MasterCase5 MOD: Project TRON

Deblow
Go to solution Solved by TheCamba,
13 hours ago, Deblow said:

-snip-

Dang that is looking fine!

Really loving this, and like I said before I think the Mastercase really lends itself nicely to the tron theme!

That EL lighting looks great. Just wondering though did you have any problems with coil whine from the transformers, last time I delved into EL lighting I ran into problem with noisy units and unfortunately wasn't about to source ones that were silent. 

6 hours ago, W-L said:

That EL lighting looks great. Just wondering though did you have any problems with coil whine from the transformers, last time I delved into EL lighting I ran into problem with noisy units and unfortunately wasn't about to source ones that were silent. 

Maybe they were cheap unites? 

ASU

2 hours ago, Hackentosher said:

Very possible since I just got a random selection, however talking to others in the industry that looked through EL lighting they weren't able to find a good source without excessive noise which was why I was curious if those units were good. 

36 minutes ago, W-L said:

Very possible since I just got a random selection, however talking to others in the industry that looked through EL lighting they weren't able to find a good source without excessive noise which was why I was curious if those units were good. 

I know adafruit carries them, but I have no idea if they're any good. 

ASU

On 8/23/2016 at 0:29 AM, Deblow said:

Looking good :)

I still see some orange skin :/  

THOR D3SK V2,Asus Maximus VII Hero  ,INTEL4790K,CorsairHX1000i,ASUSR.O.G MATRIX PLATINUM R9 280X  CROSSFIRE,SAMSUNGSSD840 pro RAID0Corsair Force LX 120Gb RAID0,WD 2Tb Black Edition,CORSAIR Dominator Platinum16GB, CUSTOM WATERCOOLED

CUSTOM BUILD 2014

On 9/20/2016 at 0:35 AM, Str8f4c3 said:

Really loving this, and like I said before I think the Mastercase really lends itself nicely to the tron theme!

Thanks, yeah its a great shape for it

On 9/20/2016 at 0:44 AM, _TechPuppet_ said:

Looks very sleek, great job.

Thanks mate

On 9/20/2016 at 7:57 AM, W-L said:

I know my cheap china ones are giving some noise but cant recall any problem with the ones im using on this build, cant test atm due to build stage, but as this has been mentioned before, I will update you and maybe do a quick vid if they give any noise worth noting.

On 9/20/2016 at 2:33 PM, Hackentosher said:

possible, also could be the load maybe, will report back asap.

22 hours ago, jojoharalds said:

I still see some orange skin :/  

lol, skin? if  you see any peal point it out because I will blast it again :D
Just done a white version, that was a quick build so didn't worry about the peal from the start, but i just started sanding again tonight to remove the peal lol 

Photos be next weekend hopefully 

As im awaiting some more parts for the main Tron build I've been working on a couple of things 
and due to the time needed for the paint to dry im moving between the main build, Tron (black) and
my second mod, Tron 2.0 (white).

I wont be doing a full build log for the 2nd Tron case mod but I will add a couple of photos to this log.

As I mentioned before, not to happy with the original PSU cover I did with clear plexi so I ordered some more
white and did the cover again, much better now for the reflections im wanting to capture.

01_zps9w4ttp6c.jpg

Like with the sound card, added some EL lightning to the RAD.

02_zpsgfvvuda6.jpg

Sticking with the EL, time to get the Tron disc painted to better match the case and the original look of the disc.
I really enjoyed this part and im very happy with the result.

03_zpsucz30oua.jpg

04_zpsfqy7ysrv.jpg

05_zpslem98waa.jpg

After some very careful and painfully slow masking the disc is almost completed, painted with water-based black so as not to damage the plastic coating.

06_zpsxe5wbpri.jpg

07_zpsiu9vdpti.jpg

here's some pics of the Tron 2.0 mod, all the paintwork is completed and im now working in the lighting.

20160930_143610_zpsdx1mttdp.jpg
20160930_143726_zps1qewxm4g.jpg
20160930_191855_zpsfi0lgamh.jpg
20160930_183524_zpsvyzqo7of.jpg

Dang. That looks fantastic.

