Jagged Shadows,Pop in,Low LOD and jagged aa

Message added by WkdPaul,

Please stay civil and respectful, any violations of the Community Standards will be met with appropriate sanctions against your account.

Unfortunately, I am from Algeria I cannot pay online

On 12/5/2016 at 5:35 AM, clement1012 said:

Thanks but I do how for my tv and my ps3

yes exactly, it started out with my ps3 too, and then it went to xbox 360, pc and then ps4 

On 12/7/2016 at 5:22 AM, MarkFMB said:

Has anyone moved house and tried not bringing anything from his old house? Like buying new pc and all its peripherals new, including screens, new tv, consoles, external hds etc.etc.? Cause that's what i'm planning on trying when i move out on my own. Selling pc, ps4, screens, peripherals etc.etc. and buy everything new. Wipe external hds and throw them in the junk.  Buy new tv, new cables, new router with a new internet connection for the new house. New pendrives. Not accessing to any file that i might have stored online in cloud storages on my new devices. Everything. Might takes some time, 1 year or more to reach that point, but that's the plan. If that doesn't work i dunno what will.

Meanwhile i've started enjoying games again on pc. DSR + tweaking of inis and Nvidia control panels + SweetFX makes most titles ALMOST normal. Some things like blocky shadows shaped like chainsaws crawling everywhere or fucking triangle shaped jaggy shadows on characters faces out of nowhere will never die i guess... and some staircase white jaggies still remain... but MOSTLY you can manage to make them look normal (even if you have to spend a good 2 hours tweaking a game before you can even play it). On my PS4 the matter is totally different. Can't do anything there, so i'm really cringing when playing it, like feeling like i want to poke my eyes out and throw the console out of the window... but i'm enduring painfully for the exclusives i want to play (hang in there FFXV, i'll finish you even if you look like a ps2 game someone shit on sometimes... i promise brah <3).

To anyone saying "OMG YOU'RE ALL MAD, THIS IS TOTALLY NORMAL", i had like a 16-17 years old son of a friends' couple here tonight, and i hook him up on my ps4 cause he was getting bored. He tried some FFXV and after 10 minutes he comes to me and says "WOW Graphics are really awesome on this game... but what are those white flashing lines and shapes on grates, poles and straight stuff? And why shadows and foliage are flickering like that? That's not normal i think you have some issues with tv or ps or something". Took him 10 minutes to notice, didn't even tell him anything beforehand cause i was curious if he would notice or if it's normal as some unhelpful chaps around the internet claim. I was so happy i almost wanted to kiss him (ofc i didn't).

This is honestly the weirdest and more mysterious issue i ever had with something technology-related. It's clear by now that the whole issue is shadow acne tbh. It's not aliasing or anything imho. It's something totally fucking up and messing with the shadow mapping. What and how is mysterious though, cause something like that should surely be SW related, but that wouldn't explain how and why it passes through hardware as it's apparent it does by now...

yo bro you and i have the same probelm, it started out with my ps3 and now its on my pc and ps4 too

On 3/8/2017 at 5:59 AM, iiNNeX said:

Here is what a very technically savvy guy PMed me a while ago:

"Hello iiNNex,

I have good news and bad news.

SpeedUP and I figured out the exact problem and have an idea of how to fix it. Bad news is that we don't know how to do it.

So long story short I tracked the problem to NvAPI which is the CoreSDK of nVidia CUDA Dev by running some commands using the CUDA Development kit. This NvAPI is set of instruction of how a GPU has to react and nearly all games have a variant of it. A variant of NvAPI (Usually named as nvpmapi) is what holds the switch to different functions that the APIs like D3D and OpenGL and now VulkanRT do such as AA and AF. Every time you change something in a game's or 3D application settings, it writes a modified NvAPI to the GPUs L2 Cache (Or Dram however I think it's the cache since the DRAM resets itself when you restart PC). I tried writing API contexts to the L2 and guess what, the 3D applications started acting differently but here's the thing; whenever you close an application a global version of NvAPI must written into L2 Cache or in other terms flushed. Here's a copy of my message to SpeedUP:

DESCRIPTION: Decrements the ref-counter and when it reaches ZERO, unloads NVAPI library. This must be called in pairs with NvAPI_Initialize.

SUPPORTED OS: Windows XP and higher

Note: By design, it is not mandatory to call NvAPI_Initialize before calling any NvAPI. When any NvAPI is called without first calling NvAPI_Initialize, the internal refcounter will be implicitly incremented. In such cases, calling NvAPI_Initialize from a different thread will result in incrementing the refcount again and the user has to call NvAPI_Unload twice to unload the library. However, note that the implicit increment of the refcounter happens only once. If the client wants unload functionality, it is recommended to always call NvAPI_Initialize and NvAPI_Unload in pairs.

