Jagged Shadows,Pop in,Low LOD and jagged aa

Message added by WkdPaul,

Please stay civil and respectful, any violations of the Community Standards will be met with appropriate sanctions against your account.

2 minutes ago, Gmed said:

Dear nice guy I just met in the internet. We are all sitting in the same boat, we are all sad that our games are not working correctly, there is no reason to laugh about other people if they explain things strange. We are all doing the best we can to help everyone here to solve the problem, me too.

Every AA is a post fix. Every AA system just makes the edges of already rendered objects smooth. And there are different methods for this. For example, in the nvdia control panel (or some AMD tool if you have that kind) you can overwrite the AA of nearly every game to whatever you want. Or use programs like reshade which can use SMAA for nearly every game.

I can just tell, in my games (in fact in Assassins Creed Black Flag) SMAA looks by far the best, if you made other experience, okay, tell me how you dealt with it.

But I can just say, in my games TAA looks by far worst.

Nah man. There is real time AA and post render SMAA. Try to play RE2 with SMAA, its the worst shit, unplayable. When TAA actually fixes most of jaggies in fhd and mostly all of them in 2k or further. Check this video comparison. 

TAA is the most modern, but blurry, way to defeat jaggies and shimmering. Games that does not use it are so bad and horrible in FHD. Perhaps maybe in several years we will have 2-4k as standard or all games will have perfect AA ( which is DLSS for now, but its not in all new games still )  

In "mad max" my shadows are looking like this, maybe you have similar issues in your games (look at the edges of the leg shadows):

https://steamuserimages-a.akamaihd.net/ugc/1004807349616568572/4124D21768F260CD10D13B039091F9C32131D100/

It's horrible, the pixels arround the edges are also flickering arround even if nothings moves.

Interesting thing is, in Skyrim this issues exists too sometimes:

x5OphQx.png

But it can be solved by changing a value in an ini file. "iBlurDeferredShadowMask=6" in SkyrimPrefs.ini:

m8noef1.png

But in Mad Max somthing like iBlurDeferredShadowMask does not exist, and I dont know how to implement it.

I have his Shadow problem for sure in mad max, Divinity original sin and state of decay. I'm sure there are many more games.

3 minutes ago, Gmed said:

In "mad max" my shadows are looking like this, maybe you have similar issues in your games (look at the edges of the leg shadows):

https://steamuserimages-a.akamaihd.net/ugc/1004807349616568572/4124D21768F260CD10D13B039091F9C32131D100/

It's horrible, the pixels arround the edges are also flickering arround even if nothings moves.

x5OphQx.png

But it can be solved by changing a value in an ini file. "iBlurDeferredShadowMask=6" in SkyrimPrefs.ini:

m8noef1.png

But in Mad Max somthing like iBlurDeferredShadowMask does not exist, and I dont know how to implement it.

I have his Shadow problem for sure in mad max, Divinity original sin and state of decay. I'm sure there are many more games.

Dude. This game is from 2015. From the age of GTX 900 series. Try to have those kind of shadows in Metro exodus for example. Its just graphical issue of the game. You have to live with it! 

3 minutes ago, Kelums said:

Nah man. There is real time AA and post render SMAA. Try to play RE2 with SMAA, its the worst shit, unplayable. When TAA actually fixes most of jaggies in fhd and mostly all of them in 2k or further. Check this video comparison. 

TAA is the most modern, but blurry, way to defeat jaggies and shimmering. Games that does not use it are so bad and horrible in FHD. Perhaps maybe in several years we will have 2-4k as standard or all games will have perfect AA ( which is DLSS for now, but its not in all new games still )  

Yeah, that TAA is used most in modern games is pretty sad for me, because its just doesnt work on my system. In outer world, like i said those shimmering in trees, hairs all around, eyecancer. And everything looks so, hard to describe, like you look threw milkglas or something, way to dark also. Well, but whenn you deactivate TAA the edgy edges are killing you.

1 minute ago, Gmed said:

Yeah, that TAA is used most in modern games is pretty sad for me, because its just doesnt work on my system. In outer world, like i said those shimmering in trees, hairs all around, eyecancer. And everything looks so, hard to describe, like you look threw milkglas or something, way to dark also. Well, but whenn you deactivate TAA the edgy edges are killing you.

Btw just curious, what resolution is native on your monitor?

1 minute ago, Kelums said:

Dude. This game is from 2015. From the age of GTX 900 series. Try to have those kind of shadows in Metro exodus for example. Its just graphical issue of the game. You have to live with it! 

Okay, but I seen gameplay from Mad Max with smooth shadow edges. So its not on every system like this. The game looks ugly this way. In rooms when shadows are every where pixelling arround you get crazy!

Just now, Kelums said:

Btw just curious, what resolution is native on your monitor?

