Hows my $1000~ build?

http://pcpartpicker.com/user/Rangerlunis/saved/DGXmP6

PLEASE NOTE: The link for the motherboard is wrong, I could not get pcpartpicker to correctly link to the amazon page, nor could I find the exact motherboard on their list. The exact motherboard is B150M MORTAR ARTIC, you can find it in the options on the amazon page.

Building a PC for a friend in the ~$1000 range. This PC would be used for standard 1080p gaming and photoshop as said friend is a artist. I added a fully modular PSU as they've told me they'd be interested in custom sleeving. I figured four cores with hyperthreading and 16 gigs of ram would make Photoshop perform very well. They may or may not do SOME video editing, but I figure that these specs will allow him to do as much as he needs to, I don't believe he'd be rendering in 4k or anything. 

The whole build is aiming to be a arctic winter theme, with blue led strips along the window panel. 

Let me know what you think :)

-EDIT- 

Here is the new list as it is right now, currently it is actually just under $1000! :

Currently, a gtx 1060 is listed, but my friend is interested in swapping it for a RX480 when one with more neutral color design and backplate becomes available like the Sapphire Nitro.

Thanks to everyone on the suggestions for a locked i5 and a 1060 or RX480! 

I5s don't have hyperthreading. Great build tho.

I5 4440//8gb Corsair Vengeance ddr3//Sapphire Radeon r9 380 4gb//ASUS h81m-plus//WD caviar blue 1tb//Cooler Master N200//Cooler Master G500

Just now, thebrownieguy said:

I5s don't have hyperthreading. Great build tho.

Did not know that, and thank you :) 4 cores would still do good for photoshop and light video editing though right?

5 minutes ago, RangerLunis said:

Did not know that, and thank you :) 4 cores would still do good for photoshop and light video editing though right?

Yeah, the i5 will perform great. Maybe you can change the gpu to a 1060 like nskcaj said? Would make a nice upgrade, but the pc is also great as is. The choice is yours!

I5 4440//8gb Corsair Vengeance ddr3//Sapphire Radeon r9 380 4gb//ASUS h81m-plus//WD caviar blue 1tb//Cooler Master N200//Cooler Master G500

Just now, thebrownieguy said:

Yeah, the i5 will perform great. Maybe you cab change the gpu to a 1060 like nskcaj said? Would make a nice upgrade, but the pc is also great as is. The choice is yours!

Yeah I decided to, took a look at 1060 prices again, surprisingly lower than then the 970.

1.i5's don't have Hyperthreading

2.I would get a i7 for your friend and it would make a big difference

3.Get a GTX 1060,not that much more expensive,performs like a GTX 980

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($238.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
CPU Cooler: CRYORIG H7 49.0 CFM CPU Cooler  ($43.53 @ Amazon) 
Memory: Crucial Ballistix Sport LT 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR4-2400 Memory  ($74.99 @ Newegg) 
Storage: OCZ TRION 150 480GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($109.88 @ OutletPC) 
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1060 6GB G1 Gaming Video Card  ($289.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Case: Phanteks ECLIPSE P400S ATX Mid Tower Case  ($105.20 @ Amazon) 
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA G2 550W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($79.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Other: MSI Computer Gaming Intel B150 LGA 1151 DDR4 USB 3.1 Micro ATX Motherboard (B150M MORTAR ARCTIC) ($106.19)
Total: $1048.76
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-08-05 17:12 EDT-0400

Just now, catzambia said:

That board doesn't support overclocking, so I would save 40 bucks and get a locked i5

Thanks for the heads up. He won't be doing overclocking so yeah thank you for this.

1 minute ago, RangerLunis said:

Thanks for the heads up. He won't be doing overclocking so yeah thank you for this.

Save that money and get a i7,would make a big difference for your friend,and a GTX 1060,not much more expensive while being like a GTX 980

Just now, keNNySOC said:

Save that money and get a i7,would make a big difference for your friend,and a GTX 1060,not much more expensive while being like a GTX 980

Will consider, though it would break the budget for them. Maybe i'll ask if they want to wait a bit longer and try for a i7, but yeah thanks.

13 minutes ago, RangerLunis said:

PLEASE NOTE: The link for the motherboard is wrong, I could not get pcpartpicker to correctly link to the amazon page, nor could I find the exact motherboard on their list. The exact motherboard is B150M MORTAR ARTIC, you can find it in the options on the amazon page.

