How to play 4K Blu Rays without an Xbox One S or 4K player?

I am looking for a way to play 4K blu rays. I was going to get an Xbox One S but I felt like getting a GTX 1070 instead and waiting out for Scorpio. What kind of blu Ray optical drive do I need? Could you leave a link to amazon? What software should I use?

To my knowledge there isn't a 4K HDR bluray player for PC yet. That plus you would have to buy software to run it as well since none of the free media players will run bluray from the disc except maybe potplayer, though I don't think it will bypass the encryption. 

Wait it till you can afford a 4K bluray player. Regular bluray players won't do it. 

1 hour ago, Johnmakuta said:

I am looking for a way to play 4K blu rays. I was going to get an Xbox One S but I felt like getting a GTX 1070 instead and waiting out for Scorpio. What kind of blu Ray optical drive do I need? Could you leave a link to amazon? What software should I use?

Their is no drive able to handle 4K Blu-Rays on the PC and it's going a very long time before you see one. Blu-Ray scene for PC is pathetic as it is. I don't even want image what 4K Blu-Ray scene would be like.

Current Build: Project Frost
Gaming Rig Build: Project Ice Dragon

Rumor has it that a sub $200 standalone 4k Blu-ray player will be released in time for the holiday shopping season. 

13 hours ago, NickTheMajin said:

To my knowledge there isn't a 4K HDR bluray player for PC yet. That plus you would have to buy software to run it as well since none of the free media players will run bluray from the disc except maybe potplayer, though I don't think it will bypass the encryption. 

Wait it till you can afford a 4K bluray player. Regular bluray players won't do it. 

I thought I could use one of these https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B007YWMCA8/ref=ox_sc_saved_image_5?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A1H9NMCPZH97BO

And play it with PowerDVD 16 Ultra? 

PowerDVD 16 can do Bluray and 4K playback and the Blu ray optical drive is capable of the 128GB Blu rays (AKA 4k)

2 hours ago, Johnmakuta said:

I thought I could use one of these https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B007YWMCA8/ref=ox_sc_saved_image_5?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A1H9NMCPZH97BO

And play it with PowerDVD 16 Ultra? 

PowerDVD 16 can do Bluray and 4K playback and the Blu ray optical drive is capable of the 128GB Blu rays (AKA 4k)

That wont play them in 4K or HDR

3 hours ago, NickTheMajin said:

That wont play them in 4K or HDR

Will it at least play them?

On 8/4/2016 at 3:09 AM, Johnmakuta said:

There's no 4k drives for pc. the only supplier and distributor of 4k players and content is sony. I wouldn't get 4k blurays because of the DRM.

Windows 10 Edu | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | Ryzen 9 3950x | 4x 16GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB| ROG Strix GeForce® RTX 2080 SUPER™ Advanced edition | Samsung 980 PRO 500GB + Samsung 970 Evo Plus 2TB + 8TB Seagate Barracuda | EVGA Supernova 650 G2 | Alienware AW3418DW + LG 34uc87c + Dell u3419w | Asus Zephyrus G14

6 hours ago, Scruffy90 said:

There's no 4k drives for pc. the only supplier and distributor of 4k players and content is sony. I wouldn't get 4k blurays because of the DRM.

4K players are actually made by different makers. Samsung was the first on the market with it. The IP is owned by the Blu-ray Disc Association, which has many members.

LG's newer BDXL drives supposedly can read UHD Blu-ray discs, but there is no software available to play them.

1 hour ago, Stagea said:

4K players are actually made by different makers. Samsung was the first on the market with it. The IP is owned by the Blu-ray Disc Association, which has many members.

LG's newer BDXL drives supposedly can read UHD Blu-ray discs, but there is no software available to play them.

I knew about the IP being owned by them. Thought Sony were the first since those were the only ones I saw being sold in stores when they released and Sony picture movies were the only ones in stores at the time. Until they stop putting AACS2.0 DRM (needs to phone home) on these, I wont be investing in a 4k player.

Windows 10 Edu | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | Ryzen 9 3950x | 4x 16GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB| ROG Strix GeForce® RTX 2080 SUPER™ Advanced edition | Samsung 980 PRO 500GB + Samsung 970 Evo Plus 2TB + 8TB Seagate Barracuda | EVGA Supernova 650 G2 | Alienware AW3418DW + LG 34uc87c + Dell u3419w | Asus Zephyrus G14

8 hours ago, Scruffy90 said:

I knew about the IP being owned by them. Thought Sony were the first since those were the only ones I saw being sold in stores when they released and Sony picture movies were the only ones in stores at the time. Until they stop putting AACS2.0 DRM (needs to phone home) on these, I wont be investing in a 4k player.

Unfortunately Sony isn't releasing a 4k player until next year so we're currently stuck with just Samsung and Phillips.  Panasonic is going to start selling their 4k player in the U.S. next month but it's twice the price of the Samsung so I'm going to put off getting a second one for awhile.

18 hours ago, Scruffy90 said:

As Johnny5c mentioned, Sony's a bit late to the party on this one. They're still selling up-scaling players (not native UHD devices). The "4K" thing that they've been pushing before was just "Mastered in 4K" Blurays, which are plain old 1080P discs. Sony Pictures supposedly optimized their down-conversion algorithm (for converting the high resolution down to 1080p) so that the down-converted material will work well with their TV's up-converter.

The PS4 Neo is expected to be Sony's first UHD Bluray player.

44 minutes ago, Stagea said:

As Johnny5c mentioned, Sony's a bit late to the party on this one. They're still selling up-scaling players (not native UHD devices). The "4K" thing that they've been pushing before was just "Mastered in 4K" Blurays, which are plain old 1080P discs. Sony Pictures supposedly optimized their down-conversion algorithm (for converting the high resolution down to 1080p) so that the down-converted material will work well with their TV's up-converter.

The PS4 Neo is expected to be Sony's first UHD Bluray player.

Interesting. Did not know.

13 hours ago, johnny5c said:

Unfortunately Sony isn't releasing a 4k player until next year so we're currently stuck with just Samsung and Phillips.  Panasonic is going to start selling their 4k player in the U.S. next month but it's twice the price of the Samsung so I'm going to put off getting a second one for awhile.

The Xbox One S is another option if you're willing to tolerate a console in your home theater. Contrary to what Linus said in the WAN show, it actually has HDMI 2.0a. 

Here's what the Xbox One S checks upon being connected to a display:

rVTm3fOX.jpg