Non-modular PSU sleeving

TheMrFoulds

Obviously there are tons of tutorials and various posts about sleeving cables but I've not seen one about this method. Also, apologies in advance for the lack of pictures for the early stages of the guide but I'm making the guide retrospectively.

Pros:                                                     Cons:

Cheap!                                                  Doesn't do anything for the cables entering the PSU

Easy                                                      Looks pretty crap behind the motherboard tray

Looks great

No need to be super precise

Finished article.

IMG_20160727_163504[1].jpgIMG_20160727_170023[1].jpg

Materials:

550 paracord (length TBD), ebay is great for getting this cheap.

Snips or sharp scissors

Lighter

Some staples, minimum 4 (have plenty spare!)

30cm ruler

A few hours of your time.

STEP 1:

Measure how much cord you will need. With your cable routed, measure the length of its path from the connector to the cable management hole. Make sure to add some leeway, I found that 5cm was a good amount but there's no need to be overly precise. Multiply this length by how many cables you will sleeve and buy that much paracord, plus a bit extra for mistakes.

STEP 2:

Cut the paracord into the lengths that you need (as measured earlier) being sure to remove the core after the lengths are cut. Singe the ends of the paracord to prevent fraying and move the next step.

STEP 3:

Make your pin removal tool. Take two staples from a block, keeping them attached to each other, then straighten them into an L shape. You'll need to make two of these tools

IMG_20160727_164735[1].jpg

In order to keep track of the wires, I recommend completing step 4 for one wire at a time and repeating. 

STEP 4:

Push the long end of the staples into the sides of the ATX pins until you hear a soft click, then pull the cable out of the connector. Slide your paracord over the ATX pin and melt the end of the cable, pinching it into the gap in the pin like so. Circled on the image are the wings that lock the pin into the connector, it may be necessary to bend these out a bit to ensure the pins stay put when plugging in the cable.

IMG_20160727_165124[1].jpgIMG_20160727_165039.jpg

STEP 5:

Now simply pull the original sheathing over the end of paracord newly sleeved wires, route and plug in your cable, then secure the interface with a zip tie and electrical tape/heatshrink. (I missed out the zip tie but definitely recommend using it.)

IMG_20160727_165734.jpgIMG_20160727_165753.jpgIMG_20160727_170023[1].jpg

STEP 6: (most important)

Marvel at the beauty of your creation!

This whole guide is applicable to the 24-pin, 4+4 pin CPU and pcie cables. but can easily be adapted for SATA power and molex. Enjoy!

IMG_20160727_165124[1].jpg

Thanks for the help, will post some pictures of mine when i get the free time to do it in one or two marathon sessions. (Same guy from YouTube section)