My friends new PC

Go to solution Solved by Damocles,
1 minute ago, FilipSebik said:

He don't want to change it I say but what about the PSU or mobo?

Well... what can be said? The PSU and Mobo are pretty much up there. No reason to be concerned as he's paying a premium for really good hardware.

What's this for? Gaming or content creation?

Blue screens eh? Did you try setting it to Wumbo?

58 minutes ago, Damocles said:

What's this for? Gaming or content creation?

Gaming

You could tell us what he is going to do with it though...

Gaming on this would make no sense

58 minutes ago, Z-Gaming said:

You could tell us what he is going to do with it though...

Gaming on this would make no sense

He wouldn't change it anyways but its futureproof af

Dial it back to the 6700K. The new Broadwell E, or at least that 6800k is more meant for multi-threaded stuff like content creation. Sporting less cores with higher speeds is better for gaming, Also 4GB sticks are a waste of slots if you ask me

58 minutes ago, Z-Gaming said:

Yup... no sense. A i7-6700k with a Z170 MOBO would be better and cheaper

1 minute ago, FilipSebik said:

Well... what can be said? The PSU and Mobo are pretty much up there. No reason to be concerned as he's paying a premium for really good hardware.

Overkill PSU, and definitely go for a Z170 board and i7-6700k.

Main Gaming Rig:

Spoiler

Core i7-4770, Cryorig M9i Cooler, ASUS B85M GAMER, 8GB HyperX Fury Red 2x4GB 1866MHz, KFA2 GTX 970 Infin8 Black Edition "4GB", 1TB Seagate SSHD, 256GB Crucial m4 SSD, 60GB Corsair SSD for Kerbal and game servers, Thermaltake Core V21 Case, EVGA SuperNOVA 650W G2.

Secondary PC:

Spoiler

i5-2500k OCed, Raijintek Themis, Intel Z77GA-70K, 8GB HyperX Genesis in grey, GTX 750 Ti, Gamemax Falcon case.

4 minutes ago, FilipSebik said:

They are fine, more than that. and waaay more than enough... I mean... if he has the money for such an overkill yay him, but i think everyone in here would agree there is no need. Futureproof AF? Sure, but using 50%of your CPU at max load (while gaming) is just not right. you want to get the best performance out of your PC, not make sure it will be OK for the next 10 years when itll be old AF

58 minutes ago, NinjaJc01 said:

Overkill PSU, and definitely go for a Z170 board and i7-6700k.

Nope, he wouldn't change it

59 minutes ago, Damocles said:

He's an enthusiast :DDDDD Thanks for helping

3 minutes ago, FilipSebik said:

He's an enthusiast :DDDDD Thanks for helping

Nope... that's not waht an enthusiast is (that's just wasting money with no reason)... anyways, i'm not here to judge. Hope he enjoys his beast

The cpu and the motherboard are WAY overkill. Get an inexpensive x99 board if you insist on broadwell-e, but you will see no tangible benefit from a 6800k to a 6700k in gaming perfomance

2 minutes ago, brodieslee said:

The cpu and the motherboard are WAY overkill. Get an inexpensive x99 board if you insist on broadwell-e, but you will see no tangible benefit from a 6800k to a 6700k in gaming perfomance

Nope, he'll see it. It's actually going to do slightly worse in games by about 2-3 FPS. The 6800K is not optimized for games after all. But then again, he could just overclock it correctly using turbo boost 3.0 and they'll do the about the same in games on top of having that option of content creation down the road.

16 hours ago, Damocles said:

Nope, he'll see it. It's actually going to do slightly worse in games by about 2-3 FPS. The 6800K is not optimized for games after all. But then again, he could just overclock it correctly using turbo boost 3.0 and they'll do the about the same in games on top of having that option of content creation down the road.

