Upgrading my haswell setup

Hey!

So I've searched around for a skylake upgrade and i came down with these parts if anyone has any tips how to same some money please comment.

Upgrade Parts:

Motherboard:Gigabyte z170-hd3p

CPU:i5 6600k

RAM:HyperX Fury 16Gb kit 2400mhz

CPU cooler:hyperx evo 212

--------------------------------------

total cost around 470€

You don't need to waste money like that.

Haswell is not even old yet.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

What exactly are you upgrading from?  Haswell can run the whole gamut from some low-end Celeron single core to the i7-4790k. 

11 minutes ago, AlenMustang said:

Hey!

So I've searched around for a skylake upgrade and i came down with these parts if anyone has any tips how to same some money please comment.

Upgrade Parts:

Motherboard:Gigabyte z170-hd3p

CPU:i5 6600k

RAM:HyperX Fury 16Gb kit 2400mhz

CPU cooler:hyperx evo 212

--------------------------------------

total cost around 470€

What Haswell hardware do you have now? Unless you're sitting on a G3258 or something, there's really no reason to convert your existing rig to Skylake.

Aerocool DS are the best fans you've never tried.

2 minutes ago, aisle9 said:

What Haswell hardware do you have now? Unless you're sitting on a G3258 or something, there's really no reason to convert your existing rig to Skylake.

I HAVE AN I3 4340 and a gtx 970

Just now, AlenMustang said:

Then just buy something like a 4690k or 4790k.

There isn't really a performance difference.

1 minute ago, AlenMustang said:

and its not even haswell sry for the wrong title xD

Know anyone you could unload that motherboard+CPU+RAM onto?  If you can get rid of it at a reasonable price, then you can get into a Skylake i7.  But if you take a huge loss on the mobo and the RAM compared to newer stuff, then you may as well keep it and just upgrade the CPU to an i7-4790k. 

1 minute ago, AlenMustang said:

and its not even haswell sry for the wrong title

Looks 4th-generation Core I-Series to me, ie: Haswell. 

Just now, AlenMustang said:

How much would an i5-4690 run you? If you already have a Z motherboard, how about a 4690K? Your performance would be more or less indistinguishable from the 6600K, but you wouldn't have to invest in a new motherboard. Hell, a Xeon E3 1231V3 may well outperform the 6600K as games become more CPU-bound.

If you don't have a Z motherboard already and you want to overclock, yeah, might as well go Skylake, but if you're not dead-set on overclocking you're perfectly fine for years to come if you pick up a Haswell i5, Xeon or i7. I'm planning on running my 4790K for four or five years, just like I ran the i7-920 I had before it for six before finally upgrading. Even today, the i7-920 is a capable gaming CPU, so that should say something about Haswell's longevity ;)

Aerocool DS are the best fans you've never tried.