Jagged Shadows,Pop in,Low LOD and jagged aa

Message added by WkdPaul,

Please stay civil and respectful, any violations of the Community Standards will be met with appropriate sanctions against your account.

I played some best looking mobile games (The Elder Scrolls: Blades, Asphalt 9 and Sky: Children of the Light) on my new smartphone Samsung Galaxy s20 Ultra and they noticeably lack proper anti-aliasing, because there are jaggies and shimmering on many objects. I don't know, maybe this is normal for mobile games? I don't play them very often. But it feels weird to have AA issues at 3200x1440p resolution.

Yes it is. Your screen can have a very high resolution, but the objects that are rendered, are rendered way lower. I dont own a high end phone, but you can look maybe at some youtube vids of that game, to make sure, if it is related to your cellphone!

One friend of mine just upgraded his GPU from an Nvidia Geforce 1050 to an AMD 5700XT. After he uninstalled his nvidia driver and installed latest AMD drivers we played Far Cry 5 as usual. I asked him if he noticed some difference in the Lod (a thing  that I asked him many times): He was horrified. Trees loading everywhere, shadows and reflections all fucked up, shimmering and texture pop-in everywhere. I said to him welcome to the club. 

So there you go. It's a driver problem. 

8 minutes ago, hellgatsu said:

One friend of mine just upgraded his GPU from an Nvidia Geforce 1050 to an AMD 5700XT. After he uninstalled his nvidia driver and installed latest AMD drivers we played Far Cry 5 as usual. I asked him if he noticed some difference in the Lod (a thing  that I asked him many times): He was horrified. Trees loading everywhere, shadows and reflections all fucked up, shimmering and texture pop-in everywhere. I said to him welcome to the club. 

But if this is so, then how to explain the fact that after a complete update of the system, HDD / SSD, the problem remains?

Where and how does this driver write its code?

5 minutes ago, Alastor_Pride said:

But if this is so, then how to explain the fact that after a complete update of the system, HDD / SSD, the problem remains?

Where and how does this driver write its code?

For me, after i format clean the sdd with windows, and stopping windows updates - installing only gpu drivers, it seems that the problem is almost gone. Studying A LOT of games that i play on other people pc's and on youtube/twitch I simply noticed that to some degree the pop-in of objects and texture and even the shadow/reflection shimmering is normal in every game. It is just too amplified to us due tu some major driver failure. But to our eyes seems to never go away because IT IS always there in every game to some degree.

I'm pretty sure thaty in this moment if I would upgrade my AMD gpu to an Nvidia one the problem would magically disappear.

6 hours ago, hellgatsu said:

For me, after i format clean the sdd with windows, and stopping windows updates - installing only gpu drivers, it seems that the problem is almost gone. Studying A LOT of games that i play on other people pc's and on youtube/twitch I simply noticed that to some degree the pop-in of objects and texture and even the shadow/reflection shimmering is normal in every game. It is just too amplified to us due tu some major driver failure. But to our eyes seems to never go away because IT IS always there in every game to some degree.

I'm pretty sure thaty in this moment if I would upgrade my AMD gpu to an Nvidia one the problem would magically disappear.

You do not have the opportunity to check this soon?

9 hours ago, hellgatsu said:

Driver problem that affects integrated graphics and somehow spread's on other OS and at random point decides to fuck up image quality in games and desktop too!?

Guys stop with assumption's please!

Maybe it has something to do with Dch and whql drivers. Whql, is certified by windows, and installed by windows updates and dcl not. Maybe someone can try to get an old driver cd, where usually there is a Dch driver installed. I will also try it with my GTX 1070, because my driver CD also has a Dch driver.

Edit: Just an assumption, because it can maybe help for the particular case for your friend. Our problem has probably nothing to do with that.

16 hours ago, hellgatsu said:

I don't think so. I have an NVIDIA GPU and having these problems. I have noticed that even text on windows for me is jagged. I don't know what to do now. Even reading text on my PC is painful. In Games apart from having Jaggies and Crawling/Shimmering I'm having weird shadows. For some games shadows Flickers for some it's pixelated and correct itself only when I move closer. So no it's not AMD driver problem. Many of us are having this on Nvidia GPUs too, hell soem of us even noticed this on Integrated GPUs as well

5 hours ago, sanz1112 said:

I don't think so. I have an NVIDIA GPU and having these problems. I have noticed that even text on windows for me is jagged. I don't know what to do now. Even reading text on my PC is painful. In Games apart from having Jaggies and Crawling/Shimmering I'm having weird shadows. For some games shadows Flickers for some it's pixelated and correct itself only when I move closer. So no it's not AMD driver problem. Many of us are having this on Nvidia GPUs too, hell soem of us even noticed this on Integrated GPUs as well

I know, I have your exact same issue. I'm saying that upgrading from a brand to another (so entirely new drivers) may fix it. Years ago (at least 10) I had the same issue, it disappeared after I updgraded GPU.

Anyway, our problem is much more widespread that you think. I've found countless threads on many forum of this problem applied to a variety of games.

