Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
GoodBytes

Windows 10 Anniversary Update - Here is everything you need to know - OUT NOW!

Thanks for the info. Updated today, then used "disk cleanup" to delete all the garbage on my SSD. Got 20GB free, all my files and programs work like they used to.

So far so good, tested benchmarks and I get expected performance, boot time is amazing now, just like when I clean installed W10 for the first time.

Hope it works for everyone, seems their update waves are good enough, I live in Mexico and got the update today in the morning (just decided to install it later to check everything) Hope things keep like this, improving.

Just finished updating - seems to have broken my right clicks and dialogue boxes in chrome/paint... o.O

"The wheel?" "No thanks, I'll walk, its more natural" - thus was the beginning of the doom of the Human race.
Cheese monger.

My Windows Update still hasn't pulled the Anniversary yet.  Yesterday, I attempted the manual update through MS' website.  The installer downloaded the ISO, began the install, rebooted the machine, did some more work on the install, and then rebooted the machine again.  What I was left with was: my original Windows 10.  I was able to replicate this about 5 or 6 times before I just gave up.

I'm likely doing something wrong, but I'm not sure what, yet.

Editing Rig: Mac Pro 17,1

System Specs: 3.2GHz 16-core Xeon | 96GB ECC DDR4 | AMD Radeon Pro Vega II (32GB HBM2) | Lots of SSD and NVMe storage |

Audio: Sound Blaster X7 external DAC/ADC |

Gaming Rig: PC

System Specs:  Asus Rampage VI Extreme board | Intel Core i9 7900X | 64GB Corsair Vengeance LPX (OC'd to 4GHz) | 2 x NVidia 2080Ti FE cards (OC'd) | Corsair AX1500i power supply | CaseLabs Magnum THW10 case ( RIP CaseLabs 😞 ) |

Audio:  Sound Blaster AE-9 card | Mackie DL32R Mixer | Sennheiser HDV820 amp | Sennheiser HD820 phones | Rode Broadcaster mic |

Displays: Asus PG27UQ 4K/144Hz display | 2 x LG 27UK650-W 4K displays |

Cooling:  2 x EK 140 Revo D5 Pump/Res | EK Asus R6E monoblock | 2 x EK 2080Ti waterblocks | 2 x AlphaCool 480mm x 60mm rads | AlphaCool 560mm x 60mm rad | 21 x Noctua 120mm fans | 8 x Noctua 140mm fans | 2 x Aquaero 6XT fan controllers |

10 hours ago, Ramamataz said:

Its seems the new update screws over people using windows 10. By not allowing to disable the lock screen, preventing microsoft ads and having microsoft download apps to your computer like candy crush. 

get-appxpackage -Name *candycrush* | remove-appxpackage

Open powershell and run that command.  I can't stand that kind of crap on my system either. Here's some more you could run:

get-appxpackage -Name *store* | remove-appxpackage      

get-appxpackage -Name *bing* | remove-appxpackage     

get-appxpackage -Name *solitaire* | remove-appxpackage

get-appxpackage -Name *advertising* | remove-appxpackage

get-appxpackage -Name *zune* | remove-appxpackage

You can search for all packages using get-appxpackage.  And you can remove them individually by using remove-appxpackage [full package name].  The commands above will remove several packages at once, any package that contains the string between the ** symbols.  Also, you may have to run those commands as all users on your system.  I have two users, an admin and a normal user.  I ran all of those commands with both users in order to remove all of the packages for both users.

I wish you could remove cortana and xbox but you cannot.  I have however fully disabled cortana through group policy so I'm satisfied.

@GoodBytes Some people want a clean professional system, not a junky OS pre-loaded with software they will never use.  Unpinning can hide the candycrush but I don't want to hide it, I want it off of my system.

EDIT: I forgot one of the worst ones!!!

get-appxpackage -Name *skype* | remove-appxpackage

The phone features will be the soul reason why I will update!

I always lose my phone and respond 2h late to messages so it will be very useful to have it on my pc!

I also hope that when I look for an app on the start menu it will show me the .exe and not the bloody .dll files

Thank you for the list btw!

15 minutes ago, tbake0155 said:

get-appxpackage -Name *candycrush* | remove-appxpackage

Open powershell and run that command.  I can't stand that kind of crap on my system either. Here's some more you could run:

get-appxpackage -Name *store* | remove-appxpackage      

get-appxpackage -Name *bing* | remove-appxpackage     

get-appxpackage -Name *solitaire* | remove-appxpackage

get-appxpackage -Name *advertising* | remove-appxpackage

get-appxpackage -Name *zune* | remove-appxpackage

You can search for all packages using get-appxpackage.  And you can remove them individually by using remove-appxpackage [full package name].  The commands above will remove several packages at once, any package that contains the string between the ** symbols.  Also, you may have to run those commands as all users on your system.  I have two users, an admin and a normal user.  I ran all of those commands with both users in order to remove all of the packages for both users.

