Modding a 13" 2012 Macbook Pro

TubsAlwaysWins

So I have a Macbook Pro, and I've noticed it gets pretty hot. I don't really know where it draws air in for the fans, so I had an idea. Is it a good or bad idea to drill holes in the bottom piece of the body to let the fan pull in fresh air? 

Breaking things 1 day at a time

People have done this it helps a bit. I would do it personally. There made to run rot. Also the fans intake from the hinge and the keyboard.

7 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

People have done this it helps a bit. I would do it personally. There made to run rot. Also the fans intake from the hinge and the keyboard.

I thought it exhausted from the hinge. Also I looked and a new cover is like $10 so if I screw up I will be alright. What should I use to cut it? I'm between a drill press or a Dremel. I have access to some other tools to 

Just now, TubsAlwaysWins said:

I thought it exhausted from the hinge. Also I looked and a new cover is like $10 so if I screw up I will be alright. What should I use to cut it? I'm between a drill press or a Dremel. I have access to some other tools to 

It also intakes from the hinge.

If you want it to be nice, use a cnc or water cuter.

Id go drill press if you can get those. You could also cut away a good chunk form the bottom and weld metal mesh on there.

2 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

It also intakes from the hinge.

If you want it to be nice, use a cnc or water cuter.

Id go drill press if you can get those. You could also cut away a good chunk form the bottom and weld metal mesh on there.

I dont have access to a cnc machine or a water cutter, sadly. I'll probably use a drill press and just take some window mesh with some electrical tape to hold it on 

Just now, TubsAlwaysWins said:

I dont have access to a cnc machine or a water cutter, sadly. I'll probably use a drill press and just take some window mesh with some electrical tape to hold it on 

If your using a dill press, just drill a lot of small holes(probably 3/16). No mesh needed.

6 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

If your using a dill press, just drill a lot of small holes(probably 3/16). No mesh needed.

I don't know if it's just me but I feel like straight lines would look alot better than circles, but that obviously can't be done if I don't have a cnc machine 

56 minutes ago, TubsAlwaysWins said:

I don't know if it's just me but I feel like straight lines would look alot better than circles, but that obviously can't be done if I don't have a cnc machine 

Do you have a mill or access to someone who does it would be pretty simple to just mill some thin slots. You could go the dremel route also and clean it up with a file but that will take a lot of patience and a steady hand.