Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Cyfern

GTX 1060 or RX 480

Recommended Posts

Posted · Original PosterOP

Hello!

 

I've seen the benchmarks and the Nvidia GTX 1060 outperforms the RX 480 at pretty much every game.

However, with DirectX 12 and vulkan the 480 is pretty much evenly matched, if not slightly better.

So, which one would you get? Is DX12 gonna become the standard anytime soon? Is it true that Nvidia's GPUs become obsolete faster than AMD's due to a lack of driver updated for them?

I need whatever one I get to last me a while so I obviously want the best option for the future.

These are the cards in question:

http://www.asus.com/us/Compare/Product.aspx?P_ID=FEFh1zLUB6OEcm1o

http://www.asus.com/us/Compare/Product.aspx?P_ID=gdO3Gfjah8uWeavq

(Yes, I like ASUS :P)

 

Thanks for the help!

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Cyfern said:

So, which one would you get? Is DX12 gonna become the standard anytime soon? Is it true that Nvidia's GPUs become obsolete faster than AMD's due to a lack of driver updated for them?

I need whatever one I get to last me a while so I obviously want the best option for the future.

 

The 480 of course is better for long term performance. The consensus is that the 1060 is only better in the now for games already released, and of course anything that has Gameworks.


 
Link to post
Share on other sites

Here's

Here's my stance:

 

If you plan on keeping your GPU for 2 years or less, go 1060. It beats the 480 in basically all dx11 games and since dx11 is what (almost) everything is on right now, the 1060 is a better choice.

 

If you plan on keeping your GPU for longer than two years, go 480. In most dx12 and Vulkan games it ties if not beats the 1060 while being cheaper. Since dx12 and Vulkan are the future, if you plan on keeping your GPU for a while the 480 will be the better choice. That's not to mention that over the long term AMD drivers tend to give a larger performance boost than Nvidia ones.

 

Also, if you want to do crossfire/sli in the future go 480 because the 1060, well, can't do sli except in some dx12 games.


Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

 

Do this:

Quote

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

 

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

 

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

 

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

 

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

The RX480 is a safer bet for future games, especially games that support DX12. Also keep in mind that the 480 cna be crossfired while the 1060 does not have SLI fingers which effectively locks you into having just that 1 card unless you upgrade to something like a 1070 later on. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Cyfern said:

Is it true that Nvidia's GPUs become obsolete faster than AMD's due to a lack of driver updated for them?

 

No, It's just that AMD cards perform really bad at launch and then get improved drivers later on.

Nvidia cards already perform really well at launch and only get a few performance boosts over time.

The driver support is perfectly fine, my 5 year old 770 still works great with the newest drivers.

 

All the DX12 and vulcan advantages that AMD has barely exist in any games today, so unless you plan to keep your GPU for 5-10 years (which you really shouldn't) the 1060 is a better choice.


My sound system costs more than my PC.        Check out my S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Intel i7 4790k | AMD Vega 64 | ASUS Sabertooth Z97 Mark S | Corsair Vengeance Pro 32GB | NZXT S340 | Seasonic Platinum 760 | modded H100i | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | 2x Samsung 850 Pro 512GB | WD Red 4TB Samsung 58" 4k TV | 2x Behringer NEKKST K8 | BIC Acoustech H-100II | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, DocSwag said:

Here's my stance:

 

If you plan on keeping your GPU for 2 years or less, go 1060. It beats the 480 in basically all dx11 games and since dx11 is what (almost) everything is on right now, the 1060 is a better choice.

 

If you plan on keeping your GPU for longer than two years, go 480. In most dx12 and Vulkan games it ties if not beats the 1060 while being cheaper. Since dx12 and Vulkan are the future, if you plan on keeping your GPU for a while the 480 will be the better choice. That's not to mention that over the long term AMD drivers tend to give a larger performance boost than Nvidia ones.

 

Also, if you want to do crossfire/sli in the future go 480 because the 1060, well, can't do sli except in some dx12 games.

Firstly could you use a colour that actually shows up on the dark theme? >_>

 

Secondly I think if you're keeping either of these cards longer than two years you will feel the drag by the end of it. I can't imagine it mattering too much which you have by then.

 

Thirdly, I wouldn't recommend choosing a mid/low tier card based on SLI. If you do it right now you may as well just get a better card. If you're getting it in the future when the card is old you may as well sell it and get a new one. In the latter case, it matters even less that the 1060 isn't SLI compatible, unless you are expecting Dx12 and Vulkan to fall flat on their faces in the coming years and Dx11 to remain.

 

Fourthly Dx12 and Vulkan aren't dependant on good drivers -- this is why AMD sees the performance boost it does, their Dx11/OpenGL drivers are shocking. As such it's nonsensical to talk about AMD drivers getting better and Nvidia drivers getting worse. The same benefit that AMD sees short term from the new APIs is going to be felt long-term by Nvidia for all of the same reasons.

