Australian banks say Apple Pay is anticompetitive, appeal to anti-trust regulators

blaze756

"Three of Australia's major banks on Wednesday filed a joint application with the Australian Competition and Consumer Commission to force Apple into negotiations over the installation of third-party mobile payments software on iPhone. "

"This is about providing Australians with real choice and better outcomes," said Lance Blockley, a senior advisor at Novantas speaking on behalf of the banks. "If successful, the application would have tremendous benefits for the entire Australian mobile payments landscape including for public transport fares, airlines, ticketing, store loyalty and rewards programs and many more applications yet to be developed."

Being a user of Apple Pay, and loving it, not having to unlock my phone and also having the ability to use my watch (even when my phone is't present) that is extremely handy as well, albeit a lot more awkward to do. 

I feel that unless Apple also opened up the Apple Pay API, everyone solution would be garbage in comparison. Being able to hold my phone next to the NFC terminal takes literally seconds since I don't have to unlock my phone and look around pages of apps for my bank app, then sign into that one and so on, holding everyone up while you do so. Apple will open up the NFC at some point not necessarily iOS 10 or 11 but they will, they'll have to and when they do it'll cause a lot of apps that just don't hold up as well as Apple Pay's senselessness and perfect integration into iOS. However saying that it will benefit all these other areas is true, although to my knowledge a lot of these can be achieved though Apple's wallet app, but I may be wrong and it probably only allowed for certain developers.

OP: http://appleinsider.com/articles/16/07/27/australian-banks-say-apple-pay-is-anticompetitive-appeal-to-anti-trust-regulators

17698-15431-16693-13690-160427-ANZ_Bank-l-l.jpg

apple pay is fucking useless in canada

i mean, it only allows american express and american express is accepted: nowhere. also, last i heard ~10% of canadians use american express.. 

i can't even use american express at nofrills, mcdonalds, wendys, mall or even timmies.. 

not even ncix/canada computers says yes to american express i think

come back apple pay, when you support mastercard and visa c:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

honestly, i see no point in opening up the API other than third party banking support.. i mean, nfc is cool and all but really for me theres no point. no nfc is the same as nfc for me :P 

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

10 minutes ago, themctipers said:

i mean, it only allows american express and american express is accepted: nowhere. also, last i heard ~10% of canadians use american express.. 

i can't even use american express at nofrills, mcdonalds, wendys, mall or even timmies.. 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

honestly, i see no point in opening up the API other than third party banking support.. i mean, nfc is cool and all but really for me theres no point. no nfc is the same as nfc for me :P 

It was the same here (Australia) for about 6 months until one of the major banks decided to support. The other major banks and minor banks for that matter haven't budged at all. I mean seriously guys you make billions of dollars a year what a couple of million to you?

9 minutes ago, themctipers said:

Same in Australia at the moment... only AMEX cards provided by AMEX directly work via Apple Pay... bank AMEX cards aren't supported... very frustrating and sad for me as an iPhone user and iPhone videographer... :(

But MasterCard and VISA support was blocked due to the banks not being happy with the terms and conditions provided by Apple, considered by them is almost "cartel" like. I'm currently consulting at one of these big banks in Aus.

My profile... HERE

Join the Disqussions... https://disqus.com/home/channel/techinquisition/

3 minutes ago, blaze756 said:

It was the same here (Australia) for about 6 months until one of the major banks decided to support. The other major banks and minor banks for that matter haven't budged at all. I mean seriously guys you make billions of dollars a year what a couple of million to you?

1 minute ago, Tech Inquisition said:

Same in Australia at the moment... only AMEX cards provided by AMEX directly work via Apple Pay... bank AMEX cards aren't supported... very frustrating and sad for me as an iPhone user and iPhone videographer... :(

But MasterCard and VISA support was blocked due to the banks not being happy with the terms and conditions provided by Apple, considered by them is almost "cartel" like. I'm currently consulting at one of these big banks in Aus.

im just here like holy fucking shit, get it over and allow apple pay

for now, ill be sticking to sticking money inside my iphone case and taking it out when i need it xD 

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

7 minutes ago, Tech Inquisition said:

ANZ supports Apple Pay in its entirety. The other three are the ones currently appealing.

28 minutes ago, themctipers said:

Why are you so dumb? Apple pay 100% works in canada lmao ITS BEEN WORKING FOR OVER A MONTH OR MORE?! FFS.... my gf uses it all the time with HER TD BANK DEBIT AND CREDIT CARD... RBC ALSO SUPPORTS IT WHAT ARE YOU ON? You should maybe search something up before posting about it...

Just now, Zeeee said:

Why are you so dumb? Apple pay 100% works in canada lmao ITS BEEN WORKING FOR OVER A MONTH OR MORE?! FFS.... my gf uses it all the time with HER TD BANK DEBIT AND CREDIT CARD... RBC ALSO SUPPORTS IT WHAT ARE YOU ON? You should maybe search something up before posting about it...

last time i checked in april or something it was AMEX only.

shit nobody in my family uses TD or RBC

also its been working since late 2014 :P

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

1 minute ago, themctipers said:

last time i checked in april or something it was AMEX only.

shit nobody in my family uses TD or RBC

also its been working since late 2014 :P

As of June 1, 2016, Apple Pay has expanded to include support for Visa, MasterCard and Interac. The partners for the service are RBC, CIBC, TD Canada Trust, Scotiabank, BMO, ATB Financial (Alberta)

happy? 

