Is the XBOne game pad worth it?

themoose5

So I've got a dualshock 4 controller that I currently use with DS4Windows when I want to play PC games with a controller. I got my ps4 not too long after it came out so the rubber joystick grips are kind of worn out. I was thinking about replacing my controller with a new one and I can't figure out if it's worth buying a XBOne controller to use with the PC or just stick with another Dualshock 4.

What is y'all's opinion on the pros and cons between the two?

13 minutes ago, themoose5 said:

So I've got a dualshock 4 controller that I currently use with DS4Windows when I want to play PC games with a controller. I got my ps4 not too long after it came out so the rubber joystick grips are kind of worn out. I was thinking about replacing my controller with a new one and I can't figure out if it's worth buying a XBOne controller to use with the PC or just stick with another Dualshock 4.

The new controllers that come with the Xbox One S are (i think) available for purchase on the Microsoft store, and they support Bluetooth. Grab one of these, and grab a Bluetooth adapter or Bluetooth card if you haven't already. If you have Win10 and a Bluetooth adapter/card, you are set. Win10 has built in Xbox controller support, so you don't even need DS4 or any 3rd party software.

Edited by Cyndre
't not 'y

Desktop:

Intel Core i7-6700K 4.5GHz Corsair H100i v2 | Asus Z170-A | Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB 2x8 3200Mhz | Samsung 960 EVO 1TB + 850 EVO 250GB + Seagate 1TB | GIGABYTE GeForce GTX 1070 G1 Gaming Cooler Master MasterCase Pro 5 | EVGA SuperNOVA G2 650W 80+G | Microsoft Windows 10 Home 64-bit (PcPartPicker)

Or use it wired. I believe they have MicroUSB ports on them.

Desktop:

Intel Core i7-6700K 4.5GHz Corsair H100i v2 | Asus Z170-A | Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB 2x8 3200Mhz | Samsung 960 EVO 1TB + 850 EVO 250GB + Seagate 1TB | GIGABYTE GeForce GTX 1070 G1 Gaming Cooler Master MasterCase Pro 5 | EVGA SuperNOVA G2 650W 80+G | Microsoft Windows 10 Home 64-bit (PcPartPicker)

Is it worth using an XBOne controller?

I think it is. More PC games have native support through either Windows or the developers vs the Dualshock. If you do use a controller games may show icons that your controller doesn't use (My old Logitech F310 (?) would show keyboard commands).

For 60, I'd consider it only after a wired Xbox 360. If you find it for less (<50) I'd grab one.

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

3 hours ago, themoose5 said:

Or go with the easy, cheap option and buy rubber grips for the joysticks. Or go with the Steam controller. I decided to try it out when I bought it with a Rocket league bundle and it's fantastic. The learning curve wasn't too bad (for me at least) and the customizabity is great! Plus you get paddles to bind controls to! 

First build every: Intel Core i7 4790K, Asus Z97-A/USB 3.1 motherboard, Kingston HyperX FURY 1866 2x8 16GB Kit, Gigabyte Windforce GTX 970 G1 Gaming, Corsair Obsidian 450D Black ATX Mid Tower, Samsung 850 EVO 250GB & 3TB Toshiba HDD, EVGA SuperNOVA 750W G2, Corsair H100i GTX 240mm, Gigabyte Bluetooth 4.0/Wifi Card, Logitech G700S. Running on Windows 10

Surface Pro 3: i5 4300U with 8GB of ram and 256GB SSD. Running Windows 10 Pro

It is worth it simply for the fact that it is a true plug and play solution. You can simply connect it to your pc with a micro USB cable or the wireless adapter (I would avoid bluetooth for now as reports have it being rather buggy in its current state, though that should be fixed in rather short time) and basically any game with controller support will recognize it. 

I know you wanted a comparison of the 2 controllers mentioned, but I just wanna throw this out there. Xbox 360 wired controllers or the wireless 360 to PC usb are still a thing. I only mention this because I feel that the 360 controller is easier on my hands in a long term gaming session than the ones controller. I use one and steam seems to be happy with it too. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/9/2016 at 10:13 AM, Steampunk360 said:

I know you wanted a comparison of the 2 controllers mentioned, but I just wanna throw this out there. Xbox 360 wired controllers or the wireless 360 to PC usb are still a thing. I only mention this because I feel that the 360 controller is easier on my hands in a long term gaming session than the ones controller. I use one and steam seems to be happy with it too. 

I've been kind of torn on the 360's controller, I know it's pretty nit picky but I like that I can connect the DS4 to my computer wireless via bluetooth. I know you can get the adapter for the 360 to be wireless but I don't really want an adapter hanging off my rig. I was really hoping for native bluetooth support which the new XBOne controllers have and really is the reason I'm even considering one in the first place. 

On 9.8.2016 at 5:41 AM, themoose5 said:

It's personal preference. Go to a hardware store and try both out.

I like the XBox one better.

On 8/9/2016 at 4:41 AM, themoose5 said:

Just now, Mobby Dick said:

It's personal preference. Go to a hardware store and try both out.

I like the XBox one better.

As @Mobby Dick said try both out. 

I like both X360 and XBOne controllers but i find the 360 Controller has better joysticks. 

Main Rig - Case: Corsair 200R   Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z270-GAMING-K3  CPU: Intel i5 7600 RAM: Corsair H55 RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16GB 3000MHz SSD: Crucial MX500 1 TB 

HDD: 2TB WD Green  GPU: Gigabyte GTX 1660 Ti 6GB Windforce  PSU: Corsair CX 600W  

HTPC - Case: CiT MTX-007B   Motherboard: Biostar H61MGV3, CPU: Intel i5 2400  RAM: Patriot 4GB 1333MHz SSD: 240GB Toshiba SSD PSU: 180W CIT (Came with case)

Corsair 200R Front Bezel Mod

The Xbone controller is fine, though I would definitely recommend you look into a Steam Controller.

"Do as I say, not as I do."

-Because you actually care if it makes sense.

Considering the added cost of that proprietary adapter for Xbone pads (which you will eventually need because the micro USB port on Xbone pads always breaks), no its not worth it. Especially since you already have a better controller. You could just get replacement sticks on Amazon for like $5 to $10, or even get Xbone elite sticks for like $20 and put them on your DS4 instead of buying a new one.

Or if you just want to go with an Xbox controller, get an X360 one instead.

I would stick with the PS controller. I use a PS3 controller, and my 3rd part software driver of choice is by ScarlettCrush.

Here is the link for DS3, but the Github site has DS4 as well. It's much better than that advertisement Bullshit that are easily available.

You can get the new Bluetooth enabled Xbox One controller on Amazon as well, I'm personally excited for it. Can't wait to get rid of the long cabled Xbox 360 adapter.

oops, connection fudged out and triple posted, sorry

oops, connection fudged out and triple posted, sorry