Gamma v2.2 | i7 6700k @ 4.6ghz| Dark Rock TF | ASRock Z170 OC Formula | G-SKILL TridentZ Royal 2x16Gb 3200mhz | MSI GTX 1070 Ti Titanium | Sandisk 120Gb SSD | WD Black 1Tb HDD | Corsair RMx 850w | Corsair Spec Alpha | MSI Optix G27C2/2x19" monitors/34" Insignia tv

Spoiler

Secondary rig status: Blendin Blandin | Xeon E5 2670 E3 ES | Noctua L12s | ASRock X99 OC Formula | 48Gb Ram Smoothie | EVGA 980ti Superclocked+ | ADATA SU800 | SFFTime P-Atx | 

23 hours ago, mr.squishy said:

Dang. That looks fantastic.

Thanks mate :D

White one is completed now, will add some photos when i next update the log.

subbed... looks great, can't wait to see the final build :)

Please quote my post, or put @paddy-stone if you want me to respond to you.

Spoiler
  • PCs:- 
  • Main PC build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/2K6Q7X
  • ASUS x53e  - i7 2670QM / Sony BD writer x8 / Win 10, Elemetary OS, Ubuntu/ Samsung 830 SSD
  • Lenovo G50 - 8Gb RAM - Samsung 860 Evo 250GB SSD - DVD writer
  •  
  • Displays:-
  • Philips 55 OLED 754 model
  • Panasonic 55" 4k TV
  • LG 29" Ultrawide
  • Philips 24" 1080p monitor as backup
  •  
  • Storage/NAS/Servers:-
  • ESXI/test build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/4wyR9G
  • Main Server https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/3Qftyk
  • Backup server - HP Proliant Gen 8 4 bay NAS running FreeNAS ZFS striped 3x3TiB WD reds
  • HP ProLiant G6 Server SE316M1 Twin Hex Core Intel Xeon E5645 2.40GHz 48GB RAM
  •  
  • Gaming/Tablets etc:-
  • Xbox One S 500GB + 2TB HDD
  • PS4
  • Nvidia Shield TV
  • Xiaomi/Pocafone F2 pro 8GB/256GB
  • Xiaomi Redmi Note 4

• Unused Hardware currently :-
  • 4670K MSI mobo 16GB ram
  • i7 6700K  b250 mobo
  • Zotac GTX 1060 6GB Amp! edition
  • Zotac GTX 1050 mini

3 hours ago, paddy-stone said:

subbed... looks great, can't wait to see the final build :)

Thanks mate, the white one is completed, black one will follow later as im still waiting for some bits before I can make anymore progress :(
will upload some Tron 2.0 pics with the next update to the main log..

For the side panel i'm going with one that's airbrushed and also doing a plain one painted the same as the rest of the case.

I'm doing the airbrushing in 3 stages, first the panel was painted the same as all the case but then sanded down ready 
for the shadows and base colours, protected again with some clear coat and then stage 2, now I have clear coated all 
the design and will be waiting for that to harden before doing the highlights and fine details followed by a final protective 
clear coat.

Some parts of the design will hopefully have a matte look where others will be a nice mirror/gloss finish 
to help him pop-out from the back background.  

09_zps7iyeqarb.jpg

10_zpsacjmrhg2.jpg

11_zps6r2u4qca.jpg

12_zpsppyfwjgg.jpg

13_zpsmbjxycdh.jpg

This might look a bit crap at the moment but should look great when completed, I like to try use as many skills as I can when 
doing my builds, this is something I've never attempted before so i'm learning as I go along :D

As promised, here are some pics of the smaller project I just completed "Tron 2.0" this was just a case mod for now, using the
CoolerMaster MasterCase 3 Pro.
No log for this one, it was a very quick job with only the paint dry times taking most of that time up.

Done in white with slightly thicker EL wires and the same Mirror finish paint but this time in white.
I wont post lots of photos on here but you can find all the other on my facebook page if you need.

Thanks to elpanelandtape.co.uk and CoolerMaster UK for providing most of the bits needed for this one. 

