Lonewolf33651

Current specs 

AMD FX-6350

XFX R9 270x

8GB RAM

128 GB SSD and 1 TB WD blue HDD

650 watt psu

Windows 10

Im going to be getting another gpu and want to crossfire them but my little 650 watt psu wont beable to power them both. Is it possible to use another psu that i have laying around (600 watt) to power just the 2nd gpu? Might switch my case lights over to the 2nd psu if its possible as well. I figure i just jumper the 2nd psu but do i need to ground the 2nd psu to the case for any reason or do anything specific?

Don't pull a Austin Evans 

youre better off off saving for a 480. 

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

Well imbgetting the other gpu off a trade since im really strapped for cash. I dont know when ill ever be able to really upgrade

a 650 can easily power 270x CF

you need 4 6-pins

CPU: Intel i7 5820K @ 4.20 GHz | MotherboardMSI X99S SLI PLUS | RAM: Corsair LPX 16GB DDR4 @ 2666MHz | GPU: Sapphire R9 Fury (x2 CrossFire)
Storage: Samsung 950Pro 512GB // OCZ Vector150 240GB // Seagate 1TB | PSU: Seasonic 1050 Snow Silent | Case: NZXT H440 | Cooling: Nepton 240M
FireStrike // Extreme // Ultra // 8K // 16K

I dobt have 4 6 pin connectors on my psu hence the need to use 2 psus

or you could just buy one good power supply and ditch the shitty setup. You can get an EVGA 850W PSU which has enough power connectors for like 80$ which is well worth it.

Sergeant, United States Marine Corps

Network Administrator, Comptia A+, Security+, Cisco Certified Networking Associate

From a G3258 to dual Xeon E5-2670's

Just now, Jacktastic-Mofo said:

or you could just buy one good power supply and ditch the shitty setup. You can get an EVGA 850W PSU which has enough power connectors for like 80$ which is well worth it.

Like i said im strapped for cash and trying to work with what i got

If it's a quality 650w power supply, it will be capable of powering that system along with two video cards in crossfire.
If it doesn't have 4 pci-e connectors, you can use adapters that convert 2 molex connectors into a pci-e 6 or pci-e 6+2 connector.

Some power supplies don't have enough pci-e connectors because they exaggerate their capabilities on the label but some simply have few pci-e connectors to create an artificial difference between power supply models in the same series (ex the 750w version will have 4 pci-e connectors, the 650w will have only 2 or 3, while both can power two video cards with 2 pci-e 6 pin for example)

Just now, Lonewolf33651 said:

Then just buy some molex to 6 pin adapters and you'll be fine.

Sergeant, United States Marine Corps

Network Administrator, Comptia A+, Security+, Cisco Certified Networking Associate

From a G3258 to dual Xeon E5-2670's

9 hours ago, Lonewolf33651 said:

What 650W PSU do you have? Not all are created equal.

For one, 270X in Crossfire is totally fine on, say, an EVGA 650GS. On the other hand, the two 270Xs in Crossfire is not fine on say, a 650W Corsair VS. So it depends on what your PSU is. Don't go Austin Evans on the dual-PSU machine though, it's a recipe for disaster putting two poor quality PSUs together.

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||