1 minute ago, Zeeee said:

As of June 1, 2016, Apple Pay has expanded to include support for Visa, MasterCard and Interac. The partners for the service are RBC, CIBC, TD Canada Trust, Scotiabank, BMO, ATB Financial (Alberta)

happy? 

holy shit

scotiabank

yes

let me use applepay at fucking...... brb (googles apple pay locations toronto 2016)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

Just now, themctipers said:

holy shit

scotiabank

yes

let me use applepay at fucking...... brb (googles apple pay locations toronto 2016)

everywhere.... you can use it ANYWHERE THERES A TAP CARD...

Just now, Zeeee said:

everywhere.... you can use it ANYWHERE THERES A TAP CARD...

holy shit

this is news to me.

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

2 hours ago, themctipers said:

holy shit

this is news to me.

Yeah it works as a normal contactless card in literally any place even if they dont dont officially support apple pay

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

2 hours ago, blaze756 said:

Being a user of Apple Pay, and loving it, not having to unlock my phone and also having the ability to use my watch (even when my phone is't present) that is extremely handy as well, albeit a lot more awkward to do. 

I feel that unless Apple also opened up the Apple Pay API, everyone solution would be garbage in comparison. Being able to hold my phone next to the NFC terminal takes literally seconds since I don't have to unlock my phone and look around pages of apps for my bank app, then sign into that one and so on, holding everyone up while you do so. Apple will open up the NFC at some point not necessarily iOS 10 or 11 but they will, they'll have to and when they do it'll cause a lot of apps that just don't hold up as well as Apple Pay's senselessness and perfect integration into iOS. However saying that it will benefit all these other areas is true, although to my knowledge a lot of these can be achieved though Apple's wallet app, but I may be wrong and it probably only allowed for certain developers.

OP: http://appleinsider.com/articles/16/07/27/australian-banks-say-apple-pay-is-anticompetitive-appeal-to-anti-trust-regulators

17698-15431-16693-13690-160427-ANZ_Bank-l-l.jpg

Until Android Pay  or Microsoft Wallet 2.0 are released around the world, contactless mobile payment will be exclusive to apple customers.

And as we know they don't make up the majority of the market and thus many people suffer. Why don't they make the whole system open source so that other people can implement apple pay? I know it would make them lose money and lose a competitive advantage but still.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

8 hours ago, ShadowCaptain said:

Yeah it works as a normal contactless card in literally any place even if they dont dont officially support apple pay

I've been using apple pay a lot here, when I had to cancel and order a new bank card last weekend, I felt so lost for few days because I don't even have/carry any cash on me anymore. It is that convenient to use lol. 

12 hours ago, blaze756 said:

PIC

It is not saying apple must open up the apple pay API but to allow google wallet (example) to be installed and usable on a iPhone.

if you want to annoy me, then join my teamspeak server ts.benja.cc

9 hours ago, AluminiumTech said:

Until Android Pay or Microsoft Wallet 2.0 are released around the world, contactless mobile payment will be exclusive to apple customers.

What? Android has had NFC payments for a year or two.

CPU: i7 4770k | GPU: Sapphire 290 Tri-X OC | RAM: Corsair Vengeance LP 2x8GB | MTB: GA-Z87X-UD5HCOOLER: Noctua NH-D14 | PSU: Corsair 760i | CASE: Corsair 550D | DISPLAY:  BenQ XL2420TE

Firestrike scores - Graphics: 10781 Physics: 9448 Combined: 4289

"Nvidia, Fuck you" - Linus Torvald

10 hours ago, ShadowCaptain said:

I think we're far ahead when it comes to contactless in the UK nearly every shop and most services support it. 

CPU: i7 5820k @4.4GHz | MoboMSI MPower X99A | RAM: 16GB DDR4 Quad Channel Corsair LP | GPU: EVGA 1080 FTW Case: Define R5 Black Window | OS: Win 10 Pro

Storage: SanDisk Ultra II 960GB 2x WD Red 4TB | PSU: EVGA 750W G2 | Display:Acer XF270HU + Dell U2515H | Cooling: Phanteks PH-TC14PE

Keyboard: Ducky One  TKL Browns | Mouse: Steel Series Rival 300 | Sound: DT990s

37 minutes ago, Tigerbomb8 said:

My HTC m7 had nfc no idea what supported it back then tho. 

CPU: i7 5820k @4.4GHz | MoboMSI MPower X99A | RAM: 16GB DDR4 Quad Channel Corsair LP | GPU: EVGA 1080 FTW Case: Define R5 Black Window | OS: Win 10 Pro

Storage: SanDisk Ultra II 960GB 2x WD Red 4TB | PSU: EVGA 750W G2 | Display:Acer XF270HU + Dell U2515H | Cooling: Phanteks PH-TC14PE

Keyboard: Ducky One  TKL Browns | Mouse: Steel Series Rival 300 | Sound: DT990s

2 hours ago, Tigerbomb8 said:

nope. were talking about canada fucking apple brought apple pay to canada so wtf is with google? Honestly google treats canadians like shit, were always getting things WAY LATER THAN THE STATES whereas apple doesnt do that, i love my nexus 6p but ffs i need mobile payment here in canada google get ur shit together 

Man...I still can't use my damned galaxy with westpac NFC at woolies or coles... weirdly works at the tiny little asian shop around the corner though.

"The wheel?" "No thanks, I'll walk, its more natural" - thus was the beginning of the doom of the Human race.
Cheese monger.

On 7/27/2016 at 1:26 AM, themctipers said:

If I was a store owner I wouldn't accept american express either.  It balloons the cost of transactions too much, and is really a hidden tax that the seller pays.  This in turn means that the seller has to increase the cost of their goods just to remain viable.  Wish that the % amount creditcards and pay features charge per transaction was show on the receipt so people would clue in how this crap works.

The long and short of it is, any responsible store that cares about their customers shouldn't accept amx.  Indeed a lot of specialty CC and payment programs should be looked at in greater scrutiny by everyone.