PC Randomly shuts off and restarts

Go to solution Solved by Hunched,
12 minutes ago, Zentex said:

It works. Do you think it might have dust buildup? I clean out my case every 3-6 months, but I've never looked at the PSU, as Dell likes to be a dick and make it hard to access.

It's possible, if a lot of dust got through.

Usually sudden unexpected reboots are power issues one way or another, somewhere in the chain, could be a cable, or a connector.

Or overheating.

These things can be hard to figure out if you don't have replacement parts or any idea what could be causing them.

I'd make sure all the cable connections are secure and that the back of the PSU doesn't feel abnormally hot at any point.

You could try some "crazy" things like blowing a hair dryer into your PSU and seeing if it can deal with the heat, whether the fan ramps up and works.

Like a minute or two wouldn't really be anything dangerous unless your hairdryer is nuclear level.

I had a PSU with a non-functioning fan that would overheat and reboot my PC, when I got a replacement I blasted a hair dryer into it until the fan started.

It's one of those that only spins at a certain temperature, which the faulty one wasn't doing, which is a bit different.

Simply using Chrome with the PSU with the broken fan was enough to cause mine to reboot.

You could look around in Event Viewer for information but it probably won't help much.

Sorry I can't help much, but if your PC isn't giving BSOD's or any information to work with it's really just a guessing game.

Usually sudden reboots are physical hardware issues of some sort, and nothing to do with Windows or software settings.

Hi, this problem has been happening quite often. I will be playing GTA 5 or sometimes even just sitting on chrome, and my PC just completely goes black out of nowhere. I don't know how this would happen. I have 32 GB of RAM, an i7 4960k, and a GTX 980 Ti with a custom fan curve. I am running Windows 10 as well. What could be causing this? Also when it restarts it acts like nothing even happened and that it's just a normal restart.

Edit: here is my Afterburner settings https://gyazo.com/85a9c07d4643132e385091e871f0e5f0

what PSU

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 3.0: R7 5700x @, B550A vision D, H105, 2x32gb Oloy 3600, Sapphire RX 6700XT  Nitro+, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 2tb rocket and 5tb Toshiba x300, 2x 6TB WD Black W10 all in a 750D airflow.
GF PC: (nighthawk 2.0): R7 2700x, B450m vision D, 4x8gb Geli 2933, Strix GTX970, CX650M RGB, Obsidian 350D

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6 Ubuntu 20. LTS

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Spirt  (NAS) ASUS Z9PR-D12, 2x E5 2620V2, 8x4gb, 24 3tb HDD. F80 800gb cache, trueNAS, 2x12disk raid Z3 stripped

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List     SSD Tier List     How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."

Camera Gear: X-S10, 16-80 F4, 60D, 24-105 F4, 50mm F1.4, Helios44-m, 2 Cos-11D lavs

probably not enough core voltage. have you stress tested this overclock at all?

Altair - Firestrike: http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/13945459

CPU:  i7-4790 @ 3.6 GHz Motherboard: Gigabyte B85M-DS3H-A RAM: 16GB @ 1600MHz CL11 GPU: XFX RX 470 RS Storage: ADATA SP550 240GB | WD Blue 1TB | Toshiba 2TB PSU: EVGA B2 750W Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro Fans: Phanteks PH-F200SP (Front) | Phanteks PH-F140SP (Rear) | Noctua NF-A15 (Top)

Mouse: Logitech G502 | Keyboard: Corsair K70 MX Brown | Audio: Sennheiser HD 558

1 minute ago, DrM said:

probably not enough core voltage. have you stress tested this overclock at all?

Unstable CPU overclocks basically always give a BSOD.

GPU overclock should never crash a PC, it crashes apps or drivers or worst a system freeze.

Just now, GDRRiley said:

what PSU

Here's the thing, I got an Alienware Aurora, I know, I know, it wasn't smart at the time, but I was too scared to build a PC then. It is an 875 Watt PSU which I'm guessing is made by dell, thats all I know about it. 

Just now, Zentex said:

Here's the thing, I got an Alienware Aurora, I know, I know, it wasn't smart at the time, but I was too scared to build a PC then. It is an 875 Watt PSU which I'm guessing is made by dell, thats all I know about it. 

