RAID 6 vs. RAID 50

concinnity
Go to solution Solved by wpirobotbuilder,

With 8 drives, RAID6 is a fair bit faster...

No, it isn't.

Assuming I had 8 4TB drives and a compatible RAID card (Which I do not), which configuration would you go with and why? Just curious...

RAID 6. You can lose any two drives with RAID 6. You can lose up to two drives with RAID 50, but it isn't any two drives. You can lose one drive from each striped RAID volume. With that said, you will get much higher write speeds with RAID 50.

Assuming I had 8 4TB drives and a compatible RAID card (Which I do not), which configuration would you go with and why? Just curious...

Anything built with screws is meant to be disassembled.

Id do raid 5, i dont know if you would gain much from 50

~Judah

With 8 drives, RAID6 is a fair bit faster than RAID50 and also has better fault tolerances.

With 8 drives, RAID6 is a fair bit faster...

No, it isn't.

RAID 6. You can lose any two drives with RAID 6. You can lose up to two drives with RAID 50, but it isn't any two drives. You can lose one drive from each striped RAID volume. With that said, you will get much higher write speeds with RAID 50.

I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason and intellect has intended us to forgo their use, and by some other means to give us knowledge which we can attain by them. - Galileo Galilei
Build Logs: Tophat (in progress), DNAF | Useful Links: How To: Choosing Your Storage Devices and Configuration, Case Study: RAID Tolerance to Failure, Reducing Single Points of Failure in Redundant Storage , Why Choose an SSD?, ZFS From A to Z (Eric1024), Advanced RAID: Survival Rates, Flashing LSI RAID Cards (alpenwasser), SAN and Storage Networking

RAID 6 is freaking expensive though

Why do i always get blue screens? Why not a red one for a change?

Spoiler

CPU: 2920x  GPU: Sapphire HD 7950 Vapor X  MOBO: X399 Taichi  RAM: 4x 8GB Trident Z RGN 3200/14  CASE: 900D  OS SSD: Samsung 960 Evo 512GB  Storage: 20TB NAS  PSU: Corsair RM1000i  CPU COOLER: NH-U14S TR4 OS: Arch Linux Keyboard: Ducky Shine 3 TKL  Mouse: MX Master 2S Headphones: BD DT 770 PRO 250 Ohm

*cough* ZFS *cough* :D

You could even leave out the RAID card with that (or at least just use a cheap one).

If you really want to stick to the RAID card setup: What wpirobotbuilder has said.

BUILD LOGS: HELIOS - Latest Update: 2015-SEP-06 ::: ZEUS - BOTW 2013-JUN-28 ::: APOLLO - Complete: 2014-MAY-10
OTHER STUFF: Cable Lacing Tutorial ::: What Is ZFS? ::: mincss Primer ::: LSI RAID Card Flashing Tutorial
FORUM INFO: Community Standards ::: The Moderating Team ::: 10TB+ Storage Showoff Topic

*cough* ZFS *cough* :D

You could even leave out the RAID card with that (or at least just use a cheap one).

If you really want to stick to the RAID card setup: What wpirobotbuilder has said.

In order to do a RAID Z setup, I would just need a RAID card of some variety purely for connectivity, right?

Anything built with screws is meant to be disassembled.

In order to do a RAID Z setup, I would just need a RAID card of some variety purely for connectivity, right?

No, all you need is a straight SATA connection as in JBOD or a HBA mode, then again you need 8 ports so probably still need a card?

If you're even thinking ZFS even FreeNAS read this blog, it will save you future headaches. Its a must read for anyone tinkering with ZFS, learn without hitting the known failure points.

http://nex7.blogspot.com/2013/03/readme1st.html

I roll with sigs off so I have no idea what you're advertising.

This is NOT the signature you are looking for.

If you're even thinking ZFS even FreeNAS read this blog, it will save you future headaches. Its a must read for anyone tinkering with ZFS, learn without hitting the known failure points.

Very interesting article, thanks for the link! :)

A few notes: Many of these issues will not be very relevant if you're just

doing a home server setup (for example, most things related to performance

will most likely be of little importance if you're building a media streaming

machine). It's still very good advice from what I can tell, but just as a

side note.

One thing I would definitely apply to my own rig which I have not done with

my current server is the ECC memory. When ZFS verifies your disk data and you

have a random bit flip in your memory, ZFS will likely think it has found

corrupt data and "correct" what's on your disk. ECC memory should prevent

that.

I can definitely recommend ZFS from the experiences I've made so far, but

I also recommend doing some proper reading up on it and making sure it's

a good fit for your needs before you go ahead and deploy it.

BUILD LOGS: HELIOS - Latest Update: 2015-SEP-06 ::: ZEUS - BOTW 2013-JUN-28 ::: APOLLO - Complete: 2014-MAY-10
OTHER STUFF: Cable Lacing Tutorial ::: What Is ZFS? ::: mincss Primer ::: LSI RAID Card Flashing Tutorial
FORUM INFO: Community Standards ::: The Moderating Team ::: 10TB+ Storage Showoff Topic

Raid  1 maybe? ^^

AMD FX8320 @3.5ghz |  Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3  |  Corsair Vengeance 8gb 1600mhz  |  Hyper 412s  |  Gigabyte windforceR9 290  |  BeQuiet! 630w  |  Asus Xonar DGX  |  CoolerMast HAF 912+  |  Samsung 840 120gb

2 WD red 1tb RAID0  |  WD green 2tb(external, backup)  |  Asus VG278He  |  LG Flatron E2240  |  CMstorm Quickfire TK MXbrown  |  Sharkoon Fireglider  |  Audio Technica ATH700X

#KILLEDMYWIFE

No, all you need is a straight SATA connection as in JBOD or a HBA mode, then again you need 8 ports so probably still need a card?

This is fantastic. Adding to the Storage How To.

I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason and intellect has intended us to forgo their use, and by some other means to give us knowledge which we can attain by them. - Galileo Galilei
Build Logs: Tophat (in progress), DNAF | Useful Links: How To: Choosing Your Storage Devices and Configuration, Case Study: RAID Tolerance to Failure, Reducing Single Points of Failure in Redundant Storage , Why Choose an SSD?, ZFS From A to Z (Eric1024), Advanced RAID: Survival Rates, Flashing LSI RAID Cards (alpenwasser), SAN and Storage Networking