Unloading NvAPI library is not supported when the library is in a resource locked state. Some functions in the NvAPI library initiates an operation or allocates certain resources and there are corresponding functions available, to complete the operation or free the allocated resources. All such function pairs are designed to prevent unloading NvAPI library.

For example, if NvAPI_Unload is called after NvAPI_XXX which locks a resource, it fails with NVAPI_ERROR. Developers need to call the corresponding NvAPI_YYY to unlock the resources, before calling NvAPI_Unload again.

Return values:
NVAPI_ERROR One or more resources are locked and hence cannot unload NVAPI library
NVAPI_OK NVAPI library unloaded

So remember how I said that each 3D rendering software comes with a variant of NvAPI? Well thats why its happening. Now let me set up a scenario:

Imagine running a game such as GTA V. The first time you run it the settings are usually set on lowest meaning no AF or AA, low shadow resolution and distance. So the NvAPI takes these settings and unloads them into the L2 Cache of GPU so that the Stream-multiprocessors can read them and when ever you exit the game NvAPI should force the GPU to flush the settings by writing Global Settings into the cache area. For some reason it's stuck. It can happen when you change a setting by dramatically tuning it up and the variant is not fast enough to rewrite. Now the settings cannot be verified by any variant in order to be flushed. The only way to fix this is to find the way to flush the cache and unload a clean NvAPI into the cache. Now this also answers why this happens again when you insert new parts into the PC and that is because the drivers always keep the same buggy variant in their backup files and loads it into memory if its missing. It also works the other way, if you reinstall the drivers, it automatically reads the variants setting from the cache and make a copy of the variant. 

So the document claims that in order to fix it we have to unlock the resources and unload a variant (The red text) However I have no idea how to do that."

Hopefully that can help people. I just don't bother with games anymore :)

but what about consoles? does the same apply for consoles as well?

why dont we all tell Linus to make a video about it, maybe it will get some exposure, flood all his videos with our comments, in a good way though, until he gets notice...what say guys? and if that happens maybe other people who are skeptical will join us too...

Yes, every console has a "Graphics card" and an API. They have nearly the same components as a PC.

So, I have experienced the jagged lines also on my smartphone, as I charged it downstairs. (Note: We have another electrical circuit downstairs.) And after a couple of weeks, after I recharged it upstairs the problems cleared a bit up. Maybe it is just imagination, but I am pretty sure it is not, as other PCs upstairs don't really have the problems like jagged fonts in windows, but that could also be a placebo... Atm my Gaming PC is downstairs...

All the stuff about the GPU L2 Cache being stuck or something like that....If it like this, why the problem is still there even changing GPU?

6 minutes ago, hellgatsu said:

All the stuff about the GPU L2 Cache being stuck or something like that....If it like this, why the problem is still there even changing GPU?

Because it is not the problem. Just bad speculation.nvapi is related to Nvidia and not everyone uses nvapi.

I'll say it again, 50€ to whoever can solve this problem once and for all.
Someone contact Linus, we absolutely need help.

I don't think that flooding Linus with messages is a good way to get his attention. I also don't think that 50€ reward would change anything. We would probably need to offer close to 10k to get some basic help from him. But, we don't have such money. Sooo... I don't know. I just don't know.

I am absolutely not sure about this, but perhaps our problem will interest him. But I understand that very few things in this world are done for free.

More and more people come to our forum with this problem, but not enough attention is paid to it.

We need help from linus so we have to contribute money together ...

3 hours ago, Asasinas said:

I don't think that flooding Linus with messages is a good way to get his attention. I also don't think that 50€ reward would change anything. We would probably need to offer close to 10k to get some basic help from him. But, we don't have such money. Sooo... I don't know. I just don't know.

For 10k he will sell his soul , but even that won't be enough for us to solve our problems. Because we need an expert like someone from intel, amd, Nvidia, Samsung, apple, Huawei, Sony , lg , dell, hp, Microsoft etc. Especially from the hardware and firmware manufacturers to seriously research into this until it gets solved. But for that , first our problem has to be recognised as a real problem from these manufacturers' top employees that can push the issue all the way up and down and maybe that is what has not happened yet. If this has already happened and the companies involved have not made any effort to solve these issues then we should boycott them and push them to legal grounds. First we need to be sure that the important people of these companies know it and are working with dedication to solve the issue or if they are not then we will have to be on them.

1 hour ago, rajl said:

For 10k he will sell his soul , but even that won't be enough for us to solve our problems. Because we need an expert like someone from intel, amd, Nvidia, Samsung, apple, Huawei, Sony , lg , dell, hp, Microsoft etc. Especially from the hardware and firmware manufacturers to seriously research into this until it gets solved. But for that , first our problem has to be recognised as a real problem from these manufacturers' top employees that can push the issue all the way up and down and maybe that is what has not happened yet. If this has already happened and the companies involved have not made any effort to solve these issues then we should boycott them and push them to legal grounds. First we need to be sure that the important people of these companies know it and are working with dedication to solve the issue or if they are not then we will have to be on them.

