PWM Hub question

Justhavocman

Hello , so i just replaced by case with the Phanteks P400 which comes with 2 fans , i also replaced my cooler with the 212x to which i added two  Cooler Master  Silencio FP 120 putting the already existing fan that comes with the cooler as intake fan in my case making the case fans 3 , i've got two questions , 1) at the moment im powering the intake fans  by a molex to 3 pin conector and the exhaust fan on the back by the mobo header , im thinking of getting the phanteks pwm hub and control all the case fans from there , 2) my mobo has two cpu fan headers , one is 4 pin and one 3 pin , i currently have both FP120 fans from the CPU Cooler plugged to the 3 and 4 pin respectively meaning i can't pwm control one , can i use a Y splitter and hook them both on the 4pin header? Thanks in advance y'all.

CPU : i5-8600k , Motherboard: Aorus Z370 Ultra Gaming , RAM: G.skill Ripjaws 16GB 3200mhz ,GPU : Gigabyte 1070 G1 ,Case: NZXT Noctis 450 ,Storage : Seagate 1TB HDD , Seagate Barracuda 2TB, Samsung 860 EVO 500GB , KINGSTON SHFS37A/240G HYPERX FURY 240GB  , PSU : Corsair RM 750X , Display(s) : LG Flatron W2243S , Dell U2715H , Cooling: Coolermaster Hyper 212x Evo, Keyboard: Coolermaster Rapid-i , Drevo Tyrfing Black , Coolermaster Masterkeys Pro S, Mouse : Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum , Windows 10 

4 minutes ago, Justhavocman said:

-SNIP-

Yes you can use a splitter to have more fan connections that are controllable just note that if your are getting 4 Pin PWM based fans the Phatekes PWM Hub isn't a PWM output aplitter, it takes in a PWM control signal and converts it to an equivalent 3 pin DC voltage control, if you want to use PWM getting a power splitter directly off the CPU header would be your best option. 

4 pin PWM splitter:

http://www.swiftech.com/8-WayPWMsplitter-sata.aspx

2 minutes ago, W-L said:

Yes you can use a splitter to have more fan connections that are controllable just note that if your are getting 4 Pin PWM based fans the Phatekes PWM Hub isn't a PWM output aplitter, it takes in a PWM control signal and converts it to an equivalent 3 pin DC voltage control, if you want to use PWM getting a power splitter directly off the CPU header would be your best option. 

4 pin PWM splitter:

http://www.swiftech.com/8-WayPWMsplitter-sata.aspx

couldn't find that particular one in my country but i found this , http://www.itsmart.gr/product_info.php?products_id=16426 , which looks similar , also i'd like to control case fans separately from my cpu cooler so i still got the dual fan cpu cooler issue with the 4pin and 3pin ( ill just plug the PWM hub in the case fan header which is controlled via the asrock utility program .

CPU : i5-8600k , Motherboard: Aorus Z370 Ultra Gaming , RAM: G.skill Ripjaws 16GB 3200mhz ,GPU : Gigabyte 1070 G1 ,Case: NZXT Noctis 450 ,Storage : Seagate 1TB HDD , Seagate Barracuda 2TB, Samsung 860 EVO 500GB , KINGSTON SHFS37A/240G HYPERX FURY 240GB  , PSU : Corsair RM 750X , Display(s) : LG Flatron W2243S , Dell U2715H , Cooling: Coolermaster Hyper 212x Evo, Keyboard: Coolermaster Rapid-i , Drevo Tyrfing Black , Coolermaster Masterkeys Pro S, Mouse : Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum , Windows 10 

1 minute ago, Justhavocman said:

couldn't find that particular one in my country but i found this , http://www.itsmart.gr/product_info.php?products_id=16426 , which looks similar , also i'd like to control case fans separately from my cpu cooler so i still got the dual fan cpu cooler issue with the 4pin and 3pin ( ill just plug the PWM hub in the case fan header which is controlled via the asrock utility program .

Yes that looks to be the same you will need to put that hub onto the CPU header though as it needs a PWM control signal, just note that theses splitters will not control 3 pin DC voltage control fans but instead run them at full speed.

Just now, W-L said:

just note that theses splitters will not control 3 pin DC voltage control fans but instead run them at full speed.

you mean the Y splitter or the hub?

3 minutes ago, Justhavocman said:

you mean the Y splitter or the hub?

The hub itself, regular  non power splitters will work with both PWM or DC voltage controlled fans.

Just now, W-L said:

The hub itself, regular  non power splitters will work with both PWM or DC voltage controlled fans.

hmm i see so i will need to replace those fans with pwm fans like the one that came with the 212x . But will the 4pin header handle two fans with a y splitter? 

Just now, Justhavocman said:

hmm i see so i will need to replace those fans with pwm fans like the one that came with the 212x . But will the 4pin header handle two fans with a y splitter? 

Yes the headers can handle two fans with a Y splitter, a good rule of thumb is no more than 3-4 fans per header to not overload them.

9 minutes ago, W-L said:

Yes the headers can handle two fans with a Y splitter, a good rule of thumb is no more than 3-4 fans per header to not overload them.

Alright  ,thanks a bunch! one last question if i may , since the case fan header is controlled by the asrock utility program doesn't that make it a wpm header? meaning can't i just put the hub there?

Just now, Justhavocman said:

Alright  ,thanks a bunch! one last question if i may , since the case fan header is controlled by the asrock utility program doesn't that make it a wpm header? meaning can't i just put the hub there?

No PWM requires 4 pins if it's a 3 pin you have on the board then it's only capable of DC voltage control. 

if you have 3 pin fans then id recommend the nzxt grid+ v2. software based individual fan control and monitoring, works really well.