2 GTX 980 tis or 2 1080s

Dibble93

I have a single 980 ti and was wondering of upgrading but not sure whether to just get another 980 ti or to just get 2 1080s.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated

Thanks

If you don't care about money hell yeah go the 2x 1080's  

Sli still isnt optimized atm. Just sell ur 980ti and get a single 1080. If it isnt enough get a 2nd 1080 later on.

Budget Rig "Curable":     | FX 6300 @4.5Ghz | Asus R9 270x | Asus Crosshair IV Extreme | 16GB HyperX Beast | 120GB PNY SSD

Tablet "Buddy":                 Trekstor Wintron 10.1|

what kind of gaming/other tasks are you aiming for? SLI 1080s are pretty overkill for most tasks and the 980TI is by no means a bad card

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

I do a fair bit of gaming with some newer titles like doom and some video editing anything else wouldn't really be affected by the cards I use and considering getting a HTC vive in the future 

2 minutes ago, Dibble93 said:

I do a fair bit of gaming with some newer titles like doom and some video editing anything else wouldn't really be affected by the cards I use and considering getting a HTC vive in the future 

well i would say to either sell the 980TI and get one 1080(two if you really hate your money) or keep with the 980TI if you think that works for you

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

Getting another 980ti will be significantly cheaper than buying 2 1080s. You never know what someone will pay for your current card so keep it

Needs money for car parts :P

System specs: Core i7 9700k, Dark Rock Pro 4 , MSI Z390 PRO, 16GB CORSAIR VENGENCE DDR4 3000, EVGA GTX 1070 FTW, Corsair AX860, Seagate 1TB, Sandisk 240GB SSD, Corsair 400c

My Steam Profile (from SteamDB)

• Worth: £654 (£221 with sales)
  • Games owned: 62
  • Games played: 52 (83%)
  • Hours on record: 2,980.7h

Spoiler

I go that route get a single 1080 and see how it goes and get another if necessary thanks for the advice

A lot of games have poor sli support. you would be better off selling the 980 ti and buying a GTX 1080. (even a single 1080 will most likely do better than sli 980 ti), so buy a single 1080, and then use that for a while (if you need more power you can always buy another in the future)

Edit: GTX 1080 has MUCH better VR support than 980ti as well

all this coming from people that dont even own a 980ti or even sli for that matter, let alone a vive. Ive got a vive and sli 980ti and can say its more then enough 

edit: i will say a single card is better but you cant go wrong with sli 980ti. a single 1080 is only about 20%more powerful than a 980ti so imo its not really worth an upgrade unless you sell your 980ti and want to take a bit of a hit

Tsubasa (The 7680x1440 beast): CPU: Intel i7 8086k | Cooler: Fully Custom Rigid Loop MOBO: Asus Z370-I ITX | GPU: Nvidia Titan Xp Star Wars | RAM: 32Gb 2x16gb Gskill Trident Z RGB | SSD: Samsung 1TB 970 Evo Nvme, 2TB Micron Sata SSD | Case: Fractal Design Nano S | PSU: Corsair SF600 With Full custom cables  

Video editing doesnt use the sli. The 980ti is still a very capable card. 

Jumping to a 1080 is at a minimum going to cost 300 usd. If new 980tis are selling for around 400. A used one would be roughly 300. 

Doom doesnt use sli atm either. I own Doom but beyond the story mode I havent played anything else. 

Stick with your 980ti and buy another. The 980ti sli will hold out until next gen 11xx carda will be released.

Im an owner of sli Strix 1080s. Its i bought them and have really yet to stress that second card yet. 

eehhmm... Does anybody remember that the Titan XP is coming???

This guy doesn't care about money (like me) , he wants the best...

I mean... Look at him!!! He have a 980ti, a previous gen top performer, and he's already thinking on upgrading it!!!

Come on guys, look at what is obvious...

36 minutes ago, Dibble93 said:

Any advice would be greatly appreciated

BRO WAIT A FEW WEEKS, AND GET A TITAN XP !!!

price to performance go for two 980tis instead of 1080 but if money isn't a problem wait until the new titan comes out and buy that

Well actually I do care about my money but I have the ability to do either and was wondering people opinions on the subject

1 minute ago, Dibble93 said:

Well actually I do care about my money but I have the ability to do either and was wondering people opinions on the subject

if you have the ability to do so, and comfortable to upgrade.

if i am in your situation, i will sell the 980Ti, get a single GTX 1080. Enjoy the performance upgrade from that already. Then wait until one GTX 1080 is not enough and get another to SLI

Latest and greatest is always good when you are able to afford that :)

9 minutes ago, Dibble93 said:

The Titan XP costs at least 100bucks less than 1080s in SLI while not having to worry about SLI support.