Building a PC for a friend in the ~$1000 range. This PC would be used for standard 1080p gaming and photoshop as said friend is a artist. I added a fully modular PSU as they've told me they'd be interested in custom sleeving. I figured four cores with hyperthreading and 16 gigs of ram would make Photoshop perform very well. They may or may not do SOME video editing, but I figure that these specs will allow him to do as much as he needs to, I don't believe he'd be rendering in 4k or anything. 

The whole build is aiming to be a arctic winter theme, with blue led strips along the window panel. 

Let me know what you think :)

Chang the GPU for the 480/1060

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | CPU Cooler: Stock AMD Cooler | Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX B550-F GAMING (WI-FI) | RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 CL16 | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB Zotac Mini | Case: K280 Case | PSU: Cooler Master B600 Power supply | SSD: 1TB  | HDDs: 1x 250GB & 1x 1TB WD Blue | Monitors: 24" Acer S240HLBID + 24" Samsung  | OS: Win 10 Pro

Audio: Behringer Q802USB Xenyx 8 Input Mixer |  U-PHORIA UMC204HD | Behringer XM8500 Dynamic Cardioid Vocal Microphone | Sound Blaster Audigy Fx PCI-E card.

Home Lab:  Lenovo ThinkCenter M82 ESXi 6.7 | Lenovo M93 Tiny Exchange 2019 | TP-LINK TL-SG1024D 24-Port Gigabit | Cisco ASA 5506 firewall  | Cisco Catalyst 3750 Gigabit Switch | Cisco 2960C-LL | HP MicroServer G8 NAS | Custom built SCCM Server.

5 minutes ago, keNNySOC said:

It wouldn't make a huge difference, in gaming or even video editing, unless he is doing really heavy video editing. For gaming and light video editing an i7 makes no sense, especially when matching it with a rx 480 level gpu.

OP, get a locked i5

LTT's Fastest 9800gt

LTT Forum Beginners Guide

It wouldn't make a huge difference, in gaming or even video editing, unless he is doing really heavy video editing. For gaming and light video editing an i7 makes no sense, especially when matching it with a rx 480 level gpu.

OP, get a locked i5

agreed :P

i'd go for a 480 because if he want to he can upgrade to a crossfire configuration later

PC: CPU:Intel Xeon E3-1230 v5   Motherboard:Asus E3 Pro Gaming v5   GPU: Sapphire RX480 

Surface Pro 3 258GB;  8GB RAM

Just now, Kraxelaxel said:

i'd go for a 480 because if he want to he can upgrade to a crossfire configuration later

Very true, i'll talk it over with him, but for now i'll keep the 1060 listed.

1 minute ago, Kraxelaxel said:

He could also get another 970 or 1060 later and use DX12's multi gpu stuff, but I agree, definitely go RX 480, because it handily beats both the 970 and 1060 in DX12 and vulkan.

LTT's Fastest 9800gt

He could also get another 970 or 1060 later and use DX12's multi gpu stuff, but I agree, definitely go RX 480, because it handily beats both the 970 and 1060 in DX12 and vulkan.

Yeah unfortunately the mobo choice does not support sli ;p but I agree and again will definitely pass all this information over to them. 

Just now, RangerLunis said:

Yeah unfortunately the mobo choice does not support sli ;p but I agree and again will definitely pass all this information over to them. 

Yeah, and that's why I mentioned DX12, because it can use multiple gpus, with no need for motherboard support for SLI or CFX

LTT's Fastest 9800gt

Yeah, and that's why I mentioned DX12, because it can use multiple gpus, with no need for motherboard support for SLI or CFX

Really now? I didn't know this at all. Thanks I will definitely keep that in mind for the future when DX12 is more supported.

14 minutes ago, catzambia said:

OP, get a locked i5

In gaming it will,there is a difference in minimal fps between a i7 and i5,this test was done by @App4that , In video editing it does make a difference

19 minutes ago, catzambia said:

OP, get a locked i5

Why do we still have this lie being posted on this forum? The i7 makes a big difference, do you think people spend money on them for the looks? All that i7 bling?

Come on...

If anyone asks you never saw me.

Just now, keNNySOC said:

In gaming it will,there is a difference in minimal fps between a i7 and i5,this test was done by @App4that , In video editing it does make a difference

Note, I said LIGHT video editing of COURSE if he were doing loads of heavy video editing he would be better off with an i7, duh.

And yes there will be a difference in minimums measured by fraps, but in real world gameplay, these dips do not happen often at all and are often not noticeable. And what videocard were they tested with in gaming? Because with an RX 480 the gpu will be the bottleneck. Also, when factoring in the price difference, i7's make no sense, UNLESS OF COURSE YOU ARE DOING HEAVY VIDEO EDITING. As I said before.

LTT's Fastest 9800gt