quick av receiver question

below is an image of the back of the sony str dg720.  A had a few questions.  1, why does the Video 1 composite section have video in and video out, when the rest of the composite section only has video in. 2, what is that single yellow compsite port labeled, "monitor" for?  Is that how I get video to the TV or is it the video out within the video 1 section?

sony-str-dg720_1.jpg

I can help with programming and hardware.

<Script>alert("This website is vulnerable to XSS");</Script>

The video 1 "Video Out" is a loop output for only that input.  The monitor out gives you an output of whatever composite source is selected; Sat, DVD, or Video 1.

1 minute ago, patdaman45 said:

The video 1 "Video Out" is a loop output for only that input.  The monitor out gives you an output of whatever composite source is selected; Sat, DVD, or Video 1.

ok, one more question, My tv only has component in and hdmi in, so could I go from the yellow monitor out to the green on one of the composite input's?

1) so you can record with a DVR or something, basically a passthrough.

2) that is what you connect to your screen and will show you the output of whatever you choose on the receiver.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

55 minutes ago, littlepigboy5 said:

below is an image of the back of the sony str dg720.  A had a few questions.  1, why does the Video 1 composite section have video in and video out, when the rest of the composite section only has video in. 2, what is that single yellow compsite port labeled, "monitor" for?  Is that how I get video to the TV or is it the video out within the video 1 section?

sony-str-dg720_1.jpg

Enderman is correct.

Video 1 is for VCRs, DVD Recorders, HDD DVRs, etc. If you select DVD or SAT for example, the video will be outputed on Video 1's output too (for recording). 

Monitor out is where you connect your main screen to. The AV Receiver switches the inputs for you.

36 minutes ago, Enderman said:

1) so you can record with a DVR or something, basically a passthrough.

2) that is what you connect to your screen and will show you the output of whatever you choose on the receiver.

My tv only has component in and hdmi in, so could I go from the yellow monitor out to the green on one of the composite input's

1 minute ago, littlepigboy5 said:

My tv only has component in and hdmi in, so could I go from the yellow monitor out to the green on one of the composite input's

This receiver probably does not have video conversion. If so, then you have to use the same type of input as the monitor out that you're using. Component inputs if you're running component cables to your TV, and HDMI inputs if you're running an HDMI cable to your TV.

Just now, Stagea said:

This receiver probably does not have video conversion. If so, then you have to use the same type of input as the monitor out that you're using. Component inputs if you're running component cables to your TV, and HDMI inputs if you're running an HDMI cable to your TV.

if you look next to the component green section it has the letter Y next it which leads me to believe it can take composite vdieo signal.  So for example, if I had a nintendo 64 plugged into DVD composite video in, then I had a yellow cable going from video 1 out to the green part of DVD in for component, then component to my tv and i had the receiver set to DVD, would that work?

6 minutes ago, littlepigboy5 said:

if you look next to the component green section it has the letter Y next it which leads me to believe it can take composite vdieo signal.  So for example, if I had a nintendo 64 plugged into DVD composite video in, then I had a yellow cable going from video 1 out to the green part of DVD in for component, then component to my tv and i had the receiver set to DVD, would that work?

Unless your TV supports composite over the Y input (some TVs do), it will not. You may get a monochrome image (black and white in this case) because of this.

The Y input just takes a luma signal, which does not carry color. Composite video signals have both Y and C encoded together (hence it is sometimes called Y+C.

11 minutes ago, littlepigboy5 said:

No, you need to use component or HDMI.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020