Installing OS on HP ML10 Gen9

Tim

Hello all,

This is probably me being stupid but I'm struggling to install Windows server 2012 R2 onto a new ML10 Gen9. I've set up the RAID array no problem using the HP manuals, but for OS install they just say to create a bootable USB, inset it and reboot. This just takes me to the shell environment. I've tried using the boot menu but that just has IPV4, IPV6 and the built in UEFI. I can see the USB drive in the BIOS and it definitely is working as it should be, just can't seem to get to it!

Any help greatly appreciated.

Have you loaded the RAID controller drive at the drive selection part of the Window install? If not you won't see the RAID array you have made.

Intel I9-9900k (5Ghz) Asus ROG Maximus XI Formula | Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR4-4133mhz | ASUS ROG Strix 2080Ti | EVGA Supernova G2 1050w 80+Gold | Samsung 950 Pro M.2 (512GB) + (1TB) | Full EK custom water loop |IN-WIN S-Frame (No. 263/500)

where are you plugging the bottable usb into? i wouldnt be surprised if it needs to be in a specific usb port, knowing HP proliants :P (also, the rackmount ones have internal usb ports for this iirc)

Just now, Altecice said:

Have you loaded the RAID controller drive at the drive selection part of the Window install? If not you won't see the RAID array you have made.

I haven't actually been able to get that far yet! Basically I can't seem to boot from USB at all. :(

1 minute ago, Tim said:

I haven't actually been able to get that far yet! Basically I can't seem to boot from USB at all. :(

Ahh, how are you making the USB installer?

Intel I9-9900k (5Ghz) Asus ROG Maximus XI Formula | Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR4-4133mhz | ASUS ROG Strix 2080Ti | EVGA Supernova G2 1050w 80+Gold | Samsung 950 Pro M.2 (512GB) + (1TB) | Full EK custom water loop |IN-WIN S-Frame (No. 263/500)

5 minutes ago, manikyath said:

where are you plugging the bottable usb into? i wouldnt be surprised if it needs to be in a specific usb port, knowing HP proliants :P (also, the rackmount ones have internal usb ports for this iirc)

I did wonder if that could be the case so tried them all, even the one on the motherboard itself didn't work!

3 minutes ago, Altecice said:

Ahh, how are you making the USB installer?

Just using CMD on a windows 10 PC. Looks like there's a HP tool you can use so might be worth trying that out tomorrow

Just now, Tim said:

Just using CMD on a windows 10 PC. Looks like there's a HP tool you can use so might be worth trying that out tomorrow

especially on proliant gear, do it the way HP tells you to, they tell you for a reason ;)

15 minutes ago, Tim said:

I did wonder if that could be the case so tried them all, even the one on the motherboard itself didn't work!

Check booting from USB is not disabled from within the BIOS, use the HP USB creator tool and you should be good!

I'll update tomorrow with the outcome! Thanks very much all

Are you doing this in the HP Provisioning software?

If not: Press F10 at startup to get into it and install the OS from there. You don't even need a bootable USB then, just an ISO or a disk with 2012 R2 on.

It will add all of the HP tools and drivers then as well.

CPU: i5 4670k @ 3.4GHz + Corsair H100i      GPU: Gigabyte GTX 680 SOC (+215 Core|+162 Mem)     SSD: Kingston V300 240GB (OS)      Headset: Logitech G930 

Case: Cosair Vengance C70 (white)                RAM: 16GB TeamGroup Elite Black DDR3 1600MHz       HDD: 1TB WD Blue                              Mouse: Logitech G602

OS: Windows 7 Home Premium                       PSUXFX Core Edition 750w                                                Motherboard: MSI Z97-G45               Keyboard: Logitech G510

Got pulled off this for a more important job with some Gen8 servers (which were a total breeze!)

Hopefully can have another crack at it on Monday. I don't think it gives me the option for F10 at boot. :(