauts like ä and ö. Its not like banning chinese characters would prevent next spammer from using umlauts to spam ÄÄÖÖÄAÅÅAÅÄÄÄÖÄÖÄPÖÅPÅÖÄÖÄÖÅPÖÅLÄÖÄÖÅÖ. And so on. Soon someone want umlauts to be banned. Or some other weird non-english characters like those used in Eastern Europe. If you'd be having PM with someone who also speaks German or French or Italy (or whatever your main is) and half of your chars were banned, wouldn't you be annoyed?

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

3 hours ago, LoGiCalDrm said:

Problem in that would be that it most likely would be forum wide ban for characters. So not in usernames, PMs, Build Logs etc. Its like banning umlauts like ü from charset. I don't get why you guys had to take rasism in to this. Its not even related to that. PMs can be done in any language you want. I've had several in Finnish, with umlauts like ä and ö. Its not like banning chinese characters would prevent next spammer from using umlauts to spam ÄÄÖÖÄAÅÅAÅÄÄÄÖÄÖÄPÖÅPÅÖÄÖÄÖÅPÖÅLÄÖÄÖÅÖ. And so on. Soon someone want umlauts to be banned. Or some other weird non-english characters like those used in Eastern Europe. If you'd be having PM with someone who also speaks German or French or Italy (or whatever your main is) and half of your chars were banned, wouldn't you be annoyed?

Well um actually that university spam was kinda different because it makes some sense. They tried to sell diplomacy although we all know it's likely to be faked. From what I know was that there were those kind of groups that pays people for spreading some ad posts or write something good on the one who pays them. When this comes to money I think banning Chinese characters seems to be the best solution. Let's face it nobody here uses any language other than English as far as I know so it shouldn't cause a whole lot of trouble when it actually comes to actual discussion or anything like that. But well it could seem like being mean to all the Chinese in this forum. And people are gonna argue about it. We all know that people argue upon everything. 

1 hour ago, GeneralLol said:

Well um actually that university spam was kinda different because it makes some sense. They tried to sell diplomacy although we all know it's likely to be faked. From what I know was that there were those kind of groups that pays people for spreading some ad posts or write something good on the one who pays them. When this comes to money I think banning Chinese characters seems to be the best solution. Let's face it nobody here uses any language other than English as far as I know so it shouldn't cause a whole lot of trouble when it actually comes to actual discussion or anything like that. But well it could seem like being mean to all the Chinese in this forum. And people are gonna argue about it. We all know that people argue upon everything. 

You've been here for half a month. People use other languages to talk in PMs together, off topic, and to sometimes explain something they dont know in english

He who asks is stupid for 5 minutes. He who does not ask, remains stupid. -Chinese proverb. 

Those who know much are aware that they know little. - Slick roasting me

Spoiler

AXIOM

CPU- Intel i5-6500 GPU- EVGA 1060 6GB Motherboard- Gigabyte GA-H170-D3H RAM- 8GB HyperX DDR4-2133 PSU- EVGA GQ 650w HDD- OEM 750GB Seagate Case- NZXT S340 Mouse- Logitech Gaming g402 Keyboard-  Azio MGK1 Headset- HyperX Cloud Core

Offical first poster LTT V2.0

2 hours ago, GeneralLol said:

How can you tell when spam is "making sense" and when it isn't? Spam is supposed to be advertising with links to either malicious sites or sites selling you the blue pills. It differs from other forms of advertising by the fact that they are fishing with shotgun. Not doing it targeted. It doesn't matter if its kyrillic,  arabic or chinese text or whether its thrown through Google translate. End result is same.

Buying and selling certs is illegal and morally questionable. Still I've seen a member posting here and offering such service to rich students. Banning Chinese chars won't prevent that. And thats my point. We'd gain very little for banning all non-english chars.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

12 hours ago, JoeyDM said:

You must be new here :P 

In 2014 kitchen and bathroom advertisements reined supreme! 

Indeed to the forum I am kind of new as I just joined last year while having been subscribed to linus since 2010 or something. Good to know that there's been more spam although kitchen and bathroom ads would still be more entertaining I think! :D

12 hours ago, LoGiCalDrm said:

I guess you could just limit the character set of forum posts in certain sub forums (so that dutch, german talk in off topic would not be affected). The thing with usernames and in build logs would kind of be sh*t indeed. I don't know why the other guy had to bring racism into it since this has indeed nothing to do with it as I tried to point out.

13 hours ago, colonel_mortis said:

It is neither an option, nor a proportional or effective response. It would help some spam, sure, but there is plenty of other spam that would be unaffected. The fact that you have only noticed this spam should show you how well the current system is working, and it is only on the rare occasion that it lasts for more than a couple of minutes that it is noticed by more than a few people.