You said well.

1 hour ago, rajl said:

We are too few so far, they are unlikely to be heard. 

6 hours ago, Asasinas said:

Not for him 50€. For whoever. Add your money if you want.

I found a guy who explained (years ago) how to adjust the low lod bias from the registry.

LOD Settings AMD :

Hard way:
-------------

Open Registry -> 'regedit'

Navigate to :

HLM/System/CurrentControlSet/Control/Video/

Now under Video find the Key that has a '0000' subkey which has a 'umd' subkey.

eg. for my system its:

HLM/System/CurrentControlSet/Control/Video/{62B0C7BD-B807-45BE-8AAC-3176AB0DBF51}/0000/umd

Under 'UMD':

Create a String Named 'LodAdj' and assign value between -5 (Crisp Detail) to 5 (Faded Detail) .

I tried it but I'm not really sure if it did something.

hi everyone hope you guys are getting use to jaggies 😕 however I've found the best solution. Please let me know your results Would like to share my new results. So went back and played around with many settings, I realized that the only way to get the least amount of jaggies is a combination of upping your resolution and setting MSAA. For different games try different resolutions until you get the least amount of jaggies . Each have different results.

For Gta V i will share the best way to reduce jaggies and pixalation in grass and other items that are in the distance. Now if you are AMD GO TO display and set virtual super resolution to enabled. Next jump into GTA V and set the following.

Screen resolution : 3200 x 1800 or above -drastic difference least jaggies

2560 x 1440 meh better performance but more jaggies

Msaa - 4x takes away all the pixalation in Also notice that if you have no msaa , less jaggies on road lines however grass looks like Minecraft

Fxaa - nope causes more hell

DO NOT USE FRAME SCALING MODE. this makes no difference whatsoever.

In assassins creed origin i can get rid of most and all jaggies with the user of in game scale resolution and adaptive msaa.

So I think other games play around with msaa - x4. upping the in games resolution and using virtual resolution or changing the screen resolution. 

For watch dogs 2: Used virtual super resolution

Set resolution to 2560 x 1440

Set temporal filter on. Better performance

Pixel density - 1.25 Lowered a few settings

So much better this is actually worth playing

If you have a better Pc set a higher res and MSAA X4 no smaa or fxaa Fps : 35 - 45

Pc specs: Core i3 9100f Rx 570 8GB 16 GB RAM

Yes i am also think that maybe its not just aliasing. Its shadows+aliasing+ distance+lights and maybe more. As i see some games are totally fine and some are horrible. But i also think some textures and surfaces are tend to be more sensitive to this problem like white lines weird grass and trees... But i dont think is nvdia problem so the nvapi thing maybe not the solution. And yes i have ps 4 too and i see it and sometimes on regular tv program too so maybe its the monitor or display problem. 

Only theories nothing more on this topic.

Maybe is this, maybe is that, maybe is something else, maybe is nothing and result is 142 pages and running without finding what is casue of this problem and without fix!

We need to look for the possibility of communication with people who can thoroughly approach the problem. More literate.

I think that we ourselves will discuss this issue for a very long time.

Instead of assuming, what this problem is, we can also try to find the things that the problem isn't! (This is all my opinion, and based on my own research!) First of all, I want to say that the possibility of a "Virus" is NOT possible. First of all, this so called "virus" has to work on every possible device, smartphone, console and PC. It HAS to go into firmware level, or else this is issue is not possible, and we would fix it with a clean format! Also, who on earth would make themselves such trouble, just do downgrade graphics. If it would be a crypto miner, and the developers of it would have such capabilities in programming, the would fix definitely fix this issue, so noone would be able to spot such "malware". In terms of "Software" or "Hardware" level, I am not really sure,  how and why it is, like it is for us. As I read on many forums, just a couple of people got it fixed by changing components or reinstalling drivers. As we are here, there are probably a couple of people assuming their issue is "ours", (Maybe it is also me?) When their issue can be easily fixed by driver reinstallation. Also I have no clue about electricity. At least there is one theorie, which we can debunk. (Personal opinion) And this is a beginning. Also if you try to get it fixed. Don't read others posts about potential "fixes" and forget about them. This problem has different causes, as other people showed it to us! I hope I could clear a bit up.

Yes even I think that people in this forum, though having similar symptoms have all the different causes.

But I believe at this point everyone must have installed-reinstalled their drivers countless times.

I myself have clean installed windows twice and the problem isn't going anywhere.

