Home made ITX Cardbaord PC.

Hello All, My name is Jordan and I've been toying with PC's for far too long and some time ago built a rather unique case for an ITX system. In 2009 or 10 (yeah it was a while ago) a friend challenged me to construct a workable case using nothing but:

• Cardboard
  • String
  • Tape
  • Glue
  • Velco for securing the lid.

I suggested it would work better if I could cannibalise an old AOpen grey box as a skeleton for mounting hardware, and some stick on rubber feet. It was also required to have a working power/reset button and easy access USB ports for flash drives. It was agreed, we shook hands and the build begun. The old AOpen case cut down to simply an ITX sized motherboard tray and graphics card bracket; (the power/reset button+activity lights were also used.) This was glued to what would become the floor of the case. Much laughter a few hours and several beers later it was complete with plastic wrap case window and all. Including room for a full sized externally cooled graphics card.

cbpc1.jpg

As you can see, string (which I might add is still there) was used to hold the I/O cage in place. You can also see that there are motherboard standoffs and a place to properly mount a hdd (now SSD.)

cbpc2.jpg

Originally it was built using a GT240 card (for testing) but this was soon traded out for a dual GPU Radeon 5990. This was all powered by the worst PSU I've ever used, some random spare 550W disaster from my mates chain smoking brother. You can see it in all it's shiny glory

cbpc3.jpg

cbpc12.jpg

Despite our fears it run without failure playing Crysis 1. However it must be noted that it smelt foul (nicotine, dust, and filth I can't imagine, all being roasted under full load.) It must be noted that the PSU acts as the only case/cpu exhaust. It is a genuine wonder that that PSU never missed a beat. 

CBPC_4.jpg

As it was first put to task.

As the innards were loan equipment from my mate, I had to give them back about 4 months later, and then the case sat idle for many years, but was briefly put to task as a media PC for another buddy while I was overseas.

However like the old axe in the shed this thing with its many heads and many handles is still the same old axe, and for the last 2 years it's been my daily driver. in more or less the same configuration.

• i5-4670k
  • Silverstone 450W SFF PSU
  • Gigabyte GA-Z87n-WiFi
  • 256GB Samsung SSD
  • GTX295
  • 16GB DDR3
  • Wireless AC 2x2 intel chip

-Updates include a slot cut in the top of the case to exhaust the GTX 295 (2014)

-Top mount USB-3.0 (2013 rebuild)
-GTX590 (for the last 2 months but it failed (or is playing silly buggers as of tonight, so the GTX295 is back in.) Had to run an external more beefy PSU for the GTX590.

It's also collected a few stickers over the years: (and a GTX480 heat spreader)

Front-on_zpsforvqw3g.jpg

inside_zpsxteb2km1.jpg

Top_down_zpsypw7evlw.jpg

It's been to many a LAN events in Adelaide/Melbourne, (even won a few awards,) and never really had any issues. It's never caught fire or smoked. just hums along minding its own business, serving me well

Desk1_zpsf1jjusla.jpg

I recently got given a 2008 LGA1366 i7 system, that I'm kind of keen to build a cardboard tower for. Once again using a metal skeleton for safe and secure mounting, but that my take a while...

Regards
Jordan

its terrible! I love it!

I make Rainmeter things and other art :D

Look at those angles so sexy. Gpu upgrade much?

Elemental 

Spoiler

Intel i5 6500 @3.8ghz - 8GB HyperX - 600w Apex PSU - GTX 1060 G1 GIGABYTE 6GB - s340 Black - 240gb Toshiba Q300 - Cooler master TX3i - MSI z170-A PRO.

Old Build (sold for 290€)

Spoiler

Intel i3 540 @ 3.9ghz (On stock cooler, Hits 80c max) - 8gb ram - 500w power supply - P7H55-M LE  120gb SSD - Talius Drakko case

Project Frug 50$ Water loop

Laptops

Spoiler

13" Macbook Air - Alienware m14x r2 -  2009 15" Macbook Pro (I was give all of these and would never buy them myself)

Tempted to get a GTX690 (can be had for <$300AUD on ebay at the moment. $ for $ nothing comes close. But at 1080p, the GTX295 still holds its own in the games I play (many years ago I bought 2 on release when I was working as a mining Engineer, but one has since died :( .)

Cable_management.jpg

my i7-920 with 2GTX295's in a Silverstone HTPC case from early 2009 (after I cable managed it)

No_cable_management.png

(and before)

It's ugly as hell, and that's exactly why it's awesome :P

"She may not look like much but she's got it where it counts" - Han Solo.

Project White Lightning (My ITX Gaming PC): Core i5-4690K | CRYORIG H5 Ultimate | ASUS Maximus VII Impact | HyperX Savage 2x8GB DDR3 | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | WD Black 1TB | Sapphire RX 480 8GB NITRO+ OC | Phanteks Enthoo EVOLV ITX | Corsair AX760 | LG 29UM67 | CM Storm Quickfire Ultimate | Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum | HyperX Cloud II | Logitech Z333

Benchmark Results: 3DMark Firestrike: 10,528 | SteamVR VR Ready (avg. quality 7.1) | VRMark 7,004 (VR Ready)

Other systems I've built:

Core i3-6100 | CM Hyper 212 EVO | MSI H110M ECO | Corsair Vengeance LPX 1x8GB DDR4  | ADATA SP550 120GB | Seagate 500GB | EVGA ACX 2.0 GTX 1050 Ti | Fractal Design Core 1500 | Corsair CX450M

Core i5-4590 | Intel Stock Cooler | Gigabyte GA-H97N-WIFI | HyperX Savage 2x4GB DDR3 | Seagate 500GB | Intel Integrated HD Graphics | Fractal Design Arc Mini R2 | be quiet! Pure Power L8 350W

I am not a professional. I am not an expert. I am just a smartass. Don't try and blame me if you break something when acting upon my advice.

...why are you still reading this?

Imagine if some parts start smoking. That would be a disaster.

I like that Mazda sticker.