Oculus Rift teardown shows bill of materials and manufacturing just slightly over 200$

source: http://blog.ihs.com/oculus-rift-teardown-shows-vr-headset-design-to-be-intricate

via: http://www.roadtovr.com/oculus-rift-components-cost-around-200-new-teardown-suggests/

The Oculus Rift virtual reality (VR) headset sports a complex mechanical design with semiconductor content supplied by a wide array of manufacturers, and the headset accounts for the single biggest part of its overall manufacturing cost, according to analysis performed by the Teardowns & Cost Benchmarking team of IHS Markit Technology.
As only one of a few virtual reality headsets available in the market today, the complex design of the Rift is to be expected given VR’s ambitious agenda in seeking to provide an immersive gaming and entertainment experience. However, opportunities may come in the future to simplify design. Most products, after their initial production run and market rollout, tend to go through some form of design review that results in a more elegant solution to previously thorny issues. The Rift headset contains a tremendous amount of mechanical and electromechanical components, and some consolidation here is expected in the future as the product evolves.

Rift's main board:

Spoiler

image_1.JPG

Rift's sensor PCB:

Spoiler

image_2.jpg

and the estimated bill:

Spoiler

breakdown.jpg

the retail price for the Rift is 600$ (including shipping)

so, it looks like FaceBook is making quite a huge profit on the Rift

normally I wouldn't have a problem, it's a buyers market .. but! they also make money from the software they sell on their store - it would stand to reason that for VR to seriously take off, they could've sold the unit at a lower price, still reserving some profit margin

if I recall right, Palmer Luckey originally hinted at a ~400$ price for the Rift, that would've been more in line with the original view of what Oculus Rift supposed to be

following that original price, plus a system paired with a RX480 or GTX1060, could've potentially brought VR to mainstream consumer - but they had to get greedy -_-

---

here's the deal on why I think FaceBook got greedy - it not because "early adopter's fee" nor is it because of Reasearch and Development (since you know ... allegations that both Carmack and Luckey "stole" tech from their previous employers)

consoles .. fucking consoles!

both SONY and Microsoft sold this generation of consoles at a loss: http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2427757,00.asp they made their profits of the software

those didn't had R&D costs? wages to pay? no ?!?!

and I'll be darn, they're still around and kicking - SONY sold 40+mil of the darn things (PS4): http://www.ubergizmo.com/2016/04/sony-40m-ps4-sold/

---

speaking of R&D ... what R&D ?!

Carmack stands accused by Zenimax for stealing source code when he left for Oculus; there is a Zenimax vs FaceBook suit: http://www.roadtovr.com/facebook-ceo-zuckerberg-to-testify-in-oculus-vs-zenimax-lawsuit/
Luckey himself was accused by his former employee of stealing know-how when he started the Oculus kickstarter: http://venturebeat.com/2016/01/19/oculus-vr-founder-palmer-luckey-must-face-breach-on-contract-lawsuit-judge-rules/

Edited by zMeul

Honestly I want the rift to fail since I hate facebook, so if they want to sell it overpriced and thus get less sales/adoptions overall let them it's not like the first gen of VR really performs well enough for me to care anyway tbh.

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/ Tier Breakdown (My understanding)--1 Godly, 2 Great, 3 Good, 4 Average, 5 Meh, 6 Bad, 7 Awful

alright ppl, lets just forget about all the RnD and all the old prototypes that they worked on to make this thing and like forget all the software developed for it and basically forget about all the marketing costs and money spent on supporting it. 

Spoiler
Spoiler

AMD 5000 Series Ryzen 7 5800X| MSI MAG X570 Tomahawk WiFi | G.SKILL Trident Z RGB 32GB (2 * 16GB) DDR4 3200MHz CL16-18-18-38 | Asus GeForce GTX 3080Ti STRIX | SAMSUNG 980 PRO 500GB PCIe NVMe Gen4 SSD M.2 + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB PCIe NVMe M.2 (2280) Gen3 | Cooler Master V850 Gold V2 Modular | Corsair iCUE H115i RGB Pro XT | Cooler Master Box MB511 | ASUS TUF Gaming VG259Q Gaming Monitor 144Hz, 1ms, IPS, G-Sync | Logitech G 304 Lightspeed | Logitech G213 Gaming Keyboard |

PCPartPicker 

2 minutes ago, vorticalbox said:

if you ignore Research and development costs and the cost of manufacturing sure. Huge profit.

what R&D? they are not making space rockets, everything in a VR headset is already available in one form or the other

mind you, the prototype used smartphone screens

the only development is done software side, and they already make money on that

There is Research and Development cost which they HAD put in. There is Labour and salaries of Manager, Supervisor etc. There is advertising. Other manufacturing costs (repairing machines at factory, paying for electricity and water etc at factory, etc) And then there is profit. 

You really think it's alot?

Hardcore Hardware Whore | Check out my Blog for for Latest Tech News and more | Cricket Fan | Weapons Nut | 

Just now, zMeul said:

what R&D? they are not making space rockets, everything in a VR headset is already available in one form or the other

as @Rohith_Kumar_Sp just pointed out what about marketing too? you think its cheap throwing parts together then endlessly testing fir errors? then add in the cost of the developers and all the work they have to put in.

¸„»°'´¸„»°'´ Vorticalbox `'°«„¸`'°«„¸
`'°«„¸¸„»°'´¸„»°'´`'°«„¸Scientia Potentia est  ¸„»°'´`'°«„¸`'°«„¸¸„»°'´

Just now, vorticalbox said:

as @Rohith_Kumar_Sp just pointed out what about marketing too? you think its cheap throwing parts together then endlessly testing fir errors? then add in the cost of the developers and all the work they have to put in.

