Windows 10 Anniversary Update - Here is everything you need to know - OUT NOW!

GoodBytes
52 minutes ago, Dabombinable said:

Still think the start menu is awful. I'll just have to replace it again.

What can you replace it with?

17 minutes ago, huilun02 said:

Its a program that monitors and controls application/process access bandwidth to the internet.

For example I can deny all traffic to GWX.exe and Windows 7 cannot possibly proceed with the Windows 10 upgrade.

I use it to keep a close eye on the stuff I install, and handcuff those that try to 'dial home' when they are not supposed to.

That sounds useful.  Is GWX.exe for Windows update?  

Would this program be able to stop W10 from sending data back to MS?  Or stop W10 from randomly trying to update?

23 minutes ago, Bleedingyamato said:

What can you replace it with?

Just take your pick, I'm going to be re-installing start 10 after the anniversary update.

http://www.filecritic.com/windows-10-start-menu-alternatives-the-best-free-and-paid-start-menu-apps-which-you-need/

Edited by Dabombinable

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

nothing interesting :/ , not sure what i was expecting

fx-8350 @4,4Ghz/sapphire r9 fury/2x 8gb Kingstone ddr3 @2030Mhz

34 minutes ago, Dabombinable said:

Just take your pick, I'm going to be re-installing start 10 after the anniversary update.

http://www.filecritic.com/windows-10-start-menu-alternatives-the-best-free-and-paid-start-menu-apps-which-you-need/

Hmm almost used Classic shell with Win8/8.1 but ended up reverting to back Win7. :| 

[Thanks for the link, its useful] This time around I think classic shell would still be a good choice but start 10 looks pretty nice. ^_^

*edit 

It is also entirely possible I will stick to the default Start though since I have been using Continuum on WM10, so essentially using the phones start screen as the start menu so this in turn will make for more or less a seamless experience. I haven't decided yet.

Edited by SansVarnic

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

2 hours ago, huilun02 said:

Cortana can't be turned off and now wants to be on my Android phone?

Nope screw that.

Walling it with Netlimiter.

Actually Cortana can be turned off. You just have to do it differently in the update. The article you read had a very click bait title.

But did they fix LACP?

if you want to annoy me, then join my teamspeak server ts.benja.cc

3 hours ago, huilun02 said:

Cortana can't be turned off and now wants to be on my Android phone?

Nope screw that.

Walling it with Netlimiter.

It won't be on your phone if you don't install it yourself, so chill :)

Potential issues only will be on your pc.

Apparently you can disable mainly anything Cortana does,  I don't really know what's left of it at the end.

10 minutes ago, huilun02 said:

Yeah I know I can only install it on Android by myself.

I think its just really shady trying to get to our phones as well.

I wouldn't trust MS with the option of really disabling stuff. Its been proven a lot telemetry data is still being collected even with all options turned off. Heck some updates even turn them back on. Simply blocking is letting it off lightly, when I can mangle the files beyond operation, change ownership and set as read-only.

Yeah but unfortunately seamless digital experience is the future. It has been in the apple salespeech for a bit of time that you can view phone notification on your computer and so on. That's the logical step for them to make they product viable. For the average person, a phone is enough to do anything they want. A computer is just able to make those tasks more comfortable for them (best input method variety, bigger display and multitasking etc.). So to get those eople to get computers they have to be able to do the same things as phones and more and better.

For people like us, it doesn't seem very appealing because we know the different purposes our machines have. But that's not targeted to us :)

As for Cortana, I haven't gotten into it enough to be relevant in the debate. In addition I don't mind Metadata to be sent, since well,  it's done very often by so many people, and it isn't an invasion of privacy.

It's like sure my house is on Google maps, but it doesn't give away my privacy.

3 hours ago, Dabombinable said:

Thank you for the link.  It's nice to know there's some options to customize the start menu.

Here comes the tinfoil hats again.

CPU: Intel Core i7 4790K

CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15

RAM: Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB 1866MHz

GPU: Asus Strix RTX 2060 OC

Motherboard: Asus Maximus VII Hero 

Storage: 1TB, 500GB, 250GB SSD's, 1TB SSHD

Case: Corsair Carbide Air 540

Having a true Linux bash is damn good news for someone coding websites for examples. I think this is the "killer" feature that will push me to upgrade in fact.

-------

Current Rig

-------

Im so excited to install this on my SP4. That ink space feature would improve my tablet usage significantly as a daily note taking/sketch device.

No dark mode for file explorer :( need that! I know there's unofficial one though.

Still all around looks to be quite a good update.

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Corsair K63 Cherry MX red | Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

This update is going to suck. Hopefully all of my custom settings dont get reverted back yet again. Was hoping for no more forced updates.

