INCREASING TRANSFER SPEED

Hey guys, 

i had a spare router at my house , so i made sorta a NAS out of it,(this router isnt connected to the internet so its storage is just available to the devices which connect to it), but i wish to know here on what does the transfer speed (e.g: transferrring file from a pc connected to it to its storage) depend on and how can i increase it!

and if anyone is interested please answer the below question too! Thanks a ton you all in advance!

5 minutes ago, ArkTheYO said:

Transfer speed has several factor. The speed of the drives in your system and how they are setup. The speed of the ports they are connected to, The speed to the ethernet ports and cables, and the (The speed of the drives in your system and how they are setup. The speed of the ports they are connected to) of the other system the files are transfering too.

Use this guide to fix text problems in your postGo here and here for all your power supply needs

New Build Currently Under Construction! See here!!!! -----> 

Spoiler

Deathwatch:[CPU I7 4790K @ 4.5GHz][RAM TEAM VULCAN 16 GB 1600][MB ASRock Z97 Anniversary][GPU XFX Radeon RX 480 8GB][STORAGE 250GB SAMSUNG EVO SSD Samsung 2TB HDD 2TB WD External Drive][COOLER Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo][PSU Cooler Master 650M][Case Thermaltake Core V31]

Spoiler

Cupid:[CPU Core 2 Duo E8600 3.33GHz][RAM 3 GB DDR2][750GB Samsung 2.5" HDD/HDD Seagate 80GB SATA/Samsung 80GB IDE/WD 325GB IDE][MB Acer M1641][CASE Antec][[PSU Altec 425 Watt][GPU Radeon HD 4890 1GB][TP-Link 54MBps Wireless Card]

Spoiler

Carlile: [CPU 2x Pentium 3 1.4GHz][MB ASUS TR-DLS][RAM 2x 512MB DDR ECC Registered][GPU Nvidia TNT2 Pro][PSU Enermax][HDD 1 IDE 160GB, 4 SCSI 70GB][RAID CARD Dell Perc 3]

Spoiler

Zeonnight [CPU AMD Athlon x2 4400][GPU Sapphire Radeon 4650 1GB][RAM 2GB DDR2]

Spoiler

Server [CPU 2x Xeon L5630][PSU Dell Poweredge 850w][HDD 1 SATA 160GB, 3 SAS 146GB][RAID CARD Dell Perc 6i]

Spoiler

Kero [CPU Pentium 1 133Mhz] [GPU Cirrus Logic LCD 1MB Graphics Controller] [Ram 48MB ][HDD 1.4GB Hitachi IDE]

Spoiler

Mining Rig: [CPU Athlon 64 X2 4400+][GPUS 9 RX 560s, 2 RX 570][HDD 160GB something][RAM 8GBs DDR3][PSUs 1 Thermaltake 700w, 2 Delta 900w 120v Server modded]

RAINBOWS!!!

QUOTE ME SO I CAN SEE YOUR REPLYS!!!!

Are you using a hard dirve connected to the router? if you are connecting both ends via ethernet, the hard drive connector will be the bottleneck.

i5 6600k and GTX 1070 but I play 1600-900. 1440p BABY!

Still, don't put too much faith in my buying decisions. xD 

51 minutes ago, 8uhbbhu8 said:

Transfer speed has several factor. The speed of the drives in your system and how they are setup. The speed of the ports they are connected to, The speed to the ethernet ports and cables, and the (The speed of the drives in your system and how they are setup. The speed of the ports they are connected to) of the other system the files are transfering too.

Thanks a lot! 

50 minutes ago, YedZed said:

Are you using a hard dirve connected to the router? if you are connecting both ends via ethernet, the hard drive connector will be the bottleneck.

Well actually I'm connecting my pc to the router through the routers wifi(I set up a wifi connection on my router (which is a modem too) which is a modem too). ?

53 minutes ago, YedZed said:

I am connecting the hard drive to my router through a USB connection available on my router 

53 minutes ago, YedZed said:

I am connecting the hard drive to my router through a USB connection available on my router 

28 minutes ago, ArkTheYO said:

Well actually I'm connecting my pc to the router through the routers wifi(I set up a wifi connection on my router (which is a modem too) which is a modem too). ?

Well then, if your wifi is slow, you can use Ethernet to speed up transfer speed. That is, assuming the usb is fast enough to take advantage of the added speed.

7 hours ago, YedZed said:

Well then, if your wifi is slow, you can use Ethernet to speed up transfer speed. That is, assuming the usb is fast enough to take advantage of the added speed.

Hey do u think my router might be limiting my hard disk transfer rate like by setting it's own rate? 

6 hours ago, ArkTheYO said:

Hey do u think my router might be limiting my hard disk transfer rate like by setting it's own rate? 

What speeds are you actually getting? Is the USB port on the router USB 2.0? If so, you're not going to get very good speeds no matter what you do.

Aragorn (WS): 250D | 6800k | 840 Pro 512GB | Intel 530 480GB  | Asus X99-M WS | 64GB DDR4 | Corsair HX720i | GTX 1070 | Corsair H115i | Philips BDM4350UC 43" 3840x2160 IPS

Gimli (server):  Node 304 | G4560 | ADATA XPG SX8000 128GB | 2x 5TB WD Red | ASROCK H270M-ITX/AC  | 8GB DDR4 | Seasonic 400FL

Omega (server):                 Fractal Arc Mini R2 | i3 4130 | 500GB Maxtor | 2TB WD Red : Raid 1 | 3TB Seagate Barracuda | 16GB RAM | Seasonic G-450w
Alpha (WS): 900D | 4770k | GTX 780  | 840 Pro 512GB  | GA-Z87X-OC | Corsair RM 850 | 24GB 2400mhz | Samsung S27B970D 2560x1440

||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

6 hours ago, ArkTheYO said:

Probably not. If its a wired connection, you aren't gonna get any faster than ethernet. Are you wired internet or wireless?

40 minutes ago, squirrl said:

What speeds are you actually getting? Is the USB port on the router USB 2.0? If so, you're not going to get very good speeds no matter what you do.

Yea sadly usb 2.0, its quite oldd u know!

18 minutes ago, YedZed said:

Probably not. If its a wired connection, you aren't gonna get any faster than ethernet. Are you wired internet or wireless?

Wireless! with wireless i get like around 1.1 mbps transfer speed!

1 minute ago, ArkTheYO said:

Wireless! with wireless i get like around 1.1 mbps transfer speed!

Then that is probably bottlenecking you. I suggest you use ethernet.