Fractal Design Node 202: In the market for low profile case

Okjoek

I ended up not long ago having to lug around my full sized ATX case to a LAN party and it dawned on me why a smaller form factor might not be a bad idea especially for someone like me who's not a high-end user. After all I would like something not a ton bigger than your every day game console with all the same versatility like wall mounting or having the monitor itself able to sit ontop of it. If I'm going to kill a console, why not pick on someone my own size?

I watched Luke's video on the Fractal Design Node 202...

... I am curious if there's anything similar but better on the market that you would recommend. Silverstone has some really nice low profile cases.

Also if anybody has used this case Luke says there's room for 2 120mm fans under the GPU's zone. What would be an advisable way to mount said fans? Both intake, both outtake or one intake and one outtake?

If I do get the Node 202 I intend to get it with the 450W PSU which seems tailor made for my needs with the only downside is that it's not modular since I don't usually use GPU that go over the PCI-E's 75W limit and needing the extra cable.

For a GPU I intend to get the new RX 460. I really like shorter cards especially for a case like this where I'll be able to get more room for cable management and at the same as I mentioned before, require one less cable.

Any input on my situation appreciated.

I just ordered this case for my build. I'm using a Zotac GTX 1060 Mini and going to put a pressure optimized fan in front of the gpu as intake. I also plan to modify the case to accept a Corsair H55 cpu cooler. I'm thinking about mounting that fan as intake also to give the case positive pressure. With all the air coming into the case, the heat will be forced out the vents and should limit the dust build up inside the case as the dust should be caught on the dust filters.

Just now, MachoCyclone said:

I just ordered this case for my build. I'm using a Zotac GTX 1060 Mini and going to put a pressure optimized fan in front of the gpu as intake. I also plan to modify the case to accept a H55 cpu cooler. I'm thinking about mounting that fan as intake also to give the case positive pressure. With all the air coming into the case, the heat will be forced out the vents and should limit the dust build up inside the case as the dust should be caught on the dust filters.

That's a good point I didn't think of. Why would I have a fan facing towards a dust filter? Wouldn't make any sence for me to do that so thanks.

On 7/28/2016 at 3:50 PM, MachoCyclone said:

I just ordered this case for my build. I'm using a Zotac GTX 1060 Mini and going to put a pressure optimized fan in front of the gpu as intake. I also plan to modify the case to accept a Corsair H55 cpu cooler. I'm thinking about mounting that fan as intake also to give the case positive pressure. With all the air coming into the case, the heat will be forced out the vents and should limit the dust build up inside the case as the dust should be caught on the dust filters.

Did you get that water cooling idea from Channel Awesomesause?

1 hour ago, Okjoek said:

Did you get that water cooling idea from Channel Awesomesause?

Yep. But I'm going to attempt to take it one step further and attempt it with a full CPU/GPU loop. 

I can can see the layout in my head, just a matter of finding parts that will work. I know for sure I'm going to make my own custom length power cables.  It's going to take me some time to work on the build as I'm a truck driver and only home a week every two to three months.

I have seen some builds with a full loop in the Node 202. I can't remember if it was on LTT or [H]ardforum...

42 minutes ago, MachoCyclone said:

Yep. But I'm going to attempt to take it one step further and attempt it with a full CPU/GPU loop. 

I can can see the layout in my head, just a matter of finding parts that will work. I know for sure I'm going to make my own custom length power cables.  It's going to take me some time to work on the build as I'm a truck driver and only home a week every two to three months.

That's pretty hardcore for such a compact design. I wish you the best of luck.

I'm sticking to a low profile air cooler. It's just in general simpler, lighter and more reliable especially since modern chips are getting more and more cooler and efficient.

I'm not sure what brand to get. I could stick with Cryorig where I got my current cooler and I've got no complaints for it. They have a 47mm tall low-profile cooler the C7

https://www.amazon.com/Cryorig-CR-C7A-Flow-Heatsink-47mm/dp/B0177GTV9U/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1470077873&sr=8-5&keywords=low+profile+CPU+cooler

I know Cooler Master is a popular brand, but I don't see anything quite short enough in their lineup for this I'm afraid.

Noctua's always had Linus' praise and they do have some options.

2 hours ago, 1shanghai said:

The SENTRY mini itx case? Not yet released but soon. Look it up

Thanks for sharing this. I guess it depends on how much it costs. Would be nice to buy a PC case from Poland where my ancestors come from.

1 hour ago, Okjoek said:

That's pretty hardcore for such a compact design. I wish you the best of luck.

I'm sticking to a low profile air cooler. It's just in general simpler, lighter and more reliable especially since modern chips are getting more and more cooler and efficient.

I'm not sure what brand to get. I could stick with Cryorig where I got my current cooler and I've got no complaints for it. They have a 47mm tall low-profile cooler the C7

https://www.amazon.com/Cryorig-CR-C7A-Flow-Heatsink-47mm/dp/B0177GTV9U/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1470077873&sr=8-5&keywords=low+profile+CPU+cooler

I know Cooler Master is a popular brand, but I don't see anything quite short enough in their lineup for this I'm afraid.

Noctua's always had Linus' praise and they do have some options.

Thanks for sharing this. I guess it depends on how much it costs. Would be nice to buy a PC case from Poland where my ancestors come from.

I've seen good reviews for the C7. But, IMO, save the money. The reviews I saw were good, but performs slightly better than stock.