Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
KenjiD5

Jagged Shadows,Pop in,Low LOD and jagged aa

* thread unlocked *

 

Next time I have to clean this thread, it will stay locked.

 

Behave yourselves, or face the consequences.

Recommended Posts

I tried Call of Duty: Modern Warfare and it looks very good. Jaggies are almost non-existent, only visible at very long distances at some objects. Filmic SMAA does a fantastic job. While standard SMAA has noticeably more jaggies.

 

Anyone knows more games with filmic AA?

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

It surely has something to do with electricity mine were bad but now they look even worse than last month and me laptops adaptor keeps making sounds like a instant huge surge gets into it some times 

Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, acisheree said:

have you guys tried the long dark ? its clearly visiable and game has a lot of jaggies than other games for me and it is really annoying.

Yes, The Long Dark has very noticeable jaggies and vibrating lines even on close objects. I have a video of this game in my channel.

 

Before the problem plagued my computers, The Long Dark, like all the other games, worked perfectly fine.

Link to post
Share on other sites

@LilStormi

It has to be something related to it. After I gave up searching for answers I thought maybe I should try to see if it is electricity related so I took my PS4 to my aunt who lives in another part of the city and boom, the PS4 looks exactly as it should. Her home gets electricity from a different power plant..company..thing.. I'm dead fixed on this, nothing can change my mind.

P.S. So that people don't think I'm crazy, I invited 3 friends that own a PS4 and all agreed that it looks bad in my home (they also live in another part of the city). Also tested on 4 TVs in the house.  Now I must see what to do with this....information... Anyway, just thought I should share this. Now I know, it may not be a fix for everyone but it helped me. I'll get to the bottom of this, sooner or ...sooner I hope.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I have some news regarding my observations Ive made so far. 

Ive been doing some thinking, after I saw the video about CRT monitors having such a good picture quality and that these jagginess and flickering might be just an unfortunate setback of the modern LCD technology. 

This would work well with the mentioned video, about how the more intense light casting on complex and small geometry causes those visual artefacts. As I think, that static pixel displays (LCDs) just going haywire on how to properly drawn such image, with slight movement of camera. 

 

Ive had some very nasty issue in several games Ive played - certain mesh textures produced very ugly ghosting/smearing effect in some games and it was driving me crazy. First I thought its the game/driver/GPU issue, but later ive found out, its actually my monitor (LG 32GK850F). Ive been looking around, if someone else has this, and found out, its actually a setting in the monitor settings called "sharpening" ... I had it cranked all the way up to 100. This produced a very nice crystal clear detailed image in static, however, moving picture/camera, produced this smearing issue, which in some games looked horrible paired with some higher brightness/contrast. After finding out, that this setting is the responsible for it, I lowered it to 30, then 10 and tried turning it off completely. This ugly smearing became almost gone or not noticeable at all in games. The only drawback is, that due to this, the image is a little bit more blurry and small text a bit harder to read, though its not something disturbing and I even prefer it in game graphics. It becomes worse, when I go back to windows and the small text in browser and desktop is nearly unreadable, but I can circumwent this using different monitor settings profiles for games and for desktop.

 

Now Ive also noticed, that while lowering the sharpness, also the AA flicker/jagging becomes less noticeable, its still there, but it does not bother me that much as it was before. So just a thought for you try, if you can play around your monitor options, and in particular this pixel sharpening, to see if it changes something in your case.

 

here is some reading to back my theory up
https://www.cnet.com/how-to/turn-down-your-tv-sharpness-control/

Link to post
Share on other sites

And another idea...

 

It seems, that people come to this forum, because they think they might have the same issue, but its just a similar issue, that has some different cause. All of this causes a lot of confusion among us. Fundamentaly, the issue might not have a single solution, since it might not be caused by the same problem.

 

Some very bad jaggyness, can actually be cause by bad electricity and EM resonance. Though its a very rare case. And its probably due to cables/wires intereference.
Also I dont know how to explain the problems with LOD and texture/shadow poping. Perhaps something busted in OS/Drivers/VRAM/North Bridge....

 

So yeah, someone saying, that his issue is caused by electricity, or faulty HW, might be actually right. But yeah, posting it in a 100+ pages on a forum like this, is just making the confusion worse.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

My main gaming monitor is LG 32GK850G with Gsync, but it does not have any sharpness settings at all. Where did you found it? OSD?