Check if the fan works.

If it's not it's overheating and turning your PC off to prevent damage.

3 minutes ago, Hunched said:

Is your PSU fan working?

I went to the back of my PC and I did feel an intake at the PSU.

1 minute ago, Hunched said:

Check if the fan works.

If it's not it's overheating and turning your PC off to prevent damage.

It works. Do you think it might have dust buildup? I clean out my case every 3-6 months, but I've never looked at the PSU, as Dell likes to be a dick and make it hard to access.

12 minutes ago, Zentex said:

It's possible, if a lot of dust got through.

Usually sudden unexpected reboots are power issues one way or another, somewhere in the chain, could be a cable, or a connector.

Or overheating.

These things can be hard to figure out if you don't have replacement parts or any idea what could be causing them.

I'd make sure all the cable connections are secure and that the back of the PSU doesn't feel abnormally hot at any point.

You could try some "crazy" things like blowing a hair dryer into your PSU and seeing if it can deal with the heat, whether the fan ramps up and works.

Like a minute or two wouldn't really be anything dangerous unless your hairdryer is nuclear level.

I had a PSU with a non-functioning fan that would overheat and reboot my PC, when I got a replacement I blasted a hair dryer into it until the fan started.

It's one of those that only spins at a certain temperature, which the faulty one wasn't doing, which is a bit different.

Simply using Chrome with the PSU with the broken fan was enough to cause mine to reboot.

You could look around in Event Viewer for information but it probably won't help much.

Sorry I can't help much, but if your PC isn't giving BSOD's or any information to work with it's really just a guessing game.

Usually sudden reboots are physical hardware issues of some sort, and nothing to do with Windows or software settings.

Having the same problem. 

No Windows Screen. Just plain simple shutdown. Funny thing is, it all started after installing a gtx 1080. Im certain that my Seasonic X-850 has enough power for it. Sometimes it posts, sometime it didnt. Called 2 computer friends over to help me diagnose. We noticed that the post code was equal to reading from HDD. Figured that the Boot drive was wrong. ok, we found a problem but it wasnt the one causing issues. We theorized that one of my ram sticks died ( i have 2 and 4 possible locations). We would swap them back and forth, trying all the places, and we still got no consistent results. Even though it wasnt a windows error, we decided to disable intel boost. IT BOOTED. we had no idea why. but it worked. Ran aida64, it showed no errors (and excellent temps) . Flawless. We try do restart the computer... It fails. We decide to change the ram config to XMP (we were using very conservative numbers to this point). It boots. Runs well for the day. Im glad i have my computer functioning at all stock speeds. A week later of perfect use, I decide to overclock. Got good CPU and GPU clocks. Just left RAM in XMP. Runs well for 2 weeks. I decide to run Furmark. It shutsdown with no warning. Im running 3DMark stress test ATM, and it's perfect. I feel like this computer really is my new Wife. It runs okay for quite a while, but, from nowhere, it decides to go crazy! I try to understand whats the problem, but it wont give me a simple answer!

I had the same problem but only in gaming. It the temp becomes too high pc will shut down to prevent damage. It would shut down when playing or any cpu stressing applications. But PSU was bad. you can also take cpu cooler out, re apply thermal paste. Also clean the dust but not with vacuum cleaner but with compressor that vents the air out.  Then it happenned few more times on Windows 10, so i restarted ram with the jumper on the motherboard then win 10 started working only for a while. So I returned to windows 7. 

18 hours ago, rezony said:

I had the same problem but only in gaming. It the temp becomes too high pc will shut down to prevent damage. It would shut down when playing or any cpu stressing applications. But PSU was bad. you can also take cpu cooler out, re apply thermal paste. Also clean the dust but not with vacuum cleaner but with compressor that vents the air out.  Then it happenned few more times on Windows 10, so i restarted ram with the jumper on the motherboard then win 10 started working only for a while. So I returned to windows 7. 

not a heat issue with me, I imagine @Zentex also checked his also.

On 8/10/2016 at 9:19 PM, PLK said:

not a heat issue with me, I imagine @Zentex also checked his also.

Yeah, I have a liquid cooled CPU, 40c is like my max CPU temps xD, and I have a fan curve on my 980ti reference, doesn't exceed 78c