Windows 10 Anniversary Update - Here is everything you need to know - OUT NOW!

GoodBytes
48 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

You can't. It's an integral part of Windows 10.

Found a way, my taskbar is sexy again!

For anyone interested in getting rid of Action Centre icon (just the icon):

Settings > Taskbar Tab (on the left) > Turn system icons on or off (at the bottom)

They seem to have moved it at the bottom, that's why I couldn't find it :D

Edit:

About the new features (after about 20 minutes of playing around):

• Skype Preview feels way nicer than the current desktop version - no ads + dark theme
  • Dark Theme in Settings looks a bit out of place; it's too dark maybe?
  • Kinda annoying that the Windows Defender icon is always there on the taskbar, but you can hide it in the arrow thingy (^)
  • There are a lot more games pre-installed this time; I have Farm Ville, Candy Crush (or is it Soda now?), Asphalt 8 and AoE (the fuck?)

4 hours ago, hoboX10 said:

Anyone have the Android notifications working?

You need to install Cortana on your phone.

And you need that both accounts (account on your system and the Cortana app) are the same Microsoft one.

And you need to turn on, on both your PC and under Cortana.

Anyone else has their logon screen changed from the cool blue Windows logo, to like a beach picture? Also, my account avatar is missing.

Spoiler

Prometheus (Main Rig)

CPU-Z Verification

Laptop: 

Spoiler

Intel Core i3-5005U, 8GB RAM, Crucial MX 100 128GB, Touch-Screen, Intel 7260 WiFi/Bluetooth card.

Phone:

Game Consoles:

Spoiler

Softmodded Fat PS2 w/ 80GB HDD, and a Dreamcast.

If you want my attention quote my post, or tag me. If you don't use PCPartPicker I will ignore your build.

2 minutes ago, EarthboundHero said:

Anyone else has their logon screen changed from the cool blue Windows logo, to like a beach picture? Also, my account avatar is missing.

it's the windows spotlight

you can change it back settings > per > lock

1 minute ago, Arty said:

it's the windows spotlight

you can change it back settings > per > lock

Nope, already have my background selected and "Show lock screen background picture on the sign-in screen" enabled. Not a huge deal would just prefer the old one.

Spoiler

Prometheus (Main Rig)

CPU-Z Verification

Laptop: 

Spoiler

Intel Core i3-5005U, 8GB RAM, Crucial MX 100 128GB, Touch-Screen, Intel 7260 WiFi/Bluetooth card.

Phone:

Game Consoles:

Spoiler

Softmodded Fat PS2 w/ 80GB HDD, and a Dreamcast.

If you want my attention quote my post, or tag me. If you don't use PCPartPicker I will ignore your build.

I finished building my hackintosh, just in time...

Just installed update. Adblock Plus made Microsoft Edge worse.

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-AX370-Gaming | CPU: R7 2700X | Cooler: Wraith Prism | Ram:  Corsair Vengance LPX 16GB DDR4 | GPU: EVGA 1060 3GB  | Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB SSD + WD 1TB Black | Case: NZXT H440 STEEL Mid Tower Case(Red&Black)

Anybody know when Mobile will get the anniversary update?

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

Just updated my desktop, and I like it so far.

Main Rig "Rocinante" - Ryzen 9 5900X, EVGA FTW3 RTX 3080 Ultra Gaming, 32GB 3600MHz DDR4

2 hours ago, GoodBytes said:

You need to install Cortana on your phone.

And you need that both accounts (account on your system and the Cortana app) are the same Microsoft one.

And you need to turn on, on both your PC and under Cortana.

I have all that. When I first installed the update I got a notification for my most recent text and I haven't received anything since. I double checked that all settings were enabled and set correctly. I even turned off everything and turned them all back on. Is it working for you or anyone else?

Edit: Got it working by uninstalling and reinstalling the Cortana app but I never get a reply message on the SMS box.

32 minutes ago, Public Policy said:

Just installed update. Adblock Plus made Microsoft Edge worse.

Seems like ABP is bugged, but AdBlock sees to be working properly for me.

Main Rig "Rocinante" - Ryzen 9 5900X, EVGA FTW3 RTX 3080 Ultra Gaming, 32GB 3600MHz DDR4

to note

• if you use modded drivers that require Driver Signature to be disabled, be sure to disable it again - this update restores some Windows settings to their default values
  • if you use DFMirage Display Driver for your Tight VNC Server, uninstall it - otherwise the Anniversary Update will not install

I have to be signed into MS' store to be able to download Edge extensions!? fuck you! no, I won't sign in

Problem solved. Thanks! It doesn't matter what ad blocker I use as long as I don't see any.