I haven't touched the SW side and won't touch it

the HW cannot be fixed once it's delivered, it can only be recalled

---

they are making huge profit on each Rift sold and they are making profit on the SW that goes trough their Oculus store - otherwise it would've failed already

3 minutes ago, Humbug said:

err

don't get me started ...

I'm guessing you're already aware Carmak was accused by Zenimax for stealing their source code - and there is a lawsuit against FB for this

so .. when you talk about R&D ... what R&D?!?!

if I recall, even Luckey was accused by his former employee of stealing VR tech or know how before he went on kickstaring Oculus

Just now, zMeul said:

don't get me started ...

I'm guessing you're already aware Carmak was accused by Zenimax for stealing their source code

It takes money to buy stuff to make prototypes. 

Hardcore Hardware Whore | Check out my Blog for for Latest Tech News and more | Cricket Fan | Weapons Nut | 

2 minutes ago, abhigyan001 said:

It takes money to buy stuff to make prototypes. 

I'm guessing you conveniently forgot there was a kickstarter that got them nearly 2.5 mil USD?!

and they sold out to FaceBook for 2bil USD?!

ha!

Just now, zMeul said:

I'm guessing you conveniently forgot there was a kickstarter ?!

Okay even if you minus R&D. Look at my comment above. It'll explain.

You clearly don't seem to know how industries work.

8 minutes ago, zMeul said:

don't get me started ...

I'm guessing you're already aware Carmak was accused by Zenimax for stealing their source code - and there is a lawsuit against FB for this

What I know is that Zenimax accused Carmack of starting VR R&D while he was still employed at id.

Carmack admits this. But says he didn't steal any code.

I think we don't have any facts apart from that right? Are you saying that Oculus didn't do R&D. I know they got a lot of R&D from Carmack and from Valve but I don't think they were idling for years either.

9 minutes ago, zMeul said:

they are making huge profit on each Rift sold

-they have offices

-they pay employees

-they created and maintain oculus home software and SDK+API

-they pay 3rd party devs for store exclusives

-as mentioned above they spent years on R&D and prototyping

2 minutes ago, zMeul said:

don't get me started ...

You have no fucking clue what R&D actually is, do you? They spent several YEARS developing various prototypes, researching how to combat motion sickness, testing what the best solutions would be for CV1. Developing, what four different prototypes that they showed off. Only one of which was covered by their Kickstarter (and likely not even fully covered by it). You don't have to fully develop all of your own hardware to have R&D costs, you just have to do RESEARCH and DEVELOPMENT of any kind.

7 minutes ago, Humbug said:

What I know is that Zenimax accused Carmack of starting VR R&D while he was still employed at id.

Carmack admits this. But says he didn't steal any code.

the suit started in 2014, if I recall; the judge already deneid FB's motion to dismiss

and last I heard, Zuckerberg testified

no merit? I think there's plenty

and Total Recall Technologies suit against Luckey himself!?

this whole company was built on shady "stuff"

---

last time I talked about the ridiculous prices of VR headsets I compared them with consoles

SONY and MS made a loss on each unit sold, their big income comes from the software: http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2427757,00.asp

Not stealing per se'depending on the case. That the code or idea was while in contract with the other company. Therefor the company they where employed by should have the intellectual property. 

OR did a few rounds of VC and FB paid a pretty penny so yes for the accountants there is quite the fixed cost  attached to each unit. I haven't looked however I'm sure we would find this all fits under GAAP. 

I sometimes wonder if Occulus' greatest sin was trying to have a competing service to Steam. I say this having a DK2 and canceling a Rift preorder because I have decided to wait things out and avoid another painful early adopter tax. :)

It's nice to see everyone's pretty much on the same page, and realizes that there are a lot more costs involved in bringing a product to market than just a simple BOM. It wasn't too long ago everyone would be crying that it didn't cost what $249!!

19 minutes ago, zMeul said:

Errmm...right. I don't think you quite get how hardware is designed.

18 minutes ago, abhigyan001 said:

There is Research and Development cost which they HAD put in. There is Labour and salaries of Manager, Supervisor etc. There is advertising. Other manufacturing costs (repairing machines at factory, paying for electricity and water etc at factory, etc) And then there is profit. 

You really think it's alot?

To be fair it's extremely unlikely they have their own factories to manufacture it.

But the rest is spot on.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Just now, zMeul said:

the suit started in 2014, if I recall; the judge already deneid FB's motion to dismiss

You're making claims based on what? Hearsay?. A couple companies that may or may not be telling the truth or are just after a piece of the Facebook money? Unless you have actually seen the evidence and have actual knowledge of what went on you are making broad judgments based on nothing more than your own, likely incredibly bias, opinion. In other words: You're pulling your opinions out of your ass. If FB decides to settle out of court for assloads of money or they lose the cases, then there will be something to go on.

1 minute ago, zMeul said:

the suit started in 2014, if I recall

the judge already deneid FB's motion to dismiss

what do you think that Carmack did which was wrong?

9 minutes ago, dizmo said:

Errmm...right. I don't think you quite get how hardware is designed.

I don't!?!!?

check my post above where I talk about SONY and MS selling their latest consoles at a loss :dry:

do you know how many PS4 units SONY sold to date? above 40mil units: http://www.ubergizmo.com/2016/04/sony-40m-ps4-sold/

in two and 1/2 fucking years!

---

as for VR, the analyst's predictions have already been "downgraded" couple of times