DSC_3335_zpsxwjepmtp.jpg

DSC_3347_zpsmprppspv.jpg

DSC_3321_zpsskudppnp.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Side panel completed, will get some daylight shots done once we get some sun here lol

DSC_3432a_zpsyiyfpb0a.jpg

Used some of the same style for my Mini mod, just for the fun of it, a quick build as im on a bit
of a break from the main build.

Fitted with a fully working Raspberry pi.
1.2GHz 64-bit quad-core ARMv8 CPU
802.11n Wireless LAN
Bluetooth 4.1
Bluetooth Low Energy (BLE)
1GB RAM
4 USB ports
40 GPIO pins
Full HDMI port
Ethernet port
Combined 3.5mm audio jack and composite video
Camera interface (CSI)
Display interface (DSI)
Micro SD card slot
VideoCore IV 3D graphics core
PSU - 5v 2a :)

Not bad for the size, fits well with my collection of 1:6 scale :D
DSC_3362a_zpskemoo3kl.jpg

On 10/28/2016 at 0:16 AM, DanielWGK said:

The full size is awesome but the 6th scale is amazing.

Thank you mate. EL wire was very hard to get "good" on the mini, not perfect but glad it worked out in the end :D

38 minutes ago, Deblow said:

Thank you mate. EL wire was very hard to get "good" on the mini, not perfect but glad it worked out in the end :D

You have an absurd amount of talent, thanks for taking the time to share it with us!

Gamma v2.2 | i7 6700k @ 4.6ghz| Dark Rock TF | ASRock Z170 OC Formula | G-SKILL TridentZ Royal 2x16Gb 3200mhz | MSI GTX 1070 Ti Titanium | Sandisk 120Gb SSD | WD Black 1Tb HDD | Corsair RMx 850w | Corsair Spec Alpha | MSI Optix G27C2/2x19" monitors/34" Insignia tv

Spoiler

Secondary rig status: Blendin Blandin | Xeon E5 2670 E3 ES | Noctua L12s | ASRock X99 OC Formula | 48Gb Ram Smoothie | EVGA 980ti Superclocked+ | ADATA SU800 | SFFTime P-Atx | 

• 1 month later...
On 10/31/2016 at 10:56 AM, mr.squishy said:

You have an absurd amount of talent, thanks for taking the time to share it with us!

Sorry for the late reply, thank you mate, and not a problem for me its my love in life :) 

Today has been a good day,they say good things come to those that wait :D

The final component for the Tron build has arrived, the sexy Nvidia GTX1080 Founders Edition GPU.

Next steps are, fit the GPU water block and start working on the wiring and plumbing so I can see what space I have and add some final touches.

DSC_3568a_zpsv2src3wa.jpg

DSC_3567a_zpsvqt0z3jf.jpg

DSC_3566a_zpsn21pjipu.jpg

DSC_3559a_zpsxhtprut7.jpg

DSC_3558a_zpstydm805y.jpg

The water block has now been fitted to the 1080 along with the backplate I painted earlier in the log.
Fitting on the side still needs to be painted white.

20161201_224944_zpsjldj5drp.jpg

Plenty of spare screws and pads came with the EK FC1080 GTX, it's been one of the easiest blocks to fit.

20161201_231029_zps1rxmfvsv.jpg

20161201_235221_zpsorma74cp.jpg

20161201_235231_zpsekmax218.jpg

20161202_192233_zpsnhaqrpp8.jpg

I'm now working on the cable covers for the MB power sockets and GPU, you will see in the last photo a small square pencil outline where the cable along with the cover will be going once cut.
Plan is to do away with cable sleeving as this is a Tron build and keep it as clean as possible with zero wires visible. 

• 3 weeks later...

Last part of the water block painted to blend better with the other parts, until the lighting is completed I'm not sure if the screws 
I left black on a couple of bits will stay black or if I will change them to white/blue.

20161202_192629_zpshajwr2vf.jpg

20161210_003934_zpsvqnzlujp.jpg

Once I got the GPU and fitted the waterblock I could start to plan the wiring and tubing, one important part of the build I wanted to happen was zero wires visible
for a very clean look and to keep in line with the Tron theme. 

The biggest thing I had to cover was the main motherboard PSU socket and wires, made one by cutting and bending some clear acrylic followed
by some white wrap.