I wish you could remove cortana and xbox but you cannot.  I have however fully disabled cortana through group policy so I'm satisfied.

@GoodBytes Some people want a clean professional system, not a junky OS pre-loaded with software they will never use.  Unpinning can hide the candycrush but I don't want to hide it, I want it off of my system.

EDIT: I forgot one of the worst ones!!!

get-appxpackage -Name *skype* | remove-appxpackage

Thats why i talked about Windows10 Enterprise LTSB above.

The LTSB version does not come with all those modern apps bloatware installed.

There is also no Cortana and no Edge included either.

So i´m realy currious how much data collection and telemetry tracking there is still left in the LTSB version without all that crap included.

Posted · Original PosterOP
14 minutes ago, tbake0155 said:

Some people want a clean professional system, not a junky OS pre-loaded with software they will never use.  Unpinning can hide the candycrush but I don't want to hide it, I want it off of my system.

I know this. And no, unpinning removes the link to download it. It will be your only option, and it will not be actually installed. Assuming you did click on it and it is install, then uninstalling it, will remove any trace from it, which is the beauty of Universal Apps.

I take it back... since the update my GPU idle temps always go up to 70c... I thought  it was the driver and I updated it using DDU for a full clean but it keeps doing it...

●CPU: i7-4790K w/H100i ●Mobo: MSI Z97 MPower ●RAM: Corsair 16GB Dominator ●GPU: EVGA ACX SC 780 3GB(X2) ●SSD: 850 Pro 256GB ●Case: 450D ●PSU: AX 860i ●Monitor: Asus PB278Q 1440p

For those who are complaining about the data collecting etc, but still need/want to use windows.

May I suggest "Windows 10 LTSB", it's everything you want without all the crap.

Truly the best version of windows.

CPU: 3930k  @ stock                                  RAM: 32GB RipjawsZ @ 2133Mhz       Cooling: Custom Loop
MOBO: AsRock x79 Extreme9                      SSD: 240GB Vertex 3 (OS)                     Case: HAF XB                     LG 34um95 + Ergotron MX Arm Mount - Dual Review
  GPUs: Gigabyte GTX 670 SLI                     HDD: 1TB WD Black                                PSU: Corsair AX 860                               Beyerdynamic - Custom One Pro Review

Got it working on my laptop without reinstall.

Downloaded the Windows Anniversary Update ISO and upgraded from that.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

In conclusion , nothing new, just some useless stuff packed in 5GB. Im not gonna update.... i like windows how it is right now so i wont clean my c:/ so it can't be installed... sry

just did the update, C:/ went from 70gb free to 80gb free, weird but awesome.

So far noticed nothing new except the list function in start menu.

May the light have your back and your ISO low.

java completely broke for me, every time i tried to open a java applet, the os would crash with no error code, realy annoying for me had to reinstall java, after reinstalling it java applets were slow, i said screw it i'm going back to my older version of windows and never upgrade.

****SORRY FOR MY ENGLISH IT'S REALLY TERRIBLE*****

Been married to my wife for 3 years now! Yay!

I noticed they added a clock to secondary taskbars.

THIS IS THE ONLY REASON I WOULD HAVE NEEDED o.O

Remember kids, the only difference between screwing around and science is writing it down. - Adam Savage

PHOΞNIX Ryzen 5 1600 @ 3.75GHz | Corsair LPX 16Gb DDR4 @ 2933 | MSI B350 Tomahawk | Sapphire RX 480 Nitro+ 8Gb | Intel 535 120Gb | Western Digital WD5000AAKS x2 | Cooler Master HAF XB Evo | Corsair H80 + Corsair SP120 | Cooler Master 120mm AF | Corsair SP120 | Icy Box IB-172SK-B | OCZ CX500W | Acer GF246 24" + AOC <some model> 21.5" | Steelseries Apex 350 | Steelseries Diablo 3 | Steelseries Syberia RAW Prism | Corsair HS-1 | Akai AM-A1

D.VA coming soon™ xoxo

Sapphire Acer Aspire 1410 Celeron 743 | 3Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Home x32

Vault Tec Celeron 420 | 2Gb DDR2-667 | Storage pending | Open Media Vault

gh0st Asus K50IJ T3100 | 2Gb DDR2-667 | 40Gb HDD | Ubuntu 17.04

Diskord Apple MacBook A1181 Mid-2007 Core2Duo T7400 @2.16GHz | 4Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Pro x32

Firebird//Phoeniix FX-4320 | Gigabyte 990X-Gaming SLI | Asus GTS 450 | 16Gb DDR3-1600 | 2x Intel 535 250Gb | 4x 10Tb Western Digital Red | 600W Segotep custom refurb unit | Windows 10 Pro x64 // offisite backup and dad's PC

Saint Olms Apple iPhone 6 16Gb Gold

Archon Microsoft Lumia 640 LTE

Gulliver Nokia Lumia 1320

Werkfern Nokia Lumia 520

Hydromancer Acer Liquid Z220

@GoodBytes Can I now reinstall Windows 7 without having to worry about being forced onto Windows 10?