1920x1080

Just now, Gmed said:

1920x1080

me too. I ordered new 2k screen because my old one is dying out. Gotta check how it feels :) 

Look at this lucky fellow. He has perfect shadows!

And he/she had bad luck. Which is funny because, he/she just demonstrates ssao but with ssao on or off -  the shadows are meanwhile broken and nobody recognizes it. I believe there are many people arround who have those broken directx profiles, and believing the game makers are too dump too smooth shadows. Which is very unlikely because there are beginner tutorials how too smooth shadows in you own game. AND THERE ARE OTHER ONES WHERE IT JUST WORKS PERFECTLY!!!!

9 minutes ago, Kelums said:

me too. I ordered new 2k screen because my old one is dying out. Gotta check how it feels :) 

I will pray for you.

Oh, and BREAKING NEWS: "Dying Light" has no Issues at all on my system, perfect Shadows, perfect AA - any other with this game who can confirm this?

11 hours ago, Gmed said:

Well, I can just tell how it looks in my games... Half Life 2, Assassins Creed 1,2, like I said old games are looking okay for me. I meant games older then 2011, which means made BEFORE 2011. I don't know why you tell me about games which are made after 2011 and are obviously ugly as shit, I totally agree with it. Witcher 3 looks ugly for me too.

The SMAA thing is: In Assassins Creed black flag you can choose between TAA, MSAA, FXAA, SMAA  (when I remember correctly) and every mode creates incredibly ugly flimmering in trees and bushes EXCEPT SMAA. In the outer worlds in a total nightmare. Every Hair has those flimmering, and the game just offers TAA. So, its unplayable. In mad max you can improve it when you deactivate the game own anti-aliasing and use reshade to use SMAA (for me). But sadly, it doesn't fix the shadows.

Dude please the problem isn't related to the AA 

We all played these games and we all know how they are look like before 

it is not the AA or the electricity please think about that .

11 hours ago, Gmed said:

yess, in the outer worlds every single grass has shimmering and pop in your face, also the game looks so blurred

I know aa dont solve the problem, but I want to find games where a setting covers up the problems.

By the moment: Half Life 2, Assassins Creed 1,2, Origins, Odyssey ; RDR2(with configuration in nvidia panel), Dying Light, Warzone (with some jaggies), The most 2d games

This sh*t is getting more and more apparent in games. Seriously WTF? This is how Destiny 2 looks on 1440p and with 200% in-game render scale (5K) setting:

WTF is happening with that fence on the ground at 0:14 sec? I have no words.

Believe me, you don't want to see how the game looks on default 100% render scale.

Could the people who have problems with TAA post an in-game video here with;

1) no AA 

2) TAA 

Preferably a less moving scene, not a fast gameplay, so observing and comparing the scene would be easier. 

TAA is supposed to be the best AA, because it's not just AA, it actually is SSAA which increases the rendering resolution to 4-8 times. It's only downside is it's a little blurry. However, those of you who are old enough would remember, classical SSAA was also blurry and we had to play with LOD bias settings to comoansate for it. Now, we simply change sharpness and that's way easier. 

A well implemented TAA should actually be the solution to aliasing problems. Considering it's open source, not implementing it well enough is almost impossible. 

PS: Assassin's Creed Black Flag is using SMAA Tx2, but they could not specify it on the menu because the studio signed a deal with Nvidia to promote TXAA. SMAA Tx2 blends the current frame with previous one, effectively increasing the resolution to x2. And then apply SMAA on top it. This is why it's so successful. It's also on Crysis 3 and Watch Dogs 2. 

On 4/8/2020 at 12:23 AM, Gmed said:

x5OphQx.png

m8noef1.png

These games look completely normal.

Here is a picture of my Mad Max game from when i played it on release, this is years old.

48A42D8066CF934187E8447C3A25346B64105E86

Same edge of shadows you have.

Skyrim has that same problem on everyones machines.

SLAMD-XT  Ryzen 2600X 4.125ghz 1.26v~Gigabyte B450 Aorus ELITE~16GB Corsair Vengeance 3000mhz C15~Arcting Cooling Freezer 34 Esports Duo~Gigabyte Aorus RX 5700-XT~CIT chassis~120GB PNY SSD~WD BLUE 3D NAND 1TB SSD M.2~Phobya 120mm G.Silent's~SuperFlower Leadex III GOLD~Razer Basilisk~RedDragon Kumura

9 hours ago, CanCeralp said:

Could the people who have problems with TAA post an in-game video here with;

1) no AA 

2) TAA 

Check my channel, I have lots of videos there. No Man's Sky, AC: Odyssey, Total War: Three Kingdoms, Division 2 and some others use TAA and have visible flickering/shimmering effect on various objects.

