running two different 980Ti's in SLI?

ttoks

So with the 1080 coming out, i'm noticing alot of secondhand 980Ti's coming onto the market for pretty cheep (under $400 AUD in alot of cases).

I'm thinking about putting another in my gaming/folding PC, mostly for folding PPD as i only have a 1080P monitor atm, having two 980Ti's won't make alot of difference, and still isn't enough to run 4k consistantly over 60 hz anyway.

Question is, will i run into any problems running two different brand 980 Ti's together, I currently have an MSI 6G 980Ti, i've found an Asus Strix 980 Ti locally, the guy's askinf $350 AUD for it (considering that before the 1080's relese most 980ti's were $1000+ GPU's here in aus, that's pretty good), will running the two together cause any problems.

Cheer's all.

14 minutes ago, Mi26 said:

not it would not cause any problem

My OCD would beg to differ

All joking aside they will be completely SLI compatible with one another. There are also other ways to run a multi GPU setup other than SLI. Don't ask me how, I don't really know much about those other ways, but they do exist, and they may be worth looking into depending on what you want to be doing. Sometimes you can even set them up to run independently and do different things simultaneously.

hmm interesting, i do know there are way's to run two (or more) GPU's other then SLI, and for F&H i don't need them to run in SLI anyway, but i dont know anything about it either, but since i only need 1 980Ti for gaming, maybe it would be possible to set it up so one GPU is constantly folding, while the other run's my system and games, hmm, at the moment i pause folding to run games, perhaps i can set it up so that one GPU fold's 24/7, while ther other in a different F&H client only fold's when the PC in idling maybe?

thanks, that answers my question, my OCD won't object once i close the PC case :) but it will be screaming at me while installing the second card.

Yeah I was kind of thinking the same thing. I know you can do things like set up a GPU as a PhysX only card. and it will sit around and do pretty much nothing until there are PhysX commands to do. I'm also fairly certain (although I've never done this myself) that there are ways to make rendering programs run almost solely on the GPU CUDA's. I assume there would be something similar to that for what you're looking for. Again, I don't really know of anything, but its worth investigating if that is the sort of thing you're looking for.