Would be kind of interesting to see how much spam we would have without the filter in place. Maybe we would stop whining then. :D

CPU AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | Cooler Noctua NH-D15S | MB Asus ROG Strix B550 A-Gaming | RAM 2 x G.Skill Trident Z Royal silver 16 GB @ 3200 MHz CL14 | GPU Gigabyte GeForce RTX 3070 Vision OC 8G

Case Fractal Design Define C TG | SSD(s) Boot: Samsung 970 EVO 250 GBPrograms: Samsung 970 EVO 1 TBData: Samsung 860 EVO 500 GB | PSU Seasonic Focus GX 750W

Screen(s) Main: ViewSonic VX2758-2KP-mhd, Second: Asus PB277Q, Third: LG Flatron E2240T | Keyboard Ducky One (MX Blues) | Mouse Logitech G Pro Gaming

Sound Card: Asus Xonar D2X PCIe, System: Edifier R1280DB | OS Windows 10, 64 Bit

So yeah when looking at this topic I found that people are trying to help, but we just can't determine whether we ban languages and everything. Yes I admit it my thoughts went into an extreme when I try to say that banning languages is a good idea-- it's the difference between people that made this forum beautiful. So what about this: We use another language that's impossible to spam with? It's impossible to create a new language though (lttforumian), I'm sure about that, we could try to use like, Klingon? Because it'll be a lot easier to track down the spams. If we see a whole lot of irreverent non-tech, non-Klingon names and words we know it's a spam post. And everybody knows to use translation (Bing translation does Klingon as far as I know). So it won't be as efficient as we communicate using English or any other languages in the rest of the world, but it'll be a lot easier for folks to write a software, even an extension to track down and delete spams. 

18 minutes ago, GeneralLol said:

So yeah when looking at this topic I found that people are trying to help, but we just can't determine whether we ban languages and everything. Yes I admit it my thoughts went into an extreme when I try to say that banning languages is a good idea-- it's the difference between people that made this forum beautiful. So what about this: We use another language that's impossible to spam with? It's impossible to create a new language though (lttforumian), I'm sure about that, we could try to use like, Klingon? Because it'll be a lot easier to track down the spams. If we see a whole lot of irreverent non-tech, non-Klingon names and words we know it's a spam post. And everybody knows to use translation (Bing translation does Klingon as far as I know). So it won't be as efficient as we communicate using English or any other languages in the rest of the world, but it'll be a lot easier for folks to write a software, even an extension to track down and delete spams. 

Yes because everyone is going to learn a new language. Google Translate also isnt that accurate for complicated sentences. Thats the dumbest idea I have ever heard

He who asks is stupid for 5 minutes. He who does not ask, remains stupid. -Chinese proverb. 

Spoiler

AXIOM

CPU- Intel i5-6500 GPU- EVGA 1060 6GB Motherboard- Gigabyte GA-H170-D3H RAM- 8GB HyperX DDR4-2133 PSU- EVGA GQ 650w HDD- OEM 750GB Seagate Case- NZXT S340 Mouse- Logitech Gaming g402 Keyboard-  Azio MGK1 Headset- HyperX Cloud Core

15 minutes ago, Clanscorpia said:

Yes because everyone is going to learn a new language. Google Translate also isnt that accurate for complicated sentences. Thats the dumbest idea I have ever heard

Just trying to be funny man. We both know it's probably impossible to eradicate spams. 

Just now, GeneralLol said:

Just trying to be funny man. We both know it's probably impossible to eradicate spams. 

This is a serious thread

Spoiler

AXIOM

16 minutes ago, Clanscorpia said:

This is a serious thread

Whoops what a serious thread!

40 minutes ago, ModuleLFS said:

That or dont allow gjdjfjgjf as usernames. 

Like so:

34 minutes ago, efedfok said:

Whoops what a serious thread!

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

23 minutes ago, Clanscorpia said:

This is a serious thread

Well then if you say so. Let's get to the bottom of this. 

As far as I know, the point of spamming was to get as much people to know a product so even a fraction of people pay for it the spammer, or the sponsor of the spammer would get a fair amount of money. So we have: 

Spamming = $$$

And if the spammer works hard enough he/she is going to get more money, which is: 

More Spamming = $$$$$$

And we also know that $$$ is something you trade for resources or you make more money with so we have: 

$$$ = $$$$$$

$$$ = Resources

And if you make more money you're gonna trade for resources anyway because you need to survive. So we know that there would be at least some portion of the $$$ was used to get resources. 

So we change the original equation a little bit, and we get:

Spamming = Resources or Spamming = Resources + $$$

Then we know one need resources to survive, so we have: 

Resources = Survival

According to the equation $$$ = Resources we have:

$$$ = Survival

And a basic human desire was to gather as much resources as he/she can to make a better life out of it. So we have: 

More Resources = Better Survival

And when you have more $$$ you can purchase more resources, so we have

$$$$$$ = More Resources = Better Survival

And everyone's looking for a better living situation. So we have: 

Human desire = Better Survival = $$$$$$

I know there're some people out there just doing charity and everything to help others get a better life, which means their desire stops at a grade of basic survival. According to $$$ = Survival we know that the charity guys need $$$. But their money comes from charity work instead of spamming so we exclude them. 