But what I believe is for some of us it can be a sign of failing GPU or failing PSU and they simply are not ready to test that possibility out because many times in this forum people have suggested against it, that changing hardware will not fix the problem. We need to isolate the fixable cases from the real problem by first testing things out. For me it's not happening on my other devices, so might be my GPU is failing. I'll soon test a new GPU, PSU combination to rule out this possibility. And I think all of us should rule out these before saying that the issue is unsolvable, because for you it might be because of totally different cause and is just a matter of reinstalling drivers or replacing some hardware.

16 hours ago, Rylex said:

Instead of assuming, what this problem is, we can also try to find the things that the problem isn't! (This is all my opinion, and based on my own research!) First of all, I want to say that the possibility of a "Virus" is NOT possible. First of all, this so called "virus" has to work on every possible device, smartphone, console and PC. It HAS to go into firmware level, or else this is issue is not possible, and we would fix it with a clean format! Also, who on earth would make themselves such trouble, just do downgrade graphics. If it would be a crypto miner, and the developers of it would have such capabilities in programming, the would fix definitely fix this issue, so noone would be able to spot such "malware". In terms of "Software" or "Hardware" level, I am not really sure,  how and why it is, like it is for us. As I read on many forums, just a couple of people got it fixed by changing components or reinstalling drivers. As we are here, there are probably a couple of people assuming their issue is "ours", (Maybe it is also me?) When their issue can be easily fixed by driver reinstallation. Also I have no clue about electricity. At least there is one theorie, which we can debunk. (Personal opinion) And this is a beginning. Also if you try to get it fixed. Don't read others posts about potential "fixes" and forget about them. This problem has different causes, as other people showed it to us! I hope I could clear a bit up.

Graphic downgrade or something like that is a consequence . It is not a malware? Like okay but then what is it?

I have seen few instances of malwares causing bad gaming experience, overdrawing power and overusing cpu and ram. Also I have found malwares that don't cause any obvious performance downgrade on windows or even gameplay but they would do something like increasing load time by 10s , now that doesn't mean somebody especially designed a malware to just impact loading time by 10s. It's just a consequence. And I know that it was malware because once I removed those malwares , the load time was drastically faster like 1 or 2 s instead of 10 or 12 s and I didn't know that it was supposed to be that fast , i always thought that 10 to 12 s of loading time was normal.  yes it is very complicated to make a malware that works on all kinds of devices, but there are heavely funded sophisticated pieces of malware that spread without target maybe because they fell into wrong hands or nobody takes responsibility for damages it causes because they are zero day and no one from popular security product vendors have detected it. But here is the thing , first everything was fine then these issues appear suddenly overnight. In such short span what could change that is hardware related? And if it was hardware related a fresh new pc would not have those issues immediately transferred. But what everyone shares in common is the internet. And if there is a zero day worm or Trojan lose on the internet then slowly but surely everyone will get it. But then everyone has not got it. Only a few people have. So that means special circumstances are required for such malware. One of them would be direct contact like sharing of external media or it would be using the same network or it would be using the internet that everyone shares. So those which are most vulnerable are definitely infected. It has to be some pieces of code that was executed that in consequence caused these issues. Now there might be other issues as well but we don't know it. We only know these weird graphic issues in games.

2 hours ago, rajl said:

Graphic downgrade or something like that is a consequence . It is not a malware? Like okay but then what is it?

I have seen few instances of malwares causing bad gaming experience, overdrawing power and overusing cpu and ram. Also I have found malwares that don't cause any obvious performance downgrade on windows or even gameplay but they would do something like increasing load time by 10s , now that doesn't mean somebody especially designed a malware to just impact loading time by 10s. It's just a consequence. And I know that it was malware because once I removed those malwares , the load time was drastically faster like 1 or 2 s instead of 10 or 12 s and I didn't know that it was supposed to be that fast , i always thought that 10 to 12 s of loading time was normal.  yes it is very complicated to make a malware that works on all kinds of devices, but there are heavely funded sophisticated pieces of malware that spread without target maybe because they fell into wrong hands or nobody takes responsibility for damages it causes because they are zero day and no one from popular security product vendors have detected it. But here is the thing , first everything was fine then these issues appear suddenly overnight. In such short span what could change that is hardware related? And if it was hardware related a fresh new pc would not have those issues immediately transferred. But what everyone shares in common is the internet. And if there is a zero day worm or Trojan lose on the internet then slowly but surely everyone will get it. But then everyone has not got it. Only a few people have. So that means special circumstances are required for such malware. One of them would be direct contact like sharing of external media or it would be using the same network or it would be using the internet that everyone shares. So those which are most vulnerable are definitely infected. It has to be some pieces of code that was executed that in consequence caused these issues. Now there might be other issues as well but we don't know it. We only know these weird graphic issues in games.

After I got the problem, a couple of people were at my house for a lan. Noone has these problems rn. They all played from the same wlan! If someone has the capabilities to program such "malware", he will definitely not be using it just to downgrade graphics. It will be used to make money, and this right here doesnt bring any money for these people.