Cortana Can Not Be Turned Off In The Windows 10 Anniversary Update

LAwLz
2 minutes ago, AlexTheRose said:

There will be no drop-in replacement for Windows because of its ubiquity. No single OS is going to come in and take Windows’ market share anytime soon, and if that does happen it’s most certainly not going to be any relevant OS on the market today.

Android is for smartphones and tablets, not desktops. GNU/Linux is cemented around the philosophy of free and open-source software, unlike anything else. SteamOS is just for gaming. OS X would be nice but it’s not affordable to the average user, and iOS is like Android in that it’s not for desktops.

It baffles me why everying is looking onward to GNU/Linux like some saviour to Microsoft’s evil empire, when there are countless avid Linux users and developers who saw this train wreck with Windows coming literally a decade before it happened. They knew Microsoft was going to go downhill, and they jumped ship before Vista even existed.

And besides, the notion of everything “just working” isn’t very practical without a corporate backbone to make it just work for you. And with a corporate backbone comes a motive of profit. Organizations like Arch and Debian would rather see people educate themselves about the software they’re using and learn how to manipulate it at least to some degree, and if you think about it that’s pretty reasonable coming from a non-profit company.

Regardless, there will be no solution that makes it both free and easy. You can’t be ignorant about your software and expect it to work in your favour. So don’t expect that – either learn about Linux (believe me, it’s not that difficult, I did it when I was 14), or pick your corporate flavour.

I feel that is why android is doing so well it because of googles backing, not because its Linux based

if you want to annoy me, then join my teamspeak server ts.benja.cc

8 hours ago, GoodBytes said:

Get used to it then. I don't know what to say. I never knew informing people is now advertisement. Many people on the forum don't know. So what can I say.

I will try later on today, and let you know.

It's not that you're informing them, it's the tone with which you do it. It comes of as more of an advertisement rather than a neutral "hey look at this".

Now, It's worth pointing out, because you will no doubt do so, that every single topic I make, is blatantly biased as hell. And this is very true. The difference is, that I'm not a moderator, or otherwise someone in a position of authority. That's my issue here. I wouldn't give two shits (well, I would give maybe one shit because I disagree with you completely in every way on the subject of Windows 10) about you having bias, if you were a regular ass user.

Meh. I've spoken my piece. Guess we'll have to agree to disagree.

Edit: And it doesn't matter whether or not you "abuse your power" in the context of your arguments. I would expect that if you did, you would not be a mod for long, but that doesn't really matter. The mere fact that you are a person in a position of authority, is going to effect the way people approach a discussion with you, if not somewhat discourage them from having that discussion at all.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

Now Cortana is going to be responding to lecturers in class worldwide.

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

On the one hand, I see no reason for them to have removed the ability to turn it off.  That's just going to needlessly annoy people.

On the other hand though, what does this actually entail?  What will change because of this?  It doesn't strike me as an issue, but maybe I'm just misunderstanding the implications...

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

Cortana isn't even available in NZ yet, so it's hard to turn on what doesn't exist!

Suckers...

Things we're still waiting for: 

1. Apple Pay, Android Pay, etc
  2. Cortana
  3. Resonable tech prices - Nvidia GTX1080 FE ~ $1499 (15% GST, no import tariffs/quotas) 

Cortana works out to be as useful as a door on the bottom of a canoe. 

PC - NZXT H510 Elite, Ryzen 5600, 16GB DDR3200 2x8GB, EVGA 3070 FTW3 Ultra, Asus VG278HQ 165hz,

Mac - 1.4ghz i5, 4GB DDR3 1600mhz, Intel HD 5000.  x2

Endlessly wishing for a BBQ in space.

On 7/26/2016 at 3:06 PM, JoeyDM said:

inb4 @GoodBytes and @AluminiumTech try to defend asinine garbage that just takes choice away from users. 

I have the latest Insider Build, we can't turn off Cortana, but honestly I never really cared in the first place. Haven't used her once yet.

2 minutes ago, byalexandr said:

I have the latest Insider Build, we can't turn off Cortana, but honestly I never really cared in the first place. Haven't used her once yet.

