Sudden power failure - should I worry?

trylo

Hi!

I have a 3yo STRAIGHT POWER 10 | 700W that has never failed me, but today all of the sudden computer just shut down. I almost had a heart attack, because I have a UPS and my monitors stayed on.

Pressing power button did nothing, so I unplugged the cable from PSU opened the case to make sure that no cables go loose (last time this computer were moved was 3 months ago), plugged the PSU back and it works.

Should I worry and look for a new PSU?

Thank you in advance for all input!

2 minutes ago, trylo said:

Hi!

I have a 3yo STRAIGHT POWER 10 | 700W that has never failed me, but today all of the sudden computer just shut down. I almost had a heart attack, because I have a UPS and my monitors stayed on.

Pressing power button did nothing, so I unplugged the cable from PSU opened the case to make sure that no cables go loose (last time this computer were moved was 3 months ago), plugged the PSU back and it works.

Should I worry and look for a new PSU?

Thank you in advance for all input!

Make sure your cpu didn't overheat and auto shutdown. If its the psu get a new one asap.

Unsure what power supply to pick?

Check out my HTPC build.

Quote me/others so we can help you

Comic sans is the best font

8 minutes ago, Stevoisboss said:

Make sure your cpu didn't overheat and auto shutdown. If its the psu get a new one asap.

I wasn't doing anything CPU intense and I have my CPU at stock speed to have maximum stability (so unless something failed in my Corsair H80i that shouldn't be the case...). Is there any test I can do to find out if it's the PSU?

15 minutes ago, trylo said:

I wasn't doing anything CPU intense and I have my CPU at stock speed to have maximum stability (so unless something failed in my Corsair H80i that shouldn't be the case...). Is there any test I can do to find out if it's the PSU?

Does the PSU have any power switch on it?

6 minutes ago, Ichi said:

Does the PSU have any power switch on it?

Yes, it does.

52 minutes ago, trylo said:

Well the test I would normally do with a failing PSU and not a single instance issue like that is have the user remove any desktop sized hard drives that aren't necessary to make the system boot and see if it boots without issues. If not, remove any GPUs and if it boots without issues then it's your PSU. Honestly, to me it sounds like a cable was choked for providing power so maybe loosen up any cable management or remove any cable extensions you have.

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

Thank you for the advice STRMfrmXMN.

It's been running for a few hours now like nothing happened though...