Can I use the same PSU around the world?

vgfan1995

Just like the title, could I use the same PSU that I just bought in the USA, bring it to France, and use it normally? My specific model is EVGA Supernova G2 750W. In the manual, it says, "AC input: 100-240 VAC, 10A, 60/50 Hz". Thank you very much!

A lot of supplies have a switch on the back to switch between 120 and 240v. If not and the manual says it'll work with both voltages, it should work. However, I would unplug everything, jump the 24pin cable with a paper clip (greenwire to any ground, look up a diagram if you're not sure), turn it on,  and see if it explodes. 

ASU

1 minute ago, ArmswieldTheHero said:

I'm not sure? Are there any laws against it? You'd be better informed than I.

Lol its not a legal thing, it's a voltage please-don't-blow-up-my-expensive-computer-thing. 

ASU

You're fine it can take 220/240 50Hz which is what Europe and most other regions seem to use, I honestly get a chuckle out of why the rest of the world uses 50Hz instead of 60Hz though

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/ Tier Breakdown (My understanding)--1 Godly, 2 Great, 3 Good, 4 Average, 5 Meh, 6 Bad, 7 Awful

Just now, Hackentosher said:

Lol its not a legal thing, it's a voltage please-don't-blow-up-my-expensive-computer-thing. 

Ohhh they have different outlets in france? ha ha I'm silly.

Yeah, just buy a new cable that fits the sockets in the country you live in and you'll be fine, I did some research for laws in places like New Zeland, Dominican Republic, United States, the UK, France, and Canada and there are no rules against it- use any power supply you want dude.

2 minutes ago, ArmswieldTheHero said:

Ohhh they have different outlets in france? ha ha I'm silly.

Not only different outlets but double the voltage. 

ASU

1 minute ago, AresKrieger said:

And different frequency aka 50Hz

Ah, didn't know that. 

ASU

5 minutes ago, Hackentosher said:

A lot of supplies have a switch on the back to switch between 120 and 240v. If not and the manual says it'll work with both voltages, it should work. However, I would unplug everything, jump the 24pin cable with a paper clip (greenwire to any ground, look up a diagram if you're not sure), turn it on,  and see if it explodes. 

I think due to market's demand of each separate region, many manufacturers, including EVGA, have eliminated almost all the switches on the back of their PSU, that's why I have to ask the community to make sure I'm not gonna kill myself while powering the PSU, LoL. Thankfully, I also bought a PSU tester :).

7 minutes ago, Hackentosher said:

the ones with the switch tend to usually be budget units, most high quality modern units work on the entire 100-250 volt range, and in fact i'm pretty sure EVGA sells the exact same units in europe as they do in the states :P

one thing you do need is a european power cable, and take specific note to which one you get, since europe has a very confusing standard:

german schuko looks like this:

Schuko_plug_and_socket_annotated.png

and is used primarily in germany and the netherlands

french "schuko" looks like this: (they're not called schuko, i just cant find the exact name right now)

E_3d_plug_l.png

the reason that second is a render is because no one in their right mind uses it with the plug you should get because its intercompatible:

schuko4.jpg

something to note for 'muricans is the excessibe amount of icons on that last picture.

DONT EVER UNDER ANY CONDITION BUY A EUROPEAN CORD WITHOUT THOSE

the ones that lack the icons arent just ones that dont apply to the standardisation organisations' requirements, and are therefor seen as dangerous, if shit burns down because of a bad cable, insurance says "lolnope".