I am sure there will be a way to disable her entirely.  

PC - NZXT H510 Elite, Ryzen 5600, 16GB DDR3200 2x8GB, EVGA 3070 FTW3 Ultra, Asus VG278HQ 165hz,

Mac - 1.4ghz i5, 4GB DDR3 1600mhz, Intel HD 5000.  x2

Endlessly wishing for a BBQ in space.

I may be misunderstanding things, but isn't that thing a rebranding of the search feature, you can't disable Cortona but you can cripple her to the point where Cortona software is just a search bar? And if so, that's like disabling it entirely.

So, an update to my post.

I discovered that saying what I thought would disable Cortana, disables the "Hey Cortana' stuff, but if you type "tell me a joke", or "what is the weather like today/tomorrow?" type questions it still works. So the mic stuff is disabled, but not it fully.

I have to try what was suggested in breaking Cortana by renaming the app... I'll see if tonight I have time.

On 7/27/2016 at 10:00 AM, The Benjamins said:

I feel that is why android is doing so well it because of googles backing, not because its Linux based

Samsung's aggressive marketing too.

On 7/26/2016 at 3:16 PM, AluminiumTech said:

The only way to get most people to use it would be to not allow people to disable it.

Most people leave it disabled and never turn it on. Only Windows fans and Insiders enable it.

The thing is, is that a lot of people didn't ask for it and therefore didn't want it. Effectively making it a useless feature for most.

Microsoft forcing it on people isn't going to make it any better. Somethings in W10 seemingly need fixing. Cortana really wasn't one of them.

a Moo Floof connoisseur and curator.

:x@handymanshandle x @pinksnowbirdie || Jake x Brendan :x
Youtube Audio Normalization

It baffles me why everying is looking onward to GNU/Linux like some saviour to Microsoft’s evil empire, when there are countless avid Linux users and developers who saw this train wreck with Windows coming literally a decade before it happened. They knew Microsoft was going to go downhill, and they jumped ship before Vista even existed.

(@AlexTheRose) I think it can be but it'll take time. In between Windows 7 and 8, I was a bit of an iSheep though with some interests in Linux. Though ultimately Windows had won because of the ubiquity and support for it, and the fact that computers came pre-installed with it and I sort of knew how to install Ubuntu in at least a VM. I'm planning on having a dedicated drive for Debian or Ubuntu or Fedora so that I don't have to deal with a partition on a 250GB SSD. 

Regardless, there will be no solution that makes it both free and easy. You can’t be ignorant about your software and expect it to work in your favour. So don’t expect that – either learn about Linux (believe me, it’s not that difficult, I did it when I was 14), or pick your corporate flavour. As nice as it would be to have your cake and eat it too, the world unfortunately doesn’t work like that.

No unfortunately there can't be a free and easy solution, Linux has some easy and some hard parts to it. Debian for me is a bit of both worlds unlike Ubuntu. Which is something that really intrigues me about Debian is that while it's UI and UX aren't as good as Ubuntu's it still is easy enough to be a daily driver but complex enough to be a sort of sandbox if you will.

a Moo Floof connoisseur and curator.

:x@handymanshandle x @pinksnowbirdie || Jake x Brendan :x
Youtube Audio Normalization

I deleted the Cortana folder, its not even that hard; you can google how to do it but basically:

Step 1:Close Cortana in Task Manager

Step 2:Edit Permissions on the Cortana folder to allow editing by you (Hint *Right Click + Properties + Security)

Step 3:Delete that shit!!

Step 4: ????

Step 5: PROFIT!!!!

On 7/26/2016 at 1:08 PM, Centurius said:

Microsoft, making me more determined to switch to Linux Mint when I get a cpu that supports vt-d day by day.

What do you need VT-d for specifically? I'm just curious why VT-x isn't enough.

6 hours ago, thebest108 said:

I deleted the Cortana folder, its not even that hard; you can google how to do it but basically:

Step 1:Close Cortana in Task Manager

Step 2:Edit Permissions on the Cortana folder to allow editing by you (Hint *Right Click + Properties + Security)

Step 3:Delete that shit!!