I will overclock it for him, build it for him and the only thing he will do is buy it :D

But I don't know how I would overclock it because I overclocked my 4690K (4.5GHz), 5820K (4.0GHz) and C2D E6420 (2.8GHz) but I never have overclocked any broadwell-e CPU or skylake. If you can tell me any advice how to do it then I would be happy. As we have such big OC headroom with Kelvin S36

8 hours ago, FilipSebik said:

I will overclock it for him, build it for him and the only thing he will do is buy it :D

But I don't know how I would overclock it because I overclocked my 4690K (4.5GHz), 5820K (4.0GHz) and C2D E6420 (2.8GHz) but I never have overclocked any broadwell-e CPU or skylake. If you can tell me any advice how to do it then I would be happy. As we have such big OC headroom with Kelvin S36

Ask you friend what kind of overclock he wants, I'd ask him these questions:

1. Are you afraid of a hotter than normal processor?

2. What is the most intensive application you're going to run?*

3. Do you need to save power when idle?*

4. Do you prefer higher stability or faster speed?*

5. Do you mind the PC running louder at full load?

6. Do you intend on upgrading within 5 years?

7. If the CPU fries, are you able to buy a new one?

The questions with * are the more important ones

12 hours ago, Damocles said:

Ask you friend what kind of overclock he wants, I'd ask him these questions:

1. Are you afraid of a hotter than normal processor?

2. What is the most intensive application you're going to run?*

3. Do you need to save power when idle?*

4. Do you prefer higher stability or faster speed?*

5. Do you mind the PC running louder at full load?

6. Do you intend on upgrading within 5 years?

7. If the CPU fries, are you able to buy a new one?

The questions with * are the more important ones

1. No

2. Minecraft? or GTA V

3. No

4. Stability

5. Headphones

6. Not even within 7 years

7. Maybe but it shouldn't with 360mm rad

And the OC should be like 4.0GHz or if the thermals would allow for 4.5GHz then its ok

Disclaimer, but just the process I would do when I overclock. I am not responsible if your stuff fries however unlikely it is. Following my own personal method for your specific needs are as follows:

Turn to manual and aim for 3.8Ghz with 1.3V on manual mode as well. Adjust the multiplier to 38 with a base clock of 100Mhz. Sync all cores for now. Turn off C states or you can turn off C1E if explicitly available. Turn something called VRM switching, if available, maximum and spread spectrum off. Have current capability or similarly worded features to max, this won't fry your board rather it would stop limiting the overclock. Turn off EIST to improve stability but the CPU will run at 100% speed 100% of the time. You may have something called Load Line Calibration or other calibrations and there's several ways to go about it. You'd have to feel the exact level as each CPU is more stable under different settings for these calibrations, hence its called calibrations. Higher LLC is more stable but more temps, but lower is cooler but less stable. If 3.8Ghz is good, push the multiplier up by 1 and so on. If it crashes up the voltage a bit more.

When booted and testing for stability. I use realbench ROG and do the benchmark. If it completes 3-5 times it's pretty much stable under constant high load. Then use intel XTU and use its benchmark 3 times, this will test the stability of constantly varying workloads like switching between high and low usages. Lastly, run CineBench and see if it can handle daily loads like this. Cinebench isn't anywhere near as intensive as realbench or XTU bench but it does give you an idea of how consistent your performance is going to be under normal work loads. Monitor temps not to be over 90 degrees but it's pretty safe from 80-90 degrees is good because 80-90 at max load is like 50-60 degrees average under realistic load.

Lastly, you can go back into the BIOS now and turn up cache frequency. You don't need to up any voltages just the cache frequency max multiplier from stock inching your way up to your CPU frequency but don't pass it. If at any point the computer no longer passes the benchmarks, just leave the cache frequency to its previously stable value but it's not likely to happen with skylake. Lastly, turbo boost 3.0 allows you to set certain cores to run faster. The 1 marked with the * in the bios can be clocked higher by about 100 or 200Mhz and can imrpvoe gaming performance. You can also use intel's XTU to gain another 100-200Mhz when not all cores are active.

Lastly, and be it most important, I feel safe enough overclocking my setup to 1.5 volts which I've tried. I wouldn't go past 1.5 volts because at that point no consumer grade cooler can keep up anyways (experience) and you'll likely thermal throttle and lose performance even if that extra .1 V gives you another 100Mhz stable it may throttle away 500 Mhz. I would suggest monitoring your temps to see if you can even push it to 1.5 V before the cooler can't keep up. My H115I AIO cooler can't keep up at 1.48 Volts and started consistently throttling at 1.5 V but your mileage may vary. Hope this gives you an idea on how the overclock is done, you'll be spending days on this getting the tuning process right. I'd bet 4.4 is the best you'd get