Cardboard Pentium 4 PC "Fire Hazard"

JoeCoke

Edit: Just to make things clear, this PC's name is just a joke. This PC is not going to catch on fire.

1. This PC is running at 40ishc idle.

2. Cardboard catches fire at around 400c. Big difference between 40 and 400.

3. This PC is never even plugged in unless I'm watching it.

Been working like a slave cleaning my hoarder basement for the last two weeks. I needed some time to screw off and do something unproductive, so here we go.

I have like a million of these IBM Pentium 4 machines and a million boxes, so I put the two together to create the latest member of my computer family, “Fire hazard”. I know this isn't unique and I know this has been done a million times before, but it didn't stop me. This was more fun to do than I'd like to admit.

Here's the poor PC I gutted to create this monstrosity.

9PEZwbg.png

Here's the box I used.

0kmVb74.png

Fast forward about an hour later and here's what we got. On the front you can notice the cotton swab power button, power and HDD LEDs and two USB ports. Also notice the wittle case feet. :D Don't worry, total quality is at work!

xpMiemn.png

Here on the side you can see a little window with an intake fan.

MesE3ZL.png

Here's the back!

Md7Pg53.png

Now let's open the box using advanced twist tie technology.

ZQ0q5jJ.png

Here it is. As you can see, this was a really close fit and I got REALLY lucky! And yes, that is a stock intel fan being used as an exhaust fan. xD

ahnIllj.png

Here you can see this beauty fired up and booted into a completely stock Windows XP.

MWRilhl.png

I have no idea if this will even be used. I might end up tearing it down and putting it back in its original case.

Wadda you think?

i7 2600k @ 5GHz 1.49v - EVGA GTX 1070 ACX 3.0 - 16GB DDR3 2000MHz Corsair Vengence

Asus p8z77-v lk - 480GB Samsung 870 EVO w/ W10 LTSC - 2x1TB HDD storage - 240GB SATA SSD w/ W7 - EVGA 650w 80+G G2

3x 1080p 60hz Viewsonic LCDs, 1 glorious Dell CRT running at anywhere from 60hz to 120hz

Model M w/ Soarer's adapter - Logitch g502 - Audio-Techinca M20X - Cambridge SoundWorks speakers w/ woofer

4 minutes ago, CUDA_Cores said:

not a good idea to put the space-heater pentium 4 in a cardboard box, just sayin'

Hence its name "fire hazard". lmao

i7 2600k @ 5GHz 1.49v - EVGA GTX 1070 ACX 3.0 - 16GB DDR3 2000MHz Corsair Vengence

Asus p8z77-v lk - 480GB Samsung 870 EVO w/ W10 LTSC - 2x1TB HDD storage - 240GB SATA SSD w/ W7 - EVGA 650w 80+G G2

3x 1080p 60hz Viewsonic LCDs, 1 glorious Dell CRT running at anywhere from 60hz to 120hz

Model M w/ Soarer's adapter - Logitch g502 - Audio-Techinca M20X - Cambridge SoundWorks speakers w/ woofer

It's fine! Don't see any problem here.

And afaik cardboard usually starts smoking quite a lot before it actually catches fire if you just use pure heat...

So it should give you a nice warning before it actually catches fire.

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

I just put your name on the Darwin Awards as a potential candidate. If anything happens and you end up burning in a blaze of glory rest assured that the world will read about it and know that you knew in advance that this would happen but did it anyway. :D

15 minutes ago, MaxBunny said:

I just put your name on the Darwin Awards as a potential candidate. If anything happens and you end up burning in a blaze of glory rest assured that the world will read about it and know that you knew in advance that this would happen but did it anyway. :D

lmao xD

No worries though, cardboard catches fire at over 400c. P4s are hot, but not THAT hot.

there's an idiot born every minute.......... oh, wait a minute, that's a sucker.......... never mind........

1 hour ago, LabRat said:

there's an idiot born every minute.......... oh, wait a minute, that's a sucker.......... never mind........

It's running at 42c idle. Cardboard ignites at over 400c. Nothing really stupid about this except for the fact that it's useless and a waste of time. :)

I think it'll be fine as long as you keep an eye or extinguisher nearby. If you have a plastic container...

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

Quick update: After hours of running Prime95, the highest temp the CPU hit was 70c. WTF, this cardboard box is keeping the system almost 10c cooler than the original case... I have no words.