20161207_164201_zpspw3n3pyh.jpg

Taped together until the glue was set, used some clear just encase I decide to have the cover lit.

20161207_165717_zpsx10otswu.jpg

20161210_195500_zpsq12pi62j.jpg

The next ugly wire in need of a cover was the GPU PCI-E.

20161206_202130_zps6ktakc8i.jpg

20161207_103407_zpsshfnvgun.jpg

20161207_110505_zpsvvw6hzav.jpg

On to my first time with PETG hard tube, the one im using for this build is EK-HD PETG 2/16mm Tube.

It's a lot more easy to work with (cutting and bending) than the normal acrylic hard tube and the only notable difference is slightly less shine
when I have them side by side.

20161210_200054_zpswktsdwq1.jpg

20161213_134908_zpslw6g5cht.jpg

20161214_181431_zpsmk3cjo8b.jpg

20161213_135818_zpsvr53kdqp.jpg

20161214_184310_zpsuujzaww0.jpg

Didn't order enough tube  so until the extra tube arrives I moved on to the wiring and switches, only having 2 main switches for the Tron lighting, EL Tape / EL Wire, the other parts will by remote only. 

I did try with some ring light switches as I have used on a couple of other builds, but the light just didn't look that great with the Tron design so went with plan switches. 

20161219_175249_zpsxn3pv55p.jpg

20161219_180227_zpsq0nrcyjj.jpg

20161219_175317_zpsf3keqyvl.jpg

The switches can be placed/move to any of the 2x bays at the top of the case, for now there in the top slot.

The 2 big inverters are from EL Wire&tape AKA wirecraft, the small one if from China, apart from the size you can also feel the deference in quality.
Switches are now connected to the inverters and working a treat. 

Now I just have to add the last tube, fill with water to check all is well then play with the water colours I got from EK, and some other finaly touches.
Also my good freind Marco at F3nix Mods is cutting me some last minuet logos. Thank you mate 

So very soon after the Christmas break the project should be completed, I'm looking forward to testing out the 1080 mostly, especially with some VR games.

Have A Great Christmas & Fantastic New Year!

Rob (deblow) Deluce

3 hours ago, Deblow said:

So very soon after the Christmas break the project should be completed, I'm looking forward to testing out the 1080 mostly, especially with some VR games.

Have A Great Christmas & Fantastic New Year!

Rob (deblow) Deluce

Well done, this is coming along nicely... can't wait to see the final build all up and working. Maybe a video?

I wouldn't have been able to wait about testing the 1080, that would have been thrown in a working PC and tested nicely :D

Happy Christmas to you too, hope you have a good one.

Please quote my post, or put @paddy-stone if you want me to respond to you.

Spoiler
  • PCs:- 
  • Main PC build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/2K6Q7X
  • ASUS x53e  - i7 2670QM / Sony BD writer x8 / Win 10, Elemetary OS, Ubuntu/ Samsung 830 SSD
  • Lenovo G50 - 8Gb RAM - Samsung 860 Evo 250GB SSD - DVD writer
  •  
  • Displays:-
  • Philips 55 OLED 754 model
  • Panasonic 55" 4k TV
  • LG 29" Ultrawide
  • Philips 24" 1080p monitor as backup
  •  
  • Storage/NAS/Servers:-
  • ESXI/test build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/4wyR9G
  • Main Server https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/3Qftyk
  • Backup server - HP Proliant Gen 8 4 bay NAS running FreeNAS ZFS striped 3x3TiB WD reds
  • HP ProLiant G6 Server SE316M1 Twin Hex Core Intel Xeon E5645 2.40GHz 48GB RAM
  •  
  • Gaming/Tablets etc:-
  • Xbox One S 500GB + 2TB HDD
  • PS4
  • Nvidia Shield TV
  • Xiaomi/Pocafone F2 pro 8GB/256GB
  • Xiaomi Redmi Note 4

• Unused Hardware currently :-
  • 4670K MSI mobo 16GB ram
  • i7 6700K  b250 mobo
  • Zotac GTX 1060 6GB Amp! edition
  • Zotac GTX 1050 mini