Step 4: ????

Step 5: PROFIT!!!!

Alternatively:

Step 1: Boot into a Linux distro (live disc is easy enough)

Step 2: Delete the Cortana folder

Step 3: Reboot back into Windows 10

Step 4: ???

Step 5: PROFIT!

On 26.7.2016 at 10:06 PM, JoeyDM said:

inb4 @GoodBytes and @AluminiumTech try to defend asinine garbage that just takes choice away from users. 

You forget me.

I do not defend their choices, but you as a customer are not in the position to tell Microsoft what to do with their own product. Either buy the product or don't. 

5 minutes ago, Senzelian said:

You forget me.

I do not defend their choices, but you as a customer are not in the position to tell Microsoft what to do with their own product. Either buy the product or don't. 

Nope. Every customer has the right to voice their opinion on a product. Feedback is incredibly important and by saying "you're not in the position to tell them what to do" you are helping to kill feedback.

5 minutes ago, JoeyDM said:

Nope. Every customer has the right to voice their opinion on a product. Feedback is incredibly important and by saying "you're not in the position to tell them what to do" you are helping to kill feedback.

Provocation and calling something  ''asinine garbage'' is not the kind of feedback that is very helpful. 

7 minutes ago, Senzelian said:

Provocation and calling something  ''asinine garbage'' is not the kind of feedback that is very helpful. 

I disagree. An overwhelming heated response from a large amount of people is very effective feedback. Not as useful as something cohesive and well thought-out, but it can help supplement the latter. 

It's an interesting topic for sure. In the mobile world you have Apple with "Siri" and Google that chooses to use "ok google" as the trigger words to listen to voice command. Having used both I can say that google is more robust (asking google to remind me to "do x" or "remember y" on this date/time is unbelievably convenient).

I personally think this is microsoft yet again trying to shoehorn mobile features into windows in order to unify their different platforms, and make windows phones seem attractive. Its like mcdicks saying "hey we sell coffee" then proceeding to add cream to peoples coke/diet coke as if it were coffee and say "hey its good right? try our coffee too!" Meanwhile people are like "wtf you putting cream in my coke for?"

R9 3900XT | Tomahawk B550 | Ventus OC RTX 3090 | Photon 1050W | 32GB DDR4 | TUF GT501 Case | Vizio 4K 50'' HDR

5 hours ago, bobhays said:

What do you need VT-d for specifically? I'm just curious why VT-x isn't enough.

vt-x doesn't allow for direct hardware passthrough so a game in a Windows vm can't run off of the gpu directly.

Edit: 

1 hour ago, Senzelian said:

You forget me.

You'd have a point if we didn't already own the product. They are changing something currently in our possession so we can damn well tell them to shove it where the sun don't shine.

My Build:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 4770k GPU: GTX 780 Direct CUII Motherboard: Asus Maximus VI Hero SSD: 840 EVO 250GB HDD: 2xSeagate 2 TB PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 650W

2 hours ago, Centurius said:

vt-x doesn't allow for direct hardware passthrough so a game in a Windows vm can't run off of the gpu directly.

Edit: 

You'd have a point if we didn't already own the product. They are changing something currently in our possession so we can damn well tell them to shove it where the sun don't shine.

You don't own the product.
All you own is a license and because you signed an agreement, they can do whatever they want with it. 

1 minute ago, AlexTheRose said:

No one can stop you from being a rude devil’s advocate, but few people agree with your position. Microsoft will care when it starts to hurt their bottom line, so it’s the general consensus that angry customers voicing their distress would be a pretense to that.

I'm not saying you can't tell them that they're assholes.
But don't expect anything other than a friendly "F*ck you" from Microsoft if you do so.

In my case I will try to go the civilized way and either nicely tell their support what I think about their product or choose a different product.

18 hours ago, Senzelian said:

snip

The problem here is there is no close equivalent. Linux doesn't have nearly the support for software, games, etc. that windows does, and OS X doesnt run on anything other than apple hardware (it also has the game issue). A lot of people can't go anywhere other than an earlier version of windows.