New fans and CPU cooler for Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ATX

Hi,

So I have just finished installing all my components and a new one (Hue+, Corsair RM750X), into my new case The Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ATX. I am extremely pleased with my results. My next job is to upgrade the fans and CPU cooler. The reason for this is to make my PC as quiet as possible.

I am currently thinking of getting:

• Be Queit! Dark Rock 3 Pro (Unless the pro is un-needed?)
  • 3/4x Silent Wings 2 (2/3 front, 1x140mm@back)

I was also unsure whether or not I should use the PWN Fan hub that is pre-installed into the case. My CPU cooler is plugged into the CPUFan1 header and the fan hub is plugged into the CPUFan2 header. IS that correct or would I be better plugging it into my Motherboards fans headers?

Thanks for any help, Dexter

Hey man, I REALLY wanted the dark rock pro 3 but it looks like they might be gone for good. I looked at Amazon and newegg and they both recently removed the product. I would recommend the TF, that's what I am using in my build. 

As for fans, the ABSOLUTE BEST is the Noctua NF-F12 but they are expensive and look like literal shit so if you're like me and care about the looks, go with the silent-wings by be quiet!

Also, something I had no idea about (I am using the glass version of your case) 3 120mm fans don't work with the silent wings because of the rubber border so I did 2 120's in the front, 1 120mm on the top and 1 140mm at the back and it works great.

Also the PWM fan hub only has 3-pin outs so scrap that shit ASAP for your PWM fans.

Great minds think alike!

--Riley

2 minutes ago, Kenobi3371 said:

Hey man, I REALLY wanted the dark rock pro 3 but it looks like they might be gone for good. I looked at Amazon and newegg and they both recently removed the product. I would recommend the TF, that's what I am using in my build. 

As for fans, the ABSOLUTE BEST is the Noctua NF-F12 but they are expensive and look like literal shit so if you're like me and care about the looks, go with the silent-wings by be quiet!

Also, something I had no idea about (I am using the glass version of your case) 3 120mm fans don't work with the silent wings because of the rubber border so I did 2 120's in the front, 1 120mm on the top and 1 140mm at the back and it works great.

Also the PWM fan hub only has 3-pin outs so scrap that shit ASAP for your PWM fans.

Great minds think alike!

--Riley

Damm the TF looks nice, I completely agree with the Noctua fans, I saw them before but they looks awful especially in my build which is Red and Black.

Thanks for the tip with the fans about not being able to fit 3 at the front. Not sure about putting one at the top tho, Do you think it will really be needed? 

Just now, MrDexter said:

Damm the TF looks nice, I completely agree with the Noctua fans, I saw them before but they looks awful especially in my build which is Red and Black.

Thanks for the tip with the fans about not being able to fit 3 at the front. Not sure about putting one at the top tho, Do you think it will really be needed? 

I don't think it's needed but with the TF's intake right there it certainly doesn't hurt. The more fans, generally the lower speeds they have to spin at therefore the quieter the computer.

Also, HUGE tip, listen close. If you are getting the lighting kit, go with the 1m version or you get way too much. 

1 minute ago, Kenobi3371 said:

I don't think it's needed but with the TF's intake right there it certainly doesn't hurt. The more fans, generally the lower speeds they have to spin at therefore the quieter the computer.

Also, HUGE tip, listen close. If you are getting the lighting kit, go with the 1m version or you get way too much. 

So if I am able to get my hands on a Dark Rock Pro 3 would you recommend it over the TF? 

I understand what you mean by the more fans the less stress under them. I will see what others say, but thanks for the tips.

22 minutes ago, MrDexter said:

So if I am able to get my hands on a Dark Rock Pro 3 would you recommend it over the TF? 

I understand what you mean by the more fans the less stress under them. I will see what others say, but thanks for the tips.

Sure, anything I can do to help. Also, the Pro 3 is great but unless you are doing HEAVY overclocking, you won't need it. Also, something to consider is that the TF will be a lot cheaper and *in my opinion* looks nicer so I believe the TF is far superior.

8 hours ago, Kenobi3371 said:

Sure, anything I can do to help. Also, the Pro 3 is great but unless you are doing HEAVY overclocking, you won't need it. Also, something to consider is that the TF will be a lot cheaper and *in my opinion* looks nicer so I believe the TF is far superior.

