Hey, looking for a pair of open-back headphones for my dad!

dorirot9

Hey, my dad`s birthday is coming up soon and I`m going to buy him a pair of good headphones. I want to give him the best listening experience (we have very good amp/reciver already, so stuff like impdence or power wont be a problem). I`m looking for something in the range of 100-150$, 200$ if they (say amazon) ship to Israel. Any recommendations? I`ve already looked at the HD598, or the ATH-M50X, but I just want to hear opinions.

Thanks alot in advence for helping!

ATH-M50X listening to those is definitely a treat, but I use them for studio work too which is kinda what they're tuned for, whereas the HD598 might be more attuned to pleasure listening, either one would be a fantastic choice.

www.shawngmusic.com

M50x are: Overpriced, over hyped, bit muddy mids, sharp highs, bad in comfort, not open back, no soundstage. A lot of older people tend to how not that great of a hearing when it comes to the highs, so they like the highs to be a bit boosted, so maybe some grado headphones would be nice. Does your dad have any preferred sound signature?

Before you buy amp and dac.  My thoughts on the M50x  Ultimate Ears Reference monitor review I might have a thing for audio...

My main Headphones and IEMs:  K612 pro, HD 25 and Ultimate Ears Reference Monitor, HD 580 with HD 600 grills

DAC and AMP: RME ADI 2 DAC

Speakers: Genelec 8040, System Audio SA205

Receiver: Denon AVR-1612

Desktop: R7 1700, GTX 1080  RX 580 8GB and other stuff

Laptop: ThinkPad P50: i7 6820HQ, M2000M. ThinkPad T420s: i7 2640M, NVS 4200M

Feel free to pm me if you have a question for me or quote me. If you want to hear what I have to say about something just tag me.

5 minutes ago, Dackzy said:

M50x are: Overpriced, over hyped, bit muddy mids, sharp highs, bad in comfort, not open back, no soundstage. A lot of older people tend to how not that great of a hearing when it comes to the highs, so they like the highs to be a bit boosted, so maybe some grado headphones would be nice. Does your dad have any preferred sound signature?

Something significant , not that I know about. But he does listen to mostly vocal music (david broza, cat stevens, mercedes sosa) so I guess that something with more defined mid highs would be good for him.

3 minutes ago, dorirot9 said:

Something significant , not that I know about. But he does listen to mostly vocal music (david broza, cat stevens, mercedes sosa) so I guess that something with more defined mid highs would be good for him.

well you could maybe trick him into trying aome grado headphones... The K612 also comes to my mind, I own them and I would say that they have clear and clean mids and good highs for the price, BUT they don't have that much bass and they are very analytical sounding. Some HD558 might also be a good option. I am a little wasted right now after yesterday (it was a long day), but if I remember more headphones that would fit that then I will come back.

Before you buy amp and dac.  My thoughts on the M50x  Ultimate Ears Reference monitor review I might have a thing for audio...

My main Headphones and IEMs:  K612 pro, HD 25 and Ultimate Ears Reference Monitor, HD 580 with HD 600 grills

Feel free to pm me if you have a question for me or quote me. If you want to hear what I have to say about something just tag me.

2 minutes ago, Dackzy said:

well you could maybe trick him into trying aome grado headphones... The K612 also comes to my mind, I own them and I would say that they have clear and clean mids and good highs for the price, BUT they don't have that much bass and they are very analytical sounding. Some HD558 might also be a good option. I am a little wasted right now after yesterday (it was a long day), but if I remember more headphones that would fit that then I will come back.

Well, you see , there`s no one in here that imports grado`s... but thanks for the advice!

2 minutes ago, dorirot9 said:

Well, you see , there`s no one in here that imports grado`s... but thanks for the advice!

huh, does a friend own a pair? Do you have a headphone/hifi store? Because then you could get him in there and then act like you want something, but say that you want his opinion on them :D

1 hour ago, Dackzy said:

huh, does a friend own a pair? Do you have a headphone/hifi store? Because then you could get him in there and then act like you want something, but say that you want his opinion on them :D

Well, none of my friends has one (or any pair of GOOD headphones) ... stores dont have grado, but he does know hes getting a pair of headphones.

Own a pair of HD 598's, they are epic tbf! also do not listen to people who say the 558's and the 598's sound the same, I own both and have done for a year, there is definitely a difference

12 hours ago, ledwaan said:

Own a pair of HD 598's, they are epic tbf! also do not listen to people who say the 558's and the 598's sound the same, I own both and have done for a year, there is definitely a difference

They sound 95% the same.

Not worth the extra cash, plus a simple mod can make 558 into 598

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."