 

In my case the issue has nothing to do with monitor. Like I said many times before, I tried several different monitors and TVs, settings and cables and even laptop. For 20 years my games looked amazing and then one day they started to look like shit on all my computers, monitors, TVs. It must be something else.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Again, lowering sharpness only hides the problem, doesnt fix it. Its the same as activating FXAA.

 

Also, some things will always be shimmery due to the pixelated nature of 3D graphics. This thread is about extreme shimmering that goes beyond typical limitations.

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Kladmaster said:

And another idea...

 

Some very bad jaggyness, can actually be cause by bad electricity and EM resonance. Though its a very rare case. And its probably due to cables/wires intereference.
Also I dont know how to explain the problems with LOD and texture/shadow poping. Perhaps something busted in OS/Drivers/VRAM/North Bridge....

 

So yeah, someone saying, that his issue is caused by electricity, or faulty HW, might be actually right. But yeah, posting it in a 100+ pages on a forum like this, is just making the confusion worse.

 

Jaggyness is not the problem we are discussing here. Every single game has jaggies until you apply some sort of antialiasing. You cant avoid that. And no, again, electricity has nothing to do with jaggies or anything else we have been discussing for the past 5 years. . . the symptomps of bad electricity sources will be far worst and will have nothing to do , again with the problems we are discussing. Pixelated shadows, wrong lod distances are just part of the problem, every single issue seems to be happening at once and since the same time frame more or less.

 

YOU are the one who keeps confusing people, saying again that electricity is part of the problem, we already discarded that AGES ago (yeah, every single person using a computer, or other device has electrical problems?? come on...). Also again no, the problem is not related to Os/Drivers/VRAM/North bridge (also, again, we already said that the north bridge doesnt exist anymore since a long time ago!!!!!!). Stop running in circles again. Stop confusing people!. There is nothing we can discuss anymore about this, there is no solution because nobody knows the cause, and probably we never will and we will need to endure bad graphics for the rest of our lifes (or until gamers wake up and stop giving money to gaming companing and hardware manufacturers).

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Asasinas said:

My main gaming monitor is LG 32GK850G with Gsync, but it does not have any sharpness settings at all. Where did you found it? OSD?

 

In my case the issue has nothing to do with monitor. Like I said many times before, I tried several different monitors and TVs, settings and cables and even laptop. For 20 years my games looked amazing and then one day they started to look like shit on all my computers, monitors, TVs. It must be something else.

It should be right under the brightness/contrast settings in OSD. You might need to switch to Gamer 1/2 profile, otherwise it can be grayed out
 

14 hours ago, DaoNayt said:

Again, lowering sharpness only hides the problem, doesnt fix it. Its the same as activating FXAA.

 

Also, some things will always be shimmery due to the pixelated nature of 3D graphics. This thread is about extreme shimmering that goes beyond typical limitations.

Then I guess I am not affected by this extreme case. Or at least, havent encountered it yet in the games I played recently.
Just wanted to share my experience and possible help for someone.

 

8 hours ago, tantalus said:

YOU are the one who keeps confusing people, saying again that electricity is part of the problem, we already discarded that AGES ago (yeah, every single person using a computer, or other device has electrical problems?? come on...). Also again no, the problem is not related to Os/Drivers/VRAM/North bridge (also, again, we already said that the north bridge doesnt exist anymore since a long time ago!!!!!!). Stop running in circles again. Stop confusing people!. There is nothing we can discuss anymore about this, there is no solution because nobody knows the cause, and probably we never will and we will need to endure bad graphics for the rest of our lifes (or until gamers wake up and stop giving money to gaming companing and hardware manufacturers).

There was a dude, who had artefacts even in BIOS screen and it turned out, it was something wrong with his PSU.
My point was, that there are plenty of people writing here, thinking they are affected by the same issue, but in their case, it might be something totally different. 

Me personally - after the newest W10 update and latest Nvidia drivers installed paired with offing this "Sharpness" settings, I do not feel my games being so horrible to look at anymore (In last few weeks I played DMC5, Witcher 3, Styx: Master of Shadows, Dirt 4).

Link to post
Share on other sites

I had this problem in 2010.Triger was installation of new Nvidia driver later that year my GPU died and I solved my problem by buying new PC with AMD card and also I don't believe that eletricity is main suspect here.

There is something wrong with this but what nobody knows for sure.

