Deblow
Go to solution Solved by TheCamba,
13 hours ago, Deblow said:

-snip-

Dang that is looking fine!

On 8/23/2016 at 0:31 PM, iFreilicht said:

Looks amazing already, I'm on board!

More updates over the weekend.

Ok im back to work on the build after having a great weekend at the i58 event with some fellow modders and friends.

I've been doing bits here and there on the case as I'm waiting for painted parts to harden.

The base of the case is where I'll be having the pump, I decided to cut in to the PSU cover rather than
totally removing it as it will help keep the case strong and be a good support for the pump and other bits.

01_zpselagu660.jpg

02_zpsihar0ovw.jpg

I made some templates for the bottom and side that will be used to make some covers out of plexi, this will also be painted or wrapped in white later down the line.

03_zpsvr30bz4s.jpg

04_zps9my29l3y.jpg

Heres the panel cut to shape, all that's needed for now is a hole for the pump to sit in, some other cuts will be made after testing the layout.

05_zpstyg1tsns.jpg

06_zpsffahopfl.jpg

07_zpse1l05zbm.jpg

Now for the motherboard, its originally white, red and silver.
I removed all the parts I wanted to paint and covered the red with some white wrap, the white did't match good enough so I went all out and painted the parts white. 

08_zpsgymzz7kq.jpg

09_zps52udonwh.jpg

I wont be using the whole southbridge cover, but I've kept the G1 silver part should I decide to use it somewhere later.

10_zpser4jgd1v.jpg

11_zpscpfw6m3d.jpg

The motherboard is looking nice and clean, the white should look great with the light blue lighting once completed.
I've also painted the RAM and some other parts like the EK waterblock shown in the photo below.
I will get some more photos of them and the other parts posted in the next update. 

12_zps45udkut9.jpg

All the internal components and fittings are now painted, might add some more colour and or logos to them later in the build.
Tron is very polished and simple yet effective, so I want to keep this as clean as I can.

Here are some closer shots of the before and after CPU block.
01_zpstrerfr47.jpg
02_zpslldcqbty.jpg
03_zpsgptzwyqf.jpg

This is the backplate for the  GTX1080 GPU, no white available so went ahead and painted a black one.
I will be adding something extra to this later.
04_zpsjpbsb1bs.jpg
05_zpsm0aqsnmt.jpg

Sound Cards repainted white with some added blue.
This wont really be seen as the card faces down, but I still wanted to have it matching and hopefully the
reflection will show once the bottom panel is added.
06_zpsidfkhizv.jpg
07_zpse4zkfdc6.jpg
08_zpsgt2w36gx.jpg
09_zpsw9umsymr.jpg
10_zpszr5znerq.jpg
11_zpsminjwtlt.jpg
12_zpsplq3lhzp.jpg
13_zpsdump21em.jpg

For the pump I just needed to paint the rubber padding and the metal bottom.
14_zpsijj6umhs.jpg
15_zpsos7ltfti.jpg
16_zpsqkumfnne.jpg

Here's the RAD, I think it looks great in white.
Wont be needing to paint the fans for this RAD as they will be hidden on the other side.
17_zpsbtnpvijr.jpg

This is the fans for the double RAD going on the top, as it will be seen on the inside of the case I painted them.
18_zpsvstdzvgm.jpg
19_zpsntfvohmp.jpg
20_zpsjxrnafj8.jpg

The most part of the internal layout.
Some painted with acrylic and plasti-dip for the rest.

20160829_165426_zpsspzx7fxx.jpg

I've made some covers for the bottom, sides and back that will all be painted white or wrapped once the wiring is done.
20160830_163525_zps4boebulk.jpg

Back-plate for the sound card in place, used some velcro to hold it down as I will be needing to mess with it later in the build, its also a bit more tidy than using the screws on the card to hold it.

