Overclock Failed?

Hi, so I booted up my PC today and I was met with an American Megatrends (I think that's what it was) screen that listed my PC specs and then at the end said Overclocked Failed. I have been using a 28% overclock on my i5-6600k to make it 4.5ghz for a month now and it is cooled with a 120mm liquid cooler. So I was very surprised when it displayed that screen. I ran the OCCT Stress Test for as long as I could because I had to get some work done. I was able to do other stuff for 20min. and when I exited the stress test my computer seemed to be perfectly fine. But then right after I exited a Word Doc, my computer froze and after about 10 seconds, it displayed a blue screen with that weird text emote (I think that's what it is called) and some text that said "Windows detected/is fixing a problem" or something like that. It also displayed a QR code and an error code, but I had rushed to get my phone so I could take a picture of it and it had rebooted before I had gotten back. I then rebooted my PC and reset the multiplier back to 39 and put the voltage off manual and to Auto (I think that is the default but if that is not could someone tell me so I can fix it before it melts my cpu?). It set the voltage to 1.200 btw. Should that undo of the overclock fix it? or is there another reason why it messed up. I want to overclock it back to 4.5 or something like that, so I would like to fix the problem. I will not have access to this computer for about a week and a half because I am going out of town, but I will have some time to respond to your suggestions.

Specs:

i5-6600k

Asus z170-k

HyperX 2133 Ram

gtx 980 4g

Windows boots off an Adata 256g SSD

Whatever 700w PSU iBuyPower ships their PCs with.

TL;DR - PC booted up with a screen that said Overclock Failed. PC passed 20min. Stress Test. Some time later, PC freezes and displays error screen. I undo overclock that has worked fine for a month.

2 minutes ago, SCGazelle said:

Hi, so I booted up my PC today and I was met with an American Megatrends (I think that's what it was) screen that listed my PC specs and then at the end said Overclocked Failed. I have been using a 28% overclock on my i5-6600k to make it 4.5ghz for a month now and it is cooled with a 120mm liquid cooler. So I was very surprised when it displayed that screen. I ran the OCCT Stress Test for as long as I could because I had to get some work done. I was able to do other stuff for 20min. and when I exited the stress test my computer seemed to be perfectly fine. But then right after I exited a Word Doc, my computer froze and after about 10 seconds, it displayed a blue screen with that weird text emote (I think that's what it is called) and some text that said "Windows detected/is fixing a problem" or something like that. It also displayed a QR code and an error code, but I had rushed to get my phone so I could take a picture of it and it had rebooted before I had gotten back. I then rebooted my PC and reset the multiplier back to 39 and put the voltage off manual and to Auto (I think that is the default but if that is not could someone tell me so I can fix it before it melts my cpu?). It set the voltage to 1.200 btw. Should that undo of the overclock fix it? or is there another reason why it messed up. I want to overclock it back to 4.5 or something like that, so I would like to fix the problem. I will not have access to this computer for about a week and a half because I am going out of town, but I will have some time to respond to your suggestions.

Specs:

i5-6600k

Asus z170-k

HyperX 2133 Ram

gtx 980 4g

Windows boots off an Adata 256g SSD

Whatever 700w PSU iBuyPower ships their PCs with.

TL;DR - PC booted up with a screen that said Overclock Failed. PC passed 20min. Stress Test. Some time later, PC freezes and displays error screen. I undo overclock that has worked fine for a month.

Huw, see if there is a newer BIOS version and try the overclock again. What where the temperatures from the system? Did you overclock the RAM?

Yours faithfully

2 hours ago, SCGazelle said:

I undo overclock that has worked fine for a month.

It's obvious that your OC is unstable. Just because it has been "fine for a month" doesn't mean it's actually a good OC.

Anyway, let me teach you how to OC:

1. Put everything at stock and votlages at a set 1.2v.
  2. Get Prime95 28.9 (latest version).
  3. Fire the small test for around 15min and:
    1. If temps are below 81C, increase the voltage by a notch.
    2. If temps are around 81~83, leave voltage as is.
    3. If temps are at 84 or above, decrease voltage a notch.
  4. Repeat 3 as necessary until you find your max safe voltage.
  5. Now that you've found your voltage, put your desired multiplier.
  6. Stress test for around 30min. If it fails / crashes, bump it down by one. Repeat until stable.

And remember, if it ever crashes / BSOD, decrease the multi again.

Want to help researchers improve the lives on millions of people with just your computer? Then join World Community Grid distributed computing, and start helping the world to solve it's most difficult problems!