I am scared (also sad) to sold my PC to build another one because I'm not sure that my new PC will not have this Issues.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/28/2019 at 9:58 PM, Darker17 said:

@LilStormi

It has to be something related to it. After I gave up searching for answers I thought maybe I should try to see if it is electricity related so I took my PS4 to my aunt who lives in another part of the city and boom, the PS4 looks exactly as it should. Her home gets electricity from a different power plant..company..thing.. I'm dead fixed on this, nothing can change my mind.

P.S. So that people don't think I'm crazy, I invited 3 friends that own a PS4 and all agreed that it looks bad in my home (they also live in another part of the city). Also tested on 4 TVs in the house.  Now I must see what to do with this....information... Anyway, just thought I should share this. Now I know, it may not be a fix for everyone but it helped me. I'll get to the bottom of this, sooner or ...sooner I hope.

Me ps4 pro looks shite mate sometimes makes gaming impossible

also the adaptor surges pretty bad makes it become noisy for a few seconds same thing happens to me laptop.

 

Heard from some mates that the surges can heavily and permanently damage the hardware the issue im dealing with is sorta getting worse everyday on me both devices .

 

Here is a link to me nvidia thread which me posted some vida of me issue you lads can check out..

 

https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/forums/geforce-graphics-cards/5/312949/shimmers-and-jaggies-in-every-single-game/

 

Plus the vids are for the very beginning of the issue it surely looks worse now

Link to post
Share on other sites

In the past 10 months I've talked to various people over internet. It seems that in most cases (something like ~90%) this problem was triggered by one of two things: a) driver update b) video card upgrade.

 

So, theoretically this problem should be related to GPU and or it's components (software).  But, of course, in reality, we still don't know what causes it.

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Asasinas said:

In the past 10 months I've talked to various people over internet. It seems that in most cases (something like ~90%) this problem was triggered by one of two things: a) driver update b) video card upgrade.

 

So, theoretically this problem should be related to GPU and or it's components (software).  But, of course, in reality, we still don't know what causes it.

in my case, the problem triggered while I was playing. I was playing fallout new vegas with an enb series mod, I remember it like it was yesterday

Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, Asasinas said:

In the past 10 months I've talked to various people over internet. It seems that in most cases (something like ~90%) this problem was triggered by one of two things: a) driver update b) video card upgrade.

 

So, theoretically this problem should be related to GPU and or it's components (software).  But, of course, in reality, we still don't know what causes it.

My problem started after installing ENB to Fallout 3 I'm in minority , got this bug since autumn 2016

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, darksquall said:

My problem started after installing ENB to Fallout 3 I'm in minority , got this bug since autumn 2016

you too? thats interesting

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/28/2019 at 7:06 PM, LilStormi said:

It surely has something to do with electricity mine were bad but now they look even worse than last month and me laptops adaptor keeps making sounds like a instant huge surge gets into it some times 

Yeah it is electricity or interference that's causing this atleast for people who also have this issue outside of games. 

 

On 10/28/2019 at 11:28 PM, Darker17 said:

@LilStormi

It has to be something related to it. After I gave up searching for answers I thought maybe I should try to see if it is electricity related so I took my PS4 to my aunt who lives in another part of the city and boom, the PS4 looks exactly as it should. Her home gets electricity from a different power plant..company..thing.. I'm dead fixed on this, nothing can change my mind.

P.S. So that people don't think I'm crazy, I invited 3 friends that own a PS4 and all agreed that it looks bad in my home (they also live in another part of the city). Also tested on 4 TVs in the house.  Now I must see what to do with this....information... Anyway, just thought I should share this. Now I know, it may not be a fix for everyone but it helped me. I'll get to the bottom of this, sooner or ...sooner I hope.

I knew it was something to do with the place i moved to. In my old house/city everything was crystal clear and right after moving to this city everything looks bad. It's not only games that are getting affected. It's everything on the screen including bios logo etc. Everything looks blurry.  Even my laptop is affected. So people who are saying that it's all devices in their house. I totally believe that. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Meeseeks said:

Yeah it is electricity or interference that's causing this atleast for people who also have this issue outside of games.

No, its not. Its so sad that this thread has become a complete circle of ignorance even if we have hundreds if not thousands of pages about it, just because people dont bother to read anything before the last 2-3 pages. Electricity as a cause has been discarded AGES go, not only here, but in nvidia forums as well, and other dozens of pages. But keep it going guys, electricity is your friend...