So we take a look at what we have just now. How do you get $$$$$$? You get it with $$$ or More Spamming. And Spamming is the only way for spammers to get $$$. So we have: 

Spamming = Survival

More Spamming = Better Survival

And the only ways I can think of to break this equation was to: 

1 Eradicate the kind of underground nobody-likes-it businesses. 

2 Stop using currency. 

3 Change the desire of human beings. 

Eradicating the underground nobody-likes-it businesses would be basically, impossible. There wouldn't be enough law enforcing powers to eradicate them. And as long as this form of business makes money there would be someone that does it. Everybody needs to survive and everybody wants to live better. 

The only method I can think of for stopping using currency was to step into a global communist society. Regardless of the fact that communism wasn't widely accepted until today, it has flaws to prevent itself from sustaining. So until we've got a better solution to stop using currency it would destroy humanity. 

Changing the desire of human beings was basically impossible. There are always stubborn people. 

So it's basically impossible (at least in my own head) to stop spam from happening. And now it comes to the topic of how do we stop spamming in our forum. 

Like what just happened banning languages was not an option because everybody has problems with that. And because of actually developing a system powerful enough to recognize spamming was so tough with the tech today so looking for and deleting spams are still human's jobs. And the most logical option? Getting everyone a report button! If Everyone can delete posts they reckon as spams there would be problem. If we ban people from speaking whatever they want it would be problem. So the most logical option was already in use. Though the spams may look annoying when you see it but as far as I can see the forum admins are definitely in control of that. 

1 minute ago, GeneralLol said:

Well then if you say so. Let's get to the bottom of this. 

As far as I know, the point of spamming was to get as much people to know a product so even a fraction of people pay for it the spammer, or the sponsor of the spammer would get a fair amount of money. So we have: 

Spamming = $$$

And if the spammer works hard enough he/she is going to get more money, which is: 

More Spamming = $$$$$$

And we also know that $$$ is something you trade for resources or you make more money with so we have: 

$$$ = $$$$$$

$$$ = Resources

And if you make more money you're gonna trade for resources anyway because you need to survive. So we know that there would be at least some portion of the $$$ was used to get resources. 

So we change the original equation a little bit, and we get:

Spamming = Resources or Spamming = Resources + $$$

Then we know one need resources to survive, so we have: 

Resources = Survival

According to the equation $$$ = Resources we have:

$$$ = Survival

And a basic human desire was to gather as much resources as he/she can to make a better life out of it. So we have: 

More Resources = Better Survival

And when you have more $$$ you can purchase more resources, so we have

$$$$$$ = More Resources = Better Survival

And everyone's looking for a better living situation. So we have: 

Human desire = Better Survival = $$$$$$

I know there're some people out there just doing charity and everything to help others get a better life, which means their desire stops at a grade of basic survival. According to $$$ = Survival we know that the charity guys need $$$. But their money comes from charity work instead of spamming so we exclude them. 

So we take a look at what we have just now. How do you get $$$$$$? You get it with $$$ or More Spamming. And Spamming is the only way for spammers to get $$$. So we have: 

Spamming = Survival

More Spamming = Better Survival

And the only ways I can think of to break this equation was to: 

1 Eradicate the kind of underground nobody-likes-it businesses. 

2 Stop using currency. 

3 Change the desire of human beings. 

Eradicating the underground nobody-likes-it businesses would be basically, impossible. There wouldn't be enough law enforcing powers to eradicate them. And as long as this form of business makes money there would be someone that does it. Everybody needs to survive and everybody wants to live better. 

The only method I can think of for stopping using currency was to step into a global communist society. Regardless of the fact that communism wasn't widely accepted until today, it has flaws to prevent itself from sustaining. So until we've got a better solution to stop using currency it would destroy humanity. 

Changing the desire of human beings was basically impossible. There are always stubborn people. 

So it's basically impossible (at least in my own head) to stop spam from happening. And now it comes to the topic of how do we stop spamming in our forum. 

Like what just happened banning languages was not an option because everybody has problems with that. And because of actually developing a system powerful enough to recognize spamming was so tough with the tech today so looking for and deleting spams are still human's jobs. And the most logical option? Getting everyone a report button! If Everyone can delete posts they reckon as spams there would be problem. If we ban people from speaking whatever they want it would be problem. So the most logical option was already in use. Though the spams may look annoying when you see it but as far as I can see the forum admins are definitely in control of that. 

0 copy and paste detected /s 

We already have a report button. Spammers here dont make money 'cause no-one retarded enough to click the links. This is just a bad place to spam. Changing to Klingon was still the dumbest idea ever. If spammers still wanted to spam they'd just use google translate like everyone else

Spoiler

AXIOM

66791374.jpg

This thread reached its end long ago, and I'm not really sure what has been happening since. Locked.

We're not going to block other languages, though we are looking at alternative methods to hopefully reduce the amount of spam that is posted even further. This week has had an exceptionally high amount of spam posted though, for whatever reason, and normally barely anybody ever notices it before it is removed by staff.

HTTP/2 203