Ok, I have done some light overclocking on my  4790k. I think I have it overclocked from 4.0Ghz to 4.4Ghz.

Instead of the Dark Rock Pro 3, What are your views on the normal Dark Rock 3?

20 hours ago, Kenobi3371 said:

NF-F12's are louder and are definitely worse than 140mm SW2's.

Which headers you want to plug fans into is up to how you want to control them. I personally power all of my fans off of the cpu_fan header with a powered splitter.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

38 minutes ago, WoodenMarker said:

NF-F12's are louder and are definitely worse than 140mm SW2's.

Which headers you want to plug fans into is up to how you want to control them. I personally power all of my fans off of the cpu_fan header with a powered splitter.

I think I will stick with the SW2.

Do you think I should continue to use the PWM Fan controller or plug straight into motherboard? Will I only gain better control over the fans plugging them straight into the mobo?

2 minutes ago, MrDexter said:

Do you think I should continue to use the PWM Fan controller or plug straight into motherboard? Will I only gain better control over the fans plugging them straight into the mobo?

The fan hub is not a controller. It's just a splitter.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

7 minutes ago, WoodenMarker said:

My mistake

12 hours ago, MrDexter said:

Ok, I have done some light overclocking on my  4790k. I think I have it overclocked from 4.0Ghz to 4.4Ghz.

Instead of the Dark Rock Pro 3, What are your views on the normal Dark Rock 3?

lol, right now the TF is cheaper

25 minutes ago, WoodenMarker said:

It is a controller, it uses one PWM input and a SATA power connector to control the power given to the three-pin connectors. 

29 minutes ago, MrDexter said:

I think I will stick with the SW2.

Depends on the motherboard, some (Like ASUS) have decent controllers but many don't

Just now, Kenobi3371 said:

Depends on the motherboard, some (Like ASUS) have decent controllers but many don't

I have an MSI Z97 Gaming 5 Motherboard. The fans seem to work well on my previous case. They kept it cool enough and didn't continuously change the rpm from low to high like my current fans are

Just now, MrDexter said:

I have an MSI Z97 Gaming 5 Motherboard. The fans seem to work well on my previous case. They kept it cool enough and didn't continuously change the rpm from low to high like my current fans are

That's probably because your current ones are non-PWM. I'm not familiar with that motherboard so you are going to need to do some research

The current fans I have are the Default Phantek ones, They all come plugged into the fan hub that is also pre-installed into the case. 

2 hours ago, MrDexter said:

The current fans I have are the Default Phantek ones, They all come plugged into the fan hub that is also pre-installed into the case. 

Yeah, those aren't PWM, I HIGHLY recommend the silent wings so I'd go with those (As I did for my build)

9 hours ago, Kenobi3371 said:

Yeah, those aren't PWM, I HIGHLY recommend the silent wings so I'd go with those (As I did for my build)

Ok, so I will for sure pick up Some Silent Wings 2. How many would you recommend? 1x140mm at the rear. 2x140mm at the front? or 2x120mm at the front?

I have done some overclocking so currently, my CPU idles at around 40C, So I do need to get new fans soon. I may also plug the fans straight into the Motherboard so I can change how they run at what temperature.

On 7/29/2016 at 11:37 AM, Kenobi3371 said:

It is a controller, it uses one PWM input and a SATA power connector to control the power given to the three-pin connectors. 

The pwm input controls the fan speeds. There's no dial or anything else on it that would make it a fan controller.

On 7/29/2016 at 11:42 PM, MrDexter said:

I have done some overclocking so currently, my CPU idles at around 40C, So I do need to get new fans soon. 

Idle temps don't really matter and 40c is fine.

On 7/29/2016 at 11:42 PM, MrDexter said:

Ok, so I will for sure pick up Some Silent Wings 2. How many would you recommend? 1x140mm at the rear. 2x140mm at the front? or 2x120mm at the front?

I have done some overclocking so currently, my CPU idles at around 40C, So I do need to get new fans soon. I may also plug the fans straight into the Motherboard so I can change how they run at what temperature.

I'd stick with what I did; 2 120mm in front, 1 120mm on top, and 1 140mm on the back