How do you run your fans?

ogretactics

How would you guys recommend running fans; silent, normal or performance (as per the options in the BIOS)? I'm not running overclocked right now (though I plan to down the line) and I'm using a Phanteks PH-TC120x CPU cooler on my i7 6700k. Is it better to tweak the fans from inside Windows with a third party application, or is it better to use the preconfigured options in the BIOS? Are most motherboards smart enough to regulate the fans even on silent mode so components aren't damaged? The main reason I ask is because I like running my rig as silent as possible, but obviously don't want to fry anything while doing something processor intensive like gaming or video encoding.

Thanks fellas :)

Silent modes generally won't damage anything, they get loud if its dangerously hot. If you use a program to configure you have more control and usually, can set modes for silent, normal and performance that you can switch between on the fly. I use Gigabyte's SIV for it personally.

My Build: Night Fury | i5-6600k @ 4.5Ghz | R9 390 | 850 EVO 250GB | 1TB Seagate | H230 Black

Night Theme User

Hello Fellow Night Theme User | Why Aren't You Using Night Theme?

I maxed out the option for PWM curve per centigrade in the bios, and it works pretty much exactly the way I want it.

Keeps the CPU running at a cool 25-45c depending on ambient temps, and about 45-46c under load.

Motherboards aren't smart enough to read your mind and keep the temps where you want them, but your CPU and that will throttle itself down, and the little amount of air passing through any decent cooler will be enough to keep it from reaching terminal temperatures and burning itself out.

Play with it, and use whatever gives you the most control. I found for most of my previous computers, that was using software because the majority of motherboards I'd owned didn't come with any decent form of automated fan control settings.

I'm running Gigabytes silent modes for two fans. The 2nd fan only kicks in when CPU get hotter than 50C. Case fans are 3oin and controlled with Speedfan, where front 200mm is running full 800 rpm all the time.

Non of the BIOS fan profiles will damage anything. It would be stupid from board manufacturer to make profile which has potential to harm other components (and not warn about it before). Actually your CPU will be fine as long as fans are running, and even when they aren't. CPU shutdown temp is there to cut power if something happens. You can adjust shutdown temp in BIOS too. I've set mine to 100C, 5C under default.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv