Windows 10 Anniversary Update - Here is everything you need to know - OUT NOW!

GoodBytes

Should I force update my SP4 or should I just wait for the update to appear normally in the Windows Update?

Just now, atrash said:

Should I force update my SP4 or should I just wait for the update to appear normally in the Windows Update?

I did a force update on my desktop and nothing bad happened :)

(By the way I'm buying the Surface Pro 4 any day now).

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

13 minutes ago, Tech Inquisition said:

Upgraded my systems/notebooks no issues, except for a compatibility issue with DAEMON Tools, but I uninstalled that.

Even updated my wife's AIO and no issues there.

People still uses Daemon tools? I thought it stops as Windows can mount ISOs. I guess for old old games with disk DRM...

12 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

People still uses Daemon tools? I thought it stops as Windows can mount ISOs. I guess for old old games with disk DRM...

To be honest, I actually forgot I had it... LOL... never used it as it came with the Asus Mobo software ;)

My profile... HERE

Join the Disqussions... https://disqus.com/home/channel/techinquisition/

@GoodBytes

So I just downloaded and upgraded my windows 10 to the latest anniversary update. After the update, I tried opening my most used games and I noticed a significant lag on CSGO, turned on net graph and it seems to be showing that it's getting capped at 30fps. Last night I was playing CS:GO and is getting well above 250 fps.

I've searched about it and read that I should disable "Game DVR" in the Xbox app. Haven't tried this yet, but I would like to know some other work around for this issue, just in case disabling game DVR doesn't work. 

Oh, and I also opened dota2 but It seems to be smooth, at least on the main menu. Haven't tried playing in the new update though. 

Will try disabling game DVR first when I get home. 

7 minutes ago, Hadowken said:

@GoodBytes

So I just downloaded and upgraded my windows 10 to the latest anniversary update. After the update, I tried opening my most used games and I noticed a significant lag on CSGO, turned on net graph and it seems to be showing that it's getting capped at 30fps. Last night I was playing CS:GO and is getting well above 250 fps.

I've searched about it and read that I should disable "Game DVR" in the Xbox app. Haven't tried this yet, but I would like to know some other work around for this issue, just in case disabling game DVR doesn't work. 

Oh, and I also opened dota2 but It seems to be smooth, at least on the main menu. Haven't tried playing in the new update though. 

Will try disabling game DVR first when I get home. 

It could be that you have the always record Game DVR  option enabled. You can disable that

Got it running on my desktop, so far so good.

I don't get the purpose of the "expand" function in the start menu. Is there suppose to be like some most use programs or just empty space?

I like how you can now for Windows update, set active hours so it won't automatically restart.

For my laptop, that missing 3GB reappeared after running a repair install. And the update continue to download from where it left off. It tried to install, but it failed.

Might need to do a clean install, something I would like to avoid. Going to try other methods to get it working.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

9 minutes ago, NumLock21 said:

Got it running on my desktop, so far so good.

I don't get the purpose of the "expand" function in the start menu. Is there suppose to be like some most use programs or just empty space?

I like how you can now for Windows update, set active hours so it won't automatically restart.

Ah! The "Expand" is for your Recently Added apps list. You have that because you have too many to display. The point is to avoid displaying a massive list.

When I updated last night I noticed a few strange things like my monitor overclock being stuck back at 60hz as well as my digital vibrance being reset back to default. The other thing is the Windows.old won't allow me to delete it due to permissions and doesn't appear in disk clean up. Aside from that everything seems pretty normal. My CSGO is running just fine like before I know the guy a few posts up mentioned his was capped at 30fps.

And am I losing my mind but after I updated, my Chrome updated too I believe; is the blue highlight color on the address bar darker now?

Its seems the new update screws over people using windows 10. By not allowing to disable the lock screen, preventing microsoft ads and having microsoft download apps to your computer like candy crush. 

NEVER GIVE UP. NEVER STOP LEARNING. DONT LET THE PAST HURT YOU. YOU CAN DOOOOO IT

1 minute ago, Ramamataz said:

Its seems the new update screws over people using windows 10. By not allowing to disable the lock screen, preventing microsoft ads and having microsoft download apps to your computer like candy crush. 

Was wondering where on earth Candy Crush came from the other night as I was uninstalling some stuff LOL.

2 minutes ago, tonyeezy said:

Was wondering where on earth Candy Crush came from the other night as I was uninstalling some stuff LOL.