I know they brought the telemetry crap to Windows 7, but I can remove that fairly easily. Not just a security concern, but a bandwidth issue as well. My ISP is crap, and is allegedly experiencing "bandwidth exhaustion" resulting in disconnects and "DNS errors" on a nightly basis. So anything that uses more bandwidth is to be avoided.

Already filed multiple FCC complaints, the ISP claimed the issue would be fixed by April/May. It has not lol

Ah, I updated my laptop first...it went smoothly. Took about an hour and a half though...

My desktop was next, but I needed to get some work done, so I started the utility but paused the update by clicking cancel update. As I was working, I didn't notice the window closed itself and actually started updating. I was pissed when I got a pop up message "You'll be logged out to install updates"...no postpone option...just close. And so it kicked me out of my unsaved work...

I'm still unsure how I feel about the start menu though...having it show all apps all of the time feels a bit messy...I'd rather have a list of pinned apps or most used apps first then have a all apps button at the bottom of it.

Ah, it kicked me off of all of my network drives to my NAS so I have to set those up again...

Edit:

It made Dreamweaver lose all passwords to my FTP accounts for my website work...

So, it may just be me, but it seems that the anniversary update has made my computer freeze more often, heck I cant even use my tablet anymore after the update (cant undo the update either because everything crashes when I try to do anything) my tablet freezes whenever I try to do anything, from opening an app, to opening the start menu.

Installed it through windows update - BSOD when it finished installing - reverted to previous build.

Aragorn (WS): 250D | 6800k | 840 Pro 512GB | Intel 530 480GB  | Asus X99-M WS | 64GB DDR4 | Corsair HX720i | GTX 1070 | Corsair H115i | Philips BDM4350UC 43" 3840x2160 IPS

Gimli (server):  Node 304 | G4560 | ADATA XPG SX8000 128GB | 2x 5TB WD Red | ASROCK H270M-ITX/AC  | 8GB DDR4 | Seasonic 400FL

Omega (server):                 Fractal Arc Mini R2 | i3 4130 | 500GB Maxtor | 2TB WD Red : Raid 1 | 3TB Seagate Barracuda | 16GB RAM | Seasonic G-450w
Alpha (WS): 900D | 4770k | GTX 780  | 840 Pro 512GB  | GA-Z87X-OC | Corsair RM 850 | 24GB 2400mhz | Samsung S27B970D 2560x1440

||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

Update was without a problem but i had to reinstall classic custom shell because my older version wasnt compatible. I just want the windows 7 startmenu.

Second computer to update got wrecked.  First computer was an a10-7850k in an itx gigabyte f2a88xn-wifi.  That system updated although comparatively it seems a little buggy but that could be coincidence.

Second computer is an fx8350 in a sabertooth 990fx with an r9 290x.  The system tried to update on it's own after running for a few hours.  Something crashed during the way, it restarted and said autorepair would not work and gave me the option of restarting or advanced options.  This screen then froze up and I was forced to do a manual hard reset.  And now the system will not boot into windows.  Not even to the windows repair screen.

So I'm most likely going to have to completely reinstall windows 10 on the system.  Thankfully most of the software on that system is on a seperate HDD than the OS.

Now I'm concerned about even booting my laptop : /

On 7/31/2016 at 1:40 AM, GoodBytes said:

Game DVR Improved

I had to disable Game DVR so that my games wouldn't be locked to 72 FPS (half of my monitor's refresh rate).

10/10 update Microsoft /s

i5-4690K@4.5 GHz // Asus Z87-Pro // HyperX Fury 8GB DDR3-1600 // Crucial BX100 250GB // Sapphire Nitro R9 390 // EVGA SuperNOVA 750W G2 // Fractal Design Define S // be quiet! Pure Rock & Pure Wings 2 // BenQ XL2730Z // Corsair Vengeance K70 // Logitech G403 Wireless // Sennheiser HD 598 SE

I'd suggest to everyone to check important settings they have on their software and OS. I found out that my update changed settings in Samsung Magician utility. It reactivate the indexer for the OS on my SSD, thanks mate.

Minor warning points like that aside, it broke my cs go install for unknown reasons.

Changes aren't groundbreaking, but nice still.