For example, there are a lot of threads relating the Resident Evil engine having bugged reflections. They are not bugged, they all have our same problem and they notice it only in Resident Evil. I know because I played RE2 and RE7 before I had this problem and the reflections were perfectly fine, awesome.

Same thing for a lot of other games, GTA5, RDR2, Far Cry 5, Assassin's Creed Series, you name it.
They just don't know that it's in ALL games for them. 

It can also show itself in a variety of different cases, like The Long Dark, which is an Unity game, appears to be stuck on low setting as they discussed in this thread years ago https://steamcommunity.com/app/305620/discussions/4/2119355556474754620/?l=italian
That guy was just having our same issue, because I have his same problem today with that game.

On 6/24/2020 at 8:28 PM, Rylex said:

After I got the problem, a couple of people were at my house for a lan. Noone has these problems rn. They all played from the same wlan! If someone has the capabilities to program such "malware", he will definitely not be using it just to downgrade graphics. It will be used to make money, and this right here doesnt bring any money for these people.

Okay if you were connected after the problem occured to you, then that should rule out a malware but for that you have to be sure that others didn't get it. Are you sure? Do you have enough access to those devices to confirm it? Or it could still be a malware but it triggered only for you because your device has the required condition to be triggered for malware to work. I don't know, if you can confirm this that other devices that connected through your LAN definitely don't have this problem, then at least we can rule out malware thing. Please see that , and reply.

On 6/26/2020 at 10:25 PM, hellgatsu said:

You ruined it for him LMAO. This problem is everywhere, people just don't notice it. It's sometimes the nature of the games itself. However, some other times it's the GPU behaviour. The reason I'm saying the latter is because I recently let GTA V use the settings it wants (default ones) and the game looked beautiful (almost unnoticeable jaggies - very playable) until the last freaking mission. I enjoyed the great graphics for about 4 days consecutively. On the 5th day when I went for round 2 in the evening, it returned to the crappy look. The game ending felt so unsatifsying :/

4 hours ago, zamh said:

You ruined it for him LMAO. This problem is everywhere, people just don't notice it. It's sometimes the nature of the games itself. However, some other times it's the GPU behaviour. The reason I'm saying the latter is because I recently let GTA V use the settings it wants (default ones) and the game looked beautiful (almost unnoticeable jaggies - very playable) until the last freaking mission. I enjoyed the great graphics for about 4 days consecutively. On the 5th day when I went for round 2 in the evening, it returned to the crappy look. The game ending felt so unsatifsying :/

In some cases you are right. We play far cry 5 every day and I always asked him if he see my same problem and he Indeed always said yes, he can see It. But After he upgraded the GPU he was HORRIFIED After asked him again. It got worse. He experienced out same downgrade in graphics

And how would you explain that a driver issue can cause the same consecuences in all the devices connected to the house current?

Can you remind me pls: did someone fix this issue by moving to another house, apartment, town?

Untitled.thumb.png.6a4bdc2133ca9473e2507e23cf8258e5.pngUntqweitled.thumb.png.cfc6173226fb5e38d01437001b02cb75.pngHello strangers! I just wanted to make an account to add some information to this thread in hopes this problem gets fixed.

This is my experience and my assumptions that come with it.

I installed pop_os due to linus tech tips always pushing the fact that it caught up to windows, and me being a fool with no knowledge,

soon found out it doesn't play nice with crt's. I had to manually set an edid for my monitor. (tells the monitor information about what res it can support)

After that fiasco I installed lutris to, of course play games. During gameplay I NEVER ONCE saw this issue even on medium shadows.(game was tauri wow)

this makes me think the problem isn't in the nvidia drivers, the card, direct x, or the power outlet but rather a problem with the windows files somewhere somehow.

The reason I think this is because lutris makes a BARE MINIMUM version of windows files and convert the direct x conversation to vulcan in real time if I remember right.

I was putting it into windows 10 compatability to get the best performance in wine along with direct x 12 option in lutris. As soon as I reinstalled windows I had cruddy lines and shadows. I tried dota2 vulcan mode to see if its just vulcan being smart but had a horrible shadow issue nontheless. If anyone wants to test the theory of its windows causing this issue load a usb with pop_os, download lutris or steam from pop shop and download a small game to test. (its a usb after all)  Id test linux again but I allready know the results, but seeing if it helps others will hopefully help us know what to look for to fix this issue for you and me. (im not going back to linux) The only other thing I possibly think it could be, from my thoughts is the edid so ill try loading the same custom edid from linux in windows to see if this alleviates anything and let you know the results. (since I backed up the edid)

Edited by Blackwingg812
to show i have the problem

6 hours ago, Blackwingg812 said:

Untitled.thumb.png.6a4bdc2133ca9473e2507e23cf8258e5.pngUntqweitled.thumb.png.cfc6173226fb5e38d01437001b02cb75.pngHello strangers! I just wanted to make an account to add some information to this thread in hopes this problem gets fixed.