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-AX370-Gaming | CPU: R7 2700X | Cooler: Wraith Prism | Ram:  Corsair Vengance LPX 16GB DDR4 | GPU: EVGA 1060 3GB  | Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB SSD + WD 1TB Black | Case: NZXT H440 STEEL Mid Tower Case(Red&Black)

The update went flawlessly.

Doesn't seem too much different overall.

Cortana is just the old search megeed together. It's the same old search box with a new icon.

Overall, it works great.

Spoiler

Updated without any problems EXCEPT now I cannot open up Doom if I select the Vulkan API, instant crash before getting into the game. 

33 minutes ago, IGJoe2192 said:

Updated without any problems EXCEPT now I cannot open up Doom if I select the Vulkan API, instant crash before getting into the game. 

Maybe re-install your graphics card drivers, or the game.

3 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

Maybe re-install your graphics card drivers, or the game.

I have done both. The game booted up after reinstalling and deleting my saved games, though that was in OpenGL, selected Vulkan, rebooted the game and same thing occurred again. 

The updates gone and uninstalled something and I can't remember what, is there anyway to find out what it was?

3700x, Asus B450i, 16GB Corsair Vengeance RGB, Gigabyte GTX 970 ITXDan A4-SFX, SX600-G, 120mm AIO.

it keeps asking me to add a windows account every hour and restart.

maybe cuz im in developer mode for bash?

i turned notifications off, i hope that fixes it.

the font in the steam store on steam randomly changed too, but clearing the cache fixed that.

Ok, so I have finished updating, and I am using version 1607, and have found 1 bug with Edge so far relating to facebook's website, specifically the chat system for the in-laid website messenger, so if you plan on using Edge with Facebook and need to chat use Messenger.com

It showed up last night for me, so i started downloading and installing and boom BSOD at 50pct :(

I'm trying again as i write this ,lets hope it succeeds this time :D

Edit.

It didn't work so I think i wont be updating for a while since i just had a clean install a week ago and don't want to start over.

Why did they make the update change system settings?  The update renabled onedrive, renabled my motherboards bluetooth, reset my desktop and lock page/welcome page backgrounds to the factory default.  Cortana was reenabled and a windows store icon was added to my taskbar. 

Not to mention it ran overnight (I'm guessing intentionally).  I was never even prompted, I Just woke up to an unfamiliar looking system.  "Oh HI.  We've updated your PC while you were sleeping.  We copied all your personal data while we were at it.  And just to piss you off, here's a default desktop background and CORTANA IN YOUR FACE."

Thanks microsoft.

15 minutes ago, tbake0155 said:

Why did they make the update change system settings?  The update renabled onedrive, renabled my motherboards bluetooth, reset my desktop and lock page/welcome page backgrounds to the factory default.  Cortana was reenabled and a windows store icon was added to my taskbar. 

Not to mention it ran overnight (I'm guessing intentionally).  I was never even prompted, I Just woke up to an unfamiliar looking system.  "Oh HI.  We've updated your PC while you were sleeping.  We copied all your personal data while we were at it.  And just to piss you off, here's a default desktop background and CORTANA IN YOUR FACE."

Thanks microsoft.

yeah, I updated mine and all the windows store icons, unwelcome desktop shortcuts, and task bar notifications all reappeared...

good thing this never happens with my macbook! ? 

in all seriousness though, for as much as this update was pranced around by microsoft, i'm not sure it really offered much...the big headlining thing was Bash (it seems) and even that requires you jump through hoops to enable it.

ESXi SysAdmin

I have more cores/threads than you...and I use them all

1 hour ago, Sunshine1868 said:

yeah, I updated mine and all the windows store icons, unwelcome desktop shortcuts, and task bar notifications all reappeared...

good thing this never happens with my macbook! ? 

in all seriousness though, for as much as this update was pranced around by microsoft, i'm not sure it really offered much...the big headlining thing was Bash (it seems) and even that requires you jump through hoops to enable it.

It even reset my mouse pointer acceleration!  I don't have any apple computers but I was thinking the same thing about the stability of my linux server. Thankfully I don't have to worry about that system upgrading itself, changing configurations and rebooting all on it's own.  That system is rock solid.  I don't really care for the linux GUI's though.

I was still able to disable cortana with the group policy editor.  I removed the windows store/bing/zune/skype/solitaire with powershell using the command "get-appxpackage -Name *store* | remove-appxpackage", where store can be replaced with any string from the name of the package.  Use get-appxpackage to find a list of installed packages. 

I read about the bash integration but I didn't find anything on the system, so that makes sense you have to install/enable it somehow.  I have cygwin installed and well configured for my uses so I don't care about having the bash.  But it is funny that windows is integrating a bash shell.  If I hadn't paid good money for Windows 8.1 pro on my desktop I would install a bare-bones linux distro.

@AresKrieger Windows is windoze bro, it's all shit :)