Buy Surface 3 now, or wait?

Henry

Yo guys I need ur help.

I want to get a Surface for school/class use for college. I'm thinking of using it for reading textbooks and writing notes. School starts on Sept. 22nd. I'm looking at the Surface 3 (which released on may 5th, 2015),which I can get new for ~$525 including the type cover and surface pen.

If you guys were in my shoes, what would you do (and please comment below on your reasoning)? I also have a MacBook Air btw, but that will be my "daily driver" while the surface is for textbooks and writing notes.

*READ THE POST BEFORE VOTING*
http://www.strawpoll.me/10841794

Folding for LTT since April 2016.

Thread moved to Phones and Tablets.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

I wouldn't buy a surface, they're pretty but every single one I've handled has had reliability issues. All generations.

- Silverstone TJ08B-E - Gigabyte Z87M-D3H - i7 4770k @ 4.0GHZ 1.2v - 16gb Kingston HyperX Black 1600 - Gigabyte GTX 770 OC 4GB -

- Silverstone Fortress FT02 - MSI Z77 Mpower - i5 3570k @ 4.0GHZ 1.09v - 8gb Mushkin Blackline 1600 - MSI GTX 670 PE -

- Lenovo T430 (1600x900) - i5 3210m - 8GB DDR3 1333 - nVidia NVS5400M - 256GB mSATA OS - 320GB HDD-

3 hours ago, unidentical said:

I wouldn't buy a surface, they're pretty but every single one I've handled has had reliability issues. All generations.

Although I dont own a surface. I can tell you that the last review I watched at the Tek Syndicate and the last few reviews from Linus, I ended up not purchasing one when I was looking for a new laptop last year. Lenovo has their Nix series which is similar to the surface. Or you can look in to a convertible. 

The most important thing is reliability and battery life as well as weight. 

Also keep in mind, not all books are ebooks. I go to Eastern Michgian University. We have had professors who have written their own books. Yeah. If it were me, Id probably go with something like or designed like a Lenovo Yoga. This way you have a semi good typing experience. Just keep it small, try for like 12 or 13 inches. Or go for a cheap Windows tablet like my sister did. She has a nice laptop for doing important stuff. Then she has this HP tablet with 2 Gb of Ram and like 32Gigs of storage. It was enough to take notes and stuff at school, when she didnt have the space or the want of lugging her computer around. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

Surface 3... no... weak in performance,with its Atom CPU, and eMMC storage.

Get the Pro series.

I have been having a great experience with my Surface Pro 2 and 3. I won't claim it is perfect device, but I have never used any laptop that is perfect. I can all point a long list of issues. I think if Microsoft either drops Intel integrated graphics, or make their driver in house like Apple, it would solve SOOOOO many problems that Surface users faced. Intel sucks at making graphics solutions, and it ruins the experience of the system. It takes forever for Intel to get things... OK. But aside from this, solid system, highly recommend.

But the truth is: If you don't plan to use the pen... don't get a Surface.. you can find cheaper systems. If you want the pen. Sadly, at the moment of release of each Surface line, Microsoft offers the best pen experience you can get, and considering that the technology is still not perfect, you really want to get the best of the best.