 

If it were me I'd get the 4GB RX 480 for no other reason than it is around £20-50 cheaper than the others for something that is for all intents and purposes the same exact thing.

 

10 minutes ago, MaxBunny said:

The 480 of course is better for long term performance. The consensus is that the 1060 is only better in the now for games already released, and of course anything that has Gameworks.

Why "of course"? Because AMD's dx11 drivers getting better over time means that low level APIs like Dx12 are going to magically find some extra performance from somewhere over time?

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, othertomperson said:

Firstly could you use a colour that actually shows up on the dark theme? >_>

 

Secondly I think if you're keeping either of these cards longer than two years you will feel the drag by the end of it. I can't imagine it mattering too much which you have by then.

 

Thirdly, I wouldn't recommend choosing a mid/low tier card based on SLI. If you do it right now you may as well just get a better card. If you're getting it in the future when the card is old you may as well sell it and get a new one. In the latter case, it matters even less that the 1060 isn't SLI compatible, unless you are expecting Dx12 and Vulkan to fall flat on their faces in the coming years and Dx11 to remain.

 

Fourthly Dx12 and Vulkan aren't dependant on good drivers -- this is why AMD sees the performance boost it does, their Dx11/OpenGL drivers are shocking. As such it's nonsensical to talk about AMD drivers getting better and Nvidia drivers getting worse. The same benefit that AMD sees short term from the new APIs is going to be felt long-term by Nvidia for all of the same reasons.

 

If it were me I'd get the 4GB RX 480 for no other reason than it is around £20-50 cheaper than the others for something that is for all intents and purposes the same exact thing.

 

Why "of course"? Because AMD's dx11 drivers getting better over time means that low level APIs like Dx12 are going to magically find some extra performance from somewhere over time?

I forgot that their drivers improve a lot only on dx11... My bad.

 

It does end up then that the 1060 is just a better option than the 8gb rx 480, but the 4gb one and 470 seem to be good deals.

 

Good point... I never thought of that.


Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

 

Do this:

Quote

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

 

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

 

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

 

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

 

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, DocSwag said:

I forgot that their drivers improve a lot only on dx11... My bad.

 

It does end up then that the 1060 is just a better option than the 8gb rx 480, but the 4gb one and 470 seem to be good deals.

 

Good point... I never thought of that.

I am waiting for the 470 to settle on a local price. Right now the 470 is more expensive than the 480 xD

Link to post
Share on other sites

If you are primarily playing DX11 games, the gtx 1060 is a better choice, but the RX 480 is more of a long term solution because it has much more compute, and is better on paper.


hello!

is it me you're looking for?

ᴾC SᴾeCS ᴰoWᴺ ᴮEᴸoW

Spoiler

Desktop: X99-PC

CPU: i7 5820k

Mobo: X99 Deluxe

Cooler: Dark Rock Pro 3

RAM: 32GB DDR4
GPU: GTX 1080

Storage: 1TB 850 Evo, 1TB HDD, bunch of external hard drives
PSU: EVGA G2 750w

Peripherals: Logitech G502, Ducky One 711

Audio: Xonar U7, O2 amplifier (RIP), HD6XX

Monitors: 4k 24" Dell monitor, 1080p 24" Asus monitor

 

Laptop:

-Overkill Dell XPS

Fully maxed out early 2017 Dell XPS 15, GTX 1050 4GB, 7700HQ, 1TB nvme SSD, 32GB RAM, 4k display. 97Whr battery :x 
Dell was having a $600 off sale for the fully specced out model, so I decided to get it :P

 

-Crapbook

Fully specced out early 2013 Macbook "pro" with gt 650m and constant 105c temperature on the CPU (GPU is 80-90C) when doing anything intensive...

A 2013 laptop with a regular sized battery still has better battery life than a 2017 laptop with a massive battery! I think this is a testament to apple's ability at making laptops, or maybe how little CPU technology has improved even 4+ years later (at least, until the recent introduction of 15W 4 core CPUs). Anyway, I'm never going to get a 35W CPU laptop again unless battery technology becomes ~5x better than as it is in 2018.

Apple knows how to make proper consumer-grade laptops (they don't know how to make pro laptops though). I guess this mostly software power efficiency related, but getting a mac makes perfect sense if you want a portable/powerful laptop that can do anything you want it to with great battery life.

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

+1 for a GTX 1060


Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.5GHz | Corsair H110i GTX | EVGA GTX 1080 FTW | Asus X99 STRIX | Kingston HyperX Predator 240GB | Samsung 850 EVO 2TB | 32GB Corsair LPX 3000MHz CL15 RAM | EVGA SuperNova GS 1050W | Kept cool & quiet in a Fractal Design Define R5 Window with all Noctua fans

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×