I also played some new games in the past month, such as Trine 4: A Nightmare Prince, Doom Eternal and Resident Evil 3 Remake, and all of them, more or less, have issues with AA.

5 hours ago, Asasinas said:

Check my channel, I have lots of videos there. No Man's Sky, AC: Odyssey, Total War: Three Kingdoms, Division 2 and some others use TAA and have visible flickering/shimmering effect on various objects.

I also played some new games in the past month, such as Trine 4: A Nightmare Prince, Doom Eternal and Resident Evil 3 Remake, and all of them, more or less, have issues with AA.

I did. Destiny 2 is specifically terrible. But I assure you, that's not an error we can fix, nor about our computers. That's purely the result of game developers' choices. 

That is called specular aliasing and is one the most expensive type of errors to fix. Also, fixing it has its own side effects, like slight blurring or reduction in detail. So game developers simply condemn us to live with it. 

Do you want to see it fixed? Try this: 

Information 1) Specular calculations are run through shaders. This shader runs on 2x2 pixel blocks in most games (like infamous GTA V and Destiny 2), so every 4 pixel has only calculation to cut down it's performance penalty. That means; 

when you select 1920x1080p in the game options, specular shaders are run at 960x540. Total pixel ratio is 1/4. 

Information 2) For reducing the pixel crawling effect, you want a "spare/extra" information between every 2 information. In this case, information is pixels. Imagine you have 2 pixels and suddenly a quarter pixel movement happens. Neither of them can display that, because the movement wouldn't affect their center. However, if you had an extra virtual pixel between them, that extra pixel would catch this movement and reflect it on one of the actual pixels. 

What that means? Simply, it menas that we need a 3rd pixel for every two pixels to catch movements that are "smaller than a pixel" in one dimention. That 150% more pixels for one dimention. Since our screen are 2 dimentional, 150% x 150% = 225% resolution is what we need. 

Let's combine two informations: One says, we need to go as high as 225% times of our actual screen pixel size to combat movement flickering. The other information says, specular shaders are run at quarter of our selected resolution. 

To match the specular shader resolution to your screen resolution's 225%, you have to select a game resolution of 9x of your screen. 

TL; DR

If you have a 1080p screen, set the in game resolution to 5760 x 3240. You'll see that the specular errors will be gone. Should you play the game at that resolution? Of course, no. Do you have to live with that? Unfortunately, yes. It's the developers' sh*tting. 

What else would fix that? A proper optimization of the game, so post processing things like shaders can run at higher resolutions, and a high quality TAA. These can not be altered by the user. 

So, the only way to fix this is to start a proper and informed community and vote with out wallets till developers/companies can pull their heads from their.... Ebooks of "how to screw more customers and make more money at 10 steps".

Has someone tried this? It´s eletricity filter. My PC is one of infected (PC1,PC2,tried PS4 on TV). It must be external source!

2 hours ago, Marcus_V said:

Has someone tried this? It´s eletricity filter. My PC is one of infected (PC1,PC2,tried PS4 on TV). It must be external source!

Lol ..... sure it is not the electricity 

if it is the electricity then you should have problems with any other electrical device (Fridge - Microwave - TV - Lights ....etc ) 

what kind of an electrical problem that causes only textures problems XD

1 hour ago, ixDriger said:

Lol ..... sure it is not the electricity 

if it is the electricity then you should have problems with any other electrical device (Fridge - Microwave - TV - Lights ....etc ) 

what kind of an electrical problem that causes only textures problems XD

Did u read this topic (all 126pages)? Dirty power is one of the theories.

I changed 2-3 PCs ,different OS and still no fix yet.

U may laugh,but after 4y we have no solution.

6 hours ago, Marcus_V said:

Did u read this topic (all 126pages)? Dirty power is one of the theories.

I changed 2-3 PCs ,different OS and still no fix yet.

U may laugh,but after 4y we have no solution.

The solution by our hands may not exist. However, that doesn't change the cause. There is no "dirty power" for a digital product. 

Please, everyone, google "difference between digital and analog" and you'll see why electricity can not create aliasing. 

BTW, there are some people here, whose problem is clearly about the screen itself, like the whole screen flashing, or vibrating. This is entirely a different problem and must be seperated from aliasing problems. This is why I'm patiently asking for videos from everyone. Because here we have 126 pages, hundreds of people (if not thousands) and rarely have samples of the problem. We have to identify it correctly so we can actually discuss. 

The aliasing problem I'm talking about here since my first post is unsolvable by us, however people with other problems/physical monitor problems should realize that their problem may have a solution. 

On 4/7/2020 at 5:13 PM, jinx33 said:

I noticed that all my TVs have a screen that "vibrates" and I have two electric extension lead that have a red light in the center that vibrates