need air cooler

Tiwaz

Hey guys!

I need a decent air cooler for an i5 skylake (not sure what model yet). It should support LGA 1151 (Z170) and have a maximum size of 150mm, according to Corsairs website the Carbide r100 only supports up to 150mm, so not even the CM hyper 212 evo fits, which is a shame. It shouldnt cost more than 50€. Also, is the LGA 1151 mount the same as the LGA 1150 mount? 

thanks in advance!

5 minutes ago, EnemySp0tt3d said:

That case looks like it can fit a 212..... its not a small case.

i thought so as well, but i dont wanna take risks and buy one that fits according to their website, also i dont wanna get one of those flat fan coolers, i mean the ones, that have the fan flat on the top of the heatsink.

Cryorig H7 is a 145mm cooler, performs great (a bit better than a 212 evo) looks great, and sounds great. its compatible with almost any motherboard (including 1151) and does not overhang on the RAM so its compatible with any sized RAM.

That sounds like the cooler you are looking for, and its not terribly expensive either.

4 minutes ago, Zyndo said:

Cryorig H7 is a 145mm cooler, performs great (a bit better than a 212 evo) looks great, and sounds great. its compatible with almost any motherboard (including 1151) and does not overhang on the RAM so its compatible with any sized RAM.

That sounds like the cooler you are looking for, and its not terribly expensive either.

that cooler fucking costs 66€....no thanks, but thats too expensive...maybe i wil lfind another one

1 minute ago, Tiwaz said:

that cooler fucking costs 66€....no thanks, but thats too expensive...maybe i wil lfind another one

My apologies, I didn't realize it would cost so much in your area. in USA that thing usually goes for less than 40

5 minutes ago, Zyndo said:

My apologies, I didn't realize it would cost so much in your area. in USA that thing usually goes for less than 40

products are being sold more epxensive in the EU, because spending capacity is higher on average, also there are 20% sales tax where i live as well.

19 minutes ago, Tiwaz said:

products are being sold more epxensive in the EU, because spending capacity is higher on average, also there are 20% sales tax where i live as well.

Not sure the spending capacity has much to do with it; companies would be able to easily undercut each other's prices if it did. Mainly it's because of the higher VAT percentages and the comparatively higher costs because of smaller distribution networks.

Anyway, if you really are limited to 150mm and don't want to exceed it, that's slightly too little for most tower coolers, and you'd have to go with a flat one. However, most cases use a very large margin of error on cooler clearance, so there's every chance that a BeQuiet Pure Rock (155mm) would fit, and that happens to be pretty much the best budget cooler out there as well, mad though most people are about the CM Hyper 212 Evo.

Main Rig "Melanie" (click!) -- AMD Ryzen7 1800X • Gigabyte Aorus X370-Gaming 5 • 3x G.SKILL TridentZ 3200 8GB • Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming • Corsair RM750x • Phanteks Enthoo Pro --

HTPC "Keira" -- AMD Sempron 2650 • MSI AM1I • 2x Kingston HyperX Fury DDR3 1866 8GB • ASUS ENGTX 560Ti • Corsair SF450 • Phanteks Enthoo EVOLV Shift --

Laptop "Abbey" -- AMD E-350 • HP 646982-001 • 1x Samsung DDR3 1333 4GB • AMD Radeon HD 6310 • HP MU06 Notebook Battery • HP 635 case --

13 hours ago, rjfaber91 said:

Not sure the spending capacity has much to do with it; companies would be able to easily undercut each other's prices if it did. Mainly it's because of the higher VAT percentages and the comparatively higher costs because of smaller distribution networks.

Anyway, if you really are limited to 150mm and don't want to exceed it, that's slightly too little for most tower coolers, and you'd have to go with a flat one. However, most cases use a very large margin of error on cooler clearance, so there's every chance that a BeQuiet Pure Rock (155mm) would fit, and that happens to be pretty much the best budget cooler out there as well, mad though most people are about the CM Hyper 212 Evo.

those two coolers perform the same as far as i know. I think i am gonna  risk it and go wit hthe pure rock, does it have thermal compound included?

or I think I might as well go with the 20€ more expensive 200R, that supports up to 165mm cpu cooler height, but the window version only has a small window...

49 minutes ago, Tiwaz said:

those two coolers perform the same as far as i know. I think i am gonna  risk it and go wit hthe pure rock, does it have thermal compound included?

Performance-wise they're nearly the same, but the Pure Rock is quieter than the Hyper 212 Evo, and a lot better looking too.

Main Rig "Melanie" (click!) -- AMD Ryzen7 1800X • Gigabyte Aorus X370-Gaming 5 • 3x G.SKILL TridentZ 3200 8GB • Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming • Corsair RM750x • Phanteks Enthoo Pro --

HTPC "Keira" -- AMD Sempron 2650 • MSI AM1I • 2x Kingston HyperX Fury DDR3 1866 8GB • ASUS ENGTX 560Ti • Corsair SF450 • Phanteks Enthoo EVOLV Shift --

Laptop "Abbey" -- AMD E-350 • HP 646982-001 • 1x Samsung DDR3 1333 4GB • AMD Radeon HD 6310 • HP MU06 Notebook Battery • HP 635 case --

3 minutes ago, rjfaber91 said:

Performance-wise they're nearly the same, but the Pure Rock is quieter than the Hyper 212 Evo, and a lot better looking too.

the 212 evo cooler is so darn sexy

1 hour ago, Tiwaz said:

the 212 evo cooler is so darn sexy

You think so? Well, aesthetics are a very subjective thing of course, but the exposed fins and heatpipes make the 212 Evo look rather cheap and amateurish to me...