The Titan XP is cheaper and performs better. That's why I'm getting one.

If anyone asks you never saw me.

Seriously. How much money do you have? Anyway...

Two 1080's:

- Are Overpowered as hell

- Are Far better in performance

- Give you more bragging rights

But:

- Are far more expensive

- Is actually not needed. Seriously.

- Literally rapes your wallet.

- Uses Sli

Two 980ti's:

- Are Still pretty powerful

- Are cheaper

- Are more convenient since you already have one 980ti

- Gives you more money to spend elsewhere in your build.

But:

- Are quite behind the 1080's in performance.

- Have a higher power draw (I think. Don't quote me on that)

- You loose some bragging rights.

- Uses Sli

If I were you, I'd opt for one 1080 if you have to have more performance and you have a lot of money.

Nothing.

1 hour ago, TheSuspect said:

Seriously. How much money do you have? Anyway...

If the OP is young, rich and a professional or just mommy and daddy (no offense OP).

Ive got 5 Pascal cards in my house, 2 1080s and 3 1070s. All Strix OC models.

I just found they work in a red and black build and a white and black build. Then 1 1070 in a htpc living room vr machine. Its overkill when its just a media center pc, but works well in vr.

980 Tis aren't quite behind the 1080 in terms of performance. When overclocked both are roughly equal outside of vr.

And SLI isn't badly supported. Its actually very verll supported in the majority of games that can benefit from it.

Linus is my fetish.

31 minutes ago, Bhav said:

980 Tis aren't quite behind the 1080 in terms of performance. When overclocked both are roughly equal outside of vr.

And SLI isn't badly supported. Its actually very verll supported in the majority of games that can benefit from it.

No not really. A well overclocked 980ti can get close to a reference 1080 not overclocking. But overclock them both and the 1080 walks away from the 980ti, especially at 4k.

And as for SLI, this video talks about the challenges SLI has and the increased challenges moving forward.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pzOrsQM7ImA

If anyone asks you never saw me.

I would suggest you go with a single 1080. I currently have one, and I can run most of my games at 4k res with high settings, and I almost always get 60 fps (notice I said high settings, not fully maxed). 2 980 Ti's in SLI would run most games better, but then again, you will have to deal with some of the quirks that come along with SLI, such as not all games being optimized for SLI, more heat in the system, etc. 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X (liquid cooled) GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 Ultra non-LHR MOBO: Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Hero Wi-Fi RAM: 32GB G.Skill TridentZ RGB 3600MHz DDR4 (2x16GB) PSU: Corsair HX1200i (overkill yes, but was free!) Storage: 1 TB XPG SX8200 Pro NVMe, 2TB XPG SX8100 NVMe, 4TB WD Blue SATA SSD, 2x 480GB SATA SSDs, 3TB Seagate Barracuda 7200rpm Case: Corsair Obsidian 750D Airflow (with upgraded USB-C front panel) Sound Card: EVGA Nu Audio Liquid Cooling parts: EK Supremacy Classic RGB AMD Nickel+Plexi, EK-XRES 140 Revo D5 RGB PWM (incl. pump), 2x EK 240mm PE radiator, EK Duraclear clear tubing

14 minutes ago, App4that said:

No not really. A well overclocked 980ti can get close to a reference 1080 not overclocking. But overclock them both and the 1080 walks away from the 980ti, especially at 4k.

And as for SLI, this video talks about the challenges SLI has and the increased challenges moving forward.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pzOrsQM7ImA

Actually you're right, I hadn't seen any benchmarks with all the GPUs overclocked yet:

http://www.overclockersclub.com/reviews/nvidia_geforcegtx_1080_overclocking/

But when you can get two of the best 980 Tis for the cost of one of one 1080 Ti, it comes down to how much you are willing to pay for an extra 10-20% performance for a single card vs much more than that in games where SLI is supported. Also with DX12, multi GPU support is going to improve a lot as well.

Linus is my fetish.