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/30/2019 at 7:04 PM, Asasinas said:

In the past 10 months I've talked to various people over internet. It seems that in most cases (something like ~90%) this problem was triggered by one of two things: a) driver update b) video card upgrade.

 

So, theoretically this problem should be related to GPU and or it's components (software).  But, of course, in reality, we still don't know what causes it.

Driver update or videocard upgrade has nothing to do with the problem. But again, since you people seem to completely ignore all the pages before these last two, i will repeat it again. The problem was already present in previous years. Newer videocards only increase the problem symptomps. Older videocars already have this problem but in a less noticeable way. DX9 was more or less fine, DX11.1 thats when the problems started. For obvious reasons im not going to repeat again and again and again. Just please bother to read all the pages before this one, thanks.

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, tantalus said:

Driver update or videocard upgrade has nothing to do with the problem. But again, since you people seem to completely ignore all the pages before these last two, i will repeat it again. The problem was already present in previous years. Newer videocards only increase the problem symptomps. Older videocars already have this problem but in a less noticeable way. DX9 was more or less fine, DX11.1 thats when the problems started. For obvious reasons im not going to repeat again and again and again. Just please bother to read all the pages before this one, thanks.

Can you read smart guy!In my case in 2010 trigger was installation of GPU driver and on this PC was installation of the new GPU into my old system!So if you can read some people had better quality of image in the games in different places like original poster of this thread!

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/7/2016 at 7:06 AM, KenjiD5 said:

so this is a theory but might work

 

we must delete all game files (not format) 

and even games

after that we must go to regedit

i dont know but we should set it all to default

and we need to search for more game files that is hidden in appdata or something

then after finally removed

use ddu and remove driver

plug a usb/cd/or anything that have the driver installer

redownload the driver

download 1 game

play it.. if it is having a shadow box issue then trash my theory that the games is causing this problem

 

and one things

 

the real solution

 

when i was temporarily banned from linustechtips i decided to bring my pc to a rest house (yeah why would i bring a pc right?)

we were in vacation so...

 

my pc is already set and nothing is remove and my pc is small thats why (small casing/small monitor) but still heavy

 

i plug my pc there

at first it dont work because i havent notice that some plugs are not plugged

 

and it finally worked it opened

see my games in there

 

i try to play there

no internet or something just pc with games

 

it was flawless.. never seen a flaw or something in the graphics

 

yeah quite impossible..

 

and i got home last 2 days

 

plug my pc back in

have some complications due to cables but i manage to open it again

 

there it is again

 

beautiful but goddang issue

 

but i just play my games now i dont want to die searching for a solution that is might never be find by a man.. im enjoying witcher 3 even with some flaws but its okay.. 

 

 

so the solution is... fix the electricity in your house or in your goddang neighborhood... or just leave your house and buy another house miles away from your house and live there with your pc... xDxD btw i dont notice flaws in the pc when im in the rest house maybe due to the lightning of the house or i just really think it would work so i dont say that there is really no issue the rest house or is it just me thinking that it actually work but it may.. be

 

 

 

For @tantalus

P.S Read all posts from the member @Bearhugger about 60 and something page of this topic how he solved his problem.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I am new to the topic. I have read the first post and few comments. The problem seems to be that graphics of game suddenly change "overnight" with no change done in settings or hardware and it's really hard to fix it - get it back to normal.

 

I can't get my head around it. How by swapping every single hardware component around and whole system the issue is still there. Obviously the problem can't be computer hardware then. By swapping motherboard, cpu, ram, HDD/SSD, GPU, PSU you have got a completely new PC. Logically the problem is in the drivers or game or any other software counterpart. If it is hardware then there is something fundamentally wrong with GPUs or CPUs because the issues have been identified among different platforms.

 

I think it's kind of hoax (undeliberate, I believe people are telling the truth). Probabbly most of the poeple who encounter the issues described in this topic are having similiar effects but causes differ. That could be anything though. For one maybe it's the GPU driver or software setting or disfunctional hardware or monitor itself. 

 

Maybe I don't have enough information. But I think there is no single solution to what has been described because there are lots of components or combination of them that causes similiar graphics glitches. Yet I want to think that most of the time it's software bugs(game itself or graphics drivers) or simply monitor that causes such erroneous effects

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×