Looks like Windows 10 is starting to get more fishy and fishy. Who knows if they'll install something else to monitor people or hell what if a hacker manages to exploit that and upload malware to a user's computer without knowledge?

NEVER GIVE UP. NEVER STOP LEARNING. DONT LET THE PAST HURT YOU. YOU CAN DOOOOO IT

Windows 10 always had "ad apps" (I'll call it that) like Candy Crush. They are not really installed. they only install if you click on them. You just unpin them. They are more like links. These ad apps depends on your location or Windows region.

Windows Spotlight, if enable (the feature that show you different lock screen backgrounds each day based on feedback you give on the lock screen), will showcase a Windows Store app every now and then. These ads in particular pays for the license fees of these background, and push people to discover the store. I know some people got some, I never did (I do use the Store.. so maybe that is why I don't see them, or no company is paying Microsoft for ads for Canadians due to small number).

Both of these things were announced by Microsoft at the BUILD event before Windows 10 was released, and covered here in the news section.

I thought dark mode would be more like this forums night theme......

Desktop: Intel 4770k - 12GB Vengeance Pro 1866Mhz RAM - Asus Maximus VI Formula Mobo - Asus Strix 970 SLI - Cooler Master V850 PSU -  Nzxt Phantom 630 Case  - 1TB WD HDD - Samsung 840 Evo 250GB SSD - Nzxt Kraken X60 - 24" Asus VG248QE 1080p Monitor - Logitech G35 Headset -  G502 Proteus Core - Logitech G710+ Keyboard - Nzxt Hue - Windows 10

Thanks for the info. Updated today, then used "disk cleanup" to delete all the garbage on my SSD. Got 20GB free, all my files and programs work like they used to.

So far so good, tested benchmarks and I get expected performance, boot time is amazing now, just like when I clean installed W10 for the first time.

Hope it works for everyone, seems their update waves are good enough, I live in Mexico and got the update today in the morning (just decided to install it later to check everything) Hope things keep like this, improving.

Just finished updating - seems to have broken my right clicks and dialogue boxes in chrome/paint... o.O

"The wheel?" "No thanks, I'll walk, its more natural" - thus was the beginning of the doom of the Human race.
Cheese monger.

My Windows Update still hasn't pulled the Anniversary yet.  Yesterday, I attempted the manual update through MS' website.  The installer downloaded the ISO, began the install, rebooted the machine, did some more work on the install, and then rebooted the machine again.  What I was left with was: my original Windows 10.  I was able to replicate this about 5 or 6 times before I just gave up.

I'm likely doing something wrong, but I'm not sure what, yet.

Editing Rig: Mac Pro 7,1

System Specs: 3.2GHz 16-core Xeon | 96GB ECC DDR4 | AMD Radeon Pro W6800X Duo | Lots of SSD and NVMe storage |

Audio: Universal Audio Apollo Thunderbolt-3 Interface |

Displays: 3 x LG 32UL950-W displays |

Gaming Rig: PC

System Specs:  Asus ROG Crosshair X670E Extreme | AMD 7800X3D | 64GB G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO 6000MHz RAM | NVidia 4090 FE card (OC'd) | Corsair AX1500i power supply | CaseLabs Magnum THW10 case (RIP CaseLabs ) |

Audio:  Sound Blaster AE-9 card | Mackie DL32R Mixer | Sennheiser HDV820 amp | Sennheiser HD820 phones | Rode Broadcaster mic |

Display: Asus PG32UQX 4K/144Hz displayBenQ EW3280U display

Cooling:  2 x EK 140 Revo D5 Pump/Res | EK Quantum Magnitude CPU block | EK 4090FE waterblock | AlphaCool 480mm x 60mm rad | AlphaCool 560mm x 60mm rad | 13 x Noctua 120mm fans | 8 x Noctua 140mm fans | 2 x Aquaero 6XT fan controllers |

10 hours ago, Ramamataz said:

get-appxpackage -Name *candycrush* | remove-appxpackage

Open powershell and run that command.  I can't stand that kind of crap on my system either. Here's some more you could run:

get-appxpackage -Name *store* | remove-appxpackage      

get-appxpackage -Name *bing* | remove-appxpackage     

get-appxpackage -Name *solitaire* | remove-appxpackage

get-appxpackage -Name *advertising* | remove-appxpackage

get-appxpackage -Name *zune* | remove-appxpackage

You can search for all packages using get-appxpackage.  And you can remove them individually by using remove-appxpackage [full package name].  The commands above will remove several packages at once, any package that contains the string between the ** symbols.  Also, you may have to run those commands as all users on your system.  I have two users, an admin and a normal user.  I ran all of those commands with both users in order to remove all of the packages for both users.

