16gb of ram

Costs more than 8GB

Costs less than 32GB

Needs money for car parts :P

System specs: Core i7 9700k, Dark Rock Pro 4 , MSI Z390 PRO, 16GB CORSAIR VENGENCE DDR4 3000, EVGA GTX 1070 FTW, Corsair AX860, Seagate 1TB, Sandisk 240GB SSD, Corsair 400c

My Steam Profile (from SteamDB)

• Worth: £654 (£221 with sales)
  • Games owned: 62
  • Games played: 52 (83%)
  • Hours on record: 2,980.7h

RAM is so cheap so i wouldn't want RAM to be something i worry about at all, 16GB for me definitely.

8gb is fine for everyday use, and gaming, 16 is more futureproof, but is also more costly, some other rendeing programs and things like video editing may need more ram though.

•E5-2670 @2.7GHz • Intel DX79SI • EVGA 970 SSC• GSkill Sniper 8Gb ddr3 • Corsair Spec 02 • Corsair RM750 • HyperX 120Gb SSD • Hitachi 2Tb HDD •

my argument is that this is a useless thread, and borderline against community standards, because it's basicly just trying to light a flame war.

I have 16 gb, and rarely see it go above 12. Only hosting and running ram intense games at the same time would use 16gb while gaming. Most modern gaming is fine with 8gb, and some people would say that 16gb is overkill. I have it because I like seeing my os use as much ram as it wants, and I also use it for rendering Blender animations and models, that can take up a lot of ram when used intensely. 

Just now, manikyath said:

my argument is that this is a useless thread, and borderline against community standards, because it's basicly just trying to light a flame war.

Urm, how would this start a flame war?

Needs money for car parts :P

System specs: Core i7 9700k, Dark Rock Pro 4 , MSI Z390 PRO, 16GB CORSAIR VENGENCE DDR4 3000, EVGA GTX 1070 FTW, Corsair AX860, Seagate 1TB, Sandisk 240GB SSD, Corsair 400c

My Steam Profile (from SteamDB)

• Worth: £654 (£221 with sales)
  • Games owned: 62
  • Games played: 52 (83%)
  • Hours on record: 2,980.7h

Planetside 2 has a memory leak so if you play that particular game for a few hours you'll need lots of memory. I have 12gb and after 2 hours of planetside 2 I am up to 75-80% usage.

Just now, Sir Reginald said:

Planetside 2 has a memory leak so if you play that particular game for a few hours you'll need lots of memory. I have 12gb and after 2 hours of planetside 2 I am up to 75-80% usage.

actually thats quite helpful, planet side 2 is a game i play quite often, ill be sure to check my ram usage next time i play

Just now, daniel117100 said:

wow dude what an ass you are, just trying to get opinions and make a decision, i expect nothing less from a fur fag anyways

if you needed opinions you'd first off not use the term furfag, and second you'd give a use case where that memory would go.

what you just now basicly did was ask the forum if you should get an i7 4790k, without giving any additional information.

i hope you realise how silly that sounds.

2 minutes ago, Sir Reginald said:

That is actually normal for that game, I usually sit around 85% with 8gb of ram.

•E5-2670 @2.7GHz • Intel DX79SI • EVGA 970 SSC• GSkill Sniper 8Gb ddr3 • Corsair Spec 02 • Corsair RM750 • HyperX 120Gb SSD • Hitachi 2Tb HDD •

Entirely depends on your use case scenario. I benefit from 16gb of ram, because of my typical workload, but you might not. For example, my sister is perfectly fine just using 4gb of ram in her laptop, I am not.

7 minutes ago, iDeFecZx said:

People that think 16gb of ram is useless vs people that think everyone should get 16gb of ram.

6 minutes ago, iDeFecZx said:

because he's asking for a recommendation "in a void" which is pretty much a recipe for disaster if two people with different idealistic views clash, and beyond that will never be able to provide OP with a good answer either way.

- what system is the ram gonna go into

- what will that system be doing

- how "future resistant" will it need to be (eg. is it for a friend that wont open the case the next 7 years)

- are there any special requirements like low profile to fit under a cooler, or obnoxious LEDs.

- etc...

the more information OP gives the better we can help him, if he gives no information at all this thread is doomed to go down the toilet either way.

because he's asking for a recommendation "in a void" which is pretty much a recipe for disaster if two people with different idealistic views clash, and beyond that will never be able to provide OP with a good answer either way.

- what system is the ram gonna go into

- what will that system be doing

- how "future resistant" will it need to be (eg. is it for a friend that wont open the case the next 7 years)

- are there any special requirements like low profile to fit under a cooler, or obnoxious LEDs.

- etc...

the more information OP gives the better we can help him, if he gives no information at all this thread is doomed to go down the toilet either way.

It has already started an argument, that guy just randomly insulted you. Threads like this are pointless.

2 minutes ago, Logarithm said:

Entirely depends on your use case scenario. I benefit from 16gb of ram, because of my typical workload, but you might not. For example, my sister is perfectly fine just using 4gb of ram in her laptop, I am not.

Just now, spidsepttk said:

People that think 16gb of ram is useless vs people that think everyone should get 16gb of ram.

people who speak sense :o

a few months back someone actually tried to argue to me that the need for more than 4GB ram is because developers are lazy and dont care to optimize anymore. (happened to be a developer of an application that uses more ram, requires more cpu and gpu horsepower, and is less feature-filled than the application it tried to replace)

lets just say ram amounts pulls out even worse idealists than video cards do when in the wrong crowds :P

It has already started an argument, that guy just randomly insulted you. Threads like this are pointless.

exactly.

is it bad i know ahead of time which people are gonna refer to the profile picture, and which people are actually here to be serious?

(may be part of the reason that picture is still there. if you're offended by it to the point you have to degrade to insults you dont deserve my time either way :P)

people who speak sense :o

a few months back someone actually tried to argue to me that the need for more than 4GB ram is because developers are lazy and dont care to optimize anymore. (happened to be a developer of an application that uses more ram, requires more cpu and gpu horsepower, and is less feature-filled than the application it tried to replace)

lets just say ram amounts pulls out even worse idealists than video cards do when in the wrong crowds :P

Back when i didnt know how much i needed, i slapped in 8gbs and didn't complain. The reason why i need over 4gb is because right now i'm browsing a forum while watching a youtube video. 3.5gb of ram is being used!

Back when i didnt know how much i needed, i slapped in 8gbs and didn't complain. The reason why i need over 4gb is because right now i'm browsing a forum while watching a youtube video. 3.5gb of ram is being used!

i have 16GB because minecraft, multitasking, and VMs :P

exactly.

is it bad i know ahead of time which people are gonna refer to the profile picture, and which people are actually here to be serious?

(may be part of the reason that picture is still there. if you're offended by it to the point you have to degrade to insults you dont deserve my time either way :P)

Salty people that won't agree with you will always pick on the first thing that they see.

Salty people that won't agree with you will always pick on the first thing that they see.

either that, or they come with arguments of value that may actually end up with both parties learning something.

sadly those people are a rare find.

either that, or they come with arguments of value that may actually end up with both parties learning something.

sadly those people are a rare find.

True.