Jagged Shadows,Pop in,Low LOD and jagged aa

Message added by WkdPaul,

Please stay civil and respectful, any violations of the Community Standards will be met with appropriate sanctions against your account.

Weird, I can watch 1080p/60 on PCGamer.

Here, I captured some clips with my phone:

Jaggy edges and shimmering is VERY visible, especially on fences and containers or whatever this is. If I go directly to youtube, there are no visible flickering. Now compare it with my Destiny 2 jaggies. This crap seems identical.

And this is visible on all videos in PCGamer, more or less. And not visible at all if I watch on youtube directly.

Dunno why, but I have a feeling that flickering in games and flickering in videos is the same issue...

Yes I see it now in your videos. I guess some setting somewhere gets stuck but god knows what and where. Thankfully, I dont seem to have this issue in any videos.

This is so depressing. I got one week of enjoyment from my new rig...

I wonder, does our games interact with such things as Java, Adobe or even video codecs? Do these have any impact on gaming?

My theory... well it's just a theory, so I probably don't have an idea what I'm talking about... I think maybe something is preventing AA from applying correctly. PCGamer is probably full of scripts, codes, ads, custom crappy things which prevents AA from working correctly, while on youtube it works correctly. Same thing with games. Maybe some specific fullscreen optimisations/scaling settings or whatever prevents AA from starting correctly. Maybe there is some hidden process in Windows which conflicts with AA when we launch 3D app in fullscreen/window/borderless. This could be the reason why we see flickering and artifacts. Again, just a theory. Nothing more.

Quote (Asasinas):

Dunno why, but I have a feeling that flickering in games and flickering in videos is the same issue...

Me: I think so too. My videos get blurry too (and the colors are fucked up) when I suffer from this issue...

12 minutes ago, Asasinas said:

I wonder, does our games interact with such things as Java, Adobe or even video codecs? Do these have any impact on gaming?

My theory... well it's just a theory, so I probably don't have an idea what I'm talking about... I think maybe something is preventing AA from applying correctly. PCGamer is probably full of scripts, codes, ads, custom crappy things which prevents AA from working correctly, while on youtube it works correctly. Same thing with games. Maybe some specific fullscreen optimisations/scaling settings or whatever prevents AA from starting correctly. Maybe there is some hidden process in Windows which conflicts with AA when we launch 3D app in fullscreen/window/borderless. This could be the reason why we see flickering and artifacts. Again, just a theory. Nothing more.

That's a good question, that would require an expert to answer. Maybe some of those add-ons (including visual C, .NET etc.) are responsible for changing some setting somewhere. But even when uninstalled, the setting would remain.
But as the OP says, even fresh OS reformat doesnt help, so I dont know.

Gonna try a reformat tomorrow just in case.

6 hours ago, Asasinas said:

Weird, I can watch 1080p/60 on PCGamer.

Here, I captured some clips with my phone:

Jaggy edges and shimmering is VERY visible, especially on fences and containers or whatever this is. If I go directly to youtube, there are no visible flickering. Now compare it with my Destiny 2 jaggies. This crap seems identical.

And this is visible on all videos in PCGamer, more or less. And not visible at all if I watch on youtube directly.

Are you still getting it while watching on PCGamer?

You can compare your system parameters while running that video on PCGamer and then on youtube. You can use Msi Afterburner or Windows Task Manager or some other software for the parameters(GPU,CPU,RAM,DISK). Check for usage and power consumption.  Also try to keep the test fair.

Furthermore you can also compare stats of each video by right clicking on video and search for "stats for nerds"

Do you guys have this issue in every game? I jsut installed GRID, a game I know well, and it looks good. Apparently, only the new games, games that I bought this new computer for, are having problems.

Did it start with all at the same time, or did it "spread" gradually?

My computer is brand new. Plus these fixes seem very random. Of course if you make massive changes to your system, you might actually hit this one setting that causes this issue. But i'd rather find the setting. I don't have money to waste on randomly replacing parts.

I tried deleting the shader cache tho, that didnt help. And i just checked, I have all C++ installed except 2015. ?

EDIT: Uninstalling all C++ didnt help either.

Edited by DaoNayt

20 hours ago, Asasinas said:

Problem is not just AA related. All graphics get reduced...

I tried Assassin's Creed 3: Remastered and it has identical flickering to AC Odyssey.

Look at more distant windows:

If I disable AA flickering goes away, but without AA there is sooooooo much shimmering.

It seems that In my case everything is related to AA. Why does it happen and how to fix it, sadly, I have no idea.

And, of course, I tested the game on primary and secondary PC, also on laptop.

But I'm not seeing anything wrong here? It looks good to me.

Watching in fullscreen and 1440p works best. If watching only in 1080p it's almost not visible.

I just don't know what to do anymore. I feel lost. And very sad.

Just so you guys know, newer AA methods can have different weighting at different distances.  They also only operate on polygon edges for the most part.  FXAA is more of a full screen blur than actual AA as well.

Generally, textures do not get AA applied to them, which impacts things like chain link fences, power lines, or other decorative scenery like plants.  Transparency AA works on those kinds of things.

Textures with horizontal lines like the building a few posts up is a texture issue, not an AA issue.  Only SSAA can fix texture problems caused by bad art and low quality graphical assets without resorting to excessive texture blurring.

If you have a game with optional "4k" textures, try playing without having the high res textures installed or use a lower texture quality setting.

Enabling/disabling transparency in NVCP does absolutely nothing to solve this. This has to be AA. Like I said, problem goes away with it disabled, but no AA means ultra shimmering everywhere.

1 minute ago, Asasinas said:

Enabling/disabling transparency in NVCP does absolutely nothing to solve this. This has to be AA. Like I said, problem goes away with it disabled, but no AA means ultra shimmering everywhere.

TAA only works on titles that do NOT use deferred rendering AFAIK.

AA on Franklin - perfect
AA on world models - nonexistent.

I mean seriously...

2019.04.01-18.40.png

1 hour ago, Strider890 said:

Who is joking with us?Is this some kind of conspiracy?

I don't get it. ????

Yes, this is absolutely stupid and will  never get fixed.

Played Battlefield 5 and Warhammer: Vermintide for a while. They seem fine. No flickering or any unusual artifacting.

Again, just wondering... Since I have problems mostly with Ubisoft games (Division 2, AC Odyssey, AC3 remaster), could this be related to Uplay platform or maybe even Denuvo?

Also, how about page file? Does it have impact on games? What size have you set? 

There's no such thing as "locked RAM". Did he mean XMP profiles? I have that enabled already.

But I havent touched my BIOS ever since I first got the copmuter.

On 4/1/2019 at 11:13 PM, Strider890 said:

FPS and third person games have the problem with textures but RPG games don't have this problem.

That I don't believe.

For me the problem was with every single game.

Of course, in 2D games like "Pillars of Eternity" it's harder to see....

So far I have the issue in GTA V, Watch Dogs and AC 3 (original). DOOM looks good. Older games such as Borderlands 2, Half Life 2 and GRID also look good.

This is supposed to be 8x MSAA in Watch Dogs xD :

2019.04.01-19.25.png

I was one of the people that initially reported this issue back on the nvidia forums, 4 years ago. Sadly still no fix and my system is entirely up to date lol (5th PC since then).

You learn to live with it though.

7800x3d - RTX 4090 FE - 64GB-6000C30 - 2x2TB 990 Pro - 4K 144HZ

PCPP: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/mdRcqR