Erratic Freezing

iTonyy

Hey guys,

I'm having a very peculiar problem where my pc would erratically freeze up on me and the problem seems to worsen the further I try to diagnose it. To begin with, over the past week I've had freezes that would randomly occur whether I'm gaming or just idling on my desktop. The freeze itself would just freeze my screen at first and then I'd be informed that there was no signal as if my pc was shut off. I also found that if left alone, the pc would shut it self off after a while. At first I thought maybe this was some sort of virus or driver conflict which prompt'ed me to reinstall my OS, however the problem still persists which led me to believe it was a hardware problem. Normally you would think that this is a GPU issue, despite I stripping the system down to just the ssd and 1 stick of ram, the freezing continued. Although it took on a new form as you can see in the picture below. So at this point, I'm not quite sure whether the issue here is with the motherboard or my gpu. Hope you guys can help me out and thanks in advance!

Edit: A few things I forgot to mention. 

1) I've already tried a different display/cable while running onboard video and got similar results as in the picture

2) RAM has already been verified through memtest

Update: Since someone mentioned it might be a storage issue and I was still freezing while running on my ssd, I've reinstalled my OS on my secondary HHD. So far there haven't been any freezes, but I am experiencing some typical hhd failure symptoms of sluggish performance and audible clicking/crunching noises coming from the drive. Crystaldiskinfo shows that the drive is in good health and that most SMART values are in the mid 90s, so I'm not quite sure whether or not anything is actually failing. Maybe I've been spoiled by my ssd's performance but all I can do right now is wait and see if anything happens.

1.png

3770k, Asrock Extreme 4, 16GB Dominator Plat, AX760i, 250GB BX100, 1.5TB Seagate, Win 7 Home Prem 

check your cable ? whats the display port used ?

might be broken

also I first read : "Errectic Freezing" xD

~New~  BoomBerryPi project !  ~New~

new build log : http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/533392-build-log-the-scrap-simulator-x/?p=7078757 (5 screen flight sim for 620$ CAD)LTT Web Challenge is back ! go here  :  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/448184-ltt-web-challenge-3-v21/#entry601004

Just now, givingtnt said:

check your cable ? whats the display port used ?

might be broken

also I first read : "Errectic Freezing" xD

Forgot to mention in OP that after switching to onboard video, I tried another monitor and cable and got similar results to the picture above. So I'm pretty sure its not an issue with my monitor itself

3770k, Asrock Extreme 4, 16GB Dominator Plat, AX760i, 250GB BX100, 1.5TB Seagate, Win 7 Home Prem 

2 minutes ago, iTonyy said:

Forgot to mention in OP that after switching to onboard video, I tried another monitor and cable and got similar results to the picture above. So I'm pretty sure its not an issue with my monitor itself

try swapping the ram to another slot

snip nvm

try to see if you can find another cpu ? borrow one ?

if it still persists, perhaps its your motherboard.

new build log : http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/533392-build-log-the-scrap-simulator-x/?p=7078757 (5 screen flight sim for 620$ CAD)LTT Web Challenge is back ! go here  :  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/448184-ltt-web-challenge-3-v21/#entry601004

1 minute ago, givingtnt said:

try swapping the ram to another slot

if you can, try to find another stick of ram (borrow from friend ?)
and try with that.

Already tried a different slot and verified that it was fine with memtest

I have seen this one before. On the computer I was working on, it was doing this. I just replaced the hard drive with one that had a clean install of Windows 10 on it and that computer is still going!

On another laptop that I had, it would do the stripes on the screen and beep and now reached the point of no return with it not even lighting up when you charge it up. This has been the case with every AMD laptop I have owned (I don't hate AMD, this is just my experience). 

I sure hope that the first suggestion will work and not end up like the second suggestion! 

Thanks,

Hunter

4 hours ago, techman678 said:

I have seen this one before. On the computer I was working on, it was doing this. I just replaced the hard drive with one that had a clean install of Windows 10 on it and that computer is still going!

On another laptop that I had, it would do the stripes on the screen and beep and now reached the point of no return with it not even lighting up when you charge it up. This has been the case with every AMD laptop I have owned (I don't hate AMD, this is just my experience). 

I sure hope that the first suggestion will work and not end up like the second suggestion! 

Thanks,

Hunter

I've tried with and without my secondary HHD but the problem persisted. Maybe I'm just unaware, but I've never really heard of storage causing such drastic problems before. I tested it using HHD Scan and it shows its at 100% for all SMART values which makes sense since I just purchased it back in Feb. 

do you have a laptop ?

can you connct itnto the display ?

maybe its the screen

11 hours ago, givingtnt said:

do you have a laptop ?

can you connct itnto the display ?

maybe its the screen

Don't think its the display since I've already tried a second monitor/cable and got similar results as in the picture