Help

Joelbanks5

So I live in Florida and I have My gaming room that's pretty much just half of my garage with a wall seperating it and I need an AC to cool it down and a dehumidifier to you know dehumidify the air to something that's comfortable for people and not bad for my family PC and other electronics. I did a little research myself but I find buying things like this a bit sketchy (never know what you'll get) so I'm looking to the LTT community for help. 

So I'd like something that's an all in one kinda deal ya know. Also since its in the garage I don't have windows and I can't have wall ones either. So basically just portable ones, and for price is like to keep it cheap as possible while still getting the most bang for my buck that does what I need it to do. And since its in a gaming room it needs to be quiet so it doesn't interrupt my gaming. 

Also so I do have some vent kinda things in the wall so I can put the vents for it there. They're just like 1 cinder block wide (idk how wide that is but I'm sure if it's a little longer than one cinder block I can figure something out)

You can get windows from the microsoft page and it does not require a wall, only a firewall which im guessing you have.

Get a portable AC.

Elemental 

Spoiler

Intel i5 6500 @3.8ghz - 8GB HyperX - 600w Apex PSU - GTX 1060 G1 GIGABYTE 6GB - s340 Black - 240gb Toshiba Q300 - Cooler master TX3i - MSI z170-A PRO.

Old Build (sold for 290€)

Spoiler

Intel i3 540 @ 3.9ghz (On stock cooler, Hits 80c max) - 8gb ram - 500w power supply - P7H55-M LE  120gb SSD - Talius Drakko case

Project Frug 50$ Water loop

Laptops

Spoiler

13" Macbook Air - Alienware m14x r2 -  2009 15" Macbook Pro (I was give all of these and would never buy them myself)

1 minute ago, Julian5 said:

You can get windows from the microsoft page and it does not require a wall, only a fire wall which im guessing you have.

Haha, but still I need an answer. I'd rather not buy an AC and it turns out to be a $200 piece of crap.

12 minutes ago, Joelbanks5 said:

Haha, but still I need an answer. I'd rather not buy an AC and it turns out to be a $200 piece of crap.

I reccomend you add a fan to that vent, http://www.ebay.com/itm/4-100mm-Extractor-Exhaust-Fan-Bathroom-Toilet-Window-Wall-Humidity-Ventilator-/221451328144?hash=item338f871a90:g:uSYAAMXQuCdThsi8

this is just an example, you can find these at tons of shops, or just add a normal fan

Elemental 

Spoiler

Intel i5 6500 @3.8ghz - 8GB HyperX - 600w Apex PSU - GTX 1060 G1 GIGABYTE 6GB - s340 Black - 240gb Toshiba Q300 - Cooler master TX3i - MSI z170-A PRO.

Old Build (sold for 290€)

Spoiler

Intel i3 540 @ 3.9ghz (On stock cooler, Hits 80c max) - 8gb ram - 500w power supply - P7H55-M LE  120gb SSD - Talius Drakko case

Project Frug 50$ Water loop

Laptops

Spoiler

13" Macbook Air - Alienware m14x r2 -  2009 15" Macbook Pro (I was give all of these and would never buy them myself)

Alright so I have a 400 square foot not insulated room in Florida. I need to cool it and remove humidity. I found 2 ACs and I need help choosing which one. 

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01CS3JJ5I/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1469947782&sr=8-1&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_QL65&keywords=HL14ces+AC

2 minutes ago, GreezyJeezy said:

just get one you put in your window 

It's not that simple. I already got a random one that had high reviews and it turned out to be crap for my space because my room ended up being too big for it.

and window ones are noisier.

Just now, Joelbanks5 said:

It's not that simple. I already got a random one that had high reviews and it turned out to be crap for my space because my room ended up being too big for it.

and window ones are noisier.

i guess i just like that noise to fall asleep too, but eveyone is different, id get the honeywell one if i were you. 

Just now, GreezyJeezy said:

i guess i just like that noise to fall asleep too, but eveyone is different, id get the honeywell one if i were you. 

Can you explain why?

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/news/2014/06/how-to-size-up-your-air-conditioner-needs/index.htm

Based on the math presented in this, your AC would need to be between 8,000-10,000 BTU minimum for effective cooling. 

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

2 minutes ago, Joelbanks5 said:

Can you explain why?

well they both have the square footage you need. i say the honeywell becase it has more so you know it will work, and since the specs are pretty much the same other then the honeywell having 100 more square feet. and for me personally money is not an issue, but they both are what you need its just what your willing to spend 

19 minutes ago, legacy99 said:

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/news/2014/06/how-to-size-up-your-air-conditioner-needs/index.htm

Based on the math presented in this, your AC would need to be between 8,000-10,000 BTU minimum for effective cooling. 

That's for window ACs, I'm looking for a portable AC. 

I used this guide

http://m.homedepot.com/c/air_conditioners_HT_BG_AP

Honeywell all the way.

The only annoying things with some of the 3-in-1s is that they don't use any sort of tub to catch moisture, so you have to run a hose into a bucket or something in order to drain it, but it has to be propped up to drain well.

There isn't really much more to say than that.

46 minutes ago, huilun02 said:

I'm no all-knowing jesus, never used such a product or know much about technical details.

But I think warranty is a good indicator on how much faith the manufacturer has in its product to deliver as advertised.

The Honeywell unit has a 5 year warranty. The Whynter unit isn't even close to matching that.

However reviews say the Honeywell have arrived with missing parts.

Just my two cents.

Good luck and stay cool.

Thank you, most helpful so far.