01_zps73zvuxzl.jpg

got this cutter some years back for my model making, helps add some detail to the plastic, also very useful for cutting the plexi :D

02_zpsevxvzp6q.jpg

03_zpsgh9czqz0.jpg

Bit wonky as it's not fastened in place just yet..
04_zpsps5u8of2.jpg
05_zpskjyiv5vt.jpg

Same again for the back cover.
06_zpsfe0sxwbj.jpg
07_zpsl8al1oxl.jpg
08_zpstity0bza.jpg
09_zpskqtk2ejy.jpg

Ordered some more white plexi, so most the parts will be re-cut using the old ones as a template.

10_zpsspg4obp2.jpg

After some testing I decided to have the RAD facing the standard way rather than upside down.
Just didn't have the room I wanted at the top for all the pipe and fittings.

11_zpshgk9irha.jpg

This has been the best part of the build so far, the results from the extensive paint coats, sanding, buffing and polishing have paid off, by far the best paint finish I've achieved with gloss.

This has taken weeks, not a easy task especially with the sharp edged all over the panels making it very easy to take the paint of all the way down to the primer if not do perfect.

This is the result after the gloss had been put down.
Plenty of orange peal and although it looks shiny I cant stand the peal.

01_zpsx2eb5agh.jpg

So after the couple of weeks painting then sanding I got the gloss down and had to wait a week or so for the gloss to harden, then I carefully sanded down the gloss to get the surface as smooth as possible with paper.

04_zps2uhkafqs.jpg

my hands looked like I had been sat in the bath for 2 hours lol

03_zpshqixtc4b.jpg

Because I'm so happy with the result I will show you all a good handful of photos.
Hope you like the result as much as myself and the next update will be installing some of the EL bits.

12_zpsammnmvol.jpg
09_zpsrhfmmxzd.jpg
10_zpsegidh8iv.jpg
08_zpsnes5uvxu.jpg
05_zps9y7m7n0u.jpg

Looks nice. Not a fan of gloss on computer parts but thats a really good job you did on the case.

Blarg

14 hours ago, wolfgang said:

Looks nice. Not a fan of gloss on computer parts but thats a really good job you did on the case.

Thank you mate. Yeah same here when it comes to gloss, I always go with semi or matte, but for the Tron to work it had to be gloss.
Bit of practice for my next car touch up mission lol

Started carefully placing the EL wire and some tapes, this was tricky, glued my fingers to the wire a couple of times lol

20160907_200511_zpscbyfbg4t.jpg

20160906_204813_zps2ngfgidl.jpg

Put down some tape on the none flat parts for some protections and as a guideline. 

20160905_230419_zpsnmydrwyk.jpg
20160906_213445_zpsgacox64m.jpg
20160904_193349_zpspu39uzz2.jpg
20160904_193344_zpsjvsmsqrq.jpg

Top is done, sides and front still need some more work doing.

20160907_220029_zpskxvqpvnx.jpg
20160907_220033_zpseduerqyb.jpg

Hopefully you now have a better idea of the final look im going for with the build :)

That looks so good! Just never turn on your roomlights so you can appreciate the look of these gorgeous contours :) 

Fanboys, on both sides, are quite embarrassing. How can one be a "fan" of a company? A companies only goal is to make a profit off you. Instead of being a smart consumer and base your purchase decision on the best price / performance you choose to dick yourself over by only considering brand X. Idiotic loss to be honest.

~Quibiss

10 hours ago, SQZY98 said:

That looks so good! Just never turn on your roomlights so you can appreciate the look of these gorgeous contours :) 

lol, Im always working in low light tbh :D
It light very good in daylight though, the photos was taken with the lightning at about 70% brightness as there on battery until i sort the PSU.

So how do EL wires work exactly, do you just pass a current through them? Can you cut them at any point along the line? Can you solder them to normal wire?

Build looking good BTW :)

Check out my YouTube channel here and don't forget to subscribe :D

Current build: Project Athena

13 hours ago, nmil said:

So how do EL wires work exactly, do you just pass a current through them? Can you cut them at any point along the line? Can you solder them to normal wire?

Build looking good BTW :)

Thanks mate.
Yeah, but for the PC you will need a 12v inverter, you can cut it, bend it a bit and if its good quality you should not lose brightness on the bends.
you can join them with a good soldering iron, but cutting and joining is tricky, the wire is very thin.