Windows 10 Edu | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | Ryzen 9 3950x | 4x 16GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB| ROG Strix GeForce® RTX 2080 SUPER™ Advanced edition | Samsung 980 PRO 500GB + Samsung 970 Evo Plus 2TB + 8TB Seagate Barracuda | EVGA Supernova 650 G2 | Alienware AW3418DW + LG 34uc87c + Dell u3419w | Asus Zephyrus G14

10 hours ago, GoodBytes said:

- snip -

Thanks for posting this. Did they speed up the SMS via cortana. Last time I tried it, it was too damned slow to be usable.

Windows 10 Edu | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | Ryzen 9 3950x | 4x 16GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB| ROG Strix GeForce® RTX 2080 SUPER™ Advanced edition | Samsung 980 PRO 500GB + Samsung 970 Evo Plus 2TB + 8TB Seagate Barracuda | EVGA Supernova 650 G2 | Alienware AW3418DW + LG 34uc87c + Dell u3419w | Asus Zephyrus G14

1 minute ago, Scruffy90 said:

Thanks for posting this. Did they speed up the SMS via cortana. Last time I tried it, it was too damned slow to be usable.

The last build that I could use it (because they removed it for Windows 10 Mobile), it was fine, they got it working faster. Not instant, but fine. I mean it need to travel a long way to get to your phone, so it is understandable on that front, especially that your phone is probably in "sleep" mode, so there is that delay as well.

3 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

The last build that I could use it (because they removed it for Windows 10 Mobile), it was fine, they got it working faster. Not instant, but fine. I mean it need to travel a long way to get to your phone, so it is understandable on that front, especially that your phone is probably in "sleep" mode, so there is that delay as well.

I've been looking for a decent replacement to LG's OSP (since it was discontinued years ago) and Mighty Text (since they are no longer entirely free). Guess ill have to test it out. Do you know if its been reverting settings and registry entries? I know a lot of people said this was an issue during the early days of windows 10.

6 hours ago, huilun02 said:

Yeah I know I can only install it on Android by myself.

I think its just really shady trying to get to our phones as well.

I wouldn't trust MS with the option of really disabling stuff. Its been proven a lot telemetry data is still being collected even with all options turned off. Heck some updates even turn them back on. Simply blocking is letting it off lightly, when I can mangle the files beyond operation, change ownership and set as read-only.

I bet you'd turn a blind eye to Google releasing Google Now on the desktop 9_9

Or how about how Apple is gonna include Siri in macOS Sierra? Hmm? Anything shady about that?

Just now, huilun02 said:

I can choose not to use Google Now on my Android phone or desktop

I can choose not to use Apple devices. In fact I don't own one. People who need OSX/iOS? Sucks to be them.

I need to use Windows. MS doesn't give us a choice not to have Cortana (at least without going back to W8/7)

So I apologetically give them the finger. 

Well good thing you don't need Cortana on your phone then, right?

All is fun and dandy, but what I really want is improved OS stability and performance.

Looks like Microsoft only cares about the UI and the UWP stuff. >:(

Bonus wish: Aero for Windows 10. But that's never gonna happen. 9_9

The problem is that this is an nVidia product and scoring any nVidia product a "zero" is also highly predictive of the number of nVidia products the reviewer will receive for review in the future.

On 2015-01-28 at 5:24 PM, Victorious Secret said:

Only yours, you don't shitpost on the same level that we can, mainly because this thread is finally dead and should be locked.

On 2016-06-07 at 11:25 PM, patrickjp93 said:

I wasn't wrong. It's extremely rare that I am. I provided sources as well. Different devs can disagree. Further, we now have confirmed discrepancy from Twitter about he use of the pre-release 1080 driver in AMD's demo despite the release 1080 driver having been out a week prior.

On 2016-09-10 at 4:32 PM, Hikaru12 said:

You apparently haven't seen his responses to questions on YouTube. He is very condescending and aggressive in his comments with which there is little justification. He acts totally different in his videos. I don't necessarily care for this content style and there is nothing really unique about him or his channel. His endless dick jokes and toilet humor are annoying as well.

I forgot to mention (now added) how to disable the "Hey Cortana" stuff, and any linking with your account:

1. Click on the search box on the task bar > Notebook (right bellow the house icon) >  About me > Click on your account > A panel will open, click on your account > Sign out
  2. Start > Settings > Privacy > Speech, Inking, and Typing. Click on "Stop getting to know me"
  3. To clear your stuff: Start > Settings > Privacy > Speech, Inking, and Typing > Go to Bing and manage personal info for all your device > Clear.

To clear any advertisement data on you:

1. Start > Settings > Privacy > Speech, Inking, and Typing > Go to Bing and manage personal info for all your device > click on "Microsoft Advertising", and turn off all options. (you may need to click on "Sign in to change" and login to the Microsoft account you are using with your account)
  2. Start > Settings > Privacy > General. And turn off: "Let app use my advertising ID..."