On 7/30/2016 at 10:53 AM, EnemySp0tt3d said:

That case looks like it can fit a 212..... its not a small case.

It's pretty compact for ATX. That being said, it does fit a 212 Evo. https://pcpartpicker.com/b/zR2RsY

That being said, it isn't usually the best option available nowadays.

9 hours ago, Tiwaz said:

It does come with thermal paste and should fit.

If you would like some other recommendations, it would help to link us to where you're shopping. If not, the Pure Rock should fit without an issue.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

On 31.7.2016 at 1:05 PM, rjfaber91 said:

You think so? Well, aesthetics are a very subjective thing of course, but the exposed fins and heatpipes make the 212 Evo look rather cheap and amateurish to me...

22 hours ago, WoodenMarker said:

It's pretty compact for ATX. That being said, it does fit a 212 Evo. https://pcpartpicker.com/b/zR2RsY

That being said, it isn't usually the best option available nowadays.

It does come with thermal paste and should fit.

If you would like some other recommendations, it would help to link us to where you're shopping. If not, the Pure Rock should fit without an issue.

On the 212 evo you can see the copper pipes, any cooler with copper heatpipes performs at least decent

1 hour ago, Tiwaz said:

On the 212 evo you can see the copper pipes, any cooler with copper heatpipes performs at least decent

Well yes, but the BeQuiet! Pure Rock also has copper heatpipes. In fact, so does every modern tower cooler I know of. It's just that the Pure Rock has aluminium caps over the ends of the copper pipes, because they're not very aesthetically pleasing when left exposed...

On 1.8.2016 at 7:58 PM, rjfaber91 said:

Well yes, but the BeQuiet! Pure Rock also has copper heatpipes. In fact, so does every modern tower cooler I know of. It's just that the Pure Rock has aluminium caps over the ends of the copper pipes, because they're not very aesthetically pleasing when left exposed...

I think, that copper looks better than aluminium x)

On 8/1/2016 at 0:51 PM, Tiwaz said:

Meh, I disagree with that statement, as I've seen some really crappy coolers with copper pipes. Think about the Deepcool Gammaxx 400 as well. It outperforms the 212 family at a lower price point, and it's only 153mm (I believe). 

Aerocool DS are the best fans you've never tried.

On 4.8.2016 at 4:40 PM, aisle9 said:

Meh, I disagree with that statement, as I've seen some really crappy coolers with copper pipes. Think about the Deepcool Gammaxx 400 as well. It outperforms the 212 family at a lower price point, and it's only 153mm (I believe). 

the gammax 400 is a copy of the 212 evo...

6 minutes ago, Tiwaz said:

the gammax 400 is a copy of the 212 evo...

If you mean that in the sense of, "It's a tower heatsink with a fan attached," sure, but then, the EVO would be a copy of plenty of other things.

Aerocool DS are the best fans you've never tried.

On 2016-07-30 at 11:40 AM, Tiwaz said:

Hey guys!

I need a decent air cooler for an i5 skylake (not sure what model yet). It should support LGA 1151 (Z170) and have a maximum size of 150mm, according to Corsairs website the Carbide r100 only supports up to 150mm, so not even the CM hyper 212 evo fits, which is a shame. It shouldnt cost more than 50€. Also, is the LGA 1151 mount the same as the LGA 1150 mount? 

thanks in advance!

Here I found this review/overview of the 100r, should give you some perspective on what will fit for cpu cooler.

Case - Fractal Design Arc Mini R2 : Mobo - Asus Maximus VI Gene : PSU - Corsair AX760 : CPU - Intel i7 4790k w/ EK-Supremacy EVO Copper/Acetal Water Block  : Memory - Corsair Vengence Pro 24gb 1600mhz : GPU - Evga GTX 780 Ti Classified w/ EK-FC780 GTX Classy - Acetal+Nickel Water Block : Storage - Samsung 840 Evo 250gb & 850 Evo 1tb SSDs, 2x 6TB External HDDs : Fans - 5x Noctua NF-F12 & 1x NF-S12A : Display - 24in Benq XL2420TE : Rads - Darkside LPX360 & LP240 : Pump/Res - EK-XRES 140 D5 Vario Pump

• 2 weeks later...
On 6.8.2016 at 0:10 AM, aisle9 said:

If you mean that in the sense of, "It's a tower heatsink with a fan attached," sure, but then, the EVO would be a copy of plenty of other things.

I actually ordered the bk009, because the 212 evo wouldnt be shipped to my country atm and the bk900 is a bit cheaper