This is my experience and my assumptions that come with it.

I installed pop_os due to linus tech tips always pushing the fact that it caught up to windows, and me being a fool with no knowledge,

soon found out it doesn't play nice with crt's. I had to manually set an edid for my monitor. (tells the monitor information about what res it can support)

After that fiasco I installed lutris to, of course play games. During gameplay I NEVER ONCE saw this issue even on medium shadows.(game was tauri wow)

this makes me think the problem isn't in the nvidia drivers, the card, direct x, or the power outlet but rather a problem with the windows files somewhere somehow.

The reason I think this is because lutris makes a BARE MINIMUM version of windows files and convert the direct x conversation to vulcan in real time if I remember right.

I was putting it into windows 10 compatability to get the best performance in wine along with direct x 12 option in lutris. As soon as I reinstalled windows I had cruddy lines and shadows. I tried dota2 vulcan mode to see if its just vulcan being smart but had a horrible shadow issue nontheless. If anyone wants to test the theory of its windows causing this issue load a usb with pop_os, download lutris or steam from pop shop and download a small game to test. (its a usb after all)  Id test linux again but I allready know the results, but seeing if it helps others will hopefully help us know what to look for to fix this issue for you and me. (im not going back to linux) The only other thing I possibly think it could be, from my thoughts is the edid so ill try loading the same custom edid from linux in windows to see if this alleviates anything and let you know the results. (since I backed up the edid)

just tried to use linux to test this one more time, and now I get cruddy shadows there too.... looks like my theorys a bust, Next theory I wonder if it has anything to do with how to game is installed in windows?

On 6/27/2020 at 5:00 PM, sanz1112 said:

Where is your all okay laptop? Where are the recordings posted? You cannot be taken seriously like this.

On 6/24/2020 at 8:28 PM, Rylex said:

After I got the problem, a couple of people were at my house for a lan. Noone has these problems rn. They all played from the same wlan! If someone has the capabilities to program such "malware", he will definitely not be using it just to downgrade graphics. It will be used to make money, and this right here doesnt bring any money for these people.

Yes where are those people? Where is the reply ? If you are busy it's okay. But please reply this message first before you post anything new.

What do you mean with "where are those people"? My friends? They are at their home, and are not affected by this issue. Please clarify!

6 hours ago, rajl said:

Where is your all okay laptop? Where are the recordings posted? You cannot be taken seriously like this.

As a matter of fact I did try GTA 5 on my laptop but it couldn't run it with the same settings as my PC. If I record on my laptop it will look same and will not be a valid comparison. Even with the resolution of 720P my laptop hardly manages 28-30 FPS with all AA Off. The game looked awful and hence I didn't record a video. If you can recommend some game which is good for testing and my PC and Laptop can run with same settings I'll be happy to provide the recording. My Laptop has Nvidia 940m with 5th gen intel i5. My PC has intel i7-9700k with RTX 2070

18 hours ago, Rylex said:

What do you mean with "where are those people"? My friends? They are at their home, and are not affected by this issue. Please clarify!

Yes confirm it please

15 hours ago, sanz1112 said:

As a matter of fact I did try GTA 5 on my laptop but it couldn't run it with the same settings as my PC. If I record on my laptop it will look same and will not be a valid comparison. Even with the resolution of 720P my laptop hardly manages 28-30 FPS with all AA Off. The game looked awful and hence I didn't record a video. If you can recommend some game which is good for testing and my PC and Laptop can run with same settings I'll be happy to provide the recording. My Laptop has Nvidia 940m with 5th gen intel i5. My PC has intel i7-9700k with RTX 2070

So that is why I said use a phone camera and post through it. I don't care about fps just that this new laptop of your brother's with win 8 which didn't have these problems you said, yeah we want that recording off a phone camera.

Hi, I'm new to this thread, but I also face these issues. Do you think the might be related to modding games? I started to notice them not so long after I started modding games (Fallout 4 and Nier:Automata) but it could completly unrelated as well. I thought of that because some mods affect .ini and .conf files (which are directly responsible for LoD,I suppose?) shaders (ReShade) or ENBs (not so sure about them, I think I saw some topics on forums saying they might affect global system settings). 

Sorry, if this question was asked before, but this thread goes for a few years now and I would spend days reading it from the beginning (well, still I've read like 30 pages). 

3 hours ago, Neon77 said:

Hi, I'm new to this thread, but I also face these issues. Do you think the might be related to modding games? I started to notice them not so long after I started modding games (Fallout 4 and Nier:Automata) but it could completly unrelated as well. I thought of that because some mods affect .ini and .conf files (which are directly responsible for LoD,I suppose?) shaders (ReShade) or ENBs (not so sure about them, I think I saw some topics on forums saying they might affect global system settings). 

Sorry, if this question was asked before, but this thread goes for a few years now and I would spend days reading it from the beginning (well, still I've read like 30 pages). 

This problem may occur after modding, but it should be fixable by reinstalling the game, which doesn't help for us. (Reinstalling OS should also usually help!)