I wish you could remove cortana and xbox but you cannot.  I have however fully disabled cortana through group policy so I'm satisfied.

@GoodBytes Some people want a clean professional system, not a junky OS pre-loaded with software they will never use.  Unpinning can hide the candycrush but I don't want to hide it, I want it off of my system.

EDIT: I forgot one of the worst ones!!!

get-appxpackage -Name *skype* | remove-appxpackage

The phone features will be the soul reason why I will update!

I always lose my phone and respond 2h late to messages so it will be very useful to have it on my pc!

I also hope that when I look for an app on the start menu it will show me the .exe and not the bloody .dll files

Thank you for the list btw!

15 minutes ago, tbake0155 said:

get-appxpackage -Name *candycrush* | remove-appxpackage

Open powershell and run that command.  I can't stand that kind of crap on my system either. Here's some more you could run:

get-appxpackage -Name *store* | remove-appxpackage      

get-appxpackage -Name *bing* | remove-appxpackage     

get-appxpackage -Name *solitaire* | remove-appxpackage

get-appxpackage -Name *advertising* | remove-appxpackage

get-appxpackage -Name *zune* | remove-appxpackage

You can search for all packages using get-appxpackage.  And you can remove them individually by using remove-appxpackage [full package name].  The commands above will remove several packages at once, any package that contains the string between the ** symbols.  Also, you may have to run those commands as all users on your system.  I have two users, an admin and a normal user.  I ran all of those commands with both users in order to remove all of the packages for both users.

I wish you could remove cortana and xbox but you cannot.  I have however fully disabled cortana through group policy so I'm satisfied.

@GoodBytes Some people want a clean professional system, not a junky OS pre-loaded with software they will never use.  Unpinning can hide the candycrush but I don't want to hide it, I want it off of my system.

EDIT: I forgot one of the worst ones!!!

get-appxpackage -Name *skype* | remove-appxpackage

Thats why i talked about Windows10 Enterprise LTSB above.

The LTSB version does not come with all those modern apps bloatware installed.

There is also no Cortana and no Edge included either.

So i´m realy currious how much data collection and telemetry tracking there is still left in the LTSB version without all that crap included.

14 minutes ago, tbake0155 said:

Some people want a clean professional system, not a junky OS pre-loaded with software they will never use.  Unpinning can hide the candycrush but I don't want to hide it, I want it off of my system.

I know this. And no, unpinning removes the link to download it. It will be your only option, and it will not be actually installed. Assuming you did click on it and it is install, then uninstalling it, will remove any trace from it, which is the beauty of Universal Apps.

I take it back... since the update my GPU idle temps always go up to 70c... I thought  it was the driver and I updated it using DDU for a full clean but it keeps doing it...

●CPU: i7-4790K w/H100i ●Mobo: MSI Z97 MPower ●RAM: Corsair 16GB Dominator ●GPU: EVGA ACX SC 780 3GB(X2) ●SSD: 850 Pro 256GB ●Case: 450D ●PSU: AX 860i ●Monitor: Asus PB278Q 1440p

For those who are complaining about the data collecting etc, but still need/want to use windows.

May I suggest "Windows 10 LTSB", it's everything you want without all the crap.

Truly the best version of windows.

CPU: 3930k  @ stock                                  RAM: 32GB RipjawsZ @ 2133Mhz       Cooling: Custom Loop
MOBO: AsRock x79 Extreme9                      SSD: 240GB Vertex 3 (OS)                     Case: HAF XB                     LG 34um95 + Ergotron MX Arm Mount - Dual Review
  GPUs: Gigabyte GTX 670 SLI                     HDD: 1TB WD Black                                PSU: Corsair AX 860                               Beyerdynamic - Custom One Pro Review

Got it working on my laptop without reinstall.

Downloaded the Windows Anniversary Update ISO and upgraded from that.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

In conclusion , nothing new, just some useless stuff packed in 5GB. Im not gonna update.... i like windows how it is right now so i wont clean my c:/ so it can't be installed... sry